Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Deptfordx posted:

I'm afraid so, if you weren't eligible for the first 2, you won't be for this one. :(

But more importantly, nobody is getting away with something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

feedmegin posted:

what even are clothes

Things to drape on your visible top half, but only while the webcam is on.

Seconding Uniqlo, great for everything except jeans, because there are more leg types than regular thin, skinny, slim and ultra skinny :colbert:

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Motion smoothing? I have never heard of that!
I know those 3D photos people post on Facebook sometimes make me feel nauseous.

I think it's the thing that makes everything look like a soap. Has something to do with high frame rates.

I saw someone arguing that we should stop living in the past regarding frame rates, and embrace the new look. To which I say, films are meant to look cinematic. It's like arguing that theatrical lighting is heightened and stylised, and would be better if it was naturalistic. It wouldn't (unless that's the effect you're going for).

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

The whole teeth and eyes thing is weird, and prevalent. Here in NL I can add optional (commerical) dental insurance to my otherwise comprehensive government-mandated health cover, but it's something stupid like €200 in premiums a year, and the max they'll ever pay out is €300. I'd rather spend the money on a Waterpik!

My wife has the super-fancy top-up insurance (mainly to get extra physio visits paid for), and she gets €75 every two years towards a pair of glasses. This wouldn't really help if we couldn't afford the €650 lenses she needs for her crazy complicated eyes. Guess she would just have to suffer unsuitable glasses then!

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Guavanaut posted:

A man next to you screams Donald Trump speeches constantly.

(From January) Yeah...looks like...

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

ThomasPaine posted:

Please tell me how to do this.

My personal favourite is when someone decides to fully recline the seat in the middle of the meal service, jolting half the contents of my tray into my lap. And then I have to recline a touch to give myself any room to actually eat, pissing off the person behind. There surely has to be a way of laying out a cabin that makes it way more comfortable without sacrificing too much occupancy. Airlines barely make anything on economy class anyway.

Yeah, I'm not fussed about reclining myself, but I'll join in if everyone's doing it at Designated Sleeping Time (although I often disagree with the airline on when that should be, based on the time zone of arrival). But at other times, just don't.

I was once in the middle bit behind a very small child (maybe 4?), whose mother was across the aisle from him. He was so small his legs barely left the seat cushion. The mother insisted on reclining his seat for him as soon as we were at altitude, and the only relief I got for the whole flight home from Shanghai was when the cabin crew made her straighten it up for meal times.

E: I think that was the time I recognised the cabin crew from the flight over, and they were confused why I was on my way home 36 hours later. Like "I know why we're doing that, but..."

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Communist Thoughts posted:

I like the hobby stuff but the rules change too frequently so you're always left with a dud army within a year.

:dudsmile: :dudsmile: :dudsmile:

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

ThomasPaine posted:

TIL that Americans can't send money directly bank to bank without paying fees for wire transfer and often still pay rent by literally handing the landlord a cheque. Wow. How is this this most powerful country on the planet again? You'd think the US would if nothing else have perfected the easy movement of capital.

When they were deliberately breaking the US Post Office in the run-up to the election, I saw someone saying they were worried because they'd posted their rent check (sic) to their landlord in another state, and might get in trouble if it was late. I thought it was a joke, but then it wasn't.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

WhatEvil posted:

Oh and there's a weird unequivalence of debit and credit cards - most stuff like online payments is credit cards only. Similarly for weird random stuff like contactless parking meters - if you don't have a credit card you literally can't pay for some things.

The UK is fairly unusual (in the countries I know about) in having debit cards work like credit cards (e.g. you can use the 16-digit number on your Visa Debit to buy things from any site that takes Visa). Debit cards over here are different and more limited in what they can do.

This has an unfortunate side effect: most Dutch shops, even the biggest supermarkets, don't take credit cards, or things that function like credit cards (including UK debit cards), because they don't want to pay the processing fees - they only accept local debit cards, or ones from neighbouring countries that work the same. So when UK friends and family visit, we tell them to bring cash because none of their cards will work, and they laugh and say they're sure they will. Then we visit a cash point with them.

