Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

endlessmonotony posted:

Anyone got an update on Keir's deeply held values?

{NULL}

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

pie chat earlier got me in the mood to make a pot pie with the turkey drumsticks i puddled this week:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

kecske posted:

thats a good looking pie imo

thx friend, i like to bake as a hobby. everything got easier once i simplified my strategies (all pies made with one dough, all breads / pizza / pastry made with one of two doughs, etc).

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i mean it’s normal pie crust. that’s what it does when you don’t poke holes in it. i blind baked a bottom crust and put it in the container then filled it, put the top crust on and baked. but cool?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I keep meaning to look up how to get my samsung laser printer (non-wifi equipped) wifi enabled so I can use it without having to drag a usb cable on an extension lead across my living room. My wifi enabled canon inkjet printer which costs more to run gets more use simply because of the bother of digging out the cable for the other one.

yeah the thing you'll need since the printer doesn't have ethernet is a usb print server. unfortunately they're pricey, picky, and pretty poorly reviewed. you might consider selling your samsung and using it to offset the purchase of something like this if the final price delta isn't too much for you (i have one and like it):

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Brother-HL...06928536&sr=8-3

i dunno if it's something that's feasible for you, but if your router has a usb port on it, it may already support acting as a print server.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Thanks - though the price delta is way too big - the laser printer is only a couple of years old and I have a whole new cartridge waiting to go in it when the current one dies. The inconvenience of plugging the darn thing is bearable compared to that price.
Just checked the router - no USB port :(

alas!!

you might be able to find a deal on an active usb cable that is several metres long, then run it along baseboards where it won’t be so noticeable?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Jose posted:

Stop flying on non-pressurised planes.

On that note I highly recommend going parachuting after the plague if you're able

strong pass

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i wonder if as 3d printers inevitably get cheaper and easier to use and higher quality over time whether we’ll see an open source replacement eventually take hold.

i mean i know warhammer is popular but in the fullness of time stuffs expensive.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

stev posted:

I know they licence books and games a lot more than they used to but it always amazes me how profitable the figures continue to be. Who are these adults who have the time, money and space to build and paint armies and landscapes in TYOOL 2020?

not my thing but also not much different than any other hobby. especially during a pandemic, i’ve seen some great paint jobs being posted places lately

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Were they UK or US based? If US, maybe the things are a lot cheaper.

I recall something that went very flat in Cairo - a band from the US were over and were basically saying they had been so skint they had to live on Macdonalds. Instead of appreciative laughs they were obviously expecting, it went down like a lead balloon because outside of the US, a Macdonalds is an expensive treat especially if you have an army of little kids too. In Cairo, for example, a big mac and fries cost something like 1kg of beef and many Egyptians had stopped buying meat because of the price increases.

us farm subsidies in action!

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Good point. Posh RP then.

It's interesting seeing how Americans use their own accents for regional stuff. In the UK we kind of understand the stereotypes associated with valley girl, alabama, new york, boston, minnesota thanks to Fargo, but not really much more than that. I saw an RP where they gave the dockworkers Massachusetts accents and it was interesting.

meanwhile americans think almost any british accent (south african, australian, welsh, it’s all british) makes you smarter. the idea that there regional accents within britain barely even registers.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Naomi Wimborne Idrissi (Chair of Jewish Voice for Labour) has been suspended for anti-semitism.

amazing. literally just after that video where she talked about being called the “wrong kind of jew”, too.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

feedmegin posted:

Rab C Nesbitt was possibly being a touch unfair.

we did a scotch tasting a few years ago with my mil and her husband and saw the angels’ share beforehand. he was really struggling without subtitles before we got too far in lol

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

WhatEvil posted:

I assume it's the same as in Canada, i.e. completely loving backwards. We have "Interac" transfers here but that only goes up to $3000 - which admittedly is fine for most stuff but when you have say, a deposit on a rental, or want to buy a car or something then yeah it's physical cheque or bank draft only. Not only that you have to pay to get cheques, they're like a couple of dollars each.

Also Interac transfers are more of a faff - you have to enter a password then give that password to the other person and they have to enter it.

Also bank accounts are not free - $17/month for a current account (though they refund it if you keep the balance above $4k).

Oh and there's a weird unequivalence of debit and credit cards - most stuff like online payments is credit cards only. Similarly for weird random stuff like contactless parking meters - if you don't have a credit card you literally can't pay for some things.

it's because the credit/debit confluence happened here later. you've been able to use debit cards like credit cards in the states for at least a couple of decades now.

also you should seriously get a new bank if you're getting charged $17/month. we don't pay anything like that and my account does not have a big balance in it.

additionally if you set up a specific email address as registered with interac payments for your bank, then you don't have to faff about with a password; any e-transfers sent to your email address will automatically be deposited in whatever account you've pre-arranged.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

lol

https://twitter.com/docrussjackson/status/1334805755736829958?s=21

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Regarde Aduck posted:

I don't get how tweets like that don't go viral. The PM of grate Britane is a murder furry and no one cares.

