Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

OutofSight posted:

male dwarf adept preferable swords instead of fisticuffs, codename Edgelord

Godspeed and good luck with the new thread, Kanfy.

(I really should finish the Dragonfall thread)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

KataraniSword posted:

Much like Dragonfall was an amazing showcase for the mage, and Returns was a good romping ground for a Decker/Rigger, I feel like Hong Kong is the home turf of the Physical Adept. Whether or not you dip into other archetypes is up to you, of course.

Let's go with a female Dwarf adept, of any given real name you wish, but with a street name of Taz, because things are about to get Looney Tunes in here.

:bandwagon:

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
Okay, but, I was browsing the Dragonfall thread a bit and noticed a comment around about part 16, way back in 2018:

Ratoslov posted:

One of the things about Toxics that was mentioned in one of the books (and never followed up on because it's stupid) is that you can also make a Toxic environment through human misery, rather than pollution. The example given was that particularly banal cube farm could cause toxic background count. Of course, if you think about it, that'd mean that every sweatshop and slum in the world would be Toxic and the whole world would be overrun in short order.

I'm having a little bit of trouble holding in my :allears:. Going to be curious to see what longtime SR thread watchers make of the setup and overall arc of the game.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Holding in your :allears: is part of the thread rules so try to hang in there.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I'm going to abstain from voting but I'll cheerfully thank the devs for making the physical adapt a much more fun choice this time around. If you're playing along at home you may want to try a ridiculous troll adapt build.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

By popular demand posted:

I'm going to abstain from voting but I'll cheerfully thank the devs for making the physical adapt a much more fun choice this time around. If you're playing along at home you may want to try a ridiculous troll adapt build.

Can confirm troll physad is the best thing in this game

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

Male Troll

Cyberware focused Street Samurai

“Zipper”

Nothing like a 7 ft tall hunk of flesh that also is made of knives. Even better if he’s the party’s tank!

For real, though; cyberware in this game is FUN. I downloaded a mod called Vox Populi (basically a remix/remastering of the original Returns campaign) and went hog wild with my cybered up Street Sam. I really need to install this game again just so I can play with that mod.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
I finally decided on a vote since I'll be missing glory this time around. Anything that lets you get up and personal with giant claws is AOK in my book.

Negative_Earth
Apr 18, 2002

BeiiN AlL ii CaN B
Voting PhysAd, and am leaning toward Dwarf over Troll because of remembering hitting a racial limit (maybe CHA) when I did.

And I also backed this on kickstarter, so I got some of the fancy rewards. Here's one of them: a panorama wallpaper featuring a brief timeline of the universe up to 2055:

There's also the other half of the wallpaper, featuring a slang dictionary. Also a map, which features locations that may be spoilery at this point.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Some flavor of Adept, as we are in Adept Town.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Troll Punchwoman Adept

Enough with this Dwarf stuff, consider how hard you can punch things as both a Troll (15 possible Str!) and an Awakened Chi magician. Could sink a battlecruiser with your fists.

Seriously, strongly consider it over the dwarf version which will still be fun but not quite as intimidating.

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Dec 8, 2020

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
If it matters, the Hong Kong crew includes the following combinations:

Ork Male
Ork Female
Dwarf Female
Human Male

And the following archetypes:

Street Samurai
Shaman
Decker
Rigger

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Troll Strength-build anything is kind of ridiculous here. There's just so much karma.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
You absolute madman.

:munch:

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010
Troll.

Either Physical Adept or bioware and cyber-spur street samurai. The later is probably more fun than the former, I mean it's just a slaughterhouse, but I understand a lot of people want to see the Adept.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Male troll adept who is known as Three Body Problem because when he hits people no one can predict where they'll end up (aside from "potentially everywhere")

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
Does Villain Antagonist fit in the name space?

Female Dwarf Adept is my suggestion.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Male troll adept

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

KataraniSword posted:

Let's go with a female Dwarf adept, of any given real name you wish, but with a street name of Taz, because things are about to get Looney Tunes in here.
Same, but fermale Troll adept with a street name of Taz.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Dec 9, 2020

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

human
Female
adept - focus on cyberweapons
Samantha Watts
street name: junior

It will end with the forgotten bastard child of where it all began.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

It’s a Taz-mania!