The giant MasterCard advert at Schiphol baggage claim doesn't help...

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

SpicePro posted:

Is it not just The Netherlands which is unusual in this respect? I've never encountered this problem before anywhere else in Europe that I've been to.

I think it is, yes. Germany is famous for not liking cards and loving cash (hence the 500 Euro note), but even there I've paid in regular supermarkets with a Mastercard. There just seems to be a general agreement among Dutch shops that credit cards are silly.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Borrovan posted:

I got a card blocked the other day whilst doing some Christmas shopping online, when I spoke to them on the phone they were saying yeah, everyone's doing their Christmas shopping atm so most people are making a bunch of unusual transactions

Funny definition of "unusual" there

From the same school as "we are experiencing unusually high call volumes" every single time you call.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I wonder how much overlap there is between people who claim they can define who is and isn't Jewish and people who claim they can define who's male and who's female? I'm guessing it's pretty close to 100%.

"We can always tell" :rolleyes:

Purple Prince posted:

As a less-than-wealthy expat, gently caress this. The changes to finances in the UK post Brexit make it uncertain whether I will even have access to my savings without getting a British person to do my banking for me post-Brexit, to the point I’m tempted to move my money out of the UK and into a foreign GBP bank account.

As for returning, imagine I’m Elsa in Frozen singing “I’m never going back / The past is in the past”.

E: a real victory for Global Britain as I know a ton of professionals both young and old leaving the UK specifically because of Brexit.

My Co-op account is going bye-bye on the 31st. Not sure about the others yet. Woohoo Brexit!

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Definitely check for actual causes. I often get emails from customers complaining about "nuisance tripping" of an RCBO that we "need to fix". 9 times of of 10 it's an actual fault in the field wiring that's very much Not Our Problem. But no, it's obviously a "nuisance" trip, because it was fine before and now it isn't!

They never even check on the helpful error display whether it was overcurrent or RCD.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

While we're chatting about electricity, I just discovered this guy on Youtube, who seems like he should be annoying but he's actually quite fun.

Learn all about US power! (and he talks about UK power right at the end)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMmUoZh3Hq4

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

Harry Potter And The Toilet

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

To reaffirm what's been said, Brexit has de jure happened already, the EU now has 27 members and is proceeding on that basis. It will de facto happen in 26 days, after Johnson rejected the no-brainer extension.

Because rules are made up by humans, it is just barely conceivable that during the transition period, an extremely pro-EU UK gov with a large majority and a clear backing from the people could have persuaded the EU to pretend that this year never happened, and slide us back in with some legal sleight of hand. But given the actual government we have, they want this over asap.

Previously I've talked about the two options that are left being no deal, and a very thin deal that keeps the planes flying and the medicines flowing and not much else. I'm not totally clear how the latter will work, considering the old deadline for a deal was mid-October (?) to give the members time to ratify it. I imagine that will necessarily make it even thinner.

Interesting idea that they could just throw in the towel and go "fine, EEA-like" - obviously that goes against the entire point of Brexit for many, but it would be too late to do anything about it. But while the concept of EEA-like is ready made, I'm not sure there's time to turn it around in practice. So my prediction is still no deal, or a thin deal that gets trumpeted by the press as "See? It's all fine, project fear", but leaning more towards no deal because the remaining sticking points (esp level playing field) are still ones that Johnson and co claim to be dealbreakers.

Bobstar fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Dec 6, 2020

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Regarde Aduck posted:

How would 'no deal' be trumpeted by the press as 'fine'?

It's going to be chaos.

Added comma for clarity. The "wafer thin deal" would be trumpeted as fine, because it is a deal, therefore anyone who warned about no deal was a scaremongering remoaner. This, even though the thin deal would be the same as no deal for many sectors.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

namesake posted:

Leavers keep not changing their mind because everything that has happened has happened on tv. The various international connections that impact their lives will only become apparent once severed, even if it's lovely bourgie concerns like they can't get European labour for cheap any more.