it goes on to basically out bojo as another conservative that likes to masturbate while thinking of himself as something like a military man

do like ‘murder furry’ tho

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Jose posted:

my MP is such a oval office that I was told my mam wouldn't piss on him if he was on fire.

its kind of weird that after jettisoning all the stuff he claimed to support starmer still has yet to give anyone a reason to vote for him. he's spent his entire time either abstaining, agreeing wtih the government or factional infighting lol

like even if his entire thing was "present absolutely no policies at all and just look competent over boris" it falls over because first he had dishy rishi looking way more competent and now he can't even properly purge hitler mk 2 jeremy corbyn

that said for general incompetence and poo poo centrist melts check this out

https://twitter.com/alexkotch/status/1334898064411287553?s=20

lmao gently caress me

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

jesus christ i wish this was all the worry i had in life

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Bobstar posted:

While we're chatting about electricity, I just discovered this guy on Youtube, who seems like he should be annoying but he's actually quite fun.

Learn all about US power! (and he talks about UK power right at the end)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMmUoZh3Hq4

i’m a fan of this guys videos. lots of stuff on vintage tech that’s super cool.

seeing you guys diagnose these issues those makes me more content with the NA system although if i ever redo the kitchen i’m putting in more 240 outlets so i can have a high voltage kettle

edit: speaking that dude and tvs you should check out the video he did on a black and white tv that uses a physical sheet to make the video coloured. it’s like magic.

mediaphage fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Dec 5, 2020

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Guavanaut posted:

The NA system that does split phase instead of three phase is bad.

The UK system that has ring circuits is terrible.

The UK having ring circuits ostensibly to save copper and then doing all the central heating with copper pipes full of stagnant water is a level beyond terrible.

you’re not wrong although a number of places will run three phase to your house if you want (though obviously you still need to segregate things out internally) and tons of restaurants work on three phase.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Communist Thoughts posted:

JK has a real toilet thing huh

harry potter 2 mainly takes place in a toilet

reminder that until recently when wizards took bathrooms from muggles they just shat themselves and spelled it away

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

the uk is only going to get trade deals with countries who have similar flag patterns

Vitamin P posted:

They really do don't they?

Philosphers Stone - Big scary troll invades girls toilet
Chamber of Secrets - Girls toilet is where they brew the potion to change their bodies (also that toilet is haunted by a girl that got killed by a snake in it years ago)
Prisoner of Azkaban - ????
Goblet of Fire - Fancy prefect bathroom is where Cedric and Harry figure out the egg puzzle/get perved on by the ghost girl
Order of the Phoenix - People get into the government by flushing themselves down the toilet
Half-Blood Prince - Harry nearly kills Draco in the girls toilet
Deathly Hallows - Voldemort invades Harrys brain, he goes to the toilet to cry and be sick

It's not enough to be a theme exactly but she does love a toilet.

let's not forget that the lady ghost is a complete perv and consistently and inappropriately spies on people in the bath or using the bathroom to get her rocks off

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

to be clear i chuckled at some of it, too. i just think it's worth pointing out in discussion of her overall politics ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Ms Adequate posted:

It is an interesting constitutional question about what happens if a part of an existing country wants to join the US and how that would work. I uh, I don't think Scotland would be super eager for that path though.

I mean I assume it's just as any other part wanting to become a state really, and it's actually more a political than constitutional question, but you know.

yes. the constitution forbids making anywhere a state that doesn't vote for it first. so scotland would have to vote to become a state and make the application to congress. then congress would vote and if it passed by a two-thirds majority, they'd be a state of the union and assigned two senators and ~ 8 representatives.

i mean this would never happen of course but i do like the idea of scottish legislators joining congress and just putting up with absolutely no poo poo

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Jedit posted:

Let's also not forget that in the movie the actress who played her spying on Harry in the bath was 35 years old at the time.

gross although the least problematic issue, considering.

i ended up following the dude who played oliver wood on twitter somehow, probably because he made funny political posts for a while, and he was (rightfully) always going off on middle-aged women who would write overtly sexual posts about the character he played and he'd be like THAT IS A SEVENTEEN YEAR OLD BOY JFC

Vigil for Virgil posted:

Totalitarian vegetables?

How much did it cost Neil?

"Jeremy Corbyn found growing carrots in his allotment, a favourite vegetable of Hitler."

mediaphage fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Dec 6, 2020

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

sebzilla posted:

Dude's name is "biggerstaff" iirc though so what do you expect?

honestly? not to sexualize children

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

“just go get a 300 quid pair of headphones and you’re set”

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

forkboy84 posted:

Sadly most people don't have work willing to splurge on actually good noise cancelling headphones

it's not quite the same but when i work from a coffeeshop i often put in earplugs then headphones on top of that, cranked. they can be turned to music (classical works well but isn't everyone's cup of tea; i just can't listen to lyrics when i'm writing), environmental sounds, whatever. works really well.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

forkboy84 posted:

Operation Shooting Up

operation penetration

in re water chat i feel extremely blessed to have never lived anywhere that was even remotely water scarce

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

no, i know it’s edgy to post responses like this but i’m not worried about the great lakes running out of water soon

Failed Imagineer posted:

It's a profound insight to take a moment and realise that you can literally just put out some plastic tarp and a saucepan and never have to worry about dying of thirst at least 300 days of the year, and how untrue that it is for billions of people.

absolutely.

