Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Giggle Goose posted:

I wonder how Cline sees himself. Does he know that his writing is awful and that his success is a literary black swan event? Does he see himself as some kind of auteur?

His wife is a slam poet so I have no doubt he really thinks he's good at words

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salacious Spy
May 29, 2010

Well the word got around they said this kid is insane, man
Banged in the mouth and now he's got AIDS, man

Giggle Goose posted:

I wonder how Cline sees himself. Does he know that his writing is awful and that his success is a literary black swan event? Does he see himself as some kind of auteur?

I take it you're unfamiliar with the type of people who write astoundingly terrible and self-serious fanfic

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Salacious Spy
May 29, 2010

Fear and Loathing remake looking kinda weird tbh

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

No thank you

Salacious Spy
May 29, 2010

my ex was from RR Martin's hometown and you know how one of GoT's running themes is that power doesn't give a poo poo what a goody two-shoes you are because everyone is actually a mercenary backstabbing rear end in a top hat and being upright and moral just makes you an easy target? yeah that miserable loving dump of a town is about as close to a real-life Westeros as you can get

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

quote:

The clacking of typewriter keys ceased, and we heard someone get up, followed by approaching footsteps. Then the door opened, and there he was, standing right in front of us, in the simulated flesh: John Wilden Hughes Jr.

He looked different from how he’d looked when I’d caught a glimpse of him a few hours earlier, as he was collecting his morning paper with the other middle-aged men of Shermer. His hair was longer and spikier. His glasses were bigger and rounder and had different frames. He had the same rounded features and the same sad, wise eyes. But he no longer wore the stern, impassive expression he’d had back when he was Mr. Johnson. Now that he was Mr. Hughes, he was full of energy and emotion—along with epic amounts of nicotine and caffeine, judging by all of the empty coffee cups on his desk, and the overflowing ashtray beside his enormous green IBM Selectric typewriter.

Behind his desk, carefully displayed on some shelves, were dozens of pairs of shoes—his famous sneaker collection, which continued to grow throughout his life.

“Art3mis!” he bellowed in an extremely deep voice, smiling wide in recognition as soon as he saw her. “I’ve been expecting you!”

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

He was a level 9000 super saiyan piss pig now and nothing could stop his Atari fueled lust for pepperoni pizza, just like his huge hogged Ninja Turtle avatar demanded on FOX NFL Sunday

Ardemia
Jan 2, 2004

IT IS MY RIGHT TO GET BEHIND THE WHEEL WHEN I'VE PUT BACK SIX SHIRLEY TEMPLES OK

:patriot:
This book is amazing loved it so much, made me laugh and cry so much, i love everything mr cline does so maybe im biased but i think he did amazing job in this sequal. If you loved ready player one and listebed to it or read it two does or more times like me theb youll love this book too. Thank you mr cline for making this and all your books, it helps me get through this thing we call life.

2 people found this helpful.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Is GRRM dead yet?

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

quote:

Ready Player Two trades the fun and wish fulfillment of its predecessor for a fundamentally flawed, inconsistent quest towards the singularity. Nerdy references abound, but they’re not enough to save a story centered around a protagonist who’s even tougher to root a second time questing after an artifact you start to wish he won’t find. The OASIS is still full of iconic pop culture mainstays, but this time around, there’s little heart to be found and this sequel suffers as a result.

"I still clapped each time I saw the references, but the subtext is bothering me a little, I'm just not sure how to parse it - almost like it's the author's genuine opinions and not a fantasy"

And here's the review for the first book, from 2012:

quote:

Ready Player One is geek crack, a novel that reads like a cross between Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and Tron, with a healthy dose of Avatar, The Matrix, The Last Starfighter and The Hunger Games thrown in for good measure.

[...]

So whether you know your Voight-Kampff from your Kobayashi Maru or not, Ready Player One is quite simply a must-read, an epic adventure crafted from the ground up for nostalgia junkies who love the movies, games and music of the 1980s, and those who simply like a rip-roaring story.

The reviewer's bio:

quote:

Chris Tilly is the Entertainment Editor for IGN in the UK and although he was born in the 1970s, he considers himself a child of the '80s. Chris can be found going on and on about Back to the Future on both Twitter and MyIGN.

Chris Tilly and Ernest Cline are, allegedly, not the same person.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

A Fancy Hat posted:

"I recognize these barrels. Wait a minute, I recognize these girders, too! Don't you see what's going on?"

Wade looked alarmed. The sword from Lord of the Rings that glows blue when it senses orcs was glowing blue right now, which meant orcs must be nearby. But, sadly, nobody else seemed to get it.

"Well," said Feivel from An American Tail, "I don't recognize it. What is it?"

"No, of course you wouldn't. You never spent a minute of your life in an arcade, not like me. It's from Donkey Kong, the arcade game. We're in the game."

"Oh no, does this mean we need to save the Princess?"

