Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Male troll adept

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

RabidWeasel posted:

Male troll portrait 4 because "magic bishonen troll samurai" sounds like a laugh

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

We were just heading to fight in the martial-arts tournament.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

All of the Hong Kong companions are the best character.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

A blindfolded mage can only cast spells on themselves, which helps at least.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

5. Conserve ammo
6. Choose your friends carefully
7. Never cut a deal with a dragon

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

One thing I'm unclear of with BitD - if I mark off some gear slots to turn them into a grappling hook, do I continue to have a grappling hook for the rest of the mission? Or is it all now 'expended'?.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

You don't become a Runner if there isn't something broken about you.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

And if you somehow manage to enter the shadows without any mental issues, some will be provided for you within the first year or so.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

MagusofStars posted:

Yeah, but that was in an army unit where there's all sorts of politics and bureaucracy that keeps you from straight up dumping his rear end.

I feel like an actual shadowrunning crew would identify this sort of idiot wannabe in about 90 seconds, then deal with the situation before he becomes a liability.

Unless they're Connected enough that having them die anywhere in your general vicinity would result in a Large Pile Of poo poo, so you have to try and shepherd them along and keep them safe and entertained until you find some other sucker to palm them off to.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

SIGSEGV posted:

The IJN was known for introducing recruits to (relatively, compared to hinterland areas) good food, I don't think those would qualify.

Since white rice was more prestigious than brown rice, a bunch of IJN sailors ended up with malnutrition.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

RabidWeasel posted:

Like... they knew about scurvy, right?

The IJN figured out the rice issue around the 1880s and fixed it. However the IJN and the IJA hated each other, so the army kept getting beriberi for a while yet.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

'Kindly Cheng' is an excellent name. Pretty much tells you everything you need to know about her, right upfront.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Insect spirits don't want to live there either.
(this sounds like a joke but I would consider it the actual answer)

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Kobal2 posted:

Yeah, she's pretty good at the whole win-win thing, isn't she ? Like with us. We're either assets who can do what they're told competently enough for real work (who are under her thumb for good so much cheaper than paying real runners), or we're goodwill tokens to the HKPF and/or whoever's organized the massacre, possibly coming in a number of bags each no bigger than a breadbox.

She's got absolutely nothing to lose playing with our skins - the "loss of face" thing covers Nightjar's crew exclusively, not us.

I mean it wasn't zero-cost for her, she had to spend some favours organising the burning of our SINs. But she ran the odds and decided a wager was in her favour.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

For unclear reasons, nuclear weapons also gently caress up the astral something chronic.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

By popular demand posted:

I have no trouble believing that, FASA dropped the ball almost every step of the way.

It's CGL now. And 'dropping the ball' is a massive understatement for what CGL's been up to the last few editions.

Possibly 'set the ball on fire then spiked it into a wood-chipper' ?

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Feb 10, 2021

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

It turns out 'how to fix deckers' was a very simple question all along: give them grenade launchers.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

JT Jag posted:

There's also more mundane explanations for Lau's situation than him being a secret spirit or something. Well, mundane for this setting. Maybe he's a human who grew up poor in this part of town, made it big with one of the local corporations because of his likely magical talent, and could afford a leonization.

Good plastic surgery is a couple orders of magnitude cheaper than leonisation.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Most doctors today use robotic limbs to do surgery with.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

bewilderment posted:

I guess it's jumping to conclusions but "the victim was killed instantly/painlessly, then the corpse was mutilated afterwards" means that even without foreknowledge it seems pretty clear to me that this is some kind of professional assassin only pretending to be a wild beast or freak, seems odd that the party hasn't suggested it.

They seem to be very particular and specific about the flaying though, not just hacking away with a knife for a bit and calling it good.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Stroth posted:

No, quite the opposite really

They didn't want the skin, but they did want the skin off. They weren't just slashing away they were doing a proper job of it.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Once you've tried BTLs a few times, actual-reality starts feeling like a lovely low-res trid show. It just doesn't seem real anymore, like life is the dream and only in BTL are you awake.

Many deckers, incidentally, use hotsim to give them an edge. It works! You see more clearly, react faster. The downside is that decking becomes highly addivtive.

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Apr 27, 2021

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

citybeatnik posted:

I wonder how much the shaman Elder's just full of poo poo considering Essence drain and all thst.

He's talking like a Technomancer, but AFAIK they don't exist yet. He's probably doing conventional tech/decking and talking about it in mystic terms.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

Is it possible to magically or technologically overclock one's brain and nervous system so that everyday reality is augmented to BTL levels?

Sounds like the sort of thing that would result in the player character finding a series of journal entries scattered around your home / basement lab.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

"Don't do drugs, you might get possessed by an evil tree" is admittedly a direction DARE didn't take.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I always figured novacoke was like 'victory gin' or soykaf: a lovely synthetic substitute since you can't get the real stuff anymore.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

K10 aka 'Blood of Kali' is the ultimate combat stimulant. Half the test subjects died of heart-explody. The other half died from the wounds they suffered during their rampage - but not until AFTER it wore off.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

A troll adept on K-10 must be a hell of a sight.

Not as nasty as, say, a bear shifter adeot.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Cargo carrier looks suitable

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

High-grade material + armour + Renraku markings is a somewhat alarming combination.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

It should be noted that most Red Samurai use guns like everyone else. It's just that a few start taking the unit name too seriously and start using their ceremonial katanas as major weapons.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Except for the ones that are there purely as red herrings in order to distract people.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Jothan posted:

...your backup drive.

Your backup drive deletes itself if it loses power.

Your backup drive.

One weird trick to make sure people can't find mycrimes.txt !

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

And if she has to skip town it's one less source of information for people trying to track her down.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Alacron posted:

NO
Goddammit Taz. :cripes:

Cannibalism is eating your own species. That was human flesh, and Taz is a troll.

Ghouls are generally kill-on-sight everywhere, because they're usually near-mindless predators and also carriers of a highly infectious and highly dangerous disease.

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jun 1, 2021

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

bob dobbs is dead posted:

makes determining speciation for nonsexual species a gently caress but otherwise works well. prolly kept it into the sixth world why not

Goblinization fucks it up a bit. Two humans can have a kid that can't have kids with humans.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

GhostStalker posted:

Dunkelzahn’s Will includes a huge nuyen reward if anyone is able to come up with a viable vat grown solution to the ghoul feeding problem. No one has as of yet been able to collect.

Growing metahuman flesh in a vat is easy, but it doesn't actually satiate a ghoul's hunger because what they're really feeding on is the traces of the person's essence left in the flesh. If it was never a person then there was never any essence in the first place, and it does nothing.

Alacron posted:

Wait, wasn't the streetdoc in Kreuzbasar feeding ghouls? I may be forgetting but I thought he was using synthetic or vat grown body parts?

He was using dead patients and the bits he cut off live patients (if you get a cyberarm installed he'll dispose of your old arm for you.)

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Asamundo is also a ready buyer for sla... convicted criminals awaiting execution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Stroth posted:

Shadowrunners have a high tolerance for creepy/weird poo poo when it comes to their teammates.

You aren't in this life if there isn't something wrong with you.