Failed Imagineer posted:

Also the lack of Shai Hulud makes walking to the shops a lot less stressful

i lolled

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Guavanaut posted:

My dehumidifier makes about 8l a day of theoretically potable (though I'd want to zap it with UVC first) water from our wet rear end air, so as long as there's electricity I'm water safe [grid collapsing sounds intensify].

e:

She's a voice of wisdom if you're interested in profiting from horror and touching kids.

lol meanwhile i’m humidifying my air to avoid the Itches

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Failed Imagineer posted:

As always, identify your weakest neighbour with the best-stocked garage.

(An aside - I feel like this genre of joke will age poorly as this kind of thing becomes more real. It's basically an eco-fash premise in the first place. But in this case, I am encouraging you to start your cannibal rampage from the highest income bracket and work your way down)

i flat out encourage friends and neighbours to use our stuff.

in terms of christmas gift choice my top pick is the ardbeg though i’ve never had it. i have enough of everything else probably. if you don’t have a decent bluetooth speaker those sonys are very nice especially considering their size.

mediaphage fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Dec 7, 2020

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Guavanaut posted:

I thought the big selling point of poly notes is that they do last long enough to be worth what they're made of, and anyone who wasn't the most identitarian mech-eng was already itching for a reason to make vending and ticket machines scan notes?

pretty much. still not as long lasting as coins but very durable. canada switched over some years ago.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

lmaaaaaaoooooo competent leadership my rear end

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

a local rental place still manages to do a brisk business in movie and game rentals, surprisingly. i wonder how theyre doing during the pandemic

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

To the person who sent me a PM:

Trying to reply using phone isn't happening cant get the cursor in the right place.

Will try and remember to reply next time I'm using computer not phone (not today)

How people function with just a phone I do not know these itty bitty screen keyboards are a pain and the constant errors by the soddin auto incorrect do my head in.

[/Whinge]

i'm not sure what phone you have but if you want to try, the awful apps might be a good way to use the forums on mobile.

as for xmas presents, i'm a big fan of giving stuff i make or stuff that will be used (food, cosmetics, whatever) so that someone isn't forced to keep something around forever. but not everyone will respond well to that.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

cyberpunk 2077 is trash. prolly fun to play once the bugs are worked out but otherwise complete and total cultural trash, transphobic, and the company is basically explicitly trying to cause people to have seizures while playing it.

Guavanaut posted:

The HP LaserJet 4+ will never die. The world will run out of paper and carbon powder and someone somewhere will be living in a shack writing updated drivers.

fun fact hp is one of the few laser printer companies that uses iron in a lot of their toner products, instead of just carbon. as a result you can print onto slip sheets and fire them onto pottery in a kiln, leaving a brick reddish / black permanent image on the product as the iron migrates into the glaze.

as for basic cheap printer chat, i'm also a fan of the basic brother laser printer, whichever one has wifi so you don't need to hook it up to anything. as you run out of toner you can probably shake the cartridge a few times to get more sheets out of it. you can buy cheap toner replacements but i opt for name brand as i've read far too many reviews where people have cartridges break in the printer and spew toner onto everything. they're expensive but last for literally thousands of pages so i look at it as an acceptable cost.

i don't recommend thermal printers unless you need them; they require special paper, and that paper is usually coated in part with bisphenol-A, a probable endocrine disruptor: there are associations but not necessarily known causal links (still, you should try to wash your hands after handling receipts). as mentioned they also fade over time, and will turn completely black if you leave them in sufficient heat, like the dashboard of a car

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

It is always weird when people say they have close relationships with people with really weird political beliefs. Like you would think it would be an obstacle.

yeah tbh i don’t get it. i’m all for solidarity and treating others with respect but i couldn’t handle being friends let alone married to people who support really evil poo poo. conversation between co-workers or socialists-to-be, sure. friends and family? no thanks.

“oh but they’re so nice personally” yeah they still think immigrants and queers are evil so

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Regarde Aduck posted:

No lets not keep this whole 'chud company tried to assassinate all epileptics' theory going.

i don’t think they really want kids to have seizures. with that said this was a concern that was brought up before launch and they didn’t do anything about it. also i never said anything about them being a chud company? i don’t know what their politics are.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Blueshirt posted:

I can guarantee that you have people in your life who have views you'd get mad about if expressed online, and they will have expressed these views to you, but you gloss over it and don't see it. Real life is messy, and perception is weird.

not really. i’m happy to call people out on racist and classist poo poo and write them off if they keep it up after having a discussion about it.

if that makes me an rear end in a top hat so be it, but i’ve been through enough that i have no desire to surround myself with more of it. to be clear i’m also 100% fine with friends calling me out if i say something i lack the perspective to realize is problematic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Isomermaid posted:

Toryism is unforgivable, no matter how fine you are.

in before someone comes to tell us all how unreasonable this is