Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I saw one of those a few years ago with a sign "For sale, doesn't fit mine, might fit yours!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I got the attention of the woman ahead of me at the drive thru to tell her her tire is flat. She got out, looked at it, said omg thank you. She then got back in and finished the drive thru thing which I get. I was thinking if she pulled into a space I'll offer to help her change the tire. Then she got her food and ... drove off down the main road.

That tire is hosed.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

monsterzero posted:

Maybe someday she'll connect the dots and understand why her car was trying to tell her about the witch's cauldron

The irony being the witches brew light is on in my truck too for the same corner.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Watched an older Jeep wrangler take a hard right and pour liquid along the curve. The smell confirmed gas, the gas cap dangling confirmed temporary idiocy.

How do you signal to someone their gas cap is off though? I did a little mime thing that probably just confused them.

I've never seen gas just dump out of the filler like that before though, pretty funny sight.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Most certainly the driver is going to lose his license.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Anyone who would take a video meeting while driving is clearly a deep thinker and an incredible driver. The seat belt isn't needed for them at all, they should just unclip it.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Someone swung wide from the far left turn lane to the outside left turn lane and cut off the Charger ahead of me. They were immediately lit up and pulled over. I think that's the fastest infraction to pullover I've ever witnessed.

To be clear, the blue Charger was Colorado State Police.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Arguing without facts! It's the goon way. The placement of the wreck before the bridge and a lack of damage to the bridge seemed suspect to me.

Here with news you can use from Channel 6.

https://www.newson6.com/story/5e36382d2f69d76f62055ca1/huey-helicopter-knocked-off-trailer-on-way-to-tulsa-veterans-day-parade

TULSA 6 posted:

Huey Helicopter Knocked Off Trailer On Way To Tulsa Veterans Day Parade

Monday, November 11th 2013, 10:27 am

By: Dee Duren

A fully-restored military helicopter was heavily damaged in transport Monday morning on the IDL in Tulsa. The Huey helicopter was knocked off a trailer after hitting a sign on southbound Highway 75.
The Vietnam-era helicopter was on its way from the Tulsa Air and Space Museum to the Tulsa Veterans Day parade.
"As we were coming into downtown, one of the wires that had the blades secured on the helicopter came loose," said Undersheriff Tim Albin, Tulsa County Sheriff's Department.

"As I was talking to the driver telling him to stop, the air caught the blade and flipped it up, into one of the traffic signs. When it caught that blade, it just peeled it right off the trailer."

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

You Am I posted:

I don't think it is the roundabout that's the issue here, more people not being able to negotiate the corner before it.

Yeah it looks like there's a porkchop there that sneaks up on them for some reason.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Deteriorata posted:

It's designed that way because it's a bridge.

Paint the lanes thinner, add cubs on the outside.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
The snark of Colorado sheriff reporting lol.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

charliemonster42 posted:

The BMW driver also hardly brakes - that thing is capable of braking way harder than he did. It hardly even dips the nose. If he hadn't been texting and had actually braked as hard as conditions would allow it would've been a non-event.

I, too, fail to understand the American obsession with diving into the shoulder while half-braking for an emergency.

I was thinking of this a couple days ago when some goon braked with plenty of room in the left lane and dove his newish white Yukon into the shoulder. It was wildly unnecessary but I don't hate it. I makes a big show of you slowing down considerably and hopefully catches attention of the person behind you to also slow down, either from seeing you move or from showing them traffic is stopped in front. I sometimes move to the far edge of my lane to give the person behind me a look at what's ahead, since I drive a large vehicle.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Yeah I remember our drivers ed teacher telling us to push it as hard as we can until we felt the pedal shaking and keep it down. That was so much fun.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
That's why you back into your driveway like a king.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Imperador do Brasil posted:

This is why I back into every parking spot. My son who just got his permit is also doing this everywhere we go. It’s drat near impossible to see around all these goddamn giant trucks and SUV’s if we were to back out in our tiny-for-the-modern-era cars.