I think the tweet guy is right about two things:

- Remainers did keep saying "ok but this time they'll surely realise their folly" at every key event along the way

- Whatever happens in January and thereafter, I don't think most leavers will "turn against Brexit", i.e. get angry about Brexit itself, and regret their choice

But I think he's wrong to characterise the upcoming end of the transition period as just another key event along the way. It is the culmination of the whole project, the effective implementation of the UK leaving the EU. It is different in nature and in scale from any milestone we've seen so far. This is the one where it's reasonable to say "it's different".

But as I say, I don't think it'll make much difference to people's views. Nothing short of a line item on people's payslips called "Economic cost of Brexit deduction" would do that, and even then they'd blame the EU.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

There isn't a positive case for the EU though. The EU wasn't offering anything new, it was entirely about losing access to things that at the time the UK had access to.

I suppose the government, if it wanted to, could have said they would spend more money if remain won, but the question then becomes why not spend it anyway? Also lol @ cameron spending money.

I guess this is why, generally, governments don't call referenda on changing the status quo when they support the status quo. Like, it's normally to show "public support" for something they want to change.

Then again, PF Cameron called/allowed 3 on subjects where he supported the status quo, so I guess he thought he was on a roll.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

vaguely posted:

The company I work for is currently moving as much of its UK warehouse stock over to Europe as it can manage before the end of the year, because it would lose more business from shipping delays UK>ROW than it will the other way when the border gets hosed on Jan 1st. Not doxxing myself to say what industry I'm in but this is not a good sign for UK supply chains.

No idea what else they're planning, I'm not high enough up to hear about that :v:

I'm the lone outpost dude in the northern EU, while my boss and colleagues are all in London. I already started doing some repairs in my office (usually they go to London) while London people were on furlough, I might have a bunch more to do if shipping stuff to London becomes bogged down.

Even in the before-time, repairs from Norway would sometimes get stuck at Heathrow for no discernible reason other than "customs". And they're in the EEA and Schengen*, not the angry quitter section...

*but crucially not the customs union, as evidenced by the amusing 3-zone arrivals system at their airports: national, international, and "you can come in, but we're not sure about your stuff".

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Marmaduke! posted:

Reminds me when I started my job, we had a real problem with terrible managers across the company. The solution was that they came up with a new scheme where people could nominate their managers for an award. Problem solved?

And presumably "not nominating managers for an award to show your displeasure" works just as well as not voting, likewise?

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

This just popped up from the Independent, answers my question from yesterday about time to sign off the deal:

quote:

Struggling Brexit trade negotiations between the EU and UK will not continue past Wednesday, Michel Barnier has said.
The EU’s chief negotiator told MEPs in a closed meeting on Monday morning that talks were now in their “endgame” and would need to be wrapped up in the coming days.
The deadline comes ahead of a summit of the 27 EU prime ministers and presidents in Brussels on Thursday. The meeting is widely seen as the last formal opportunity for the EU leaders to sign off a deal.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

sinky posted:

I'm expecting this meeting to result in an actual wall in the Irish sea

https://twitter.com/MarosSefcovic/status/1335856574745751552?s=20

https://twitter.com/oxygenthiefyeah/status/1335921376537014275?s=21

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Glad to hear the fudge business is booming. My wife should have ordered me some for Christmas (aka famous last fudge before we have to pay import duties on it, or something :( )

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Been listening to Pod episode 60 today. Good stuff, though the pod needs to be shorter, or you need to move my office further away.

Which of our illustrious posters has the Scottish accent and was ranting about debt? Not David. I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Miftan posted:

That's James. Pretty sure he rarely if ever reads the thread now but he's our resident Smart Understander and overall excellent person. You can read more in this twitter thread he did:

Thanks, that's a Twitter follow I missed when we thought the forums were about to vanish (makes sense if he doesn't post here much).

