Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: bagmonkey)

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop

free hubcaps posted:

what will the world be like when this thread reaches 1000 pages? i cant wait to quote my past self

Huh, now I wonder what my internet posting was like 10-20 years ago. Anyone know if have goons ever done any time capsule threads, to be revisited 10 years later or some such so they can see their younger selves?

Good luck on the 1000 pages too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

Top Cop
looking for that 1% milestone!

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

Top Cop

StrixNebulosa posted:

Today I am learning about this sad excuse for a gun:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pancor_Jackhammer

Only 3 were ever made, and two were destroyed in testing

Also seriously who needs an automatic shotgun

Pretty sure they are needed to for video games. Big market would be my guess.

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

Top Cop
I'll have to try the Expanse again. I watched the first couple episodes when they came out and thought the scifi was cool, but the characters and writing a bit cliched. "Smart clever captain" "Big buff dude who says "gently caress"", "Sexy smart chick". I guess I'm okay with the stereotypes, but I remember thinking some of the dialogue was on the level of "I could have written this". I'm not a writer.

I've now heard it mentioned here and from two other places in the last 3 days though, so obviously karma wants me to try watching it again.

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

Top Cop
I just read a funny joke that has probably been around for a while.

If someone throws something at Trump, does the secret service yell, "Donald duck!"?

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

Top Cop
I could have sworn I posted in this thread recently. I think I'm losing my mind!

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

Top Cop
Getting some snow here, hopefully enough to do some x-country later or tomorrow.

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

Top Cop

Meme Poker Party posted:

Here we go folks, some poo poo I made myself. These objects are my first pieces just going on my own and not following any kind of guided instruction.

That is cool as all get out, well done! And nice progress too, fun to see your trip reports.

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

Top Cop
That looks great. Its fun to see your projects develop. I like the texture on the anvil and the wood grain in the floor.

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

Top Cop
just postinf.

Good morning everyone!

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

Top Cop
I was going through some old pics this evening:

From Costa Rica a few years ago.

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

Top Cop
2% heck yeah!

Let's crank this puppy up! Get some posting in here!

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

Top Cop
Here is an iguana:

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

Top Cop
Pretty sure this thing is an anteater, chupacabra, or aardvark(!!!) even:

Meme Poker Party posted:

That iguana bringing a strong tactical camouflage game.

Those rascals are everywhere in Costa Rica, you don't even notice them half the time until you are about to step on one.

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

Top Cop
This picture is crap quality, but there are several Howler Monkeys in it.
If you have even wondered what Howler monkeys sound like in the middle of the night, it sounds like several dogs murdering each other all at the same time.

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

Top Cop
Just going through old vacation photos. One week trip a few years back. Went with family, did airbnb house on the beach for hardly any money.

Beautiful country, wonderful people. Would do again; maybe after covid stuff, not right now.

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

Top Cop
It is the the thread that will be the salvation of all humanity.

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

Top Cop
Good morning thread!

Meme, both your anvils are great. The first would totally pass in a game like Skyrim or something. When I scrolled down to the second one, I knew it was CG, but for half a second my brain thought, "wait, is that a picture of a real anvil?" That kicks rear end.

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

Top Cop
Just posting.
Good morning thread!

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

Top Cop
I liked the one where to goon placed a grocery order, picked it up, and gets home before realizing the store had substituted two ducks for the two chickens that had been ordered. The chickens were $5-6 each, the ducks were something like $25 each.

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

Top Cop
Pretty sure he checked his receipt and confirmed he was charged full price. I think it was a post early in the corona thread, and people kept posting requests for updates on the ducks. Did you return them, call the store, eat them? I don't think there was ever a followup post. :(

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

Top Cop

Meme Poker Party posted:

DST how does a window fall on your head???

Things fall apart, the center cannot hold.

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

Top Cop
31 pages! We are doing it!

I just had a frozen tamale for lunch. I mean, I nuked it first and put some hot sauce on it. I did not eat it frozen. I am not a total weirdo. It was a pork tamale. I liked it.

