Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Continuity NIP posted:

Admit you just googled Greggs nonce

I did

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Vitamin P posted:

Holy poo poo thank you so much for posting that, he did the funniest possible response. Wine-drunk Murray angry posting the reply, being genuinely incoherent and strongly implying he wants to send his largest nephew to you for a ruck god drat.

I don't want to take anything away from how funny that email is, or how much of a colossal, obnoxious, utterly useless prick Ian Murray is, but just for the sake of accuracy the (weirdly phrased) line about the address is because he's (drunkenly and aggressively) suggesting that marktheando isn't a constituent and therefore is a Momentum thug/Russian bot who can and should be ignored. If Murray wasn't too tired and emotional to remember writing the email, I wouldn't be surprised if he mentions in some interview about the "abuse" he has been getting from the intolerant left.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Wizard?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Queen Gizzard and The Lizard Wizard?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Failed Imagineer posted:

Queen Gizzard and The Lizard Wizard?

How'd you find my harry potter fanfic

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

How'd you find my harry potter fanfic

Searched for "Corbyn" on any given erotic fanfiction repository?

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
:tif:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/us-brexit-trade-deal-antibiotics-meat-drug-b1780438.html

US-reared animals whose meat is set to be imported under post-Brexit trade deals are fed 10 antibiotics banned in the UK, potentially undermining treatments for infections, cancer and even coronavirus, a report has warned.

Bringing the meat into the UK would be a seriously backward step in the fight against antibiotic resistance, and consuming the meat itself could create a cancer risk, according to the Sustainable Food Trust (SFT.)

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

sebzilla posted:

Blair, Brown, Cameron, May makes four?

I thought they were including BoJo too.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

OwlFancier posted:

Do I even want to know why he's checked into a hotel with a cardboard cutout of thatcher?

He's going to gently caress it

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
another day volunteering at the conservative party conference. everyone keeps asking me if they can gently caress the Thatcher cutout. buddy, they wont even let me gently caress it

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Jippa posted:

:tif:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/us-brexit-trade-deal-antibiotics-meat-drug-b1780438.html

US-reared animals whose meat is set to be imported under post-Brexit trade deals are fed 10 antibiotics banned in the UK, potentially undermining treatments for infections, cancer and even coronavirus, a report has warned.

Bringing the meat into the UK would be a seriously backward step in the fight against antibiotic resistance, and consuming the meat itself could create a cancer risk, according to the Sustainable Food Trust (SFT.)

Meat eating is morally wrong anyway, everyone should go vegan.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

keep punching joe posted:

that's fine too you can have some of the US's famous poo poo-lettuce, i think we've had at least 2 or 3 e.coli outbreaks this year

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's weird how I get a kind of very specific coronavirus statistic at work, by way of how quickly we sell out of "sorry for your loss" cards.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Comrade Fakename posted:

I haven’t heard much more than what’s been mentioned in this thread, but I have heard them from people who have direct first and second-hand knowledge of events and definitely aren’t right-wing plants.

I just object to the idea that just because Lewis is a leftie this is “very, very obviously a manufactured smear”. It’s gross. “Believe women, until it effects someone I like, then they’re lying neoliberal stooges”. Comrade Delta’s leftie credentials were pretty rock-solid too, but guess what, that dude was a loving rapist.

I largely agree with you here but this absolutely is an issue the left needs an answer to. Currently any bad faith actor can call any leftist an abuser/racist/homophobe/transphobe with no evidence and that will stick with them forever. That’s an absurdly powerful tool. We need to actually be looking into these claims and investigating them as a movement and saying conclusively whether they’re to be upheld or not. How we do that I have no loving idea but as long as we aren’t, the right and indeed bad faith actors within the left will have endless ammo.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think the reason it keeps sticking in my head is because every time it comes up the answer is "he's been a bit weird about it" and so I just remember "he's a bit weird about it" and that pushes my preference towards the other options. It's not like he's uniquely left wing or politically brilliant.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Dec 31, 2020

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

I think the reason it keeps sticking in my head is because every time it comes up the answer is "he's been a bit weird about it" and so I just remember "he's a bit weird about it" and that pushes my preference towards the other options. It's not like he's uniquely left wing or politically brilliant.

