Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

^^^ Considering who was presenting TOTP in 1973, did you ever consider that they may have been right?

gh0stpinballa posted:

as i understand it younge and dawn foster were eased out at the "suggestion" of some other CiF columnists with more clout there

So what you're saying is that comment is not, in fact, free?

Jedit fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Dec 1, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Ms Adequate posted:

e; In 1916 the British government concluded an agreement with Sharif of Mecca Hussein bin Ali whereby he would launch the Great Arab Revolt and, in return, the British would recognize a unified Arab state that emerged, one proposed to extend from Aleppo to Yemen. This agreement was definitely not made with no intention of being honored, and after the war's conclusion the Middle East was definitely not divided up according to the Sykes-Picot Agreement with France instead.

No wonder Iraq ended up the way it did. Hussein vs Mecca Hussein was only ever going to have one ending.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Vigil for Virgil posted:

Don't France do this every time a summit is about to happen.

Yes, and the EU will already have their sweetener planned.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Saros posted:

I wonder if they keep doing this outrageously obvious pattern because the UK negotiating leads are legit dumb enough to fall for it every time.

The UK negotiators didn't have anything to do with EU sweeteners before we left. I'm talking about what the EU will offer France to shut up and comply.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Vigil for Virgil posted:

Didn't the EU say no more extensions?

No, they said the exact opposite - we could have freely extended the transition period until as late as the end of 2022 if required, and could have done so as late as July. That we didn't do this in the middle of the worst global health crisis in a century is entirely on the head of Boris Johnson.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

mediaphage posted:

let's not forget that the lady ghost is a complete perv and consistently and inappropriately spies on people in the bath or using the bathroom to get her rocks off

Let's also not forget that in the movie the actress who played her spying on Harry in the bath was 35 years old at the time.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

The Question IRL posted:

"Lay on Nurse Macduff.
And damned be he that first cries "Vax! Enough!"

By the pricking of my arms, vaccination this way comes.

(And I'm positively shocked that nobody best me to that one.)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

I think the NIP should be campaigning on the back of holding a referendum on whether the northern counties wish to join up with independent Scotland, but - and this is crucial - as an entity in their own right rather than as a part of Scotland. Imagine the amount of piss that would boil in the Home Counties if they were sat alone in Little England having lost the name of the country to the United Kingdom of Scotland and Northern England.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Chubby Henparty posted:

We fell for Canon's cunning trap and bought an actually very good printer from Argos for £35 and tiny brand cartridges turn about to be like £50 each. Anyone point us towards the best cheap supplier?

I know you just put up the Teethsignal, but: if you don't want to just buy the same printer again because it is cheaper, look for a cartridge refilling shop.

E: @Camrath - add Lotus biscuit to your list of experimental fudge sorceries, would you?

Jedit fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Dec 9, 2020

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

The delightful green santa distributing dank nugs to all the good children.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

As I recall she'd been suffering from severe dementia for years.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Page snipe: 60 - I am 60. "Now we are sixty" is not a book by A A Milne. Would 10 copies of "Now we are six" count?

It is a book by Christopher Milne, though.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

Lord North might still be worse, depending upon whether Johnson manages to destroy the union or not.

Exciting to be living in times where Lord North is second worst. :geno:

Lord North is far from the worst PM we ever had and definitely better than any of the last three. Losing the Colonies is his defining feature, but that was a historical inevitability. The real blame for it happening on his watch lies with Lord Howe, the commander of the British forces; he could easily have won the war close to the outset if he hadn't dithered, intentionally or otherwise. Outside of that North had some big successes both internationally and domestically, and he removed several laws discriminating against Catholics.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

Would it have kept pushing west though? Independence not succeeding means that the Proclamation of 1763 is still in effect, which sets a western limit. There'd be grumbling about that at the various governors' mansions, but it still leaves Louisiana (both the state and the wider area) in nominal French and Native American hands.

The Proclamation was part of why independence was inevitable. It was made because London was fearful that if the colonies expanded too far it would be impossible to administrate them from Britain, not to mention that in the event of a secession conflict they'd be much richer and stronger. But at the same time it was a restriction that the colonies wanted to kick against for exactly those reasons. Taxes were the excuse for the American Revolution, but if Britain had bowed on that it would have been the prohibition on expansion instead.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

namesake posted:

Well that's just code for 'actually attends a meeting about it' isn't It?