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

Top Cop

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

I like the ones from Costco. Pretty decent in terms of refrigerated/frozen tamales

Yeah, I got some from the local grocery. Surprisingly good. Crumbly corn meal exterior or whatever it is, with shredded pork inside. I've eaten a lot of legit Mexican food over the years, and for a frozen product, I was all "hey this is pretty dang good". Just saw them walking through frozen foods the other week, and I was "drat, its been a while since I've had a tamale". Not disappointed at all.

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

Top Cop
Winter temperatures anyone? I had 7F, -13C this morning.
Thankfully I remembered to load up the wood burning stove last night, and pull in a whole other load of firewood before going to sleep. Got the house all nice and warm again quickly this AM.
Its suppose to be colder tonight.

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

Top Cop

WorldsStongestNerd posted:

I spent the last few years talking care of my parents. They both died recently, and I decided to just stay in thier house since it's mine now, while I go thru a lifetime of thier things and do repairs on the house in case I want to sell. I'm alone here. Haven't even seen most of my friends in months.

I eat frozen meals because cooking is too much effort.

Sometimes after a long back breaking day at work, I'll come home to the empty house where I once had a family, and just eat a pizza or burrito or toaster strudel straight from the freezer because I see no point in waiting for it to cook. My main accomplishments most days is turning oxygen into carbon dioxide and food into poo poo, and I can do that just fine regardless of whether it's cooked. I will say the toaster strudel is very good cold. I'll eat a whole box plain and then suck the icing pouches directly into my mouth.

That is tough, losing family and being isolated. Take care, enjoy some sunshine when you can, and for god's sake use a microwave for even 10 seconds.

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

Top Cop
Bears are a favorite. Don't see them too often, but when I do I get all excited cause they are pretty and neat, and then realize it could probably kill me if it wanted to. Fun stuff.

Seen a couple beautiful coyotes recently, just healthy coats, looking solid.

Also saw two albino turkeys in a flock this last fall. Thought they were geese for a moment.

E: sea turtles too, just doing free diving with my brother. Just followed it as it coasted along. Looks back at us after a bit and pretty much lol'ed at us and shot off like a rocket.
Actually, anything underwater is pretty fascinating.

Internetjack fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Feb 11, 2021

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

Top Cop

Ratjaculation posted:

Sorry I saw the posts above and thought it wasn't the time so edited my message out

Now you look crazy ahahahahahahaha

You got me good :)

Secret though I always look crazy!

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

Top Cop

MakaVillian posted:

-30C (about - 40C with windchill) the last few days. Warming up starting on the weekend thank god

Nice. Winter is an amazing mistress.

Just hit 6F at 7pm, so its will be chilly here by the morning.

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

Top Cop

Jakabite posted:

Bears are my favourite tho I’ve never seen one in the wild. I also love dogs and have two.

Raccoons seem like fun

They are all the same, bears and raccoons, bunch of foragers and scavengers. I'll have to share some bear stories again, cause gotta post : )

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

Top Cop
Checked the digital thermometer this morning. Yup, 4.8F. Oh wait, there is a minus sign... -4.8F It has since gotten colder.

Bear/survival story from years ago...

My brother and I were backpacking in Devil's Postpile, eastern Sierra Nevada mountains. 4 days, 3 nights. We were up at timberline at the end of the second day, and the trees are all short and stunted and we were having a tough time finding a tall tree to hang our food in for the night. This was before bear cannisters. We do our best but really our two bags are barely 15' off the ground and only a couple feet from the trunk of the trees on scrawny limbs. Not a great way to hang your food up.

Dawn of the next morning my brother wakes me up, there is a bear outside our tent and sure enough, it got up the first tree, got the bag down and is just tearing into our food. Inhaling it. Cute black bear maybe 3 years old, but total jerk.

We make noise, bang pots, yell, etc. Bear is not giving a poo poo. My brother even starts to throw sticks at it. It does not give a gently caress and I remember watching it suck down a package of tortillas, plastic and all, in one breath. It pretty much had the attitude of "leave the gently caress alone you assholes, I'm trying to have some breakfast here". Finally I light a stick on fire and start waving it around. Bear freaks out and takes off. Yay!

