Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ANYTHING YOU SOW
Nov 7, 2009
Some more on the decision to have a longer wait between first and second dose of the vaccine:

Derek Lowe posted:

https://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/archives/2020/12/30/vaccine-roundup-late-december

Oxford/AstraZeneca: As the world knows, this adenovirus vector vaccine has been a messy one. I think that both partners need to take responsibility for some real mistakes in the trial execution and further mistakes in their announcements since the data became available. But I haven’t seen any sign of that (although I would be even happier than usual to be corrected on that point).

Last night, the UK authorities approved this vaccine for distribution there. Of special interest is the intent to give as many people as possible a first shot, without holding back supplies for the second round. I think that this is simultaneously the correct decision for them to make and also very bad news. It appears that the coronavirus variant first reported there is indeed more contagious: Trevor Bedford is convinced, and we have early data that would seem to only make sense if the R for this form is indeed higher. One mechanism for that may be higher viral load developing in patients more quickly, making them presumably more infectious (via shedding more viral particles). That said, it also appears (so far) that the course of disease with this variant is not actually worse than the other strains, but it’s not any better, either. And with higher transmission, that’s bad enough. (Note that the WHO believes that the South Africa variant is spreading quickly as well).

That situation in the UK appears to be one of the biggest factors driving the approval and rollout, and I see their point: this vaccine is indeed better than nothing, one shot for more people is likely to be better than two-shots-for-some, and it looks like they’re going to need all the help they can get. But “better than nothing” is a rough place to be. So what do we know about the efficacy of a single shot of the Oxford/AZ vaccine, and about the effect of waiting for a second one?

All I can say is that attempts to answer those questions land you immediately in a confusing mess. It’s a mess made worse by AstraZeneca, whose CEO has made statements about the vaccine’s efficacy that are not (so far) backed up by actual numbers. If you’d like me to name a major drug company that’s going to come out of this pandemic looking worse, it’s them. Anyway, as you’ll recall, initially there was a hint that a lower first dose followed by a standard second dose might be more protective overall (although I don’t think the evidence for that is very strong at all, considering the statistical spread in the data). But now there’s a report that increased efficacy might be driven by an even longer wait between the two doses. I don’t find that evidence very compelling, either (we’re getting into some pretty small subgroups by this point, and that is always a dangerous area to draw conclusions from). And if you’re going to leave people walking around with a half dose at first, or a full dose but with a longer wait for the second one, it makes the question above even more crucial: how protective is one dose?

We do not know. We don’t know for this vaccine, nor for the Pfizer/BioNTech one, nor for Moderna’s. No studies have been designed to find that out, so all we can do is guess based on what we’ve seen with the interval between doses in the two-dose studies. That’s been encouraging with the two mRNA vaccines, but remember: we don’t know how they are over a longer period, because no one was left without a second dose for that long. It’s certainly possible that without the second booster that the protection seen after one shot starts to wane. We do not know. And we know even less about the Oxford/AZ vaccine’s behavior under these conditions. Giving as many people in the UK as possible a single dose of that vaccine with a longer wait until the booster is a gamble, and you wouldn’t want to do it that way if the alternatives weren’t even worse. It’s the right move, unfortunately, and it’s a damned shame it’s come to this.

The US trial of this vaccine was paused for weeks, of course, while adverse events were investigated. It’s basically fully enrolled now, and the data will include many more elderly patients than have been investigated to date. I would assume that our current terrible infection rates will allow this trial to move along rather quickly, but I have no estimate of when we might see it report.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
I can’t believe they’re loving up the vaccination rollout.

But who came up with this dumb loving idea?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-55410349

Oh.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

I am struggling to understand the urge to keep schools open no matter what the cost - I understand looking after children at home is difficult, moreso if you are a key worker, though there's been provisions in place for that and keeping the schools open to the extent they have been seems a bit dumb. When I'm watching the news I can't help but feel the journalists and MPs talking about keeping the schools open is more that they can't put up with having their children around the house and would rather force everyone into school than anything else. Surely shutting down everything for a month would be better than these half-hearted lockdowns and degrees of tier systems that people don't understand.

Anyway, been a funny old year hey! I've had a decent one really, but if it wasn't for online communities like this I'd have definitely had a much harder time. I know some posters have had an awful year and I think of everyone else that have suffered this year - though I am grateful to each of you for chipping in and giving us something to think about or laugh at and that. However you're spending this evening, have a good one. Ta

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

LMBO Gibraltar gets the same status as NI and joins Schengen as a bonus (it never did before). Among other things means that it uses common visas. I wonder if this could be a backdoor way to UK citizenship for really determined non-EU folks?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-55497084

Something something glorious sovereign free-trading nation.

e: Or even EU migrants now, really, though I guess there's always Ireland for that which might be a better bet (but is not in the Schengen because the UK threw a fit over migrants via NI).

