Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
?
This poll is closed.
Yes 44 35.20%
No 81 64.80%
Total: 125 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Stravag posted:

Always liked Page's acting in umbrella academy. Really hoping the show doesn't do "well the actor is trans the character is too now" thing where Hollywood likes matching sexual identity or preference to the actual actor for whatever reason.

I thought the thing in Hollywood was to make sure the actor matched the role. See for example all the people that got mad that Benedict Cumberbatch played Khan even though Ricardo Montalban wasn't a Sikh either.

There were also people angry that the actor playing Sulu is of Korean descent and not Japanese descent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Star Trek can be weirdly inconsistent. On DS9 Bashir is culturally Muslim and when his parents showed up the show went out of their way to find a Muslim actress which were not common at the time, but found a good fit from a community theater.

Then on Enterprise Hoshi was played by a Korean actor. Japanese and Koreans are not fungible dang it, just rewrite the character to switch the hometown. Although the biggest one was Patrick Stewart playing a Frenchman, I think the producers were so thankful they talked Roddenberry into accepting Picard after an exhausting casting process that they didn't bother fighting over his ancestry no longer making sense.

I always attributed that to the eventual victory of the British over the French.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Richard Pryor's birthday was December 1st. Why do I bring this up? Because he served in the Army from 1958 to 1960.

"Pryor served in the U.S. Army from 1958 to 1960, but spent virtually the entire stint in an army prison. According to a 1999 profile about Pryor in The New Yorker, Pryor was incarcerated for an incident that occurred while he was stationed in West Germany. Angered that a white soldier was overly amused at the racially charged scenes of Douglas Sirk's film Imitation of Life, Pryor and several other black soldiers beat and stabbed him, although not fatally. "

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

So when this thing wanders into traffic and is run over, you can be charged with vehicular manslaughter.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Flying_Crab posted:

For cyclists it is generally much more dangerous to ride in the parking lane or close to it, and the law in many (most?) places allows cyclists to use the full lane just like any motor vehicle. Weaving in and out or in the door zone is frequently deadly to cyclists, they're doing it for a reason. But on the other hand they should make an effort to let you pass when it's safe to do so.

You should just accept that riding a bicycle isn't compatible with American roads instead of trying to force the issue.

You sound like a open carry advocate.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Woofer posted:

I might end my t-break to celebrate if I’m not getting trolled.

Call me if they pass this with a Dem senate.

Otherwise it's just performative.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I think they meant that the chuds don't think they're killing humans. They think they're killing subhumans. The second "killing" was just missing.

You realize that calling them chud's is dehumanizing them right?

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

But why is that bad, given the context of the characterization? Is dehumanization inherently bad, or only in the context of bigotry?

Yes, it's inherently bad.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Well, I guess we can't leave then.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

MazelTovCocktail posted:

https://twitter.com/laraseligman/status/1336096580554928128?s=21

Am I nuts or does he look like Andre Braugr (sp), from that Brooklyn show and Homicide?

He was in command of the Isis response when I was in Kuwait/Iraq in 14/15.

Can't say that I have anything more to add than that.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

not caring here posted:

Well I'll be hosed.

Then, well, if you don't give a poo poo about getting sued and potentially scaring off every other drug manufacturer in the future, then yes I guess you could stand up your own manufacturing and do whatever you want.

Kind of like when the military went looking for new uniforms at one stage, literally stole one company's pattern (I think it was Crye), and then presented it to every other uniform manufacturer to make for cheaper and to not pay royalties, but no one wanted to go down that road.

Technically OCP is a slightly older version of multicam that was submitted to the original trials in the early 2000s.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

That Works posted:

Trump actually brought him out at a rally in Ohio where he's from and famous to announce that he was giving him the medal of freedom. But now when he actually has to give it to him he doesn't care

Dan Gable's from Iowa.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Raised Catholic, quit when the priest in Enterprise, AL ran off with a parishioner in 2004. That was the final straw for me. Occasionally I listen to Catholic Radio on the way to work and the only things they are worried about are abortion, sex outside of marriage, gay people, and the Church's Authority. Nothing about any of the outreach to people who need help. It's not a religion, it's a club.

I will say that I prefer Catholicism to evangelical protestantism in that at least Catholics acknowledge how lovely people are, can feel guilt, and don't act smug and "saved" because they said the right magic words about Jesus.

But I'm not giving more money to an organization that has to pay out hundreds of millions of dollars because they actively covered up sexual abuse perpetrated by the clergy.

Mandatory when discussing religion in America:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALFpRJKnK2U

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Current Event:

Tiny Lister died.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Bored As gently caress posted:

Could we stop stop giving a poo poo about Anwar al Awlaki, who was in Al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula, who was actively plotting attacks in America, actively working to inspire jihadis in America, who inspired the Fort Hood shooter and communicated with him, and who was AQAP's #3?

Yeah, he was an American citizen. But any capture operation to get him would've been fraught with danger for any SOF who went for him, and he likely would've killed himself before allowing himself to be captured anyway. Even if ee did capture him, any trial would've just been his opportunity to become a symbol and a martyr for potential jihadis to look up to, and the trial would be giving him a megaphone. was actively waging war against the U.S. with a foreign terrorist group. If AQ was a country, Awlaki would've been guilty of treason. Traitors can get hosed.

We have no problem killing American or European citizens who join ISIS. Why are we still giving a poo poo about Awlaki?

I have huge issues with the entire drone program, especially "signature strikes" where they don't even know who exactly they're targeting, but Awlaki was a known traitorous piece of poo poo.