My wife rolls her eyes and gets a little cross when we're in a hurry and I back in. Of course that's also an opportunity for a little fake hustle on my part to just front in and act like I'm moving quickly. Similar to the Rolls Royce method of downshifting and driving at high revs to make your client think you're going faster.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Protocol7 posted:

My truck battery has been dead for months and today my Escape isn't cranking. Pretty sure it's the original factory battery from 6 years ago too. I'm the idiot for not maintaining my vehicles :smith:

Edit: Just a small update. I hate new cars. 2 hours of removing just the loving air filter just to replace the battery :argh:

Oh boy I had a 2015 Escape and I remember looking at the battery and thinking drat that'll be a bitch to replace. I turned it back in without having to though.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I just got back from a trip that took about 5 hours longer than it was supposed to I think. And it was already a long drive. We got very close to a town on the interstate before they closed it starting at that town. The detour had significant backtracking, then snow, then an accident, rain, more snow....

This was after our driver sped down some two lane roads with about 6" of shoulders, no guardrails and unsigned turns. I was ready to be home.

I hate not being in control, and also having no or little influence over the situation. To me, if we're getting home after midnight because of a detour, there's no reason to hurry anymore. It's not like I could still make family dinner or something, once you're five hours late who, cares if it goes to six? I gave a little monologue and I think it helped.

I also didn't like that we were in a little convoy, but mostly because the route we took wasn't reccomended by any navigation. Probably it's faster though if you are going 80 in a 40!

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I saw this guy handing out chips today.

That's a truck I don't trust.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Platystemon posted:

That is the world’s largest convenience store in New Braunfels, sixty‐six thousand, three hundred and thirty‐five square feet.

Not very convenient if u ask me.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Just imagine parking there, getting out, looking at it, and moving in. Incredible move.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

BigPaddy posted:

My non lifted, completely stock, non off road package 2021 Sierra does not fit in a garage made in 2021. So good luck to that guy.

Yet my 2015 Sierra fits in my 1978 garage. I'm concept at least. I'd have to clean it and rearrange it a bit so I could easily get in and out.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

BigPaddy posted:

It would fit in length wise but the garage door isn’t tall enough. It could have been built 6” higher and it would be ok. Not an issue really since the garage is full of project cars.

Yeah I think the trucks got taller didn't they? Whenever I pull up to a new one I'm looking up. The bed rails especially are a lot taller.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Protocol7 posted:

I can only afford to lift the front, don't judge.

Essentially what levelling kits are and the effects!

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Thankfully a moment after I took the pic a guy walked around to put it up. I was wondering how tf I was going to get their attention.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Wasabi the J posted:

Usually they're swapping positions for fuel efficiency (aero), not for time.

Haha what? Most drivers are paid by the mile and time limited. If someone thinks they can get further in their limited time they will pass to do so. It's usually not fully logical and just based on the idea that you gotta go fast.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Javid posted:

It IS fully logical - once you understand the driver is under pressure from a manager who doesn't give a poo poo about anyone on that road, including the driver, and just has a spreadsheet with miles per month on it that must always go up by any means necessary

also when you're driving a semi, there are just cars mad behind you, at all times, forever. Making a different lane mad for ten minutes to pick up 1.7 mph isn't even a decision, as opposed to possibly getting yelled at and/or shafted with worse dispatches because your boss thinks you took too long to do the route

You're right and I agree. My point on not being fully logical is if you were a computer and knew how far you can get before you have to stop it may not make any difference in your pay if you pass or not. Although it may mean you can stop working faster which by that measure is perfect.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

PT6A posted:

Speed limits need explanations like movie ratings. "This road is rated 60 km/h for... hidden driveways, lovely margins, a school is near here" etc.

There's the argument that a lot of places have speed limits set stupidly low, but honestly I don't see very many of them (it's mainly a problem with freeways), it's just that people don't appreciate the hazards and factors that have led to lower speed limits.

