Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

If Burton and Topman close I'll have to find somewhere else to buy literally all of my clothes. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Private Speech posted:

Yeah I'm kinda sad, I buy some stuff from Crew Clothing/Wills/Fat Face, but it's a fair bit pricier.

It's genuinely crap, Burton is one of the few high street shops that actually has a decent range and stock of clothes for fat fuckers.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Skeletome posted:

god all this trans news is just absolutely grim isn't it

Last night I couldn't sleep, thinking incessantly about the fact I've known I was trans since 18, now I'm 28 and I've done nothing about it out of fear of perception from the family etc etc and god I really have missed the boat haven't I lol

maybe it's cowardly but part of me is somewhat glad I haven't because being yourself seems loving difficult in this climate

That boat's not going anywhere without you, you haven't missed it.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Genuinely have no idea how I managed with a sub-40 inch TV. My eyesight was either amazing or we must have sat really close.

I can't really talk though, I'm the prick who starts messing with other people's TV settings to turn off motion smoothing. Most of the time they say they can't see any difference. :negative:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Motion smoothing? I have never heard of that!
I know those 3D photos people post on Facebook sometimes make me feel nauseous.

It's the setting that simulates a high framerate on modern TVs, making everything look like it was filmed on a lovely cheap camera like Eastenders.

Most new TVs have it turned on by default, and everyone who actually makes films and TV shows wants it abolished.

Bobstar posted:

I think it's the thing that makes everything look like a soap. Has something to do with high frame rates.

I saw someone arguing that we should stop living in the past regarding frame rates, and embrace the new look. To which I say, films are meant to look cinematic. It's like arguing that theatrical lighting is heightened and stylised, and would be better if it was naturalistic. It wouldn't (unless that's the effect you're going for).

24 frames helps create the illusion - your mind fills in the missing frames with what it's supposed to see. When a film simulates 48+ frames you can't do that though, and suddenly that castle is very obviously a polystyrene set.

stev fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Dec 1, 2020

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

OwlFancier posted:

It took me a further ten minutes before I remembered the only reason I know the name was because of the last of us which I have not even played.

He wasn't even in it! Naughty Dog were accused off copying his likeness and they tweaked the character model at some point before it came out so Ellie doesn't really look like him now.

He was in that poo poo David Cage game though and he acted like they were close friends which clearly wasn't true - Cage is a creepy, creepy man.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I'm going to be a bit flippant because I dunno what else to do. Does it seem a bit like Elliott feels obliged to keep a very similar name to his former deadname for societal/professional reasons?

Did people less in the public eye do that? Like I always thought having a kid, the cool bit would be naming them whatever I want so definitely if I'm kind of giving birth to myself all over again I'm gonna choose a name without inhibition rather than one that's so closely tied to the name I'm escaping. Apologies if escaping is the wrong word there.

Kae Tempest did the same a few months ago - literally just removed one letter (and lmao of course one of the first results when you search them is a Guardian article using their deadname). I suppose it makes sense when you have an established career under your deadname to choose something that people will recognize even if they don't know you've transitioned.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Is it generally considered to be A Good Thing™ that we're getting the vaccine so quickly? It's hard to pick apart genuine concerns from anti-vax dog whistles and :tinfoil:.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Borrovan posted:

On the one hand, there could potentially be some adverse long term consequences that it isn't possible to test for in the short term

If we end up in a war with hyper intelligent apes then I'm all for it.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

We're supposed to be going back in March but it'll be ultra-flexible. A bunch of people where I work moved away from London at the start of the pandemic so they wouldn't be able to work in the office anymore anyway (and I guess are willing to gamble that they won't lose their jobs as a result).

I do miss aspects of going into work. The social aspect of working is basically gone, and I know I wouldn't have made the friends I have at work if we'd always worked remotely. I'd ideally want to do no more than two days a week in the office now though - assuming it was safe.

stev fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Dec 2, 2020

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Julio Cruz posted:

if people are working from home they might be having fun on company time and we simply cannot allow that

Honestly the hardest thing about going back into the office is I won't be able to have a little lie down whenever I want.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Comrade Fakename posted:

Hmmm, a “lie down”, is it? I think you could do better as a euphemism.

It can mean two things!

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I know they licence books and games a lot more than they used to but it always amazes me how profitable the figures continue to be. Who are these adults who have the time, money and space to build and paint armies and landscapes in TYOOL 2020?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Dabir posted:

The thing about hobbies for kids is that you can cheap out on them and they won't know the difference. Oh, they'll be able to tell something is off, but at that age they're grateful to have anything. They won't join the dots until years down the line, and by that point there's a million other reasons your relationship with them is strained, so the resentment will be left to fester unspoken. It's consequence free, if you think about it.

Off-brand Lego. :argh:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Guavanaut posted:

The Death of Stalin did that well.

Chernobyl too.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Got a Celebrations advent calendar and after a strong start (Maltesers) the following three days have all been Bounty. Someone is having a laugh at my expense and we need an inquest.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Oh gently caress oh poo poo

https://twitter.com/DailyMirror/status/1334909832931885057?s=19

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

Careful on this volume on this one, as it's stupidly loud but

https://twitter.com/HammerzOliver/status/1335244473069088774

I am not even remotely loving surprised

Oh god please kick the fans out again.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Communist Thoughts posted:

JK has a real toilet thing huh

harry potter 2 mainly takes place in a toilet

Thinking about it, almost all of the books have at least one major scene/fight that takes place in a toilet. :magemage:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

OwlFancier posted:

A major plot point in the second book is everyone has to go to the girl's bathroom because the final boss made his evil lair under it.

