Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Taerkar posted:

Anti-Ship missiles have hefty warheads with modern designs, so imagine about a ton equivalent of high explosives going off next to the hull and it's also a focused charge. Armor isn't going to stop that.

Even near misses from heavier bombs could crack or buckle ship armor.

Add in stuff like pop-up attack weapons and you'd have to put on a crazy amount of armor to even have a chance.

Modern anti-ship torpedoes, like an attack submarine carries, are also way more effective than the WWII equivalent. A WWII sub had to try to calculate its target's speed and bearing and then fire a spread of torpedoes at where the target will be, and hope one or more of them hits and punches through (not even going into the problems the US Navy had with torpedoes getting that far).

Modern torps like the US Mk 48 are obviously guided weapons, so barring the use of some sort of countermeasures they're far more likely to hit. And they really do a number on unarmored warships:

Would an armored battleship fare any better? Probably not. It might take a few more hits, but a sub has more torpedoes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

If we hadn't dropped the atomic bombs on those cities, they would have just been firebombed to ash instead. And if Japan hadn't surrendered by around the end of November, the bloodiest invasion in the history of the world would have occurred. And if the war hadn't started years earlier... moral arguments about any of it seem like a waste of time.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

HookedOnChthonics posted:

Some incredible footage here I've never stumbled across before from the landing deck camera of a carrier in the pacific

Oh yeah, that thing is dodging air attackers (probably kamikazes if it's late in the war).

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

E: in somewhat milhist news, today is the 12th anniversary of that guy throwing his shoes at George W Bush. Never forgotten.

You can follow him on twitter now. What a world. @muntazer_zaidi

FuturePastNow fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Dec 16, 2020

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Some good photos of HMCS Sackville, the only surviving Flower-class corvette, being restored:

https://twitter.com/HMCSSACKVILLE1/status/1339556113101041666

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Jobbo_Fett posted:

They are clearly going to ramp off the hill

Got to get some air to drop the bombs.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

The Lone Badger posted:

Instead of AFVs that can drop from a plane, why not AFVs that are planes?

The time of the Aerogavin will come yet!

Soviet Glider Tank

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Nenonen posted:

If you forget all the bad things done by Hitler, you'll notice that Hitler did nothing wrong.

Which category does mediocre landscape art fall into?

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Milhist Thread: The tank's armor was HEAT treated

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Valtonen posted:

Was Any of this purposefully for maskirovka use? One could think that whilst you really cant HIDE your capital surface ships, keeping your subs as anonymous as possible could be useful to hinder the Evil Capitalists from figuring your sub numbers and deployment tempo between individual boat?

Picturing a 4-boat class of submarines named 1, 2, 3, 11

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

A mech is just a tank that can trip on things and can't hide behind hills

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

How does the damage of a modern ASM compare to a kamikaze with a bomb attached planting itself in the side of a ship?

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I was 10 so I had a couple packs of those cards as a kid. They're probably still in a drawer at my dad's house.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Libluini posted:

Yeah, my first reaction to that was "But what if a German U-Boat manages to torpedo it when it's loaded up real good with all the troops?"

Amphibious Assault Barge would be a pretty soft target but during the landing it would be surrounded by dozens of warships there to protect it and bombard the beach. The U-Boat would have to get through a wall of destroyers first.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Koramei posted:

This whole time whenever I saw "GWOT" in this thread I thought it was some in-joke calling it Gulf War Overtime. I just saw someone else use it in a different place and looked it up and realized it's actually just the official acronym. Very disappointed.

It is a joke, just not a funny one.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Can't the Phalanx guns be manually/optically aimed? Put 2000 20mm rounds into the gun directors and then aim for the bridge

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Russian SSN following the carrier around sees the Yamato and think they've been teleported back to WWII

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

One thing the Navy really wanted to do after the war started was reduce crew sizes, the Dauntless and Helldiver both needed a crew of 2 and the Avenger needed 3 people. They wanted one single seat plane to replace all their torpedo and dive bombers, and this didn't quite make it into service before the war ended but became the Skyraider.

They also developed a single man floaplane (the Seahawk) for warships to carry to replace the 2-crew ones (Seamew and Kingfisher) and it turned out the second crewmember in those was really helpful for hooking the thing up to the ship and for rescuing someone from the water.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Cyrano4747 posted:

It should also be noted that the sky raider could use torpedoes. Most famously they did a torpedo attack against a North Korean dam.

