Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I'm voting for Male Troll, and I'd like to note that while I'm voting for Troll, this portrait should have been up for voting regardless.

You can pretend the bandanna is covering up some horns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

pumpinglemma posted:

...Wait, there's an extended edition? And it came out two months after I finished the original? Ah poo poo, here we go again.

If you have your save file it literally carries on from your ending.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Trying to do a 'subdue everything you can' run is technically possible but not worth the effort. However, going down the Nonlethal Duncan route is still a really fun playstyle that combos well with other party members (especially a Physical Adept) and there are other party members who also are good at doing AP damage so he's pretty well supported.

With certain party member builds it can be both viable and entertaining to do a 'full melee' mission.

bewilderment fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Dec 19, 2020

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Yeah, it's cool that Duncan and other party members has got a talent tree that represents the side of his life he's embracing.

It's also nice that time to time some party member skills are relevant outside of combat and decking. There's a particular incident I'm thinking of where you ask "[Partymember], what do you think about this?" and they'll solve a check for you.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

The most important rule of playing Shadowrun is mostly that the actual Shadowrun system sucks for playing Shadowrun. There's very good reasons these games don't use it!

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

habeasdorkus posted:

Blades in the Dark.

Yeah, the Runners in the Shadows hack for it is meant to be decent.

For those unfamiliar with Blades and other 'Forged in the Dark' games, the point is that you get to skip over the 'planning phase' of any heist/run. Instead you just declare what your load is (light/medium/heavy) and the starting point of your run (e.g. if you're breaking into a mansion, your starting point is sneaking in through the Foyer). Then if you find out you actually need to climb up to some rafters, you can say "Good thing I brought my grappling hook and rope in my load" and just mark that off. Get stabbed? "Luckily I planned ahead and am wearing armor."

Similarly if you run into opposition you can expend some Stress points to flashback to a time when resolving the challenge would be easier. Cracking a combination lock while the guards are on their way might be a 'Desperate Limited' roll requiring multiple rolls that you just don't have. Flashing back to ambushing a lone clerk who knows the code to the lock the night before in an alley might be a 'Risky Great' roll instead where you get the combo right away.
You can even be playing a character type like the Spider and your entire contribution to the heist is flashbacks and you never actually go onsite at all.

--

Alternatively the other way to play Shadowrun is to just accept that office complexes and corporate facilities are just futuristic dungeons and just whip out your favourite edition of DnD or a similar game. Rename bows to 'guns', a '+1 sword' is instead a 'cybersword' or whatever, and replace the entire mess that is decking with 'proficiency in thieves tools/Disable Device/etc' and you're done.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Whybird posted:

The system to use for this is Strike!, since DnD is also not a good system for anything except feeling like DnD.

While in agreement I didn't want to start tg-drama about whatever people's feelings were about DnD in an LP thread based on an entirely different game.

wiegieman posted:

I also don't like how Blades kicks you while you're down -- it does a very good job of selling the feeling that you're a crew of hard-scrabbling thieves clawing your way up into relevance... I just don't like that feeling.

Interestingly, once a playgroup understands how to game the Stress system it starts to become the opposite and it's actually very hard to get any consequences to 'stick'.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

The Lone Badger posted:

One thing I'm unclear of with BitD - if I mark off some gear slots to turn them into a grappling hook, do I continue to have a grappling hook for the rest of the mission? Or is it all now 'expended'?.

Yeah, once you officially 'have' your grappling hook and mark off that much load it occupies, then it stays occupied by that. The reason you wouldn't just pick 'heavy load' every time is that it explicitly makes you look like you're geared up even to a casual observer; not the best choice for infiltrating a party.

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

I thought half the fun of Shadowrun was coming up with some elaborate heist plan and seeing if it survives contact with your GM.

Basically BitD replicates that part of a heist movie where the plan is described as you see the actual characters doing it.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Yeah, the question is on how much the GM actually prepared the run.

If they prepared whole building layouts with floorplans and specific defenses... that's a lot of work! It's literally level design! So not only is that not only for everyone, but there's always the chance your players thought of some certain thing to do that bypasses your hours of hard work.

On the extreme other end you have a GM who's quick enough to improvise anything... in which case having a big 'intricate planning' scene between all the PCs is essentially just character work and fluff. Which some players appreciate and some don't if they think all their plans are pointless and don't matter.

The natural happy medium is having a couple of set expected challenge with some ideas for improv if things go wrong, but it's a very difficult balance to strike as a GM.

Hence why games with 'flashback' or 'preparation' stats like Night's Black Agents or Blades in the Dark are popular recently, as giving the players the ability to improvise back with "uhh yeah I totally planned for this and so I learned the frequency to disable the alarm earlier" helps with the back-and-forth.

And all this without getting into the actual rules of Shadowrun, just the playstyle.

bewilderment fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jan 3, 2021

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

No vote from me but I'll note that there's plenty of times in SRHK where you genuinely don't need a decker and so there's no particular advantage in leaving Is0bel behind; the risk is that you often have to make a guess beforehand on whether that'll be true or not.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I haven't been keeping track, is it possible to mess up your stats and party sufficiently such that you have to go lethal?

I know in later missions, they give you nonlethal options but despite your best efforts, if you've got the wrong build then it's time to start the shooting and stabbing.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Kobal2 posted:

Someone's gotta pay, it's the troll way.

Regardless of other choices made, Shin Black was canonically raised as an orphan by Raymond Black in Seattle and then in prison for several years, so any 'troll culture' they have is a choice rather than something they were really raised in.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

The interesting thing about Racter, relative to the other party members, is that his intelligence is a character trait that's useful to solving problems.

Like, in the same way that Gobbet can offer her opinion as a shaman in terms of analysing magical phenomena, Racter can sometimes offer his opinion as someone skilled in most of the hard sciences.

So if you're trying to cover your bases on a mission and you really want to take Gobbet and Is0bel for magic and decking, Racter makes a decent heavy hitter. Koschei tends to not quite be as useful as Duncan, but Duncan tends to not be as useful in conversation.

Koschei is still fun to use though and I enjoyed using it.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I feel like Racter's stuff definitely worked when I played the game. At least the extra AP and movement.

I guess it's jumping to conclusions but "the victim was killed instantly/painlessly, then the corpse was mutilated afterwards" means that even without foreknowledge it seems pretty clear to me that this is some kind of professional assassin only pretending to be a wild beast or freak, seems odd that the party hasn't suggested it.

bewilderment fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Apr 25, 2021

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I've played, but Kanfy's commitment to detail and optional dialogue means I'm seeing/remembering stuff I didn't pay much attention to before or didn't properly get. The entirety of Whampoa's structure is something that my brain somehow just didn't 'get' the first time through but now it seems pretty straightforward.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I don't remember the actual crime motive so this is genuine speculation:

Seems to me like the killer (who's clearly highly trained and equipped) was paid somehow to kill Magpie, then kept on killing when they were stiffed on payment.

If that's the case then the deadbeat can't be someone already dead (because they can't pay). If it's one of the Elders responsible then it means they're hoping Shin Black kills the murderer before the murderer can talk and say who hired them.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

MagusofStars posted:

How is the disease that makes people ghouls transmitted? Is it airborne so Taz and the crew are at risk from our new ghoul bro? Or is it something like you get it from being bitten by a ghoul which hopefully Gaichu is going to stay well fed enough to avoid?

Bites or ingesting fluids. Gaichu presumably has a story to tell about how he got the way he is.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

It's funny that nobody in the party brings up Racter apparently being an expert in serial killer methods as well as just not batting an eye at any of the gross gore.

I bet he knew what that meat was too.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

In the Epilogue there's a couple of missions you can kinda run full melee with melee PC, Gaichu, Racter with melee-spec Koschei, and full-nonlethal Duncan. It's pretty entertaining but I'm not sure how viable it is with the difficulty up.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I assume that against the HKPF Gaichu was doing some Predator strike-from-the-shadows stuff and wasn't literally in pitched battle for most of it.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

argosaxelcaos posted:

And just like that, Racter sprints towards the number one spot in the best companion list.

E: Also, Lucky Strike back in Berlin gave Rosa a lot of poo poo for not being sufficiently anarchist in the running of her team (i.e: Having a chain of command in the field, which anarchism explicitly does not forbid), and then turns around and wants to kill Racter for ending their partnership. Nice double standard Lucky, and I say that as an anarchist wannabe

I assume he basically left with no warning, possibly even with runs they'd already planned. Breaking a deal without warning is pretty rude - Shadowrunners expect to be dicked around and ghosted by the people ghosting them, not by their teammates.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

JustJeff88 posted:

In later D&D, by which I mean 3e and beyond, I wanted to play a bard because I liked how they could do a bit of everything. Didn't work out that way, though.

Although in 5e they really are close to being the best at everything, thanks to their class feature of nabbing spells from other classes and adding them to their list while also being just as good at non-combat as rogues.

In the tabletop space in general though there has been some attempts at trying to make hybrids work better in similar games. The most successful approach has been the 'class feat' model where you get a signature ability of another class/type, potentially at a slightly weaker level but otherwise keep your normal progression. For example, being able to go into a berserker rage once per day (instead of as often as a regular one), but otherwise still being a full ranger or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

You didn't need to change the character's name - as listed on page 3 of the thread, Shin Black is already an existing instant noodle variety. It's literally why Shin Black is named that in this LP.

It's the slightly smoother and fancier version of regular Shin Ramyun.