KataraniSword posted:

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015
Without a vacation first?
Can't complain.
Vote: Last name's Black, because of a very minor spoiler.
Buildwise, as long we melee (or whip!), we cool. (How viable is a gun adept?)

quote:

While I mentioned this game having had its fair share of bugs, one that it was spared from was the stat-inflating difficulty one that reared its head in the last two games, so we'll be playing on Hard this time. Very Hard was retired for some reason. But you know... we had like zero game overs in the previous LP and I know people love seeing blood, so why not spice things up a bit more this time?
Well, the bug's still here - dunno if it still does the "inflate every save", but if an ally joins you mid - mission, you'll see that their stats are better than normal, only for that mission.

Gun Jam fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Dec 9, 2020

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
brutally gamebreaking in tt in certain editions, meh in other editions and in these games

Barry Soteriology
Mar 1, 2020
im just happy to be along for the ride, so I dont have any real preferences for the main character. just whatever lets kanfy showcase the game the most, I guess. never got to play this one so im excited to follow along from the beginning.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

jesus christ Kanfy take a break or something

not that I'm complaining

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Gun Jam posted:

Buildwise, as long we melee (or whip!), we cool. (How viable is a gun adept?)

Not. Adepts in the Returns games are wuxia heroes, not John Woo heroes. Punching and swords are the name of the game. An adept with a gun is just a shaman without a totem or the ability to help allies, really.

In tabletop, there's absolutely John Woo options, though.

habeasdorkus posted:

Enough with this Dwarf stuff, consider how hard you can punch things as both a Troll (15 possible Str!) and an Awakened Chi magician. Could sink a battlecruiser with your fists.

Seriously, strongly consider it over the dwarf version which will still be fun but not quite as intimidating.

11 Willpower and 12 Strength versus 9 Willpower and 15 Strength means that it's mostly defense (avoiding hits, reducing damage) vs offense (soaking hits and making big numbers pop up) in a max-stats game. The 11 Body Max vs 17 Body Max is far more notable, considering you're going to be wading into the middle of combat a lot.

None of that actually matters unless you're practically drowning in Karma though, this game starts you at roughly the same baseline as the other two games.

That said, if there's enough support for a Troll over a Dwarf, I certainly don't care enough to rock the boat. :shrug:

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

PMush Perfect posted:

Same, but fermale Troll adept with a street name of Taz.

This one! Glad to be here early Kanfy!

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

KataraniSword posted:

11 Willpower and 12 Strength versus 9 Willpower and 15 Strength means that it's mostly defense (avoiding hits, reducing damage) vs offense (soaking hits and making big numbers pop up) in a max-stats game. The 11 Body Max vs 17 Body Max is far more notable, considering you're going to be wading into the middle of combat a lot.

Yeah, there's also something nice about being able to take a hit from a battlecruiser's main guns before tearing it apart with your fists.

I'm hardly gonna be sad with the Dwarf Adept if we go that way.

Natty Ninefingers
Feb 17, 2011
eh why not. troll adept

cardinale
Jul 11, 2016

PMush Perfect posted:

Same, but female Troll adept with a street name of Taz.
:same:

Kanfy you madman

Veotax
May 16, 2006

KataraniSword posted:

I really want to see an adept, so I'm voting this!

venom3053000
Dec 29, 2013
Male Troll adept

A big old beat stick sounds fun

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Adept named Taz, is the correct answer.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Mar 23, 2021

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

nabo
Oct 23, 2010

KataraniSword posted:

:bandwagon: but consider adding some points into cyberaffinity for maximum hilarity

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

I am extremely excited to meet all of our party members. On the whole I think I like them very slightly more than the crew from Dragonfall. Glory and Eiger and Deitrich and Blutz were all great, but this game has a great cast.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

nabo posted:

:bandwagon: but consider adding some points into cyberaffinity for maximum hilarity

Cyberaffinity with Adept is indeed loving loonytunes.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

habeasdorkus posted:

I am extremely excited to meet all of our party members. On the whole I think I like them very slightly more than the crew from Dragonfall. Glory and Eiger and Deitrich and Blutz were all great, but this game has a great cast.

i hipe you bring em into funny places

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

The shaman in this game is my favorite Shadowrun NPC ever.

Edit: I really hope when he gets the chance, Kanfy chooses "Go ahead, there's no one here but us." It's such a small dialogue choice but it feels so important for something that never really gets brought up again.