Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Troll Strength-build anything is kind of ridiculous here. There's just so much karma.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
I can attest that dipping into Charisma is actually useful in combat for several reasons really. I wanted to do a Throwing Weapons Troll, but also wanted charisma due to the eternal thing of the main character needing to do all the speech checks. So I just combined it and found that there's a lot in the charisma skills that are nice for general use. The Lightning Barrier spell (why use everyone's AP to run to cover at the start of a fight when I can just make some for everyone), Haste as always (basically banking AP for myself if I didn't want to move for any reason), and the Armor spell got moved to Conjuring too. And then the snake totem bonus for bonus damage and accuracy.

I originally intended on exploring Chi Casting a bit, but never ended up doing it. So he ended up being a minor talent shaman that chose to primarily rely on throwing knives at people with a force harder than gunfire. Very effective and honestly felt thematically awesome.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Having now seen Isobel in action, she's basically the primary reason why being a Decker feels pointless. She has custom weapons which always seemed to be strong for any point in the game, and I never encountered problems with her Decking.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Why does it need to spot them? Just spray everywhere.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009

FH_Meta posted:

Mana combat spells need fairly direct visual contact (or an equivalent in Astral) to actually do anything to anything. Physical Combat spells don't, but they do need to be aimed like actual physical weapons do. And at a distance like that, even a few degrees off in LEO means that even the biggest, strongest AoE spell is likely to miss. Or hit something else that was in route and you didn't see so it detonates on something else. Potentially of your own or or of somebody that you didn't want to attack.

I meant that the Drone can just give the place a thin coat of paint if you're having one mess with the fiber optics.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
The problem with that is that it's really guesswork as to whether leaving the Decker behind is the case. And given that money is problematic, it's a risk with real consequence.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
The big problem with not bringing Izzie along and bringing someone else... is the lack of point to bring someone else. That other person isn't going to get you more money with their inclusion, and unlike Blitz, Izzie actually has good weapons and good combat ability.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
I'm personally looking forward to seeing the dialogue of the party members we haven't seen yet. The ones we met already were basically my default party going through this. I wish I knew about Duncan's zip-tie ability, my Shuriken troll had a habit of accidentally stunning clusters of people sometimes.

For whatever reason, I'm really bad about using the party member's specific abilities in general in the Shadowrun Returns games. Like, I did Blitz's mission, he tells me about this neat new special ability he gets, then I subsequently forget he has by the next mission and never used it. It's something about the interface or my personal dumbassery, but I keep missing people's abilities (I never used Gobbet's poison cloud either on that same principle).

I guess I'd also like to know if I was missing anything big from the other party members too, because I was seriously unimpressed with them mechanics-wise.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Ah sorry, I wasn't actually intending on asking about the unmet characters abilities right now, but looking back at my comment, it certainly looks like I am. Whoops.

The weird thing is that I don't even remember seeing Poison Fog's on Gobbet's ability list at all. I can't really explain it, I used her like all the time but like Duncan's take-down, I was just never even aware of it. Hence my comment about personal derping.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
This mission illustrates very neatly a lot of things. It's a good showcase of the neighbourhood and the people that you just got dropped head-first into.

And it's also a mechanical showcase as to why not bringing Isobel to places is generally a bad idea. We lost 270 nuyen by not bringing her this time. Now, we got a karma in exchange since this was specifically set up to be Gobbet OR Isobel, but you can be sure that's not going to be the case most of the time.

(Plus if you already know the code, you can technically get the karma anyways since I'm pretty sure it doesn't change)

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
And Isobel already showing off why bringing her is always a good idea. I swear her offense is better than Duncan's, and the only thing Duncan has over her is a later upgrade and AP damage. Now, that isn't nothing, for sure, but that grenade launcher is really silly.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
And that explains why I didn't really end up using Racter. I don't think I noticed the specific working/not working, but I would've felt something seriously wrong with how he functioned.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Yeah..... I never liked using Gaichu in combat. I feel like they WAY undershot his stats for what his introduction apparently has him doing.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009

girl dick energy posted:

I'm genuinely surprised Is0bel isn't more upset about this outcome. I know there was no love lost between the groups, but drat.

Honestly Is0bel’s statement on that outcome doesn’t make full sense to me. The sentence at the end about them having a lot to learn about dealing with shadowrunners really sounds like she’s talking about still-alive elders.

It just doesn’t fully fit

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
We also don’t have cyberarms that you can buy secondhand for like $1000 in real life so….

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
The Shadowlands board is seriously one of my favourite parts of SR: HK. It's just the right mix of serious, goofy, and 'what the hell?'

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
That's quitter talk, obviously he has a cannon in his leg.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
So Gaichu’s mess of undocumented information does explain why I was never impressed with actually using him.

It doesn’t help that I was a strength-focused troll, which is inevitably going to make Gaichu look really bad in comparison.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
I'm glad it completely didn't matter I missed it, since I wasn't melee. Troll throwing is similar but not the same in the important way there.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
It's funny to me that Gobbet was glued to my party for a lot of the game and yet I only apparently used half her kit. This stuff about spirits is completely new to me.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009

Stroth posted:

Look closer, that was newspeak. The anchor didn't say scientists say the don't have animosity to metahumans, she said scientists have never found proof they have animosity to metahumans. Now, two questions: How the gently caress would you check that in the first place? And who the gently caress is going to fly into the middle of an intelligent category five hurricane with magical powers that may or may not be actively trying to kill you to do the checking? And you do have to fly into it. Awakened typhoons don't make landfall. They're fully aware that kills storms and are normally quite happy to hang around just offshore where they can feed from the ocean and storm on the ground dwellers.

