Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: bagmonkey)

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aCMTpJx2cs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Penny

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
This is Penny's brother, Rollo.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
He's a Devon Rex. They aren't usually so curly, but he's a special boy. He's also tiny because he was the runt of the litter.

Penny is also a devon rex but she doesn't have the fur mutation, just the big ears and little triangle face.

Bonus baby Rollo

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

That's pracksessssss

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
bout to vape some premium weed and go to my office xmas party

I am the joint boss in every sense

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Realised I haven't been keeping up with my personal development as a weird uncle who never sees his nephews outside xmas. Decided my new thing is to say Panettone with the same rhythm and stress as Penelope. Yep gonna get some mileage out of that one this year.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

IDK I’m just not with the whole “mentally unstable contract chomos get a free trained police dog” poo poo. I’m sure dogs make people happy in general and poo poo tho.

I'd rather that than they go to the police to be killed in a hot car or shot or given dog PTSD?

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Just realised, completely by chance, that Monday marks exactly 20 years regd here.

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe... Backpanther on fire off the shoulder of ABunchOfNumbers... I watched p-p-p-p-powerbooks glitter in the dark near the Pele's Gape. All those moments will be lost in time, like poop in socks...

What I'm saying is where's my loving pension, I'm a veteran of the Habbo Insurgency for god's sake.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

ilovebeersooomuch posted:

Best we can do is offer support for your PTSD
Have you heard about this neat new thing called glitterdick?

Support me in my struggle with PTSD, or, support my PTSD in it's struggle against me?

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Adulthood is realising that you really, genuinely, would like to just sit home with your cats instead of going out.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

rear end-Haggis posted:

i feel like it's important to really get into the mindset of being some sort of cat pope. like an elder god but for whatever cats are, some sort of rapport where both parties acknowledge that taking hella naps and snug maxing is pretty sick actually and it's totally fine to lie down on the couch and vaguely dissociate

I just smoke a spliff in the garden and then retire to my recliner and give my cats full body deep tissue massages and now they have associated the smell of weed with Hard Rubs Time and they immediately flop down on me the second I sit down.

Currently posting at 1000km/hr and 40kft over the Atlantic. BA WiFi is waaaay better than it was last time I flew.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

TIP posted:

this is both the unofficial ADHD thread and the unofficial autism thread

for those of you with neither diagnosis, I'm gonna need you to sit down for some news

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
I always thought the five guys fries model was pretty smart. Take your highest margin side and give people so much that they'll drop 15 bucks on an extra patty and thickshake because it's "such good value". They also raised the burger game in the UK and Europe by a whole magnitude and I appreciate that as a fat sandwich fiend Gourmand. My favourite is still any one of the Meat Liquor restaurants in London though. It's almost worth being in London for.

I need some goon help/advice.

I made a holiday friend (with my wife's blessing). It rained this morning and he came over to my balcony to hang out and I gave him a drink and some breakfast. Turns out he had been in a fight last night and had a couple of fresh scratches on his face so I gave his cuts a little gentle clean and treatment.

We're currently at a stage where I am allowed to touch his butt. I've tentatively put my hands under him and I think mutual cuddles might be on the cards.

Here's the problem though, he won't tell me his name.

Best I can figure is maybe Sprocket (because he squeaks like a rusty bike chain). Or Loaf, because he makes a perfect Loaf at our door an politely squeaks when he wants something).

ReelBigLizard fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Mar 6, 2023

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

everyone posted:

CAT BALLS

This was a joy to turn my phone on for and I can't believe I have two megathread titles live at the same time after never having even one. I started posting here again when the stupid bird app turned out to be more like a milkshake duck app, and I'm so glad I did.

fartknocker posted:

I started having a panic attack on the way to work for reasons I can’t loving explain (Triggers be crazy, y’all) and the first hour of bullshit once I got to my desk hasn’t helped…

…but that story and picture of catte did :3:

Amazing. Have bonus loaf. He let us pick him up this morning but he's not a people cat really.

He seems to have an ok life here eating lizards like chicken tenders, but he's also clearly too wild and old to be properly brought in now. I just wish they had a neuter-release program here.

Spinz posted:

...found out that what's up with me is almost surely ADHD

I want to strangle every shrink n doc I ever saw...

:same: (obviously) and what I'm most annoyed by is no-one told me it's a loving super power if you can learn how to use it.

bagmonkey posted:

The ADHD thread over in E/N is the #1 ADHD support group on the internet Spinz, come join us!!!!

Gonna check that out too thanks.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Spinz posted:

I will read up about the ADHD when I have time rofl

If you keep meaning to do it hard enough it's basically the same thing amirite

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
My similarly ADHD best friend and partner in mischief is house sitting for us and today he's apparently going hyperfocus buck wild on the 3D printer. He's built some mechanical eyes to build into a mask that is going to look people in the eyes in the psy trance tent of our local music festival he volunteers at this summer.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Loaf Status: Girlfriend acquired
Balls Status: Drained but still swangin'

She seems good for him - a little tortie girl. She knew all the moves. Slipped into the front garden and when she knew he was watching just pissed on the hibiscus bush right there and then. I won't say any more but they didn't waste any time so we'll probably hear about it in the morning.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Unrelated: Watching US cable TV as an outsider is like having a window into your own Paul Verhoeven movie.