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

The Question IRL posted:

Also Amazon has been sending emails to Irish customers yesterday saying that prices will be effected for people in Ireland ordering stuff from Amazon.co.uk.

Got that same email yesterday. "Returning stuff that's not broken? Hope you like customs fees"

Only mildly annoying because UK is a handy component in the Amazon game, where for example UK and NL have it, DE doesn't, FR has it but twice the price, and it ships from Germany anyway.

But then I'm trying to use them less, so meh

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

goddamnedtwisto posted:

One of the early DVD postal rental services did actually have a disposable DVD system, where the disk would stop working after a certain number of plays, worked out IIRC.

e: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flexplay I recalled half-correctly - it self destructed within 48 hours of exposure to air, whether or not you played it

That guy I linked the other day did a handy explainer of them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccneE_gkSAs

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

CSM posted:

Are people in this thread (and the UK in general) just resigned to brexit? Because there seems to be almost no discussion here, with you guys only days/weeks away from going off a cliff.

Are there any protests in the UK, is there any political opposition left? Because even Labour would now vote for brexit?

Brexit happened 10 months ago. This is just the Wile E Coyote hanging in the air part*

The time period for negotiating a deal after 31 Jan this year wasn't really long enough even with the available extensions (not taken), but would have been manageable with a good faith competent government. 11 months with bad faith time wasters and fundamentally incompatible demands (which have been predictable since 2016) was never going to work.

So there's not really anything left to protest.

*E: This may sound pedantic, as of course it's only de facto happening in 3 weeks, but up until 31 Jan this year, the UK gov could at any point have said "whoopsy, take it all back, Article 50 is cancelled, please don't hate us". They were never going to do that of course, but it's something that a protestor could demand - an on-paper very simple way to STOP BREXIT! Now that is impossible.

Bobstar fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Dec 10, 2020

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Bobby Deluxe posted:

But he still voted conservative, because that was the party he agreed with in principle, despite acknowledging that the leadership of successive governments were not working towards the goals he apparently agreed with.

I think people like this account for a scarily large proportion of votes :(

Also, is he white European, Emirati, or south-east Asian? Because those three groups have quite different experiences growing up in the UAE I think.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

He disagreed with every real world conservative government though, especially Osborne and Cameron who he freely admitted were corrupt and absolutely hammering the sick and vulnerable.

My glasses are smudged, I read this as "hammer and sickling the vulnerable" which would be much better!

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

kingturnip posted:

This relies on the main people in Europe not being sick to death of Boris and the Tories being a bunch of cunts all the time.
I wouldn't put money on that at the best of times.

It occurred to me yesterday that if, somehow, the UK ended up in an EEA-style relationship with the EU, it would smooth over a lot of the upcoming problems... and then the UK would be back in Brussels in January going "so this EEA thing, do you think we could somehow have all the benefits but stop the free movement?" and flinging threats about EEAxit.

So I'm not sure the EU would go for that.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Nobody has (credibly) linked any video game - even Depression Quest - with actual literal crimes against humanity though.

It do agree with you that it's worth treating actual person-to-person communication methods like Whatsapp differently from algorithm-driven Skinner boxes like Facebook though. The former probably isn't feasible to moderate in a free society, the latter absolutely is and definitely should be.

Doesn't Whatsapp get used in a bizarrely Facebook-like way as well though? Vague memory of reading about giant whatsapp groups of people spreading false information, leading to violence or death. The solution being not allowing enormous groups of people who don't know each other.

But I also find that weird about the way some people use Facebook. Before I ditched it, it only contained people I knew in real life (plus one guy from here, and two people who share my name because we added each other in the early days of Facebook). People who I knew, but posted horrible right-wing takes got defriended or unfollowed. So I don't think I had the full political Facebook experience.

Plus, who allows their devices to show them ads?