This is what I mean. Obviously can’t blame you for this because it’s a totally natural phenomenon but it gives the right a ludicrously powerful weapon against anyone they like. We absolutely need a way to combat it while also rooting out genuine arseholes.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean... I don't know that I'm being affected by a right wing plot if it makes me prefer sultana or burgon to the guy who seems a bit dudebro-ey for my taste?

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
If he was investigated by Labour and they found there was nothing wrong then isn't that enough?

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Not in your case specifically maybe, but that sort of effect of something just sort of sticking because you heard it somewhere, and the left having no way to say ‘no gently caress off with that it’s bullshit’ (or indeed confirm it’s validity with some confidence), can be used and is used effectively as a weapon. Anti-semitism is the perfect example. Sure, maybe that wasn’t surmountable but the left has a natural aversion to calling out an accusation of bigotry or abuse as bullshit - now that is healthy and there should always be some aversion to that but when all evidence points to bullshit we need to be able to just call it that without concession.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Ms Adequate posted:

she makes drat sure that said opinions stay very strictly private, and in public is mostly about opening wazzock factories
I have not heard about this new industrial strategy.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you had a gun to my head and said it was clive lewis or the corpse of norman tebbit then sure, not that I particularly have any faith in labour's investigative rigor, but if I am picking anybody I want then I think there are better options?

I also, to be honest, don't think that this is an issue that you can solve with "it's bullshit" because fundamentally I don't think that reflects the accurate reality of the world. A lot of people have suspect and wrong ideas, myself included, and it is entirely appropriate that people should become distrusting of people based on their past behaviour. This does not mean you have to vote for the maximum human misery party because the somewhat problematic party is the other option, but nor does it mean that the somewhat problematic party needs to become the "actually nobody did anything wrong ever" party because that need to secure a flawless public image is exactly the mechanism by which actual legit claims of abuse get covered up.

The only way foward is to acknowledge that people can be flawed and you can both suggest better options and also understand that wrongness can operate on a spectrum. Saying we need to somehow conform this whole variety of social attitudes into a black and white good or bad media narrative is to entirely accept the right wing/media framing of the issue and directly prevents the kind of progress I would hope that people on the recieving end of lovely behaviour banding together to call it out, would actually achieve.

The problem, I think, that tarnishing public figures images causes, is more centered in the apparent desire for people to imagine public figures as ideal people to begin with and not being able to emotionally process the revelation that they aren't. Rather than in the act of assessing the realities of their character. I don't think the correct response to that is to try desperately to reconstruct the ideal. Because that process is what covers up lovely behaviour and critically it also isn't something you can do, it will always ring hollow.

The whole idea that we need pure perfect leaders to follow is, I think, an indictment of the entire concept of leadership in general, and an inherently right wing understanding of the world. Yes if you are going to conceive of yourself and your political activity as being defined by service to a leader then that leader does need to be perfect, because if they are imperfect it reflects on you as a person, but people aren't perfect and so the necessary course of action is to stop thinking of yourself and your ideas in that way. And you also need to stop structuing your political activity that way. The left has always had the difficulty that we are fractious and want our own things, and we have also always had the problem that if our ideas are centered in a leader than that leader becomes a target. If anything I think the fact that people can be outed as creeps only adds another layer of argument as to why we can't center our political activities under specific leaders or institutions.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Dec 31, 2020

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

keep punching joe posted:

