Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Kanfy posted:

You also can't unequip the hand razors and they override your normal fists, so depending on what you're doing it might be actively undesirable to start with them.
But they are a lot better than the normal fists. Also they don't need to be activated and the action you waste doing that could be better spent eviscerating.

I once played a troll adept with claws in pen and paper and that was fun. Picked up the Smashing Blow power for double base damage against barriers. Hello steel door. Goodbye steel door.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

paragon1 posted:

That spell bounce is a real rude surprise if you don't realize it can do friendly fire.
Especially if you stand on a spot with two bounces. And your party is clustered together. And you used a high damage high -ap spell. That was a short fight and a quick reload.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Kobal2 posted:

C'mon, you're being paranoid.
Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

One of my friends has tried both Entromancy and Cyberpunk as Shadowrun substitutes and liked both. Since he played them both this last year I haven't been able to join in to try myself.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Keldulas posted:

(Plus if you already know the code, you can technically get the karma anyways since I'm pretty sure it doesn't change)
Ah, the ol' vampire hacking skill. :drac:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

What about spider spirits?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Not quite as bad as that, swords had decent accuracy and adepts could increase it a little and by quite a bit if you had the splat books and actually read through the slog of rules. But a baseball bat had an accuracy of 3 meaning you could only ever roll 3 successes on the attack with it. Which meant if an opponent got 3 successes on their defense roll you wouldn't hit them. Being super average and taking a parry/block action would, statistically, make you immune to any streetsam with a bat because they couldn't increase the limit (unless they had yet another splatbook).

The limits were an interesting but ultimately stupid idea. Either they were too low so something was useless or they'd be high and easily stacked further they might as well not be there. Naturally the best weapons also had high accuracy on top of everything else so it only served to punish you further for not picking the optimal option every time.

Poil fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Feb 11, 2021

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Yeah Shadowrun is one of the worst systems to play Shadowrun in. :v:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

Or they're prisoners which, y'know, aren't actually people.
Not volunteering for a blood sacrifice is a crime punishable by death.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I guess there is a reason why he is alone all the way out here and not in the whaoompa loompa district or whatever they called it with everyone else.

Leave Gobbet... I guess?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Cool, I didn't know it was a real place but it retrospect that should have been obvious. I suspect it's a lot greener and nicer than the Shadowrun version.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

paragon1 posted:

RE: the land use stuff mentioned earlier, corps absolutely care about that sort of thing. After all, if you're a AA or AAA that's not just your land, it's legally your country. Buying more land legally expands your borders. But they're also corporations so what they want is PROFITABLE land. And what makes places like Wahmpoa valuable isn't the location or some resource, but the people there.

Combine the trouble of establishing land ownership after devastating world plagues, state collapse, major natural disasters, and the internet exploding with likely high local resistance; then you get a picture of why the corps often tend to let organized communities of squatters like this one be.

Relatively speaking, everyone's always loving with everyone else a little bit. That's just business.
In this case pissing off an organized community of deckers might be a stupendously poor idea and cost astronomical sums of money fixing what they're going to do computer systems and company secrets.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I once played a pen and paper runner with addiction to both novacoke and alcohol. He took a break in the middle of a gunfight to save an expensive bottle from being shot to pieces full. Fortunately no one in the group, me included, could be bothered trying to figure out the addiction rules so he didn't suffer too badly from his lifestyle. Although most runners probably don't need to worry about long term prospects even without a heavy drug addiction. :v:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

achtungnight posted:

Or maybe he’s just a fanboy and not a real Red Samurai. Is there traffic in Renraku trophies or surplus on the black market?
I suspect that a Red Samurai poser would need to be extremely good to avoid the copyright infringement charges. :v:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Also she would need to be interested enough to bother before plopping it in her mouth. How many people astrally perceive their food for metahuman flesh anyway?

Poil fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jun 1, 2021

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Printer companies really fit in with the whole corporate dystopia theme of the game.