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Bobby Deluxe posted:

TLDR: They're dickheads, but they want to sound clever. If you point out they're not clever, that's mean and you're mean for making them think about things.

This is true. It ties into their resistance to examine anything as a systemic thing, rather than the actions of individuals (problems bad, causes good etc).

Strangely, it reminds me of a thing my primary school teachers used to say when they wanted silence. It literally translates as "everyone holds their own mouth", and implies that everyone should take responsibility for their own silence (as opposed to shushing others, telling teacher etc), and then their will be silence. May or may not work in a classroom, but it seems analogous to the anti-systemic sentiment, where if every [racist/sexist/...] just stopped, then there would be no more [racism/sexism/...], which definitely doesn't work.

But I think fundamentally, as someone said upthread, it comes down to being comfortable in the current system, or at least comfortable enough that they don't want to rock the boat.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I find a lot of Guardian lib thinking is based around infantalising themselves, or falling back on the sort of rules kids learn to stop them fighting. "The grownups are back in the room," "agree to disagree," "be nice," "find a middle ground" etc.

It would not surprise me at all to find out that their parents raised them to be obediant and not question anything, which is why it scares them at such a fundamental level when people on twitter try to get them to think for themselves.

Also, "it doesn't matter who started it".

Quietly sitting, being enlightened and non-racist, waiting for everyone else to catch up. "I've done my bit"

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Oh good, revisionism - the problem was the Brown called her a bigot, not that he backtracked. Of course it was. Got to keep the bigots onside.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Nutapii posted:

Interesting timing for the BBC to put together a "stories" piece, effectively an opinion column with nothing indicating it wasn't news, of a contact tracer, and how very disappointed she is in public compliance, and how while contract tracing wasn't the best and the politicians weren't compliant it's the public who have been disgraceful. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/stories-55280321

It's almost as if people act on leadership direction! But as a nurse, and absolutely not along with three of her anonymous friends an NHS comms piece, she knows it's just that we're all selfish.

I was just reading that. My mind went to "how strange, I atomised and individualised society, and now expect people to behave as a society? I am very intelligent" for the Tories. But yes, also blaming the public.

At least they're leaving voicemails, I was expecting it to say they weren't allowed for "data protection", and act surprised that people were ignoring unknown numbers that don't leave one.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Jose posted:

well who could have foreseen this. The home office said this paper wasn't in the public interest replying to a FoI request from the independent :thunk:

https://twitter.com/miqdaad/status/1338799039333212168?s=20

Oh good, this will shut up those people on Twitter who reply to every mention of Islamophobia with rants about grooming gangs. Glad that's over.

gh0stpinballa posted:

you should probably chill out a bit, it's just a fun time to catch up with friends and fam, a little light in the dark. just say you prefer not to celebrate it why does it need to be a drama.

My reading is that the entire conversation is about why she prefers not to celebrate Christmas.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Jose posted:

loving hell starmer is so poo poo saying schools should stay open still

School closures are wrong while the virus term is ongoing

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

mehall posted:

Christmas is not a secular holiday, but I'll grant it's been co-opted by capitalism in the same way that christianity co-opted Yule (and other pagan celebrations from various parts of Europe) in the first place.

Don't get me wrong, I love christmas, I love the songs, I love the food, I love a lot of stuff to do with it, but it's not secular even if it can be celebrated in that way.

Let's not forget we have a state religion in this country.

Yeah it's a shame we can't have a genuinely secular "winter sucks, let's have lights and food" festival around the shortest day of the year. (Some) Christians would get upset that we were taking the religion out of Christmas, gammons would be angry at PC-woke-ifiying the word Christmas, and it could be off-putting to non-Christian religious people that it still contained many of the same symbols.

Basically Christmas is a huge mess of contrasts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

stev posted:

https://twitter.com/OwenJones84/status/1338825623473680385?s=19

Curious. It's almost like this was her goal all along. :iiam: