Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

MikeCrotch posted:

One issue with handheld anti-tank weapons is a lot of them have a tendency to scramble their users brains. In the French army for example, you are allowed to fire a recoilless rifle in training 3 times, ever, due to traumatic brain injury concerns.
Do they have a limit 'for real' or is it one of those things where you are popping those off we'll deal with it after everything calms down?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Henry II of France died in a jousting accident during a festival celebrating a peace treaty.
If I remember, he caught a lance in the face and took better than a week to die. Not exactly a kingly way to pass.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Nenonen posted:

It allows you to design what ever shapes of armoured vehicles, put in an engine, transmission etc. and then try them out. It looks like stupidly fun and buggy (it's early access...).

I could watch those cycle all day.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

What would the antiquity version of trading them for for a couple cases of smokes and Rip-its be? Some kind of salted meat maybe?

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Guess you could say...he's going to be on ice for awhile. :dadjoke:

Not really, he flipped for the feds, presumably for a reduced sentence, so it is more likely that he will get iced.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Two. He fell out once, but bounced.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Wildcat... wild... cat...

I'm gonna go.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Fangz posted:

How did he get a French bayonet?

I would not be surprised at all if the dude picked it up off a German thinking it was German and found out later it was French.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Tomn posted:

I really, really want to know more about how somebody just walks home with an artillery piece and what exactly they expected to do with the thing once they got it home.

Ask all those Ukrainian farmers that are the proud owners of one (slightly used) T-whatever.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

What would be the best airborne weapon for antipersonnel roles? A rocket containing frag bomblets?

Thermobarics would be a good choice. As long as it isn't too windy or rainy.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Old and German genes?

I can think of a few relatives and some olds in my 'hometown' that look pretty similar. It ain't the years, its the mileage (and schnapps).

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

zoux posted:

Do you have some of the other menus for comparison sake

This isn't quite the same time period, but since it is Battleship New Jersey, it is a pro click.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxpVP4tFXV8

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

If that attachment point works the way I think it does or could be modified so the shovel blade pivots 180º around the axis of the mortar, that might not be too bad. Stomp the shovel into the ground and it seems like it should be pretty secure. I'm sure it would still have 'gently caress all' accuracy, but at least it would stay in the same place after firing it.

I'm laughing at what appears to be two shovel/bow saw combos in the background. Looks like the blade gets covered up by the handle in shovel mode, but that is a hell of an oopsie if the shovel blade hits a root or something along the one edge and poo poo isn't locked down.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Crab Dad posted:

I’ve had members from my reenactment group go in the past. In fact some of them jumped. Nobody has ever said a negative thing about the event.

The only negative-ish thing I have heard from anyone that went over was to add like at least an hour or two to any kind of plan for how jam-packed everything is and people just handing you shots or glasses of wine.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Would you rather fight 500 lemmings crewing a Tiger or 500 lemming-sized Tigers?

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Royal Navy and USN were big into cribbage USN subs were supposedly really into it.

I had a granduncle that was on a smaller boat around Korea and my grandfather was in the army in Korea and their brothers would play cribbage but I think they got started on that before they went in. They tried to teach me to play a few times but I was real little.

They also played a LOT of euchre and some bridge since they had card decks, but the officers didn't like them playing poker because of the gambling. Good luck enforcing that, I'm sure, or it could have been Grandpa embellishing an army story.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

feedmegin posted:

Hmm do USN ships tend to have strong regional contingents?

Probably not after the Sullivans. I would say it was more that you could throw a stick and hit 'German/Dutch-descended farm kid' than any specific region.

If a few guys know how to play it isn't too hard to teach other people to play when you have lots of time with not much else going on.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Chamale posted:

Did they get multiple attempts to achieve 10 hits in a row, or only one try? If it's the latter, that's a pretty flawed test. A man with a 95% accuracy rate would have a 60% chance of passing, but a man with a 90% accuracy rate would have a 35% chance of passing by luck. Instead of recruiting the best shooters, you'd end up with a lot of pretty good shooters who got lucky that day.

If it is anything like pistol or rifle qualifications these days, they are probably running so many guys through that you will only get one chance that day, maybe two if you go to the back of the line and they get to you again. (technically I think you are only supposed to get one chance per day to qualify-I don't know if they prioritize DNQ to qualify over someone wanting to get Expert or Marksman) Also considering that modern quals with automatics still take forfuckingever, I can only imagine how long single shots would make it.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

bob dobbs is dead posted:

as we all know, thanksgiving is the traditional american fight holiday. prolly the most surreal fight i saw in my own thanksgivings is the in-laws (my sister's husband's family) arguing about my sister's husband's dad's lackadaisical hydrazine storage for his rocketry projects

Please tell me deep-frying a whole turkey was involved somehow.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

The Lone Badger posted:

Did you have to find a buyer yourself, was there centralised marketplaces to list it, or could you sell it back to the crown?

The way I understood it from when I was researching British Napoleonics is that there was enough demand that either you knew someone looking for your commission or there would be someone you knew professionally or socially that would put the word out and you'd have interest fairly quickly. There would be a bit of +/- depending on the rank and regiment, but they usually sold themselves.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Nebakenezzer posted:

The Seafire does not - nor does Implacable, the carrier he's flying from. So let me ask: air condition in World War 2. Do all American aircraft have it or is this mostly a USN thing? I know American subs had it, and I'm guessing some USN carriers had it; did any one else? Did the IJN?
IJN did not give a shiiiiiiiiiiit about crew comfort. I read a report on one of the I-400s and there was a pretty significant part about how compared to US subs, it would have been absolutely miserable as there was no climate control at all and if you weren't an officer, gently caress all berthing. End of the war and all that, but for a boat like that, you'd think you would want some kind of temperature control.

I had family in the Navy up until Vietnam and they would talk about how the bigger boats were nice because the food was usually better, but sleeping could be hard because it was muggy as hell. If there was AC it was either broke or wasn't enough for just sitting in the South China Sea.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Fangz posted:

You can't keep crews happy with bushido alone.

It is hot as balls, I have to sleep in a hammock in an active passageway, poo poo into a bucket because we don't have flush toilets, and don't have fresh food because the food stores aren't refrigerated. But I CAN have a seltzer.

The Yamato is an extreme outlier as being the Combined Fleet flagship, it had insane poo poo like actual AC and fresh food. If I had to choose an IJN ship to turn into a spaceship, Yamato would likely be a better choice than one of the subs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Drum mags are pretty complex for what they are. In addition to weight, reloading, etc., they are comparatively fragile opposed to 'metal/plastic box', 'straight spring', and 'follower'. Just my basic-rear end STANAG magazines I have no problem with dropping them if I fumble them into the dump pouch or I don't have anywhere to put empties. I don't own a Beta-C, but the times I have fired one, you sure as gently caress weren't dropping it and slapping a new one in. There are a bunch of parts on that that I can only imagine how hosed they would be if you accidentally bent or cracked them.