Look at this person who thinks Boris will attend a meeting. He'll do nothing, as always.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

namesake posted:

No they'll say this is the worst possible outcome and a horrible reflection on Corbyns Labour Party for not being strong enough opposition to stop it.

Which is around 30% true. If Corbyn had been a stronger leader he would have purged the likes of Hoey and Mann in 2017. Without them, the vote forcing the government to keep us in the Single Market passes. Boris probably still calls a GE in late 2019 so he can apply the principle of no government binding its successor, but he has to do it specifically so we can exit the EU with no deal (or break the deal we've already agreed). I'm not sure that has the same outcome as the election to "Get Brexit Done", and even if it does then he loses his capacity to blame the EU for the fallout.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Miftan posted:

I'm Jewish and I celebrate xmas because everyone around me does and it makes them happy.

We celebrate Christmas with gifts of chocolate oranges.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

BizarroAzrael posted:

Does anyone have a Costco card, is it worth it? I'm thinking about doing a run in the next few days to stock up on non-perishables. Any recommendations beyond noodles and loo roll? I guess maybe flour.

A Costco card is worth it, but there are conditions for getting one. Once you have one, though, the world is your mollusc of choice (as long as you want a 5 litre tub of ghee).

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

TACD posted:

If you know anybody that has one see if they’ll bring you along as a guest

Costco aren't letting people in as guests right now.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Vitamin P posted:

Without looking I am absolutely certain it's a buyers market for finding a highly educated professional racen'gender-whisperer that will take your money in exchange for a Zoom call. If you're really desperate give me half an hour and I'll whip you up an e-voucher for the Vitamin P unconscious bias training programme.

You know we're not trying to make them better at it?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

radmonger posted:

WTO exit? In case anyone else wondered:

It means exiting the EU on WTO terms, not exiting the WTO.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Jeremy Bulloch has passed away, so we've lost Darth Vader and Boba Fett in the space of a month.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

The ancient martial code of Brexido is exemplified by the tradition of seppUKu.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

happyhippy posted:

There's a 90's 2000AD comic strip called Zenith. Its about the UK developing super heroes first for WW2, not the US. Think 1960s Austin Powers heroes, then bleak Thatcher Tory Heroes, against nazis. Good read, would recommend.
The PM from it is a a super hero who just jedi mind tricks loving everyone to be leader of the world.

1980s, but yes. Zenith is basically superhero Robbie Williams and a complete twat, the villain of book 2 is Richard Branson, and book 3 contains practically every classic British hero from the Fleetway/IPC era. The books get increasingly weirder and weaker though, so stop when you've had enough.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Miftan posted:

Makes sure you stick some tin foil and candles on them to annoy Guavanaut.

But then the chocolate would melt.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

ReActor posted:

Is it not for the same reason most people don’t like HS2 i.e. they think it’s the wrong direction for public spending on railways? I had a little look at their website. They call it “pointless”, “expensive” and “a train line for the 1%, not the 99% of rail users”.

Pretty much. HS2 isn't necessarily a bad thing, but neglecting the rail infrastructure of the entire country so that businessmen can get from London to Birmingham 40 minutes faster is.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Communist Thoughts posted:

The new finance rules appear to allow a lot of grey areas so I assume our finance sector will just become even more criminal and dodgy, I doubt its going anywhere sadly

The EU documents describe the new situation as "less stable". The finance sector is absolutely going to take steps to stabilise that, and said steps will be in the direction of Frankfurt.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

May you all see your crushed enemies driven before you this festive season!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

I would suggest that perhaps a good takeaway is that people will spontaneously attempt to organize in such a way as to provide that when it is necessary, and what you should endeavour to do is stop creating structures that gently caress it up or incite it to become nazis.

You just incited me to want a takeaway, you rotten bastard. :argh:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Endjinneer posted:

That's predicated on a Labour/SNP coalition being the only likely outcome of weak Labour majority though. That Goldilocks situation of just not quite a Labour majority could as easily lead to a coalition with the Lib Dems as the SNP.

You're not making sense. The SNP are likely to have north of 50 MPs in 2024 if they don't get an independence referendum after May's Scottish elections. The Lib Dems might muster 20, if they're really lucky, but are more likely to remain around half that. And that's before you consider that the Lib Dems aren't going to enter into coalition with Labour; they would rather force a Labour minority government to struggle and fail, so they can go back to their regular business of quietly propping up the Tories on everything except Europe.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Well, have you seen the last four Prime Ministers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

https://twitter.com/SpillerOfTea/status/1344629788191973376