Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
?
This poll is closed.
Yes 44 35.20%
No 81 64.80%
Total: 125 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

idgi? Seems as tepid as can be, what's there to hate?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

edit: nevermind I just saw that first pets post. gently caress these clowns.

Grip it and rip it fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Dec 3, 2020

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Woofer posted:

So the party of states’ rights wants scotus to legislate state law?

Cases decided as a matter of state law generally are not supposed to be reviewable by SCOTUS, unless certain aspects of those laws are based off of federal law or the federal constitution. It's one of those legal policies that allows them(SCOTUS) to pass when they want to and take the case up when they say they have to.

I get the feeling they are gonna pass on this one.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Isn't there a bike thread for you to continue this conversation with people who are interested in what you are writing? Why force the issue here? Are you under the impression that this is effective advocacy?

If so allow me to help by clarifying that it is not

What we all need to really be talking about are preventable deaths related to OTC medications. Any attempt to minimize or deflect from these discussions will be met with zealous accusations of complicity and "being too lazy to care"

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Next all they have to do is free everyone in prison on MJ charges

Edit: A metal gear movie could be cool, but I wonder if the critical tone the series takes towards the military industrial complex will be replaced with some sweet military twitch sponsorship crossover promotion.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Flying_Crab posted:

that's kind of like the people who said they voted Trump because BLM protests inconvenienced them.

Truly this nation has two original sins - the enslavement and subsequent apartheid cruelty to Black Americans, and our historic mistreatment of cyclists.

Lol at making the CE events your soapbox for city planning. Why not, I dunno, a city council meeting? Maybe do something actually in your community if these issues effect you so directly?

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

lightpole posted:

Delegitimizing Biden is a really easy way to gain support for blocking anything he proposes. Barring an extreme change in the midterms, absolutely nothing is getting done for the next four years.

You realize the election isn't over and there are runoffs in Georgia going on right now, right?

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Smile!!! Stupid bitch!!!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Can't really tell if that's a net loss or gain for the guy getting honored.

Biden should invite him back for something more substantial. Seems like easy points to score with wherever he's from

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

facialimpediment posted:

Facebook just had a very bad day.

https://twitter.com/JanNWolfe/status/1336756976638959617?s=19

https://twitter.com/KlasfeldReports/status/1336757430022234113?s=19

Pretty obviously coordinated between the feds and the states - they're looking to make facebook spinoff instagram/whatsapp/etc. Not seeing much political SECTION 230!!!1!1!1 nonsense from reading the intros/endings.

The timing of these cases is going to convince all those people that they were right though. Granted they exist in a separate tangential universe to this one so whatever.

StandardVC10 posted:

...wait, we still have antitrust laws?

The chicago school of economic thought basically neutered much of our anti-trust statutes when they became judicial precedent. Information technology companies are very well positioned to take advantage of how anti-trust evaluations are conducted (because many provide free services or create "platforms" within which other services compete) and as such have evaded serious regulation outside a few high profile cases over the past 40 years or so.

Grip it and rip it fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Dec 9, 2020

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

What does your heart tell you?

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
I don't even believe Mayor Pete exists!

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Hell yeah baby gimmie some Biden Bucks I'm broke as poo poo

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Gonna form my own little corporation so I can cash in on occasions like these in he future. There will undoubtedly be more

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Seems like these hypotheticals won't really be relevant to any of our lives, since nearly every american city were planned with car commuters in mind . Even the development of significant future public transportation systems likely won't impact the existing fleet of vehicles and their role in the economy.

I don't really think that self driving cars are "just around the corner" as many people have suggested, but they would also create a pretty sticky widget for designing cities that are less drivable than the status quo

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Next account will be Kramercat

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Nick Soapdish posted:

I am just so very tired and want that motherfucker gone from the public forever

Gonna be waiting a long time, sadly. I've been working most weekends recently and haven't had time to read the national news. It's been kind of alright.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
I'm not sure that the divide between "new" and "old" money is as definite or relevant as it used to be. The rich are quickly realizing that they won't pay much if they throw their cash around and get directly involved in politics, because the voting public are dumb as hell.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Hospital billing departments should be fired into the sun

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Most people can't afford legal services that aren't attached to a major transfer in wealth. Suggesting that your interpretation of the text is a final determination is as disingenuous as the idea that disney can do whatever they want.

With all the media reporting on it, the streaming content of the covid bill will definitely have a chilling effect on streamers, which may ultimately be its value to copyright holders

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Yeah and factually innocent people don't go to jail lol

It seems odd that such a settled aspect of the law would result in it being reported on by multiple outlets. I'm certainly not an expert on copyright stuff. Either way if people are scared then the provision has accomplished something for the stakeholders who demanded it

Grip it and rip it fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Dec 22, 2020

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

facialimpediment posted:

Actually a question for your legal brain:

https://twitter.com/RamCNN/status/1341804240713465863?s=19

I interpret this as "here comes the pain". The legal voices I'm hearing from basically say that Dominion has a serious, no-bullshit defamation claim in a world where almost all defamation claims are bullshit. That about right?

