Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MasterOSkillio
Aug 27, 2003
HI everyone, I have a question, and I am not sure if this is the right place for it, so if I need to switch up the post please let me know. My Dad contacted me the other day about my grandmother’s house and an issue with thermostats. Apparently, the heat there is all electric and there’s a crazy total of 8 old mechanical thermostats in 8 different rooms. This isn’t a big house, there aren’t a lot of rooms, just two floors, two bedrooms, a kitchen, a living room, a dining room, and two bathrooms. For some reason in the 70s when they built the house, they did electric heat, and it was common to install a thermostat in every room with the electric heat.

Either way he was looking to install a thermostat that could control all the rooms remotely via a phone, I have had good results with a Nest in the past, but electrical heat is a high voltage system (120v/240v) to the current thermostats, not a 12 volt like the Nest would use to connect to a gas or oil heat furnace and even then I am not sure how I could get it to control 8 separate rooms with electric baseboard heaters from a phone. Is there a way I can do this or a better option specifically for homes with electric heat?? Even if I have to get 8 separate thermostats could I get something like a RC840T-240? Or what type of other gadget do I need?

MasterOSkillio fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Dec 4, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

I don't have any specific advice because that's a rough situation, but we do have a general home automation thread going here where people are happy to super nerd out: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3635963

MasterOSkillio
Aug 27, 2003
Thanks!