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Dec 31, 2020

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Yes, parents really are just seething that they should actually have to look after their children during the day.

Twitter research leads me to believe Centrists are seething the most.

Followed by Poshos, but not so much, they do have Nanny after all.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

sinky posted:

Have u considered that leaving the EU will solve problems not caused by being in the EU??

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1344650282198831105?s=20

Thar's gold in them there bodybags and bailiffs!

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

ANYTHING YOU SOW posted:

Some more on the decision to have a longer wait between first and second dose of the vaccine:

I can't actually listen to these dickheads anymore. I mean the scientists and experts. They are at best weak willed and unable to convince the people that matter and at worse actively stupid. Every crisis point, such as this, has just as many 'experts' argueing the exact opposite. Which means half of them are lying or wrong. There's been no consensus on anything. It's all hosed.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

I honestly find it odd. The last few months have been the most time I ever spent with my kids and it’s amazing and lovely and I am very sad that as soon as the lockdowns are removed I shall have to leave them and their mum and our nice life here to return by myself to Britain ad maiorem [my company] gloriam.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
I think in the case of this one shot thing there actually is a fair degree of consensus, even from the linked article. It is a terrible call to have to make but is at the moment the best decision with the information available. It’s a risk but public health is about balancing risk and when you’re heading to pain town and arriving in five minutes, you’re better off deploying everything ASAP than waiting.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

surprised the Guardian published this:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/dec/31/joe-biden-us-pretence-israel-nuclear-weapons

quote:

"Apartheid was horrible in South Africa and it’s horrible when Israel practises its own form of apartheid against the Palestinians, with checkpoints and a system of oppressive policies. Indeed another US statute, the Leahy law, prohibits US military aid to governments that systematically violate human rights.

It’s quite possible that one of the reasons that Israel’s version of apartheid has outlived South Africa’s is that Israel has managed to maintain its oppressive system using not just the guns of soldiers, but also by keeping this nuclear gun pointed at the heads of millions. The solution for this is not for Palestinians and other Arabs to try to attain such weapons. The solution is peace, justice and disarmament.

South Africa learned that it could only have real peace and justice by having truth that would lead to reconciliation. But none of those will come unless truth is faced squarely – and there are few truths more critical to face than a nuclear weapons arsenal in the hands of an apartheid government.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Jakabite posted:

I think in the case of this one shot thing there actually is a fair degree of consensus, even from the linked article. It is a terrible call to have to make but is at the moment the best decision with the information available. It’s a risk but public health is about balancing risk and when you’re heading to pain town and arriving in five minutes, you’re better off deploying everything ASAP than waiting.

Do you honestly think they'll be giving people a second shot in 12 weeks? Or in in 12 weeks time will the same people (Blair) be arguing that those shots should go to unvaccinated people? What does your heart tell you?

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

wonder how long before whoever wrote it is linked to Corbyn

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Julio Cruz posted:

wonder how long before whoever wrote it is linked to Corbyn

It's Desmond Tutu.

ANYTHING YOU SOW
Nov 7, 2009

Regarde Aduck posted:

I can't actually listen to these dickheads anymore. I mean the scientists and experts. They are at best weak willed and unable to convince the people that matter and at worse actively stupid. Every crisis point, such as this, has just as many 'experts' argueing the exact opposite. Which means half of them are lying or wrong. There's been no consensus on anything. It's all hosed.

I don't think you can blame the scientists for the existence of uncertainty. Uncertainty is fact of life, especially with a virus that has only existed for a year.

I think there is often a problem with how this is communicated to the public by the media and by politicians ( or drug company CEOs as he says in that article).

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Tarnop posted:

Do you honestly think they'll be giving people a second shot in 12 weeks? Or in in 12 weeks time will the same people (Blair) be arguing that those shots should go to unvaccinated people? What does your heart tell you?

I don’t know anymore. I just don’t.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
https://twitter.com/jujuliagrace/status/1344642392733978624?s=21

Patients from Kent are being sent to Plymouth and Bristol. Normal island.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Desmond Tutu is an absolute diamond

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

There's only two groups of people seriously wanting schools to reopen - big businesses which want their staff at their beck and call rather than limited due to childcare needs and the petit bourgeois liberal who either derives their self worth from their job and so needs to offload the kids to someone else to feel good about themselves or who views education as critical to their childs success later in life and so is freaking out about the perceived disruption it's undergoing now, believing that missing these few months is what will doom their child to thankless labouring rather than their lack of starting wealth, connections and capitalism in general.

It's a powerful combo as it's both the key business demographic that the Tories listen to AND also popular amongst the sort of people who read newspapers AND there's a fig leaf about caring about children to cover for everyone.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

https://twitter.com/SpillerOfTea/status/1344629788191973376

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
Eh, he campaigned for remain so it's not quite as lol as nigel totally-doesn't-have-german-passport farage.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Necrothatcher posted:

It's Desmond Tutu.