When you sell voting machines and someone claims your machine is not only defective but intentionally so in order to undermine democratic processes then yeah, you have a solid claim

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Hot Karl Marx posted:

This is probably also Dominion's last chance to make any money after this cause their reputation is going to be ruined no matter what happens. They need to change names or dissolve or whatever after this cause no one is going to be using them again after this

Those issues and their related expenses will undoubtedly be included in the assessment of damages that Dominion has faced as a result of this disinformation campaign, along with resulting costs for security needs and potentially even lobbying efforts / rebranding expenses.

It'll be interesting to see what exactly they allege as the resulting damage from these conspiracy allegations. Considering how many states use their machines it's probably going to be pretty hefty

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

mlmp08 posted:

Extremely cursed take: giving stimulus money to those who are still employed might help them afford the legal work to evict their tenant(s)

Depending on how their rental operations are structured, many landlords already had access to bundles through the PPP, potentially. Evicting a tenant is typically a discount affair as is - in many jurisdictions you'll have the same pissant baby attorney filing and managing dozens of cases a day because people.facing eviction can't afford representation and don't know what their rights are or the procedural requirements for the eviction process.

Anecdotal but a friend of mine who worked for a housing clinic managed to stave of an eviction for over a year due to procedural issues with the case. It's absolutely an area where people desperately need legal representation because of how specific the laws are to different jurisdictions. Boulder just passed an ordinance granting indigent representation to residents facing eviction. Hopefully it catches on elsewhere, fast.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

and on BBC boris is trumpeting getting the first zero quota zero tariff deal with the EU ever

............is this any better than what they had?

It's brand new!!!

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
PA + timer system to blow up a nashville restaurant? Something tells me that there are going to be a couple clues strewn about.

My money is on inside job

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

CommieGIR posted:

It was right in front of a major ATT datacenter/switching center

So maybe 5g nutcases. Laughably, its one of the ones designed to withstand a nuclear blast.

My money is on insurance scam, somehow. Closing with a wet fart seems on brand for the year

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Seems like they didn't want anyone dead, but wanted to scare the poo poo out of people? Guess the feds will be working overtime through NYE to figure this out

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

SquirrelyPSU posted:

I'm sure there are easier ways to perform insurance grift than attempting to blow up half a city block and inviting the eyes of the ATF and FBI.

That's why it's so genius!

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Gunshots are a red herring from the real plot - Insurance fraud

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Given the state of American political discourse, trying to distill a "political motive" that's distinct from mental illness seems pointless. The whole of Qanon appears to a lay observer to be some kind of politically induced psychosis. There are also dozens of other examples where politicians (primarily conservative politicians) tap into some pretty "insane" theories to attract wingnuts to their platform.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Internet Wizard posted:

Given the amount of outreach and acceptance the political right has given to fringe conspiracy groups over the last 4 years, actual grounding in political reality is no longer required to be a politically motivated terrorist. Right wing figureheads have actively encouraged anti-5G and all sorts of other ungrounded conspiracy violence

Jinx

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
The escape goat is a goat decoy who dies???

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
If you want real political discussion you have to go-to bread n roses.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Kazinsal posted:

poo poo, even the Bell System breakup didn't work out quite right in the long run. Four of the seven Regional Bell Operating Companies that came out of that and the non-local exchange carrier AT&T corporate assets (Western Electric, Bell Labs, etc.) are, as of right now, one company called AT&T again. Lumen/CenturyLink owns the remnants of US West, and Verizon is the result of NYNEX being folded into Bell Atlantic and then them buying GTE (one of AT&Ts only major competitors during the Bell System era).

I don't know if there's any law that would outright prohibit a merger of all three of those companies back into one big AT&T. I suppose the courts could seek to block it and probably would end up doing so because that'd obviously be a flagrant violation of the spirit of the divestiture agreement if not the letter of it.

Antitrust laws can prevent company mergers and acquisitions, If said merger would result in certain Undesirable market conditions. These kind of cases are where some very creative framing and analysis are used by big companies to claim that they don't actually compete in "x" market against whichever company they want to acquire, but actually compete in "y" marketplace against some other major players.

This is how Apple, Amazon, facebook, and microsoft can all claim to "compete" against one another, even though they all essentially have monopolies in a specific sector of the tech economy ( or more than one) The state of antitrust regulation is essentially the result of regulatory insiders and big tech money tag teaming the government in court.

Grip it and rip it fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Dec 29, 2020

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

SeaborneClink posted:

and yet Comcast/NBC Universal exists despite everyone not getting their palms greased, opposing it?

It's a lovely system we have built for ourselves. It always struck me as an area of the law where the whole-hearted acceptance of a certain school of economic thought has allowed regulators to essentially blow off their entire purpose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Midjack posted:

Wait a couple more decades for anyone who still remembers Ma Bell to leave government and they'll absolutely try it.

Telecom companies already behave monopolistically with price fixing and agreements not to compete in certain regions.

It's not illegal if it's just "how you do business" as opposed opposed to a conscious conspiracy to behave like a monopoly. Twombly v. Bell atlantic is a famous case in Federal civil procedure https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bell_Atlantic_Corp._v._Twombly