Nah you're alright.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

no ethical consumption etc

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

The problem, I think, that tarnishing public figures images causes, is more centered in the apparent desire for people to imagine public figures as ideal people to begin with and not being able to emotionally process the revelation that they aren't.
*dual wields hot dogs* The source of this is, I think, rooted in the casting of us all as risk-averse consumer-subjects satisfying inauthentic needs through commoditized identities. Half of us wouldn't buy a lettuce that had some spots on it, let alone an apple that might be a racist. Translating that pattern of consumption to elected representatives doesn't work, and we have to accept that we might be electing someone who we have to spend the rest of their time in their appointment keeping an eye on or actively opposing. You're right in that we should be going for the person who we might need to spend the least time keeping an eye on or actively opposing, but the people who persist in acting like we should be going for someone where we don't need to do it at all are engaging in end of history consumer politics, and we are not of the class that gets to just purchase clockwork representatives.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

it is incredibly frustrating that the right can invent a vague story about a left figure being a bit sus and everyone leaps to believe it and abandons their comrade. Meanwhile you can have concrete evidence that a right wing politician is a serial sexual harasser, corrupt as gently caress and explicitly a racist piece of poo poo and they just shrug and go "who gives a poo poo".

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Jakabite posted:

This is what I mean. Obviously can’t blame you for this because it’s a totally natural phenomenon but it gives the right a ludicrously powerful weapon against anyone they like. We absolutely need a way to combat it while also rooting out genuine arseholes.

You're completely right, but I honestly don't see how we can ever get beyond the point where only the left are ever held to account, or where accusations, in good faith or otherwise, ever get traction for anyone except left wing politicians.

I mean, has anyone still got a copy of that junior staffers' spreadsheet from a couple of years ago? Iirc the right honorable Boris Johnson was literally accused of pressuring a woman into getting an abortion and it was never mentioned again

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Eating meat is fine, but there needs to be a serious rethink in how it's farmed. That goes for dairy too. In the UK especially we have massive fields of crops just for feeding cattle which could be better utilised, e.g for growing veg that other animals and humans can consume.

Also there are so many good meat alternatives now that I've found myself eating less and less meat this year. The only meat I've bought has been from a local farm.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Necrothatcher posted:

a right wing politician is a serial sexual harasser, corrupt as gently caress and explicitly a racist piece of poo poo and they just shrug and go "who gives a poo poo".

It's not really surprising, but more part of the definition, you see.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think ultimately we are partway through a cultural shift where more people are realising how hosed up our society is in a lot of ways, but we haven't yet quite figured out how to respond to that. So you have some people trying desperately to deny that lovely people are lovely, some people who are trying to say "so what who cares" and some people trying to synthesise the two via "ok they might be lovely but we need to act as if they aren't because they need to function in the old paradigm of society and particularly its leaders being great and good" and some more people who are trying to genuinely find a way to somehow find some people to elevate out of the hosed up society as paragons to follow.

But I don't really think any of those are going to work, long term, for everyone. I can't see what the end state is but I do think that what you're seeing is a lot of different and chaotic reactions to the same problem and what reaction people have is also a big component of their politics, wherein yes the right have the advantage at the moment because they are just going "lol who cares" because they're garbage people who like how hosed up society is and so does their support base.

There are a lot of new approaches struggling to be born and they are all having to contend against the larger individual bloc of "actually the lovely one is good" because the status quo always has the advantage. But it's arguing about it, I think, that is necessary to finding an approach that can work for more people. That and actualy empowering people on as many levels as possible to make the old system untenable. Which is difficult because it's entrenched into the existing power structures, but all you can do is keep pushing. To that end I still think the iconoclasm of the metoo approach is a good one. And yes it will at some point be co-opted by the right, to an extent it already was when the democrats tried to bury it because of biden, but that is just another thing the struggle must adapt to. Because it is, fundamentally, a struggle against all power structures, not just ones that are politically convenient to one party.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Dec 31, 2020

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

CyberPingu posted:

Eating meat is fine, but there needs to be a serious rethink in how it's farmed. That goes for dairy too. In the UK especially we have massive fields of crops just for feeding cattle which could be better utilised, e.g for growing veg that other animals and humans can consume.

Also there are so many good meat alternatives now that I've found myself eating less and less meat this year. The only meat I've bought has been from a local farm.
Hopefully we can just start growing it sometime soon. But yeah there's a ton of much better bean based substitutes than there used to be too, and one positive of this year is that "keeping thousands of animals arse to face in their own filth creates disease factories" has gone over very well as an argument. Also large rewilded spaces where people can hunt for the pot is still more moral than factory farming reflood the Fens and bring back heathen duck drug cults.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Guavanaut posted:

heathen duck drug cults.

