Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

SpicePro posted:

I went to the dentist in August because I figured I'd get a checkup while I could because who knows how long this thing will go on for, so I went private which turned out to be £30 which I think is £3 more than the NHS? That being said if I had needed actual work done that would probably have been a different story than the one I am telling now.

I'm on universal credit, so that's £30 more than the NHS, or half my monthly food budget

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

If you want a fun fantasy skirmish game for low investment, I would recommend Frostgrave. The book is available cheaply as a PDF, and you can use any miniatures you like.

Each player is a wizard + squad of minions heading into a destroyed city to loot it for magic treasure. Sometimes a wandering monster will turn up and wreak havoc on the battlefield.

It has a fun meta game between skirmishes where you use your loot to upgrade your wizard's hideout and hire better minions.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Maybe just ignore the resident racist, or at least stop quoting them for the benefit of those of us with the sense to do so.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

This certainly makes a change from centrist concern-trolling

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

#notallheadhunters

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Great news about the fudge business Camrath! My lack of recent orders is only due to the grim state of my finances

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

So what's the deal with the NIP suspending their diversity and inclusion officer?

Seems bad

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Rumda posted:

I posted tweets about it above as one of the trans people suspended for talking about the party leader being against no platforming Nazis and TERFs.

The apology tweet that you mentioned also seems to have been deleted. If you don't mind talking about it, what were the contents of the deleted tweets? I looked through a few discussion threads and couldn't find screenshots.

Please don't take this as me not believing you BTW. I've mentioned the NIP to a few friends and if they now need to be warned off them I'd like to be able to provide some details.

Tarnop fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Dec 13, 2020

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I will add to the general sentiment of this being a very unfair situation to put you in.

I think the only moral answer is to teach her the truth. Mushroom Santa

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

If you welcome mushroom santa into your life you'll see a whole lot more than talking carrots

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Jakabite posted:

Noooo not the case with the balsamic at all! You shouldn't use too much so you still get that nice earthy richness from the sprouts. Why you'd cover the taste of one of the best vegetables I have no idea.

It's because they taste like farts

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Convex posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/dec/15/uk-rules-for-christmas-could-be-reviewed-as-coronavirus-cases-surge

I mean it's better than nothing, although I wonder if people will actually go along with it.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Cauliflower is a good absorber of curry flavours

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

If they change it to 2 households from 3, my main challenge is to sound sad and not too eager when I volunteer to be the odd one out

Guavanaut posted:

re: Sprouts and genetics etc., a lot of people remember hating sprouts as a child but wouldn't hate them now because they've bred them to taste a lot less like internet cat drugs than 30 years ago.

I do try to give things another chance every few years. I remind myself that I wouldn't have discovered that I love rhubarb if I didn't retry stuff that I disliked

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

At the risk of stealing Jose's job... Lol

https://twitter.com/joncstone/status/1340325089217294337

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Lest we forget, since this is when it all really went to complete poo poo

https://twitter.com/Keir_Starmer/status/1294885867321004032

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I'm sure this new strain will bode well for Brexit and the willingness of other nations to allow anyone or anything to come from Plague Island.

It won't make a difference because it's bullshit. Peston is on twitter now talking about how the new strain spreads faster between kids. So a new strain comes along just in time to give them a perfect excuse to u-turn on Christmas and a perfect excuse to say they were right to keep schools open but they should stay closed in the new year.

It's like the genetically engineered bio weapon conspiracy theory except this one was made by a PR firm.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I texted my mum to commiserate over her plans being hosed up, and received a full-throated defense of the government in response. I'm OK with a small christmas .

Noxville posted:

Currently thinking about how some London schools wanted to finish term 1 (one) single solitary week early as COVID transmission was spiralling and were instead met with legal action by the government.

Oh did you not hear? Schools and daycare stay open in tier 4

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

ConanThe3rd posted:

So when you say full throated does that mean with racial/social epithets and everything?

"Other countries have made last minute changes too, it's worse in Germany and Italy, you always blame the government but they're doing their best"

It would be easy to reply but the years have taught me it wouldn't be worth it.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

spiderbot posted:

Ugggh my mum wants me to leave London tonight and drive across the country so I can stay with her over Xmas. I feel really bad about not going, but even apart from the virus everyone else will have the same idea so it'll be carnage on the roads.

London is currently T3, so if she cares about following the rules you can't do this

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I love the idea that correctly apportioning blame doesn't come with implicit lessons, like "stop voting for people who went to posh schools"

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Help I'm on twitter how do I get off this ride

https://twitter.com/Mr_Considerate/status/1340371380920078338

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

peanut- posted:

As awful as all this is it is very funny to me that arch-populist Boris Johnson has had to stand in front of the nation and cancel Christmas.

