Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
This is the one game of the trio I've not played, so I'm really interested to see how this goes.

KataraniSword posted:

Let's go with a female Dwarf adept, of any given real name you wish, but with a street name of Taz, because things are about to get Looney Tunes in here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Female dwarf, portrait 4.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

FH_Meta posted:

What we did was help a friend.

This.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Bring Is0bel, I think we could really use a local.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

PMush Perfect posted:

And here I thought the LP thread about the idealized anarchist state would be the more political one.

I'd argue that Dragonfall gave the developers confidence and experience in their writing. Hong Kong is them putting that experience and confidence to work.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

True, but it also establishes that if you're useful to her, she will overlook things. She's nothing if not pragmatic. I mean we still don't quite know what's going to happen to Bao, but it's clear that if she wanted him worse-than-dead it would have already happened.

Just don't overestimate how useful you are to her when you... take initiative, so to speak.

And I think in this case, it's in the PC's favor that it's not remotely clear yet what the hell went down or why. I think Chen is electing to move carefully with the PC right now, until such time as she gets a good grasp of precisely what kind of poo poo got dumped into her backyard and who dropped it.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

kaosdrachen posted:

And likely, once she's finished sorting out what's going on and how to deal with it, those two are going to be in a world of pain for it. Unless they make themselves very useful.

I think those two are relatively safe. At the end of the day, they were in the wrong place at the wrong time and Chen doesn't seem like the kind of person who kills over that. The PC and Duncan on the other hand...

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Space Kablooey posted:

I can't help but hope that the researcher's test strip went bad super quick because she was all messed up herself, and her fixes actually did a little something to help. :smith:

I dunno, this smells like Main Plot to me. That Kowloon being abnormally hosed up and awful even by Shadowrun standards and the clusterfuck at the docks and whatever Raymond was doing are all related.

I'm assuming that someone capable of turning the HKPD into their own private hit squad is going to be a pretty serious affair, if not quite the 'holy poo poo what the gently caress' of Monica's death and its implications at the beginning of Dragonfall when people just thought it was black ICE.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Well, we do have a shaman on the team. Gobbet's a rat shaman, so I suppose it seems logical (not knowing a whole lot about the setting) that rat spirits would manage better than most under these conditions.

I'm assuming that commandeering the HKPD takes some serious resources, probably the same kind of resources that would allow for deliberately loving up magic in Kowloon or profiting off of such.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Kobal2 posted:

The whole "immediately framed as national superterrorists & big cop PR person on the telly" thing implies there's more to it than that admittedly. *That* requires some actual boardroom muscle to swing.

So my guess for what's going on is this:

Megacorp is either causing something to gently caress up the magic in Kowloon, or is trying to use the hosed up state of magic in Kowloon to do something.

Raymond goes investigating in Hong Kong, either the megacorp or the hosed up state of magic.

Raymond realizes he's in way over his head and calls for the only people he can think of whom he trusts.

Megacorp realizes that Raymond knows something or is on his way to know something and moves to silence him.

PC and Duncan are loose ends that may know something of what Raymond was doing and must be silenced.

Triads and the shadowrunners are caught in the middle.

Sounds like a recipe for a good time!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Stroth posted:

Ignoring Aztechnology you mean? There's gonna a be at least a few in any major city. Any half decent Shaman can rig one up with minimal work. That's not just a normal cult though.

Boosting poo poo up until unawakened people in the general area start having Portent of Doom dreams? That's serious magic. Count the number of mortals who could pull it off on the entire planet on one hand kinda magic. "Time to skip town because this place isn't just going to hell, it might actually be going to hell" kinda magic.

Would all the feng shui stuff have something to do with it? Like, someone was specifically trying to set up an environment of such concentrated metahuman misery that Weird poo poo like this starts happening?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Stroth posted:

Technically possible, but honestly that’s the kind of idea where even the Azzies would probably shoot anyone who suggested it as too crazy to keep around.

(thinks back to APEX in Dragonfall)

(and Vauclair)

So you're saying that a megacorp is definitely behind this.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Last option.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Leave Gobbet, give the other folks a shot.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

bewilderment posted:

I guess it's jumping to conclusions but "the victim was killed instantly/painlessly, then the corpse was mutilated afterwards" means that even without foreknowledge it seems pretty clear to me that this is some kind of professional assassin only pretending to be a wild beast or freak, seems odd that the party hasn't suggested it.

My guess is something more magical in nature, a ritual purpose.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I played Dragonfall, but not Returns or Hong Kong.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
On the magical angle, are there shaman totems that would demand something like this?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I'm starting to wonder if an AI or severely borged-up individual is responsible for these killings. Would fit with the very clinical feel of the hits and the methodical mutilation.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

kaosdrachen posted:

You hire Shadowrunners for deniable ops where you can pretend you had nothing to do with it.

Renraku sends in the Red Samurai when they want to make it absolutely clear that yes, they're the ones who did this because they are very upset with the target and want to make it very clear that whatever the target did was not acceptable and had better not be repeated.

By anyone.

And suppose one of these lunatics gets ghouled...

Oh dear.

That kind of psychosis would also accord with the perfunctory sense of satisfaction the killer got, someone trained in that mindset probably would see it as just a job.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Broken Box posted:

Right, which makes me wonder what the hell they *thought* they were up against, because I doubt anyone would willingly go out against Red Samurai if they had a clue. Even if the individual members of the SWAT didn't know, someone must have realized they were wasting an asset.

As has been brought up, they probably thought they were going ghoul hunting.

Would these Red Samurai bozos tolerate one of their own becoming a ghoul?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I'm not dismissing the ghouled samurai idea (lone survivor of a team?) because it begs the question: if this is a Red Samurai operation, then why the secrecy and what the hell did the Whampoa do? It sounds like the Red Samurai are not sent in when Renraku wants to keep things discrete, and they sound like the kind of people that Kindly Chen would probably be aware of if they were conducting operations in her area.

Of course, the other option is that the killer is someone or something nasty enough to whack a Red Samurai or team thereof, which is a whole other kettle of fish...

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Ghoul samurai dude, called it.

Him being a party member, however... that one surprises me.

I picked up SR: Hong Kong because of this LP, but I'm going to avoid playing ahead of where the LP gets.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Stroth posted:

Also "Why the gently caress do you have an assault cannon?"

We were hired to do some feng shui adjustment on an office building.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

By popular demand posted:

Which corporation is most likely to have an 'all in one combination fax, printer and autonomous turret' as a flagship product?
Because I could definitely see a machine that you can't actually smash with a baseball bat as a thing in the 6th world.

Probably one of the Japanese corps. In real life, Japanese corps still really loving love their fax machines.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Poil posted:

If you involve a catapult and use a very broad definition of "flight", sure. But is it really made to actually fly missions? Isn't it more the grand daddy of grift projects?

Nah. In all seriousness it's actually working fine as a plane now. Yes, it was a huge and very successful grift project. But as a plane it's also been basically successful and is now operational, it just hasn't seen much use yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Is0bel, Gobbet, Duncan