We assess the damage and realize we have about 600 calories of food left. And two days of hiking to get back out, a good 15+ miles. We weren't going to die, but it was going to suck.

We got lucky though. Had our fishing gear and hit a creek that afternoon and got a couple little fish for lunch. We do about 8 miles that day, splitting a granola bar and such.
We camp at a high mountain lake that night. It was really beautiful. We make camp at sunset, skies are purple and orange, top of the mountains, just gorgeous. We hit the lake to fish ASAP, and in about 5 minutes I get a hit, a big one. Rainbow trout, 15". It broke surface, put up a good fight, but I had it. Just as the sun is finally setting. It was a great moment. We could not believe our luck. We fried up the fish, had a bit of onion and bouillon the bear did not eat and made some basic broth. One of the best meals in my life.

We got out fine the next day, though a bit hungry. Met the shuttle on time and got back to our car. Pizza and beer followed at the first opportunity.

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

Top Cop
Criminy DST, that sucks.
My 6 year old niece was afflicted with a type of brain stem cancer and passed.

My sincere sympathies to your friend's family and you.

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

Top Cop

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

Sorry, didn’t mean to bring the thread down. It’s just so...senseless. I watched my girlfriend go through chemotherapy and I just can’t even imagine how horrific that is for a baby.

No worries. Sharing, even with goon friends on the internet, helps a lot.

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

Top Cop
Mega Shark vs Giant Octopus is a good one. Well, its not "good", but it seems to have been intentionally bad, so it is good? Its a tough watch though. It's exceptionally bad
But hey, Debbie Gibson and Lorenzo Lamas!

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

Top Cop
I watched Alien again last night. Movie holds up so well. Everyone considers Sigourney Weaver when thinking of the film, but Tom Skerritt and the rest of the cast are solid too.

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

Top Cop

gary oldmans diary posted:

i like question ii. youd have imagine a line perpendicular to AB that intersects C. say this point intersects AB at P. this would form 2 smaller triangles within ACB. because PC is perpendicular to AB both of the triangles would be right triangles and both would also have either angle ABC or angle BAC so both the smaller triangles would be similar to triangle ACB and have hypotenuses a and b and thus side length ratios to triangle ACB of a/5 and b/5. line PC the shortest distance from C to AB would have a length of (3*4)/5 cm
2.4cm

Agreed that question ii was the best one. The 3-4-5 triangle was pretty straight forward, angle is easy with sohcahtoa. I had to stop and think about ii though, then I realized all the pieces were there.

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

Top Cop

Aardvark! posted:

happy SHITPOST SUNDAY gbs i have to go get drunk and play dungeons and dragons now

I want to drink and play some D&D. : (

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

Top Cop

Jakabite posted:

How'd you get that star next ur name

Erm, I think it was from the spine-fund thread a while back. Yeah.

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

Top Cop
Great day today. The grocery I visit once a week has a deli, and sells pizza slices, so most times I pick one up cause I'm usually there at noon. Today the person helping me said the pizza had been sliced wrong and she would give me two slices for the price of a single. But it was like 50% more pizza for the same price. Goddamn life is glorious sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

Top Cop
I'm okay at burgs on the grill.
I am really good at bacon wrapped dogs though:

There is a lot going on in that pic, besides the fact I took a bite first.

3 main points to consider:

Pre-cook the bacon; not all the way, just to get it to sweat, then let it cool and wrap it around your dog, use soaked toothpicks to hold while you grill.

The buns have been treated with a healthy spread of lard before toasting them on the grill. Apparently lard has a higher burn-temperature than butter or oils so you are less like to burn them and still get them nice and toasty. They are delicious too.

The chutney is the real climax though. Red onion, a few different peppers, some molasses, vinegar, and cumin. Just make a whole skillet of it and toss it in a bowl so folks can spoon it on.