Solid tabloid headline and/or SA username this

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

The Moving Mountains burgers and hotdogs are really good.

The hotdogs actually taste better than any real hotdog I've had*

*This is probably due to the fact that most hotdogs have very little meat quantity in them anyway.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

I like Burgon, but he comes across as a bit dim to many people, and he makes big statements like stuff about forming a Tiny Benn school without making it clear it's more of a Labour campaigner training environment than a traditional school.

I know we can't base our selection off who is gonna get the easiest time from the tabloids because it's none of them, but he walks into rakes far too easily, so Sultana is the better pick IMO, plus then the Tories and Lib Dems could gently caress off about Labour not having a woman leader

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Tiny Benn is the Mini-Me of Tony Benn.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Yeah I don’t know the answer to this. I want to see that paradigm shift you talk about Owly, where we can get to a point where we can accept that our leaders (if existent) aren’t perfect and everyone is flawed, but I also think this might take far too long to happen to a sufficient degree that smear tactics and such become ineffective and the left can actually take any power. If we weren’t about to see an enormous ecological collapse I’d be happy to wait but as it is I’m beginning to think the left needs to start worrying less about changing higher concept attitudes like how we think of leaders and power, and more about taking that power and averting the crisis to come. I’ve spent the last year and a half in very active anarchist circles and honestly the lack of urgency and focus on higher concepts is exhausting, and kind of feels like not seeing the trees for the woods. Like sure deconstruct hierarchy and the concept of leaders but can it wait until we’re not on a collision course with the end of civilisation? You could argue it’s an integral part of it as most people who think that way do but I just don’t think it is. Th vast majority of normal folk I’ve spoken to are happy to talk about the concrete changes that are needed and generally err left, which is good, but then the left starts talking high concept and honestly most people glaze over and you can tell they’re thinking ‘oh right this person is some political smart arse weirdo, they don’t actually want to kick out the tories and make my life better.’

Maybe the argument just isn’t being made well enough but I can’t see it being made well enough by a wide enough cross section of society, soon enough, to be effective. A lot of this sentiment comes from personal frustrations with liberation movements so can’t tell how clouded my judgement is but my feeling is that folks on our wavelength will still be hooting and hollering about how we think about leaders and hierarchy and other such abstracts (which yea I know have real world effects but are abstract nonetheless) while the right and centre talk ‘plain simple sensible English’ and get stuff done.

E: what is this, a school for socialist ants?!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

OwlFancier posted:

I think ultimately we are partway through a cultural shift where more people are realising how hosed up our society is in a lot of ways, but we haven't yet quite figured out how to respond to that.

Yeah, we're at that point where people know how screwed we are, but not at the point where we can easily do anything about it, as everyone who is not right wing is to fractured in their political beliefs.

A lot of people I know think we're heading towards another communist/french style global revolution - but when, we don't know - things can't carry on like this, and the corona virus has shown the cracks (esp in the US), but until we get that random spark that sets it off, we won't see action, people are to afraid to lose what they have, so things will keep stacking up in the 1%'s favour until the dam breaks.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

Tiny Benn is the Mini-Me of Tony Benn.

Tiny Benn convinced his dad to unionise against Scrooge.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean if you want I can just phase it as "Do you want the person in charge of the government to have the same attitude as your boss?"

Like all this stuff is ultimately an extrapolation of stuff I either like or don't like. Like: people who aren't dickheads. Don't like: twats who think they're god's gift. Ergo anarchism.

Part of the reason I err more towards burgon and sultana is I haven't seem them being like, really brash, because that's a trait I find offputting in people. I associate it with people who are inconsiderate and I find those people unpleasant to be around and that they often have bad effects on others around them.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Dec 31, 2020

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
I mean no I don’t. But I also don’t think anarchism is remotely possible in the next at least hundred years. I absolutely think and hope it will eventually be how things are run but we have a ticking time bomb to worry about here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Call my high concept Tinie Benn cause it make normal people Pass Out.