Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Croatoan posted:

Never mind, I just read one person's idea and it worked perfectly

Pour 2 cups water into 4 quart soup pan
Add steamer basket
Bring to a strong boil
Use tongs to add refrigerated eggs to basket and cover with lid
Steam for the time needed for your desired doneness for LARGE EGGS:
Six to seven minutes for runny yolks
Eight to nine minutes for medium set yolks
Twelve minutes for completely set yolks
After cooking, move eggs to a large pot of cold tap water
After 5 minutes, crack each egg shell and roll with palm on a hard surface/countertop, but do not peel yet.
Remove some shell and membrane at the large end of the egg and return the egg to the cold water for an additional 15 minutes. This will allow water to seep in between the egg and shell to make peeling later easier.
After a total of 20 minutes, peel the egg completely.

I always figured unless you're at altitude the 6 minute egg was long solved. Reinventing the wheel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

It was a cold January afternoon...

...and after the argument that followed i will show you how to make an amazing poached egg ramen from a hotel room microwave.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I do hunger for a fast food burg on occasion but shake shack is about the only place that may make it well. So I Might as well go to a local place at 8 vs 13 for a meal.

It's like how a taco bell order costs about as much as a local burrito place now.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Have you tried different peppers?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

to be labeled cured iirc it has to have pink salt as a nitrate. If you use like celery salt to cure you have to label it uncured.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I generally don't use the FP for doughs but when fat content reaches like above 8% it really is easier. That's basically only tavern pizza pies for me.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

After a few failures with cold oil fries, and knowing they can be delicious, I think I'm going back to the cast iron vs wok for frying.

Am I just delusional though?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Who gets tired of tacos?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

It is easier to use a centrifuge to see how much liquid releases.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Sure but that's like her superpower

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I almost freaked out because a 3 lb 3$ bag of onions was weighed and keyed in making it 4 bucks.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Hot dogs?!

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Alton brown is getting a tingling sensation and doesn't know why.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

The absolute best part was the gvt could have not acted on the referendum and after initiating could have just went "whoopse" for like 2 years.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

People do pretty disgusting things with dairy and tea.

Like condensed milk tea, yuk

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Veni has never had a thought expand beyond a concept of "me" and has, I assure you, never considered cheap meat is a product of human exploitation too.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Something that's wild to me is that within a 3 mile walk I can pass a place that sells the ofal cuts for like 2 to 4 a lb, bit pork chops for 12 and bone in ribey for 38. The non fufu place has chops at 1.50 a lb but the offal cuts substantially more.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

When you want it for primarily acid?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Things under vacuum get a real funky smell, wet aging iirc. Slime probably seals the deal but check the smell not right after opening the package

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Democratic Pirate posted:

Has anyone else run into bad chicken breasts? Setting aside the “yes, every time I eat a chicken breast :v:” joke, every so often I get a breast with extreme rubbery texture issues even though it was cooked the same way and to the same internal temp as breasts that come out perfect.

"Woody breast"

Worse than bloody thighs from a broken leg.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

When I was grilling, I tended to just use a griddle on top anyways. We prefer smashburgers to grilled and I found myself doing a lot of stuff that would have just been messy in the kitchen outside like hash browns on a griddle. The single burner was particularly useful for deep frying, but I'd also flop a wok over on top of it and make some Sonoran tortilla shells on it.

Can you elaborate on the tortilla? I found https://ladyandpups.com/2021/05/13/paper-thin-soft-chewy-sonoran-style-flour-tortilla/ which I could do with my camping skillet, and sure as poo poo am going to try. Regarding a wok though, I only saw reference in the comments pointing out the similarity to some Indian flatbread, and that was using the wok upside down.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Is yours a round bottom? I'm trying to convince myself to get a round bottom with just metal handles now...

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

a big green egg type grill to try and do everything may be worth it for two years. Best smoker at home imo after you move.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Tomatoes and peaches are both so dramatically different fresh and ripe vs transported I really wish they were never available as fresh produce out of season.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I apparently had an odd childhood growing up just eating rhubarb from the garden and following the crop season like it was nbd.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Devilish eggs

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Cultural extermination plays a good role too. Not even the availability of your cultures food. Kids will absolutely harass the kid that brings in a kawaii bento and their reaction will be to eat more "normal" pizza, mac and cheese, fries...

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Can you elaborate on the tortilla? I found https://ladyandpups.com/2021/05/13/paper-thin-soft-chewy-sonoran-style-flour-tortilla/ which I could do with my camping skillet, and sure as poo poo am going to try. Regarding a wok though, I only saw reference in the comments pointing out the similarity to some Indian flatbread, and that was using the wok upside down.

Trip report on these, they actually work. Best four tortillas I've been able to make. Separate them asap after cooking

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I learned in a middle class family that did not fear scarcity, just only having steaks once a week and such.

I still completely gently caress myself on dishes and when I was living paycheck to paycheck right out of college it was basically frozen pizzas or rice and beans. If I had to pick up an extra 20 hours the latter would never have happened. Too many overly dente beans.

Submarine Sandpaper fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Sep 18, 2022

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Walla posted:

Whatever, gently caress off. I'm out.

For the loving record, I grew up poor and make less than $30,000 a year in an area where the median income approaches $70,000. So don't come at me with this loving "looking down your nose bullshit".

Piss off.

You better gently caress off. You made more than 15 an hour in an area with the medium income at 12% above norm.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Dog food, cat food, litter, pizza, hot dog

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Oh no the sweedish are going to get out ikead.

It is one of the best sources for imports ime so you'll fold. You're gonna want some American cheeses and pizza rolls.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I'm no longer nosey about why beyond meat always tasted a little off

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I'm on team wheat but you can make bread in a rice cooker

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I don't see why it wouldn't work but also think you're not avoiding much cleanup. Makes it worse if you filter and keep your oil. I don't think that fried chicken looks particularly good fwiw

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I have to admit I've bean into you for a while ☺️

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Time to upgrade

https://youtu.be/dZTtVl7PZBY

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I've been watching a lot of boat building so be sure to sand and tar the plug too

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Wait until this guy learns what a shrimp is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Because they're bugs OP. Once people figure out grubs are delicious and can overcome eating a cricket taco, they'll be more widely available than in larger cities or some professional sports arenas.

Who hasn't had a chocolate covered ant? I thought that was a part of childhood.