Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Smart meters as a technology are a good thing, it's just the fact that privatisation has messed up the deployment of them because different companies used different technologies which weren't compatible for the first round, and then they've dragged their heels to bring out the newer ones which do actually work together (sometimes).

I do find the conspiracy theory that "smart meters will allow energy companies to charge you more" funny though. Incorrect bills from estimated reads create significantly more work and cost more money for energy companies, which is then passed on to the customer to offset that loss. I know a lot of people here seem to give reads every month and are responsible about it but unfortunately the vast majority of people are utterly poo poo with it and never submit reads, then complain when their estimates are wildly inaccurate.

As someone who works in an energy company, it's all dumb and there is literally no reason for this industry to be privatised. Everyone needs energy, it's just same poo poo different bucket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/peterwalker99/status/1338445662590029829?s=20

lol what a loving moron

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
My family has always had goose. It's the OG xmas bird and it is incredible, like a meatier duck. And the skin... oh my god the skin.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Cooked a goose for the first time yesterday for just me and the gf. I have one every year with the family but this is the first year doing it myself and it was surprisingly straightforward to do.

It's so absolutely chocked full of fat that the skin pretty much deep fries itself and the meat stays moist even if you don't get the timings spot on. That salty, crispy skin is so good it melts in your mouth. And then using the same fat for the roasties is just god tier.

A++ would do again.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Noxville posted:

Same, we followed Gordon Ramsey’s recipe https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/gordons-christmas-roast-goose and it was delicious. We asked for a 10lb goose as it’s pretty much the smallest they sold but what we ended up getting was 14lb and I had to hack the tail off just to get it fit in the oven. Got about a litre of goose fat which will make delicious roasties for the rest of the year

It really is insane how much fat you get from it.