Which is why most shadowrunners love the things. Days or even weeks of horrific unbroken storm weather means every big system grinds to a halt and breaks down. You know what's easier than hitting a secure office? Hitting a secure office where the power's out, all communications are down, everyone's starving, and the security team has been on shift for ninety loving hours straight because their next shift can't get to the building. This is right about the point in the cycle where suppliers triple their prices, runners stockpile supplies, and fixers line up every job they can get. The folks on shadowlands were not joking at all when they mentioned "high operational tempo" and "running season"

That's all very interesting additional context, thanks.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Personally I like that money is scarce in this title, simply because it makes a lot of sense to me. Kindly did a lot of work up front for you so that you’d even survive the initial events, the idea that she’s garnishing your wages in effect makes sense.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
For the non-Blitz companions, I’m thinking that Dietrich is super-dead and Eiger probably went down too. However I’d think that Glory survived simply because ‘rescue the children’ feels more canon for her route and I’d think she was out of the line of fire due to hunting for Harrow.

Though in terms of what feels like more canon, Blitz loving up things with his girlfriend feels more right, too.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
I do think that DMS is one of those things that merely pales in hindsight. On its own, it was a reasonable offering, albeit hampered by some jank moments. Being a solid supporting structure to build upon is still pretty good.

However, I do agree that Hong Kong had done things fantastically. Counter-intuitively, it means that I can't actually play it anymore :/. The events of my run just feel 'complete', and canon for me. So going back to redo it feels incredibly off to me. I'm glad for the LP, since it lets me see alternative results to the content.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
The problem I had with the goop shotguns at the end of DMS is that they are just really mathematically awkward. Always having to take 3 shots to take down a bug is just annoying, and things turn really repetitive in those tunnels down there as a result. Though really the entire ending section is just kind of janky in general.

I feel the earlier part of DMS is what actually shows off the competent structure that Shadowrun Returns is able to use later in the sequels, or hell even in the custom campaigns people made. Despite its own jank, I found Nightmare Harvest to be a really good use of it for example.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
I'm glad I got to see this, because I was all boring and sensible and thought 'bringing a ghoul to a socialite party isn't a smart move'. It isn't, but it's a lot funnier.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Chalk up another reason why Isobel gets glued into a lot of party setups. Getting up to the apartment is an essential mission part, with getting into the party being completely optional. However, the waiter there is essentially a penalty for not bringing her, being either a 500 or 250 funds dip to make use of him (other than the alternative of simply being too poor). Hence, you can't fail to get the door code from him. The funds thing only gets worse considering that without her you're not getting that paydata either, so it's a bit of a compounding problem.

Add that combined funds deficit with a blind player not knowing which runs will and won't have decker solutions, and yeah.....

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
The Chef pilot does sound like the best one to me, too.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
It'd be interesting if there was a SR:Returns game that took this idea to the logical extreme, and your decker never comes along in meatspace.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
I could see it working somewhat like that in some custom campaigns maybe, where the outside decker support are effectively map triggers.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

Invisible Inc.

Huh, you’re right. And I actually love that game too funny enough.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
I love this run because it's just so mundane. The idea of running into a supernatural being before they got their poo poo together and figured out how to really make it work for them is fantastic. And honestly, the relationship between the two of them is charmingly mundane once you get past their introduction.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
The message boards remain a treat. It's hilarious how Gobbet is committing gastrointestinal warfare on random runners accidentally.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Sucks to hear that there was such a bad mismatch between them. It makes sense, but it's still a pretty bad blunder.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009

ProfessorCirno posted:

And also, make magic way more weird and stop presenting it as a matter of holistic wholeness and soul connectivity, so that 'ware cutting you off from magic stops having such grotesque connotations. Dragonfall actually did this fairly well with Dietrich - his connection to his mentor spirit is going to loving kill him and pushes him into increasingly more dangerous stunts. You get the idea.

It's funny that Dragonfall actually did this twice, with Glory getting a bunch of cyberware to cut herself off from her own totem.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
This conversation sort of got this random idea from me, of 'essence donors'. Someone who plans on getting some cyberware basically putting up an ad for a vampire to pay for some essence before getting cyberware that would've cut off that amount of essence anyways.

Hey, that vampire is helping to pay for said surgery and ware!

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
I'd say that those guys weren't exactly part of the team yet....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009

Stroth posted:

To be fair she didn't so much kill them off as fail to save them from their own idiocy. Not quite the same thing.

Also: for all that she's a joker, and I'm pretty sure an actual teenager, she's also a terrifyingly powerful Shaman.

Yeah, it's kind of worth noting that her specialized spirit related powers are objectively pretty bonkers in terms of the Shadowrun universe. Spirits are meant to be powerhouses with only very specific solutions, and said application of solutions is still supposed to take effort. She can just banish/highjack them at will.