Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
I like the Female Dwarf physical adept, I'm going to suggest the Dwarf appropriate real name of Cara Steele and the street name of Mithril.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

PMush Perfect posted:

Female troll, last portrait in this row, because that family resemblance with Duncan is uncanny.

:hmmyes:

Edit: Let's go with Ling Black , because the idea of a troll adept with a name that means "dainty" is loving hilarious.

Switching away from Female Dwarf to this. Female Troll, Ling Black, last portrait in this row

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Honestly I never really felt like Duncan was a dick, his cold demeanour to you at first is entirely understandable given how your disappearance looked from his end. And his general attitude being lousy felt like a deeply normal reaction to the fact that he's now stuck in a situation he hates.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
8. If its your first run, your Johnson will betray you. It's tradition.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Honestly, you get so much Karma in these games that there's very little downside to just being your own decker if you want one, unless you're doing a build that requires massive karma investment. Even if you're doing Mage or Shaman, you lose one spell slot in the mid-late game from that 0.5 essence loss, but you can recover that with cyber affinity anyway.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Josef bugman posted:

I'd heard that a lot of the "oh it's a crime riddled slum" thing was overblown? Like they didn't let police in and it wasn't exactly a great place to live, but it was not that much worse than many other places. It's just that it was considered "ugly and makes us look bad" that it was torn down, not out of any humanitarian concern for the people living inside it.

Like a lot of things, it's problematic to generalise too far in one direction or another. There were periods in time where the Walled City was more firmly under the control of the triads, and times when it was more in control of the residents, and crime naturally correlated with that. "Crime riddled slum" is probably an accurate descriptor overall, insofar as any slum is plagued by issues of criminal exploitation and corruption. "not that much worse than many other places" is also probably true, as long as the other places we're talking about are other slums, and arguably the fact that city residents had access to utilities made it better than many other slums elsewhere in the world. Compared to a normal low-income neighbourhood in a developed country, though, I'd still think the quality of life in the Walled City was significantly worse, redardless of whether it was demolished for that reason or not.

It's a strange thing, the Walled City. I'd never want to live there, and nobody deserved to have to live there, but in many ways I think it's possibly the most interesting physical thing humans have ever built. How many tombs to old kings are there, how many castles and palaces, how many skyscrapers? But just one of these.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Kobal2 posted:

I guess the vagueness of "crime" is the issue here. It's not like there was a friendly neighbourhood cannibal assigned to each floor, or aggressive organ harvesting operations, or Fansadox-style sex slave markets slash torture dungeons and whatnot. Nothing as spectacularly depraved as that. But more mundane things like drugs ? "Which and how much" was the only question asked. Prostitution, gambling, home brewed hooch, sure. Knock-off manufacturing of just about anything.

All of that side by side with an unsurprisingly tight-knit community because adversity builds support networks ; and it's not like you can live almost inside the living room of thirteen other families without getting to know them quite a bit.

True. That said, I do think that sometimes people fall into the trap of forgetting that those mundane things really do have victims. A triad-run den where you can buy opium or heroin isn't the same thing as a marijuana dispensary or a healthcare-provided safe injection site. An organised crime-controlled brothel in a slum is still almost certainly full of women being sexually exploited, and in many cases actual sex slaves, even if there's no, uh, "Fansadox-style" market. Where those things are more pronounced, there are still more victims.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

MadDogMike posted:

Also I wonder how it survived VITAS historically in-setting, you'd think a super-plague would clear that overcrowding REAL fast, especially with no dedicated body disposal.

For what its worth, this game will have an explanation for that, later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

raverrn posted:

In universe it'd probably just be slang'd as "H" or "the H".

I can imagine living in this universe and quietly seething to anyone who'll listen that it should have been called "the V" instead.