Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
?
This poll is closed.
Yes 44 35.20%
No 81 64.80%
Total: 125 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

brains
May 12, 2004

I Can't Believe It's Not Bikechat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brains
May 12, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

Between this:

Solarwinds is a fairly old company with some bad practices in exposing certain devices (common in Enterprise), one way or another an attacker managed to gain access to the build server (the box that takes your code, compiles it, and then signs the compiled package to be deployed), and slipped in a compromise. The compromise modified a DLL in Solarwinds, and allowed the attacker access to any Solarwinds box that applied the patch, which allowed them to deploy another DLL that looks like a Windows native DLL, that allowed the attacker to send "Jobs" to the compromised system to execute recon and attacks against the system and network.

Solarwinds is a Network Monitoring tool used heavily in Fortune 500s and Government.

TL;DR: They poisoned the watering hole that is used by A LOT of IT departments, and it spready itself under a legitimate application with a signed certificate saying it was "valid"

one way or another

https://twitter.com/vinodsparrow/status/1338431183588188160
https://twitter.com/Viss/status/1338575536793083906?s=20

brains
May 12, 2004

Mr. Nice! posted:

Breaking - haven't found a link yet but Bill Barr just resigned.
https://twitter.com/briantylercohen/status/1338614874658590722

For Whom The Barr Tolls

brains
May 12, 2004

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Honestly gently caress Google and Facebook. I honestly don’t care about them. Some of the worst scum I have ever dealt with.

And instead of normal Americans getting hosed over, large massive companies that are run by vampires...I’m okay with that. Section 230 only protects them. It doesn’t protect your abilities to do anything.

Really 230 allowed a lot of unchecked growth with Google, facebook, Twitter. that has caused more damage to American industries and civil society then one could have ever imagined back then. Just because big idiot wants a similar result, doesn’t mean that result might not be a bad thing, just his reasoning. I also expect courts to still allow for reasonable actions to prevent lawsuits, just not a shield.

Also Parlar getting sued for its users content would be hilarious.

my dude, you either have no idea how the internet works or don't understand what section 230 actually governs. repealing it would fundamentally break the internet (read: economy) due to incredible liability exposure. it's not just social media companies that would be affected, it's everything. trusting congress to "reasonably rewrite" the law is also a ridiculous folly.

brains
May 12, 2004

MazelTovCocktail posted:

No, I do. I just don’t care anymore. That said not changing it means things continue down the path they are now, and honestly I think you could make an argument that a total legal shield was not the best idea. I refuse to believe the only two outcomes are corpo slavery or the new dark age DX ending.

There has to be a way, along with DMCA reform, lower the liability shield and not cripple everything.

i think you are confusing antitrust laws (good) with repealing section 230 protections (bad). they are most definitely not the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brains
May 12, 2004

bulletsponge13 posted:

I saw another post that it was to allow them close to him time to grieve privately.

Since I failed civics (ha! Like my public school taught that) what happens if those 140 raging dickheads choose not to certify or whatever?

a 2 hour "debate" followed by the democrat-controlled house voting to certify. it's 100% performative.