They also fight off a large, male invader in the girls' bathroom in the first one. The plot thickens.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

it's a mea culpa on me, I only associate the SS with the lightning SS logo because I don't look into that poo poo further than that

Did you not see the Mitchell and Webb sketch?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Ednamamame posted:

Sorry to have to reveal my Harry Potter knowledge (I was young!) but the viral post lied to you. The mistake turned her into a cat person, so Hermoine was freaking out about spending the rest of her life as a furry.

To be fair I think it's conflating two different examples - in Chamber of Secrets she's upset about being stuck in a cat body, and in Deathly Hallows they get her pronouns correct when she's biologically male after becoming Harry.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

On the one hand I'm glad my workplace doesn't have such a transparently cynical system in place to boost compliance. On the other hand I want free stuff.

We very occasionally get small vouchers, but it's entirely at your manager's discretion and barely ever happens.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Comrade Fakename posted:

Isn't "a voucher thingy you could spend anywhere" just money?

I imagine "spend anywhere" means "spend at any sufficiently large chain" so it's still broken money.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

You can buy a 4GB Walkman in 2020? :psyduck:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I'm that guy who loves whiskey but not enough to be able to tell the difference between pretty much any of them other than JD. So I mostly just drink Glenfiddich because it does the job.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Scan while you shop is the way to go folks. You bag it all up as you go around the supermarket and there’s never any real queues, and it saves an absurd amount of time.

I did that in Co-Op and hated it. I'm conditioned to feel like a criminal if I can't physically show a person/machine that I haven't got anything in my bag that I haven't paid it.

It's also all done via an app so you end up standing in the middle of the aisle going through the payment instead of going to a designated checkout which is awkward as hell.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

big scary monsters posted:

I feel like there was a year or two where Netflix and to a lesser extent Amazon Prime Video were pretty OK and worth the money (especially if you had a Prime subscription anyway). Then other players caught up, the licensing deals dried up and now you have one or two flagship shows you might actually want to see split across eight different platforms and endless crap that isn't worth your time or money.

Meanwhile The Piratebay has stayed rock solid in its comprehensive media offerings and unbeatable subscription price. (This is the cue for some Usenet-in-2020 greybeard to extoll its pedigree and advantages).

Yeah I really miss the two year period where every UK and US channel shoved their entire back catalogue onto Netflix along with most films.

I'm currently on Prime, Netflix, Sky On Demand/Cinema and Disney+ and still find a lot of the stuff I actually want to watch isn't available without paying extra.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

My flat barely has room for our regular food and supplies. The idea of being able to horde enough food and bog roll to make any noticeable difference is an impossibility, which I expect is true of the vast majority of people outside of very rural areas.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Cerv posted:

Which looking at the calendar was exactly a year ago, but somehow doesn’t feel at all really like that.

Christ, that's an upsetting thought.

I can still remember my heart dropping through the floor when that exit poll came through.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Arzachel posted:

This is very unsettling.

The breast options are small, default and big.

What the gently caress is a default breast.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Necrothatcher posted:

to you at least

It's the football hooligan Nazi conundrum all over again. :colbert:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

loving hell, there's not even a vague suggestion that it could have been unclear, misheard or misinterpreted.

Can't win in 2024 if we don't have the white supremesist vote! :eng101:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Necrothatcher posted:

This Zoom call is a no-win situation. Don't do it. Whatever you do will inevitably a) piss off your sister b) confuse your niece c) make you feel like poo poo.

Yeah this seems like a trap. I'm guessing your sister wants it to happen so she has an easy to swallow answer and drops it there, whereas refusing to answer will just make her more curious. Like when my dad wouldn't let me watch Robocop.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Turkey leg off the bone is great. Breast not so much.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I wonder how late Johnson will leave reversing the Christmas rule. Really it's too late now to avoid a huge backlash but he does love half-heartedly doing what scientists tell him to do weeks after the fact.

I'm betting we're told on the evening of the 22nd that Christmas is, in fact, cancelled - leaving no time for anyone to change their plans and get food in.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Payndz posted:

Anyone come up with a Brexit gently caress-Up Apologist Bingo card yet? I can already imagine "Teething troubles", "We're in this for the long term", "If the EU had..." and "If the EU hadn't...", " But the pandemic!", "Nobody could have predicted..." and the centre square, "At least we have ARE SOVRINTY".

Also "It's Corbyn's fault" on there for some reason.

I'm predicting a lot of "if Jiminy Crumbles hadn't blocked Theresa May's brilliant deal which I was also firmly against this wouldn't have happened."

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

https://twitter.com/OwenJones84/status/1338825623473680385?s=19

Curious. It's almost like this was her goal all along. :iiam:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Jakabite posted:

Noooo not the case with the balsamic at all! You shouldn't use too much so you still get that nice earthy richness from the sprouts. Why you'd cover the taste of one of the best vegetables I have no idea.

Scratch that, reverse it. Don't serve sprouts unless you can cover the taste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I hated brocoli growing up but generally like it these days. It's very versitile, unlike cauliflower which is only tolerable when baked in a puddle of cheese (and that dish ruins the cheese more than it enhances the cauliflower).