Jollity Farm
Apr 23, 2010

Necrothatcher posted:

It's Desmond Tutu.

I have seen people on Tumblr before talking about how Desmond Tutu is incredibly antisemitic, although I didn't look into it any further than that, because I've decided that I don't want or need to know.

I don't use Tumblr any more, I have to think of my fragile mental health.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Open-and-shut case imo.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Actually now that I think about it Gibraltar joining Schengen might create a pretty big headache refugee-wise, since Schengen tourist visas are significantly easier to get than the UK ones.

Won't be much use for illegal migrants like NI would be, but it could be an interesting option for refugees?

Weasling Weasel
Oct 20, 2010
gently caress me, sounds like it's not just London Hospitals turning people away now. It is possible to try anyone on twitter with that loving smily faced in their handle for murder yet.

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005
Johnson and Hancock should be afraid to ever set foot in public again. Hope they get their food spat in. Hope someone takes a baseball bat to them. Cunts.

Nutapii
Jun 24, 2020

Weasling Weasel posted:

gently caress me, sounds like it's not just London Hospitals turning people away now. It is possible to try anyone on twitter with that loving smily faced in their handle for murder yet.

What smiley face?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Gambrinus posted:

Johnson and Hancock should be afraid to ever set foot in public again. Hope they get their food spat in. Hope someone takes a baseball bat to them. Cunts.

Just those two?

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Private Speech posted:

Actually now that I think about it Gibraltar joining Schengen might create a pretty big headache refugee-wise, since Schengen tourist visas are significantly easier to get than the UK ones.

Won't be much use for illegal migrants like NI would be, but it could be an interesting option for refugees?

I wager they solved the refugee problem by making the UK completely unappealing to anyone with half a brain and a chance at living in any EU country.

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005

stev posted:

Just those two?

I'd settle for it.

Weasling Weasel
Oct 20, 2010

Nutapii posted:

What smiley face?

Pretty much all the 'covid is a hoax' posters have adopted the :) as sort of anti-mask symbol, so if any covid news on twitter there's always one or two of these stupid drat faces poking out from commentators talking about how the NHS is always out of beds, and people always die in December, and the test is 90% false positives, and that it only kills 0.002% which is the same as flue, and all sort of poo poo copied from Yardley Yeadon and other 'statistician', and because of the algorithm prison of social media, if you follow one dumb-rear end tweet, then all you see is streams of that stupid smily face everyone with rediculous takes.

I never thought I'd start to hate an emoji so much.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

hhahahhahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
Absolutely perfect.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Regarde Aduck posted:

Not being able to convince a death cult not to do death is pretty hard.

The easiest way to navigate these issues is look at what Tony Blair wants then do the opposite. He supported single doses a month ago, when it was possible to avoid that outcome. Now it has to be single doses, because otherwise the NHS will be completely overwhelmed.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Mother Teresa was a bit poo poo too, turns out Religion isn't particularly nice.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Dead Goon posted:

Mother Teresa was a bit poo poo too, turns out Religion isn't particularly nice.

That's a mighty big brush you have there.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Lizard wizard. Queens actually a Slann.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

CyberPingu posted:

That's a mighty big brush you have there.

Organized religion has this whole problem with being unaccountable.

You might have heard about some of the problems it has led to in... uh, every faith that has ever inherited an organization?

Faith's like wealth, kids shouldn't inherit their parents'.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

feedmegin posted:

Lizard wizard. Queens actually a Slann.

I got the Slann confused with the Slaad for a second, and it explained so much.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

endlessmonotony posted:

Organized religion has this whole problem with being unaccountable.

You might have heard about some of the problems it has led to in... uh, every faith that has ever inherited an organization?

Faith's like wealth, kids shouldn't inherit their parents'.

Hot take: earnest wholehearted belief in a supernatural religion in 2020 is p. bonkers and lowers my opinion of the critical thinking abilities of anyone who announces their beliefs to me.

Like if you were brought up in a church and like the community bits then I guess cool, whatever, but actual God stuff? For real? Why?

Counts double for people who come to it later in life and haven't had it forced on them from youth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

sebzilla posted:

Hot take: earnest wholehearted belief in a supernatural religion in 2020 is p. bonkers and lowers my opinion of the critical thinking abilities of anyone who announces their beliefs to me.

Like if you were brought up in a church and like the community bits then I guess cool, whatever, but actual God stuff? For real? Why?

Counts double for people who come to it later in life and haven't had it forced on them from youth.

Some people need to have something to believe in to distract them from how lovely life is and need to believe that their suffering is part of a greater plan and not just all it is.

Im not religious but I get it.

I don't condone the agressive religious types that force it down people's throat but I also don't get why people can't just let religious people be.