Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Nothing, huh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Seems appropriate here.

Beyond "these people are clearly idiots", I was trying to figure out what car that was and figured it for some late model german luxo. Assuming that's correct, this dude is walking on the roof/windshield/hood of a car far "nicer" (more expensive, at least) than anything I'm ever likely to own.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

prom candy posted:

Wasn't there a TCC goon that did this on their motorcycle?

SlapActionJackson posted:

Anybody seen backpanther recently?
(it was backpanther. He had a panther tattoo.)

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

televiper posted:

Do drawbridges not come with big red CANCEL buttons for times like this?
Those things are heavy, I can't imagine there's much that can be safely done at that point - you could STOP moving, which, I'd bet there's a control for, if someone is actually watching it - but you couldn't drop the bridge back into a level / deployed position.

VideoGameVet posted:

Family business was parking garages (starting in the 1920's). I have skills.

Maybe I should just parallel park people's cars for cash?
If you did that without touching either vehicle, I'm impressed.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

At least he put his mask on!

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I remember when the seat back of my first car broke off on one side. If I recall correctly, I put a milk crate behind it and kept driving.

Cars are generally built to minimum cost, not to be incredibly resilient.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

PeterCat posted:

And I've never encountered the severe jolts of a badly pitted road when I've been out flying.
How about the severe jolts of hitting a bridge? :v:

This is all a bit academic, because certainly flying that helicopter instead of driving it into a bridge would have been cheaper, assuming it isn't broken/is capable of flight.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

you ate my cat posted:

Should you be careful not to lock up your tires in a car with ABS? Yes, absolutely, but chances are good that you probably won't die in a modern car if you lock the tires for a moment.
Did you mean “without”?

Do they still make modern cars without ABS outside of specialty cars? Even the Viper has had it for years. I guess stuff like Morgan or Caterham may well not.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

slidebite posted:

Short of your ABS failing or using your park brake, can you lock up your wheels on a modern car?
No, but I was trying to slow-walk the point home :v:

you ate my cat posted:

I guess what I meant was more that you should try to be cognizant of how hard you're braking and how much control you have over the car, even with ABS. Slamming your foot to the floor and hoping for the best is still better than a half-hearted attempt at stopping while swerving.
I agree that you should try to be aware of how to control your car, but I gotta be honest, I have no idea what you're saying beyond this.

Unless it's "the person in the BMW was an idiot", in which case I also agree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

you ate my cat posted:

Pretty much just this, and that I think most people in the US don't get taught how hard they can brake. I tried to hedge a little toward "always be in control of your car" because I figured that this is the internet and someone would be along to tell me that ABS isn't magic if I didn't. If you're trying to get more out of it then I think you're reading too far into it.
Your word choices are making your point ambiguous.

Large Testicles posted:

My ABS actually worked too well one time. I had a guy in front of me jam on his brakes so I had to as well and I ended up coming to a stop a good 10 feet behind him.

Which caused the dude behind me, who was either not paying enough attention or not hitting his brakes hard enough, to slam into my rear end.
Odds are good he'd also have hit you if you were 1mm away from the guy in front of you, which would have then involved THAT vehicle, so ... ABS did good, driver behind you did bad.

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Nov 25, 2021