Imagine trying to print something in shadowrun. Utter hopeless despair. Unless you're a decker, technomancer or demolitions expert.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

FoolyCharged posted:

Speaking of military boondoggle getting fixed, is the f-35 capable of flight yet?
If you involve a catapult and use a very broad definition of "flight", sure. But is it really made to actually fly missions? Isn't it more the grand daddy of grift projects?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I don't know

Kraken, because they live under the sea. :v:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

My guess is that he considered himself as independent big shot boss. Possibly being "under the radar" until he managed to establish himself enough. I think that fits with how scared he got when Kindly revealed she knew absolutely everything about his activities.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Hwurmp posted:

combine them into one that's a deadly weapon and a deadly weapon
Or a very work of art.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I also used Gaichu a lot, both because I liked him and of course I enjoy melee and didn't want to be the only one in front. Granted my troll adept with cyber claws was slightly better at tearing through enemies like a rampaging cybered up bear. But I don't remember at all what I did about the stances. :v:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

But in 5th they decided to fix that! By changing how it worked if you had access to magic (or resonance) so every single time you decided to cast a spell you had to make a roll to see if the drain was doubled or not. So instead of "just" two rolls for every spell you needed to make three, because everyone loves excessive rolling. Strangely enough it replaced the extra essence cost of ware so it didn't affect your ability to cyber up a little bit and did nothing to make it less optimal for adepts to spend one essence (effectively one magic) on ware that would have been 2+ magic with powers. :downs:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

habeasdorkus posted:

I feel like if everyone at the table knew every rule exactly and what their dice pools were off the top of their head the dice rolling wouldn't be as bad because they'd move fast. But with a normal group just starting out it's gonna end up extending things a lot.
I'm not sure if it's even possible for one person to know every rule that well, for a whole table it would be completely impossible.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Yeah, no worries. It's not like there is a time limit before a dragon comes to burninate everyone. :v:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Is NetCat the one who likes toasters?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Also Gobbet is clearly a running disaster.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Fighting Trousers posted:

When you keep experiencing Total Team Kills every ten minutes, the problem might be you.

(jk love you Gobbet)
No, she definitely is the problem. But I absolutely still want her around. :v:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

In pen and paper tabletop there is, theoretically, no limit to the amount of magic a character can have. You can just keep doing initiations and increase magic, but it is quickly going to cost such ridiculous amounts of karma that it is never going to reach bonkers levels. For example an adept is never realistically going to get enough magical armor to become immune to bullets.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

KataraniSword posted:

So what you're telling me is that I can have 20 dicks and still be functional but once I get that 21st I turn into a cyberzombie.
More if you get alphaware dicks, even more with betaware dicks and deltaware dicks of course. Twice as many with gammaware dicks.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

The Lone Badger posted:

He could still use braille or something.
Or if it's written in something alive enough to have, or recently had, an aura.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I wish we could have recruited Ku Feng into our party. :drac:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

On the Discworld A.E. Pessimal the accountant is one of the most feared members of the Ankh-Morpork city watch. And the competition for that involves Detritus the troll who carries a modified siege crossbow that once removed the front gate of a castle in one shot.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Strictly speaking you can get cyberware as a mage or adept and if you want to optimize it is the better choice to make. You can get the bioware equivalent of wired reflexes, which is quite expensive, at a good rating for 1 essence which makes you lose 1 magic. Which isn't bad. Especially when you consider that taking the equivalent in adept powers costs 2-3 magic.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Vampires increasing their essence is kinda not very accepted in most places however. They lose one essence, minimum, every month and they have a special drain essence power they use to take essence from others. If a vampire assaults you and drains 4 essence from you it's like if you got 4 essence worth of ware. You're super extra screwed if you are/were a mage. Victims can get addicted to essence draining and vampire going above their 6 limit risks them doing it as well, or it increases the risk I can't remember exactly. Naturally they also need to drink metahuman blood daily (that doesn't cause essence loss at least). :drac:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

MJ12 posted:

True, but most vampire active powers kinda suck so 1 essence loss/month is about where you'd expect it to be and there are enough awful people in the world of Shadowrun that you could drain one of them every few months without being particularly worse than your average shadowrunner.

As to essence drain addiction, that's also something you can mitigate if you have decent edge and good mental attributes (and since you're probably a mage, adept, or mystic adept, you'll want those anyways).
You can just drain 1 essence from a new victim each month and never get anywhere near killing someone. The vast majority of people won't be noticeably affected by that. :drac:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I can't really fault Is0bel too much considering, but it is such a decker thing not to have any kind of preparation for if the power goes out.

Also: WHERE ARE THE NOODLES COMING FROM?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

we should borrow the noodle machine for our own use
Gobbet might end up worshipping the thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I always assumed different staff as well.

Maybe the catering was an attempt to break The Curse of The Noodle Extruder?