"Not even close. Again, if you played the game, you'd know that we're saving PAULINE. Jeez, you're lucky you have me around to keep you safe!"

Feivel prayed to his Jewish gods and thanked them for sending this great man to help him. He looked up at the top of the tower made of red girders. It reminded him of New York City, where he lived in the first movie but not the second one. In that one, he was in the old west.

loving lmao

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

ErrEff posted:

Chris Tilly and Ernest Cline are, allegedly, not the same person.

I do not believe that for a second

slow_twitch
Sep 21, 2005

Jim Long-un posted:

my ex read effectively zero books and one of the exceptions was RP1 which she claimed was one of the coolest books she'd ever read and that I'd probably like it because videogames. then she started to describe the premise to me and since she was my gf at the time I didn't tell her that whole diatribe made her sound like a complete dumbass but, it made her sound like a complete dumbass. anyway I broke up with her rear end by grabbing her tail and spinning around like Super Mario 64 and then after launching her into the air Dante and I went into Devil Trigger mode and air comboed her before I shoved a Bob-omb in her pussy and the resulting explosion blasted her off into the skybox like in Super Smash Bros

woah hey you should write a book about this cool poo poo

was a rush song playing in the background?

runnypoops
Mar 26, 2016

been there. done that. prove yourself to me.
wheres ready player three?

Giggle Goose
Oct 18, 2009
I do not understand this endless nostalgia worship in modern-American culture. The present is no picnic sure, but there is drat good new art out there in every medium that is and ever has been just about. Not just traditional films and TV shows, music, and writing, but also all the weird new subcultures created by the ubiquity of the internet. And that's just the poo poo coming out of the US! One of my friends has asked me to watch the movie with him about 5 times now and I just can't even understand the base appeal of the film (let alone the novel cause these loving passages y'all are posting are bat poo poo to the point I can't hardly tell which are the fakes and which are genuine excerpts). I'd say I'm too old to understand, but it sure seems like there are an awful lot of 30-40ish guys that are super into it. Are the younger crowd into this poo poo too?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Giggle Goose posted:

I do not understand this endless nostalgia worship in modern-American culture. The present is no picnic sure, but there is drat good new art out there in every medium that is and ever has been just about. Not just traditional films and TV shows, music, and writing, but also all the weird new subcultures created by the ubiquity of the internet. And that's just the poo poo coming out of the US! One of my friends has asked me to watch the movie with him about 5 times now and I just can't even understand the base appeal of the film (let alone the novel cause these loving passages y'all are posting are bat poo poo to the point I can't hardly tell which are the fakes and which are genuine excerpts). I'd say I'm too old to understand, but it sure seems like there are an awful lot of 30-40ish guys that are super into it. Are the younger crowd into this poo poo too?

Our (30-40) demographic get the references, since it's all from our time.

Ironically, you'd have to be mentally/emotionally 15-20 years behind that to actually love writing like Cline's.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Mordja posted:

Is GRRM dead yet?

Oh my god, Ernest Cline is going to finish ASoIaF

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

The 80s and 90s are worshipped because if you are white and were born in the suburbs you got to live in a fun little bubble of prosperity and comfort that started to fall apart after 9/11, IMO.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Duck Stab! posted:

Something tells me the author really enjoys "media."
to be fair if ready player one included the guy from the constantinople music video you know you'd wait in line for that poo poo

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

MrQwerty posted:

That is because Nintendo will sue the everloving loving poo poo out of a 3 year old for making a lovely crayon drawing of Mario and their parents for posting it on the internet, faster than you can blink

that's also why there aren't any references to Gumshoe Gooper

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Slotducks posted:

Y'all haven't even posted the piss poor attempt at being inclusive to non-binary people

https://twitter.com/CommisarE/status/1331364890930384897
THIS IS NOT loving REAL HOLY poo poo HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA WHAT THE gently caress IS WRONG WITH STRAIGHT PEOPLE

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

I love how jerking off is still the impetus for the character changing lmao.

homewrecker
Feb 18, 2010
imagine writing a story about a scavenger hunt that's set in a virtual world where anything is possible

and making your protagonist play an obscure arcade game which you spend paragraphs describing in great detail

and it's not even like they're having to reenact the video game by taking the place of the playable character, no, they're literally playing the cabinet version of it in a virtual reconstruction of an arcade in some small US town

doesn't that sound thrilling?!?!

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Stunt_enby posted:

THIS IS NOT loving REAL HOLY poo poo HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA WHAT THE gently caress IS WRONG WITH STRAIGHT PEOPLE

Conspicuously absent is sex with a woman as a man. Conclusion: the protagonist and the author are not straight. Maybe he doesn't know it yet though and this is like performative confusion about sexualities that aren't cis het male.

