Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

PurpleXVI posted:

Also I was virtuous Abysia in this one.

Generally people seem to agree that EA Abysia isn't too great, and it certainly isn't when I'm behind the wheel.

It may be time for another sneaking mission soon, Eric.

This bless... it's huge! ...and hot...

But yes I was a wartime advisor for Filthincarnate (aka Turtle) in this game. He is probably one of the best Dominions players in the community and has totally shivved me bad on more than one occasion. You should do an aside on your One Game Policy sometime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramc
May 4, 2008

How are u posted:

Awake expanders are overrated. I can't think of a single game in which I've taken one. Give me those extra build points for better scales, porfa.

Filthincarnate was scarred very early in their career by the Stallion of Ulm and will never be caught without an awake expander again.

The Sauro bless is okay, in a vacuum, but it does suggest you have some imprisoned dom 1 nerd which isn't a very good club to ward off certain kinds of attacks with.

Presumably the boar bless is so he has a million +5 prot Larger trample boards as Marv tho

Ramc
May 4, 2008

gonadic io posted:

The last time I played Marverni I went all in on boars but didn't take larger. My neighbour Caelum walked all over me because their stupid wings made them impossible to trample and my boars were left extremely confused.

standard goose buffetting tactics

Ramc
May 4, 2008

PurpleXVI posted:

Oh and the architect is good if you can hold on to him for enough turns to upgrade your poo poo.

Though, as an important question, if he starts on an upgrade that requires the Architect trait, can someone without the trait finish it?

All his troops are sappers, too, making them great for sieging down a place.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

PurpleXVI posted:

Meanwhile I'm busy learning why you don't take D3 Abysia to afford your bless, because if you do, you can get an event that halves your cap pop meaning your resources for recruiting your beefy-rear end sacred dudes that you took most of the bless for in the first place are totally hosed. :v:

the rare event version of Black Death

Ramc
May 4, 2008

PurpleXVI posted:

Actually what I'm finding to be the WORST thing about taking a Death bless is the damage it does to supply scores in your dominion. I had so much trouble with starving troops this time around, it suuuuuuucked.

simply play death 3 eriu and mass highland cattle from the JBBM to feed your troops and also destroy your enemies:

Ramc
May 4, 2008

How are u posted:

Blood Bond is a terrible Lanka bless, believe me I have been there and suffered the humiliating consequences.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

FilthIncarnate posted:

incredible....he might defeat one, or two people with this, before dying......

Ramc
May 4, 2008

*pan nerd voice* Mother Oak is Alteration 5, not Enchantment 5. which is why it is extra good for Pan because all the stuff you want is in Alt early anyway.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

A reeaaaal ominous mage stack

Ramc
May 4, 2008

FilthIncarnate posted:

what's ominous about a stack of earth mages, that i have been carefully amassing the entire game?

Ramc
May 4, 2008

I've had at least one game get derailed because I could not for the life of me get a vital gem type income going despite searching every drat province at A3 or A4 as MA Caelum. I was swinging 3 air gems a turn by the mid-late game and it killed me

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Blazing fast developments. Spoiler for the game I am talking about with filthincarnate where i am Naba there I get in a good position but do not win because thrones spawned way far away from me generally. Tragic.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

jsoh posted:

Losing? That's a bad strategy, son

that's real good advice

Ramc
May 4, 2008

The grand plan is revealed.... the sextuple claim caper...

Arcvasti posted:

I learned this in my first game, where I sent a golem with winged boots and like four artifacts to attack Sauromatia, where they promptly got killed to death by Star Fires.

That's perfect.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Thugs are cool, actually.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

If you can cast Eyes of God you don't need really need eyes to fight anyway.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

classic weak underdog nation Early Era Pan

Ramc
May 4, 2008

GrayDorian posted:

Reading all the diplomacy back and forth is really interesting - is it common for a nation to get dogpiled if the rest of the players think they're surging ahead?

It is common for a nation to get dogpiled if the rest of the players think they're surging ahead, yes.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Xenoborg posted:

If this were clowns I wold worry this is foreshadowing. What are the chances it takes the indies longer than your script to rout?

I believe in this case it would be the Ritual of Returning spell which pre-primes a one-shot 'return if injured' effect.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Technowolf posted:

I think having two thrones in water provinces actually worked out to Kailasa's favor immensely since they're one of the few land nations that can easily go underwater.

I think it is more like 4 thrones.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Love the fact that if anyone waltzes a single pinging scout UW to check on those aqua thrones they will immediately rout.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

FilthIncarnate posted:

i would have to kill ermor and then probably sauro. because ermor has an actual plan for the game instead of just making random decisions and getting into endless hellwars, they're by far my most dangerous enemy; with them dead i would be in a pretty commanding position.

Taking out the people who might actually have a plan is very important.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

here we gooooo

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Xerophyte posted:

Well, I guess the True Pro Move would be to check the thrones to see if commanders are mysteriously vanishing in a puff of violence and take advantage but who does that?

I do.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

I feel like I end up invading Purple a lot on average.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Speleothing posted:

2500 gold in the treasury and you didn't even put one point of PD into the thrones

Real power move.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

FilthIncarnate posted:

look, i'll be real: i've been playing continuously for five years and right now i'm floating slightly above a 50% career win rate.

so honestly at this point i'd welcome the challenge.

I do feel like since we started the podcast thing players have been less inclined to let me get away with my most egregious bullshit at least.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Speleothing posted:

A Dominions podcast?

The number one rated dominions podcast of all time, yes.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Omnicrom posted:

Out of a field of one, correct?

And I'm only partially joshing you, technically correct is still the best kind of correct!

I'm just 'talent'. I assume we are number one out of an intensely competitive field of dominions podcasting.

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

What's the podcast?

https://illwiki.com/dom5/ruby-discourse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Donkringel posted:

Great LP, glad I was along for the ride.

Also about FI win status.

The most important part of being a dominions veteran is having 5 people come at you with rusty knives on turn 8 in order to make sure you don't eat them first. It is the crown of coronation for all big leaguers.

I had a guy break a NAP to shiv me once when I was playing a Pan game.