I'm genuinely looking forward to tomorrow's headlines

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

If you accept the premise that the government has been treating this as a PR problem, then their contact tracing effort makes a lot more sense.

It allowed them to funnel money to Serco and pals (again) while giving them a source of statistical data that they could use at a time when people were starting to realise that maybe keeping open plan offices, meat packing plants, and other high density workplaces open was a bad idea. "Our contact tracers have found that most transmission occurs in [place we were going to close anyway] and a negligible amount in workplaces."

It won't surprise me in the slightest if at some point in the future we find that there was an internal policy to avoid tracing workplace contacts, because they're already covered by the "if someone you work with tests positive then self isolate" rules.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Red hot live abstention

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

They're doing a free game every day and most of them have been pretty decent. This is probably the best so far though.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Lol travel ban is EU-wide now. hosed it.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Private Speech posted:

It says this tweet is unavailable when clicking on the "source".

Yeah sorry about that. It was the ITV political editor but he's deleted it now.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Julio Cruz posted:

the is (one of the) the loving problem(s) with journalism in this country, right here

he gets asked a question and clearly doesn't answer it, but instead of the journo saying "er actually you didn't answer the question, what the gently caress" they just meekly sit down and shut up

and later it gets posted to twitter where all the libs can crow about how Boris really got dunked on this time and will surely be facing consequences, just any day now

e: catte

Tarnop fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Dec 21, 2020

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I suspect that if the EU had been informed of this through diplomatic channels as new information emerged, a joint response could have been formulated. Maybe we could have even offered to help other countries get up to speed on tracking the spread.

But instead we've spent 4 years pissing down diplomatic channels, and yelling gently caress you we're the best. And when there actually does turn out to be something we're the best at, we beat our chests about how great we are instead of using it to help. No wonder they took the first chance they got to pull up the drawbridge.

e: catte

Tarnop fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Dec 22, 2020

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Jakabite posted:

He just admitted that though! That’s the weird thing

It's our old friend the politically convenient new strain of the virus!

quote:

The old tiering system is not enough to control the new strain of the virus, the health secretary said.
Hancock said “We know that the three-tiered system worked to control the old variant and is working now in large parts of the country especially in northern England.

“But we also know that Tier 3 is not enough to control the new variant. This is not our hypothesis, it is a fact and we have seen it on the ground.

“We’ve seen case rates rise in some of the places close to where the current Tier 4 restrictions are in places like East Anglia where we are seeing a significant number of the new variant and we’ve seen case rates rise sharply.

“It is therefore necessary to put more of the East and South East of England into Tier 4.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Pictured: Tier 3 containing the virus

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

We're at the same levels of covid patient hospitalisation as April, so yes pretty drat near

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Get ready to hear lots of this

quote:

Hancock stresses there is a “personal responsibility” for the public and them minimising contact over the Christmas period.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Noxville posted:

Tier 3 has actually been pretty effective in West Yorkshire at least, every area is now under 170 cases per 100,000, some significantly so. Even Bradford which was at over 600 mid-November is at 163 as of last week. It’s only failed in how slow the government has been at reacting to changes (most specifically in London and the South East)

Half of the period you're referring to wasn't Tier 3 restrictions, it was November lockdown which is the small downward slope on that graph I posted. As soon as they stop using the word lockdown and go back to numbered tiers, fewer people take it seriously.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

happyhippy posted:

And its now NOT the UK variant.
Its NOW the SOUTH AFRICAN variant.
Got it!

This is another variant altogether. They've only tracked 2 cases of it in the UK

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I don't know if it's the case with New Vegas, but every other Bethesda RPG has a fan-made patch on PC because eventually Bethesda just give up trying to fix bugs

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Here is the BBC's mealy-mouthed response to complaints about giving JK Rowling a Best Up and Coming Transphobe award

quote:

Thank you for getting in touch about our article 'The winners: The 2020 Russell Prize for best writing' (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-55350905).

Amol Rajan repeatedly made clear he was not taking a view on the subject of JK Rowling’s essay and acknowledged the severity of offence that some people had taken to what she’d written.

He did not detract from that when he objectively praised the writing style, her honesty in talking about her own experiences of domestic and sexual abuse, and the bravery required to express a viewpoint knowing it will lead to further online abuse.

Thank you once again for getting in touch.

If you complained, don't forget to keep escalating until it gets to Ofcom

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

The Question IRL posted:

So they were after the ability to forcibly exile MP's.

Oh hey, me too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

The idea that Labour have to vote for this because it's better than no deal is ridiculous. The government has a huge majority so if the deal fails it's because they couldn't bring their own MPs on side. This frees the opposition to vote on principle.

If it's a bad deal they should explain why and vote against. Starmer has written for every right-wing rag out there since he became leader, so he has the platform. The trouble is he's more interested in avoiding bad headlines than building a position from which to hold the government to account.