He was 16 years old you rear end in a top hat.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Abdulrahman Anwar al-Awlaki

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Bored As gently caress posted:

Yeah, I have a problem with that, too. If I remember correctly, that was a second / separate strike.

The father, Anwar al Awlaki, was not 16. You yourself posted the kid's name, dude. Either you were being disingenuous in this post, or you simply forgot the dad's name, or maybe you just skimmed my post.

"disingenuous" is how I would describe your original post.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Since Biden is the President Elect is discussing how much he sucks now a CE?

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Midjack posted:

The thing I really want to hear from Biden is what his plan is for bringing the Mexican Pizza back to Taco Bell.

Biden doesn't like Mexican.

https://www.npr.org/2020/12/13/944791054/on-immigration-activists-demands-may-exceed-biden-realities

Theresa Cardinal Brown, the director of immigration and cross-border policy at the Bipartisan Policy Center and a former senior adviser on immigration in both the Bush and Obama administrations, says the Biden administration must be careful not to unwind Trump's restrictions too quickly before getting its own processing system in place — or it will risk a new surge at the border.

"They can't say, 'Oh, wait, migrants — don't arrive just yet. We're not going to be nasty to you. But don't come for another two months so we can get this in place.' Like, that's not how it works," she said.

The administration can't just stop enforcing immigration laws, Brown said.

PeterCat fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Dec 13, 2020

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

You voted for him.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Hey, names for Transportation Secretary that aren't blatant lobbying from mayors:

https://twitter.com/ClaytonGuse/status/1338262461598806016

P buttigieg was in the running for Secretary of Transportation, I thought.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

, I mean, he's not wrong.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

It's -3 *C outside and there's a foot of snow on the ground. Yes, this is excellent bicycling weather.

Everyone over 50 will do really well with this.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Flying_Crab posted:

I live in Wisconsin dude. I biked to work last winter before the pandemic hit, sure it’s not for everyone but transit or walking is also a thing. I’m not saying you can’t drive if you want, but we shouldn’t subsidize sprawl.

I'm guessing you're a single able bodied man in his 20s or 30s.

Am I close?

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Flying_Crab posted:

Videos of Ansterdam

Nice dodge, you didn't answer my question which leads me to believe I'm right.

I mean, we could go back to living the way my grandmother grew up in the rural midwest. In the winter time, they just didn't go to town, had maybe 3 sets of clothes, and outdoor plumbing.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

https://twitter.com/DanCrenshawTX/status/1339683854290980865?s=20

Everyone’s favorite victim slandering congressman got caught following a $1500 an hour prostitute on Twitter and is claiming he hacked.

So, that's about $25 a minute. Think she prorates? I could spend $50.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

It was amazing watching Spike Lee melt down that white people were ruining the ethnic flavor of his old neighborhood.

He's basically every rich old person ever bitching about the wrong people moving into his neighborhood.

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2014/02/spike-lee-amazing-rant-against-gentrification.html

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

mlmp08 posted:

Am I missing an irony joke here?

A black man talking about gentrification is not the same thing as white flight and segregationists.

He doesn't even live in Brooklyn, he quite literally fled his old neighborhood for a wealthier part of town.

I mean, he talks about how his dad bought a house in Brooklyn in 1968. If it's gentrifying as much as he says, his dad should be able to make out like a bandit if he sells his place.

PeterCat fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Dec 18, 2020

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

mlmp08 posted:

Thank god we have you policing Spike Lee's ability to talk about gentrification because he didn't stay his rear end where he belonged, according to you. And so he has no right to bring up racism and gentrification? Get the gently caress outta here.

Was Simon Cat you, too?

Yes, SimonCat became PeterCat. Nothing gets by you.

"Where he belonged?" He can live wherever he wants, it's just really funny to me that he's complaining about people moving and ruining the neighborhood he grew up in when he didn't stay. He sounds exactly like the old guys I know who complain about Hispanics moving in or black people from Chicago moving in.

He's a comfortable rich man who doesn't like people who aren't like him.

Also, Da Five Bloods was half a good movie. The first half, dealing with black Vietnam vets coming back to Vietnam and dealing with their memories was really interesting. His half-assed remake of the Treasure of the Sierra Madre that made up the second half sucked.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

https://twitter.com/JoeBiden/status/1222691999364657152

From the article:

WP posted:

Rice said Biden will not immediately end the practice of rapidly “expelling” migrants to Mexico, measures implemented by the Trump administration in March, citing public health concerns. The measures allow U.S. agents to wave off normal asylum procedures and promptly return most border-crossers to Mexico, an arrangement Homeland Security officials say is needed to prevent further spread of the coronavirus inside border stations and detention centers.
Similarly, Sullivan told EFE that the administration would not immediately end the Migration Protection Protocols that Biden had promised to terminate on his first day in office. Under those Trump measures, asylum seekers are sent back to Mexico to wait outside U.S. territory — some in squalid tent camps — while their claims are processed in U.S. courts.
Kennji Kizuka, a senior researcher and policy analyst Human Rights First, said migrants in Mexico are struggling to make a living and to protect themselves in high-crime border cities. Human Rights First has tracked at least 1,300 acts of violence against migrants in Mexico, including murder.

Expelling immigrants from the US to contain the spread of Covid in the camps, while adding to the spread of Covid in Mexico.
Also continuing the Trump program of condemning immigrants to a danger fraught existence in Northern Mexico.

https://www.google.com/url?q=https:...FyXCnHN-mSlOuAg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

First Space Force LOR?