It's also a matter of situational awareness. There's a road on my way to work with an 80 km/h limit. That's, if anything, a wee bit fast for some sections of the road if you aren't paying attention. It's also very slow for the portions of the road with excellent visibility when there are no confounding factors. Unless you're going to have speed limit signs every few kilometers according to each section of road, every curve and hill crest, or simply trust drivers to make good judgements (and you shouldn't do either of those things, because they're terrible ideas), you'll have that situation and no amount of road design is going to change it. If you want to go fast, speed and take your chances; look out for late-model Fords, especially parked by the side off the road

There's a common theme I've noticed in small towns in the mountain west, it may be common in more places, this is just where I've driven a lot and observed it.

Small towns on the highway here often will have you slow from 70 down to 25 in the course of a mile or less, not always in a speed trap manner where it's rapid, sometimes though. My issue is that the highway I was on with a 70mph speed limit had no shoulders, and narrow lanes, then the town has a really wide road with long sight lines. The lanes are as wide or wider than the highway. There's parking space on each side. The businesses are set way back from the road with big parking lots and little landscaping. Everything you see is telling you that it's a 45mph road, and it's 25. It's left to the reader to decide if this is a well designed speed trap for travellers or if it's design incompetence.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Cops love a good chase don't they! It's unlikely that they need to do that when they have a helicopter to track the car, and it's not a car that blends in by any means.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

I'm shocked the comments are still on for that video. It's awesome to have 150 people call you a moron.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

waffle iron posted:

The whole length is striped with solid lines indicating no lane changes. It's not ideal but the filmer is clearly doing what the person designed that road intended. (Even if the design was decades of continuing to restripe an amateur design.)

I agree that's how it should work I've seen a lot of paint in my life and turn lanes are often solid with no point of entry or a point of entry hundreds of feet before you can even tell where the turn is.

One I encounter regularly is for a double left and has legitimately no entry. It's solid from the previous intersection to the next, and the lane aligned with it is a left turn only to another road.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Fifty Three posted:

They probably knew back in 1960 or so when they paid it off

Hrmm please share what you saw when you looked at this picture.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I had a fun time yesterday, a guy put half his car in the left turn lane and was blocking the straight lane. I was behind a car behind him that was too timid to go around. My wife said I should honk so I did. A small honk. Then another. Then I just held the horn until she demanded I stop, a good 10-12 seconds. Enough time to see the main offender freaking out and trying to cozy up as close as he could but still be in the way. Then their light changed and we all went on our way.

No regrets here. I didn't see where he came from to get wedged between the lanes but I suspect it's because he took the offramp lane that says "no left at next intersection", and couldn't get over in time because that's why there's a sign. Happens all the time. Lots of drivers who won't wait at a red light to make the turn and just take the yield merge lane.

On that same note it's really because I made a spectacle of it that I even remember. My friend seems to remember ever slight and red light running that he encounters and holds grudges and claims drivers here are the worst he's ever seen. I think they're the worst he's seen this year, but probably neither the worst in the country or the worst he's seen. He'll probably move again and complain about drivers there too.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Applebees Appetizer posted:

It's because the cool thing to do is the "gangster lean" which is not really good for actually controlling the car well at all over 20 mph, then mix a terrible driver with physics and you get videos like that.

OK grandpa

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Good drivers drive like this.
Bad drivers drive like this.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

slidebite posted:

Probably some confirmation bias at play, but literally every accident I've come across for the past couple years has had a Ram involved, typically the instigator.

You're right to think that. I do too. It may or may not be true but... yesterday I decided not to get in front of one that had mismatched wheels and NO RF FENDER. Seemed wild to me.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Why does the URL mention a Rolls Royce but nothing in the article? I'm not asking you. I'm just upset. I live in Denver and I've been seeing this clip for weeks and was really hoping for more detail.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

televiper posted:

I presume the initially misreported the 300 as a RR (my :thejoke:) , ran the story that way with a URL that matched the headline, then updated the story with the correct vehicle information, but didn’t want to bother with creating a new URL.

Yeah I think that's right. You posted while I was writing mine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Celexi posted:

baited this coal roller and they missed all of them:

https://i.imgur.com/sgp4ekr.mp4

Missed all of what? I don't understand what's going on here.