Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Saukkis posted:

I've been thinking about rotten eggs as a solution for bullying. You would get seriously beaten, but if a bully gets enough dates ruined by random rotten eggs they might rethink their actions.

or possibly straight up murder you because bullies aren't known for thinking through the consequences of their actions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

North Ave / Ga Tech! That's... about right for the area.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Counterpoint: all four wheels came off the ground at the same time. Most cars never see that kind of action.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Sprinkler system water is always gross for a little bit when it first starts flowing.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

We've all thought about it.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Steakandchips posted:

I see. Sigh.

Going from e.g. JFK to ATL on a bike would be fun too if you heavily favored the Appalachian Mountains and took the Blue Ridge Parkway rather than riding down the Interstate the whole way.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Phanatic posted:

Doesn't the Blue Ridge Parkway have some absurdly-low speed limit that's actually enforced? I mean, it makes every list of the most scenic highways or whatever but actually driving it sounds really unfun, either because of the said aforementioned speed limits or the slew of RVs and tourists that make the speed limit irrelevant.

If they're coming from Ireland, it will seem perfectly reasonable.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Haifisch posted:

I used to live a 10 minute walk from work in an area that has sidewalks(which isn't a given around here - where I live now, there's stuff that would be in walking distance except for the part where I'd be gambling on not getting murdered by cars going 50mph with no sidewalks to seperate us & no pedestrian signals for crossing said 50mph traffic) and some people acted like I was ultra brave for walking home at night. In the suburbs. I have no idea what they thought was going to happen.

You might catch a chill!

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Cage posted:

They should drive in a way that doesn't require me to back up, I don't know. Drive in a way that affects the least amount of people. Don't make people brake for you when you pull in front of them. There are 10+ pumps, she has multiple options so that she can easily pull forward. She can drive backwards behind my car if she wants to play circus games, sure. Don't make me do it.

I'm sorry you were mildly inconvenienced. This must be a really difficult time for you. The only thing we can do is shift from R to D and carry on as best we can.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Cage posted:

Safety Dance I'm sorry you didn't like your secret santa gift from me :(

Now I'm actually worried you were my AISS santa one year and I've forgotten

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Cage posted:

2017! I got you goofy pants because you helped the kid drive stick and thats what he wore. Probably some food items too.

Oh jeez I forgot all about that incident. If I didn't thank you enough, thank you!

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I've seen quite a few posts about speed limits and people not understanding what they're for or why they're getting fined for exceeding them. This plus the constant chat in AI about speed limits on roads being one thing but you probably getting into an accident if you dare drive at it has me wondering guys, what is your issue? Where's the disconnect?

https://twitter.com/GreyLadiesNYC/status/1573694275191291904?t=ezSDY3KtCZcuJkd6zmgyAg&s=19

It's worth pointing out that in New York City, lanes are narrower, road conditions are worse, and there are a lot more pedestrians than other places in the US. 25 is reasonable for most of the city.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

PremiumSupport posted:

I've driven in LA, Chicago, Minneapolis and Dallas.

New York City is one of the few places I will absolutely not drive in if given any choice. Last time I was there the bus I was riding in traded paint and body dents (we were sideswiped by the trailer) with a semi truck on the interstate highway at speed, and neither driver thought it was a big deal.

Honestly driving in NYC isn't *that bad*, it's just not worth firing up the car unless you're leaving NYC. You have to be the right mix of patient and assertive but eventually you'll be somewhere better.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Having been on the receiving end of windshield washer mist a couple times as a motorcyclist, I'm aware of drivers behind me whenever I want to use my washer and will wait until there's nobody back there. On the other hand, somebody else's washer mist is an extremely mild annoyance at worst, and there's no reason a reasonable driver would ever react like that.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Farking Bastage posted:

I really really hate everyone around me today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87_EBk57Ea0

BTW that model dashcam is A+ Has sony image sensors

I don't see the problem. That's how I drive in European Truck Simulator 2

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Wow, crab mode is really impressive!

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Someone in a truck with an impenetrable British accent was following a car that was making a terrible noise. They passed and stopped the car. The car's front tires were essentially gone, and the front end was badly damaged. The car's stereo was blaring bagpipe music at eardrum-rupturing levels. The driver of the truck snatched the keys from the driver of the car. It was implied the driver of the car had crashed into a van back in town, and had been drinking.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Phanatic posted:

It doesn’t explain why that article is on a .uk news site and still reads like it was run through multiple translations.

It's because Oliver Browning at The Independent ran a Czech article through Google Translate, removed some extraneous bits, and hit "publish".

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Wasabi the J posted:

Uhh did we just see someone die? holy poo poo

Also I would have no loving clue what to do

Surprisingly probably not. Despite this being the biggest earthquake Taiwan has experienced in 25 years, the death toll is around 12, with 13 still missing.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Entropist posted:

That thing wouldn't legally qualify as a roundabout here. Build some proper ones!

I've seen roundabouts you wouldn't believe.
Box trucks turning left through narrow lines of cars.
I've watched garbage trucks going the wrong way around near the Tannhauser gate.
All those moments will be lost, like videos on a cheap SD card.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Dylan16807 posted:

I'm not sure what you mean about ambiguity, since traffic on the right also has priority with four-way stops.

Also cars stop at signs where I live. California's weird.

Imagine a four way stop, but with no stop signs. If you approach the intersection and there's nobody to your right, you don't stop.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Brut posted:

That's just an intersection with the light out and

Ah yes but imagine a world where this is an expected traffic feature, where driver training was more than a perfunctory semester in high school for most people.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I mean they're obviously wrong but it is cathartic to watch

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Yeah, I didn't do driver's ed, but somehow I've managed not to get in any accidents over the last 50 years.

I took driver's ed and have been in multiple accidents over the last 50 years, so there. :smuggo:

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Found this incredible corner that for some reason keeps catching drivers out (do these people not have eyes?!)

https://x.com/conzmoleman/status/1770370903655731653

It has a youtube channel so it's like the 11'8" bridge one but for drivers who get confused about what corners are and what they should do when coming up against one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9G-D2VkZhE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-SZQXNkDmI

This one's off camber, so drivers carry too much speed into it and understeer directly into the ditch.

quote:

In the comments this classic corner as well which iirc is well signposted but people still go steaming round it at high speed and wreck for our entertainment:
https://x.com/chvrlie_js/status/1770516073856835964

This one is actually on the way to my doctor's office. It's a highway exit from a tunnel that's super narrow and spits you out into an immediate merge and a traffic light.

Street View:
https://maps.app.goo.gl/4DxQ6B5pKTMZJGq79

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Apr 15, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

The VW Golf Cabriolet (2002 and earlier) is still my high bar for cute convertibles. I love the adorable easter basket handle.