Prof. Crocodile posted:

This is more or less how gf. crocodile and I got together.

Solid strategy in this modern minefield of online dating.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
More Bequia cats? In OUR 5kpt? It's more likely than you think.

This is Beans

She was already friendly but then I "accidentally dropped" a slightly chewy bit of my lobster, soaked in butter. She went from tentative scritches through every stage of cat-human acceptance, from strokes to chin rubs, back massage, butt rubs, lap sitting, rolling over, full belly rubs, bean massage and finally gentle nibbles and playful bunny kicks. All in roughly 15 minutes.

I saw Loaf one last time this morning (we're off on the first of many flights home this afternoon). He had his morning saucer of water with a little milk and then saw another young thing off across the gardens and off he went, balls swinging free in the balmy morning air.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

StrixNebulosa posted:

yessss

this has led me to another previously unknown genre to me now: family sagas. I'm intimidated by the idea of reading a brick of a book about a family but also oh my god that sounds delightful gimme gimme

Look up The Book of Ebenezer Le Page by G B Edwards. It's a quite famous life-story/provincial saga about a man living his entire life on a small island (where I also happen to be from), through the second world war, German occupation and beyond.

It's written in the local vernacular/accent of the time and the audiobook is read by the late great Roy Dotrice in the correct accent because he was also born on the island.

If it doesn't make you weep I'll eat my hat.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

DorkusMalorkus posted:

Check out this wheel cover I saw today

I saw it earlier in the daylight but couldn't stop then so I made a special trip back just to photograph it

I would smoke weed in that Kia Sportage.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
My sister in law helps put together a local Cheese Quiz every year that has kind of become a big thing. It's like a regular pub/bar quiz/trivia (however you say it where you are), but it's themed around cheese, includes an actual cheese tasting round and a ticket raffle where you can win cheese and meats from local businesses. The music round is all cheesy music, you get the idea.

Anyway it started as dumb fun but it's actually become quite competitive in the last couple of years and tonight we won.

Our team name was Bribe-a-brie & Racletteering

(My wife and I run a financial compliance and training consultancy.)

Edit for additional context:
we also smoked a weed before we went

ReelBigLizard fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Mar 16, 2023

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
I deny everything.

Also everyone who runs the quiz always have at least a few family members in the room because the proceeds go to charity.

Ruby Gloom posted:

top tier cheese team name:

poutine on the ritz

drat. Hello next year's name. Thanks.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

bagmonkey posted:

What are you all up to this weekend fam

what's the plan

Packing my bags and getting on a 9 hour overnight ferry to the south of England with my bicycle so I can ride to the Weald & Downland museum for a 5 day course on historical green oak timber framing.

So nmu?

ReelBigLizard fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Mar 18, 2023

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

You chose wisely.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Computer viking posted:

The Goods and Services Tax?

Indeed. We are being told by certain political entities locally that there is no money and we must introduce a GST, but the prices here are already high because we import everything from the UK who import everything from somewhere else. It will really gently caress over the low earners while the wealthy won't even notice.

Any attempt to discuss say, an empty properties tax or inheritance tax or corporation tax* hits a brick wall historically but recently there have been mass rallies in favour of proper tax reform.

*(or any taxes that meaningfully affect the local rich pricks)

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Pretty sure that dog has a quest for you dorkus, just get closer and you should see a contextual prompt.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Luxuriating in CLUB CLASS

Which is like a little conservatory on the side of our freight boat.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Welp the onboard WiFi looks like it's broken again so you may have to wait for more INCREDIBLY EXCITING ADVENTURES OF BICYCLE BOAT MAN.

Good thing I brought weed

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Made it to West Dean from the ferry in 1hr 58min, which is pretty good going for 37km on mostly rural greenlanes. My lower back and kidneys would like a word with West Sussex highway maintenance though.

Computer viking posted:

Also, where do you live again where you import from the UK? Channel Islands? Man? Orkneys?

Guernsey, Channel Islands. Successive governments have taken a friendly, safe, laid back place to be an alcoholic and turned it into a sort of small minded little England where the wealthy can sit around in huge underused houses ordering poo poo off Amazon waiting to die so they can skip UK inheritance tax.

Goods and services, with the additional costs of import, are typically the same price or more than the UK, despite there being no sales tax. A GST will absolutely crush low income housing and chase more young people away.

Eventually it will just be a giant retirement home like Alderney unless we fight them tooth and nail.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Made a friend on my journey. Don't know his name but he left his autograph in muddy paw prints on my jeans lol. I'm going to call him Prince(Prints).

My "hotel" for the week is pretty sweet (it's an art college).

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
I never saw an English muffin until I went to the USA as a kid. I don't think they existed in the UK before the 2000s.

E: Wikipedia says they are English after all but I guess it's one of those things that we forgot about while everyone took them to the new world.

E2: I thought Top Gun 2: Top Harder was fine. Not a successful late sequel like Fury Road but it's not a crystal skull either.

ReelBigLizard fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Mar 19, 2023

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
You like beer?

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
For me it looks more like an Amiga 500 game from the """ public domain* """ basket of the computer exchange in Southampton c. 1993.

The Sampson's Family Adventure

*Bootleg

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Good because I meant it as a compliment.

I would like to sign up for steam early access.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Put on the unabridged audio book of The White Whale or Les Miserables and try to pay attention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Very much adds to the charm.