Edit: I like to think this Art3mis character was the inspiration for Elon musk's stupid baby name.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Giggle Goose posted:

Because with nostalgia you don't have to do anything financially risky like creating anything new. Just get the license of something from the demographic you want paying to watch it and call it a day.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The really sad part is this paragraph has multiple things that occur in the book for real.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Ernst Cline's second book Armada (though almost certainly written before Ready Player One and he just pulled it out of a drawer) is straight up the Last Starfighter but jam packed with 80s references.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Weka posted:

Edit: I like to think this Art3mis character was the inspiration for Elon musk's stupid baby name.

Elon Musk was born and named in the 70s, decades before this book came out.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Elman posted:

Elon Musk was born and named in the 70s, decades before this book came out.

No, his dumb baby's name. X AE A-XII.

Mrs. Dash
Apr 11, 2009

Groovelord Neato posted:

Ernst Cline's second book Armada (though almost certainly written before Ready Player One and he just pulled it out of a drawer) is straight up the Last Starfighter but jam packed with 80s references.

someone told me a character in Armada explicitly says "Wow this is exactly like the movie The Last Starfighter!"

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

I'm reminded of the We Are Legion book I tried to read.

Could barely make it through the first hour of the book because it had so many "jokes" that were just references to other media.

It seems such a lazy way to write a novel. Imagine if GRRM described his characters like "Ned Stark acts and looks like Aragorn from The Lord of the Rings, he had a grizzled look just like The Witcher". Sure he'd be able to actually finish his books but it's so lazy.

Or in the case of a sci-fi novel, imagine describing your space ship like "My ship was about half the size of a borg cube but only a third the size of the Death Star". What the hell does any of this mean to someone not already in the know?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Mrs. Dash posted:

someone told me a character in Armada explicitly says "Wow this is exactly like the movie The Last Starfighter!"

Supposedly the plot of Ready Player Two is exactly like Sword Art Online (I don't watch anime so I don't know) and a YouTuber theorized that Spielberg came up with the plot for this book with Cline during production of the movie and Cline couldn't tell him "that's just Sword Art Online" so instead he had a bunch of characters reference it in the text.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

Groovelord Neato posted:

Supposedly the plot of Ready Player Two is exactly like Sword Art Online (I don't watch anime so I don't know) and a YouTuber theorized that Spielberg came up with the plot for this book with Cline during production of the movie and Cline couldn't tell him "that's just Sword Art Online" so instead he had a bunch of characters reference it in the text.

Given that he's already written a book that copies the plot exactly of something else, why would Cline have any shame in doing it again?

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Jim Long-un posted:

my ex was from RR Martin's hometown and you know how one of GoT's running themes is that power doesn't give a poo poo what a goody two-shoes you are because everyone is actually a mercenary backstabbing rear end in a top hat and being upright and moral just makes you an easy target? yeah that miserable loving dump of a town is about as close to a real-life Westeros as you can get

Are you talking about Bayonne NJ? It's where they filmed the video for Popular by Nada Surf.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Groovelord Neato posted:

Does the main character's step sister fall in love with him?

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

"Wait, so this is what it's like... to be Superman?"

"That's right," said Superman. "This is what it's like to be me. You seem to be handling it extremely well, Wade. Better than I did when I first developed my powers."

"Well, you don't play as many games as I have without learning a LITTLE something about superpowers!"

Wade delicately used his heat vision to finish toasting his grilled cheese sandwich. It smelled amazing and he couldn't wait to take a bite.

Suddenly, the wall exploded behind them and out burst Shadow the Hedgehog. But something was wrong - he had a metal helmet on his head that completely covered his face. He pointed his trademark gun at Wade and Superman.

"Oh no!" said Wade. "Looks like whoever's mind controlling everyone got to Shadow, too!"

"Well old chum, let's see if you're faster than a speeding bullet!"

Wade was, he instantly disarmed Shadow and removed the mind control helmet. Shadow then quickly explained that the mind control device had been placed on his head by Magneto, from the X-Men entertainment franchise. Magneto was working with a mysterious other made scientist, too.

"It's gotta be Lex Luthor!" said Superman.

"No. I'm using your powers now Superman, and I can see the energy aura around every single living thing. Have you ever done this?"

"No, to be honest you're using my powers far better than I ever did. Wade, you truly are a Superman for the modern era. By the way, have you ever heard of the author Ernest Cline? I believe I would like to meet him one day, he seems like a great mind, a Superman in his own right."

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
Sorry but that's obviously fake. It doesn't say if it's marvel cinematic universe Magneto or comic book Magneto.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Hulk Hogan and the Undertaker from the WWE carried Wario to the precipice of Mt. Doom carrying the magic item.
No I said.
I sprinted toward them with Sonics spandex suit encasing every crease of me fully. "Gotta go fast..." I mouthed as I stole the item.
But it was too late. Cheetaro, from Thundercats, pounced on me. It was too late.
"It's too late." Said Cheetaro.
And with WonderWoman's lasso, bound me and threw me onto a train bound for hell on earth.
It was the camp from Schindler's List. And only my SpiderMan suit stayed red amongst the grey, white, and black. Truly, Ernest had Gone To Camp.