Torpedo attacks from aircraft were obsoleted by ASMs. It was a riskier attack profile but it survived for quite a while because it’s a really good way to deliver a lot of explosive below a ships waterline.

Yeah, the Avenger could carry one torpedo, limited by the size of its internal bomb bay. The Skyraider could carry up to three. Or about 4x as many bombs as the Avenger.

I think the coolest attack aircraft developed too late for the war was the Skypirate. Able to carry four torpedoes and too big for carriers older than the Midway-class.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

ChubbyChecker posted:

here's a video of a plane at a shooting range:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tk5Yp-yPhU

People with too much money still take their P-51s to the range to do this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_vAJ0TF7mM

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

This email was in my inbox tonight and my first thought was the milhist thread:

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Every time I see the name of a Japanese ship I don't recognize, I look up which battle it got dumpstered in. It's a fun history game

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I also find it hard to believe Hurricanes vs assault gliders wouldn't be a bloodbath. On the other hand, gliders didn't have fuel or oil to catch fire, and maybe the smaller ones didn't even have hydraulics for control surfaces. So you could probably put a lot of lead through those and they'd fly (progressively worse) until you hit the pilot or a control cable.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Same sort of thing that prevents a gun that shoots through a propeller from shooting it.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Didn't I read a story in this thread or one like it about some Canadians in Normandy who were trying to speak French to the locals who just got angrier until one yelled at them, in English, to just speak English?

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

If you sent a working T56 back to Allison in 1939 would there be turboprop B-29s by '45?

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Scratch Monkey posted:

I like the nota-swastikas they put on the tails

I understand why they wouldn't want to paint a swastika on a plane in 2021 but frankly I'd prefer if they just left that space blank than tried to rules-lawyer it with a fake one

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

bewbies posted:

i had to do a month as a casualty notification officer, man was that fun

the only time i can think of a movie doing an in-person notification was saving private ryan, and that was kind of a unique case. a league of their own has a great scene with the telegram guy

Saving Private Ryan does that part pretty well I think, here's the scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_RS3oBFMjc

"I just learned that this afternoon their mother is going to be getting all three telegrams" so they send a car

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

The royal lifestyle leaves plenty of time to practice things like art.

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

American presidents would often doodle in their notes and a good deal of them are saved due to document retention laws.

Not the best site but a good compilation of examples. https://www.ranker.com/list/drawings-made-by-us-presidents/melissa-brinks Not nearly as well done as the Kaiser's.

My boredom doodles look an awful lot like Hoover's and Nixon's, which is very concerning.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

zoux posted:

We had a cape girl in college. Meg. 20 years ago. I can't remember the names of 95% of my profs, but I remember her quite well.

Heh my college also had a cape girl, 20 years ago.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

please tell me they have gun crews trained to load and fire the cannons

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Chamale posted:

A lot of the U.S. stance on torture had to do with the possibility of retaliation.

I wonder if the link is countries becoming more and more dependent on volunteer soldiers instead of draftees, as this threat of retaliation impacts the willingness of people to sign up in the future.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Gail Halvorsen died. He was 101.

https://apnews.com/article/europe-utah-world-war-ii-berlin-blockades-fab750bae8de282e8ea2edce8b65b317

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

The chainsaw was invented by doctors, not lumberjacks.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

My great grandpa still had a trench gun in his closet when he died :911:

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Chamale posted:

Churchill called tanks "land battleships". Clearly, the future of war is land aircraft carriers

does that make infantry "land destroyers"

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

The F7F is a pretty plane

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Scratch Monkey posted:

It's a scientific fact that the British spent all their "beautiful airplane" energy on the Spitfire. Everything after that was a steep decline.

Excuse me, the Mosquito is right there

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Acebuckeye13 posted:

u kno it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lG-snJZIV8

You can even fire a gun in space! Though you probably shouldn't.

that might be the most Florida thing I've ever seen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Nenonen posted:

How about taking causality into account, did Gavrilo Princip kill 16 million people on 28 June 1914? Granted not everyone died immediately, but that's when he fired the shots that killed them.

If we're getting abstract and not limited to infantry, Thomas Ferebee probably holds the record for most kills with one pull of a trigger