Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

my kinda ape posted:

??? either I'm misreading or you have it backwards. It's referring to the side of the road you drive on not the side of the vehicle the driver is on.

Just a bunch of miscommunication and misunderstanding of the phrase.

"X hand drive" refers to the side the driver sits on: "X hand traffic" refers to which side of the road you drive on.
Australians primarily use right hand drive vehicles, on the left side of the road. The US drives on the right side of the road in left hand drive vehicles.

Right-Hand-Drive is standard in a Left-Hand-Traffic country
LHD in a RHT country

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

"And that's when I had to lay it down"

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Applebees Appetizer posted:

There's definitely people that will only drive the exact same way back from wherever they went to because they have no sense of direction at all, and a simple change like leaving a gas station on the north side instead of the east side would completely gently caress them up. I personally know people like this that have lived in my area for years.

Don't even get me started on people that can't understand a simple grid system, or even the concept of North, South, East and West.

My mom is like that. I've seen her use siri to go to a restaurant a mile from her house. The directions are literally "exit your driveway, go north one mile, turn right into the strip mall."

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
Mmmmmm PCBs

https://v.redd.it/mkm1frglhp471

https://v.redd.it/i7e2wfjl8ha61

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

VideoGameVet posted:

I bike commute and one time I had to bike from the office (Studio City, CA ... job I had from ‘18 to ‘20) to the subway, a few miles .... but it was 112ºF out.

You can deal with that, if you do it often enough.

Just absolutely kills me. We're having a god awful heatwave in Minnesota, that many of you would laugh off, and I'm trying to get summer acclimated by riding in it. It's been really rough. 95° definitely isn't too hot for a lot of people to ride in, but when you consider 30° "a nice, warm winter day for a bike ride," a 95° day is killer. I've seen snow on the ground on some of the days we've been over 80 this year for christ's sake.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Olympic Mathlete posted:

From the schad thread, rather than accepting his fate, this guy tries running from his embarrassment...

Wild, he got 10 days in jail for driving like that.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
poo poo's going to get even more wild as these people that have absolutely no business driving 500hp+ EVs in the first place start running their tires down to nothing.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

IOwnCalculus posted:

and I'd say he was planning on going full dick move by more or less buzzing the back bumper of the fuckwit in the truck who turned left in front of him. What he didn't expect was that the truck driver was so stupid as to be towing a trailer while also making a late and slow left turn across traffic.

BMW was absolutely intending to be a dick. He speeds up when approaching the intersection.

https://i.imgur.com/SzuaxaD.mp4

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

KozmoNaut posted:

I've also seen people brace against the steering wheel, which is just no no NO.

Had a teacher that couldn't fully extend his arm because of that. Locked up his arm in an accident and got his elbow pinned in place to fix it.

Same thing happened to Les Paul, the guy that basically invented the electric guitar. Got his elbow pinned at a 90° angle, rather than amputated, so he could still play guitar. Coincidentally, it was my music teacher that hosed up his arm death-gripping a steering wheel.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KXQTwZAN6Y

Background: drunk driver on a road closed for the Armed Forces Skyway 10K Race. It's held on the Sunshine Skyway Bridge.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/bbZi87EiC5sWrzWt8

This the size of the crowd she was speeding towards, and the reason the trooper intentionally got into a head on collision with her.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRl4sKxCBbw

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Large Testicles posted:

My mom did that with a Beetle in the 80's. IDK how they got it in

Beetles are light enough that you could stick one in the back of a U-haul with like 4 dudes. Pick up the light front end and put it in the truck. Lift up the rear end and roll it in. People used to pick them up and move them or park them 90° as a joke.

Only 4 bolts hold the body on to the "body pan"/drivetrain/frame. People used to undo those bolts and carry the Beetle on to the roof of buildings.

A lot more pranks just carried up the shell.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Salami Surgeon posted:

In the previous apartment I lived in, people would drive to the entrance and wait there for the bus to drop off their kids.

That poo poo drove me insane. You basically couldn't enter or leave my complex anywhere near bus time because the parents would block the exit and then do u-turns into the entrance. I could squeak by with a bike before the kids were dropped off, but there was too much of a risk of getting hit until they completely cleared out once the kids were around. All those folks trying to protect their kids were literally causing the risk!

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

yummycheese posted:

what kind of radio antenna are bolted on those bull bars? does aus have a vibrant citizens band radio scene going on?

Their CB frequencies are equivalent to the cheap handhelds US people buy in blister packs. Instead of the 11m band the US uses for CB, the antenna for those Aussie CBs can be short enough to use handhelds instead of 102" antenna US truckers use.

Ya kinda need a radio when you're 4x4'ing with your buddies. A lot of that stuff is really just for looks, just like in the US.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

I used to live near a big dip in the road and got off work the same time as bars closed. I never, ever got tired of hearing drunk assholes scraping and smashing the poo poo out of the bottom of their cars. I live in a heavy road salt state with 0 inspections and every vehicle is rusting out on the underside, so it wasn't a bit of meaningless damage that they were doing.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
Here's one with a much higher pucker rating
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFmj1xx7gOE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Imagined posted:

And they're so loving lazy. The "downtown" of my city is 4 miles square. You can walk anywhere within it at a casual pace in less than an hour. Nobody needs an electric scooter here unless they're disabled, and then they have their own and don't need to rent.

If using a scooter as a "last mile" solution is what it takes to get people to use public transit, we should be happy. Not everybody is willing to walk an hour to work, bud. Don't forget the long walk to the bus station at the home side of the trip.