Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Some flavor of Adept, as we are in Adept Town.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Getting viable material for a ritual is pretty hard, it decays fast. Even if you bleed all over an Aztechnology facility they can still only use it for a few hours. They might be able to freeze it, but that's not reliable and it only slows down the decay.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

No matter what distance you do it from, casting a spell on someone leaves your astral signature on them. It's not hard for another mage (or even someone with the right equipment) to follow that back if they move fast (within hours.) You can erase a signature, but you have to be on site to do it.

So: the cleanup crew coming in to assess damage from your run probably won't chase your mage down from their signature, because it's already faded by the time they arrive, or you helped it along, or both. The on-site mages responding to a long-range assassination will.

wiegieman fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Dec 30, 2020

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

System Metternich posted:

Is it possible for mages to curse someone with an unforeseen heart attack that will kill the victim in their sleep or something? I.e. an attack that's either not recognisable as such unless you're paranoid enough to check for astral signatures either way, or that even that isn't possible because between the hex and the death is enough time to let the signature fade away?

Not really. People can tell when there's magic happening. Even if you're not a mage, your hair stands on end and you know there's something spooky going on. More skillful magicians can hide this, but not when they do big spells.

Astral signatures last for an hour per Force of the spell, and that time starts counting after the spell has done its wok.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

The crunch is part of the point for Shadowrun. RiTS and other Blades style stuff goes too far in the other direction, I feel. I also don't like how Blades kicks you while you're down -- it does a very good job of selling the feeling that you're a crew of hard-scrabbling thieves clawing your way up into relevance... I just don't like that feeling.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Duncan is a Lone Star cop and being ready to hurt people at all times is a job requirement.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Kobal2 posted:

Really depends on the build (the companions are mostly self-sufficient although some benefit from the occasional handmedown or freebie) but melee weapon phys adepts are a lot more XP hungry than they are money hungry.

There's plenty for each archetype to spend money on.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

paragon1 posted:

Insect shamans can go toxic but it's blessedly super mega rare. They're all about unity and the whole above the self and the outlook of toxic spirits is pretty inimical to that.

It depends on the spirit. Some of the predator bug spirits get along quite well with humans because they have the same enemies, and don't even override their host.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

The HKPD answers to the highest bidder. They have no loyalty to anyone except kicking the poo poo out of whoever the FEZ council wants hurt and/or dead.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

As a side note, we know that we're not facing one of the big 10 because they have their own people for this kind of operation. The Hong Kong cops exist to muscle for the local A and AA corps (who in turn exist to act as cutouts and bagmen for the big players, no matter what they think of themselves) but they can't hold a candle to the likes of Firewatch or the Red Samurai. If those guys were involved, we'd be dead already.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Josef bugman posted:

So are Bee spirits bad?

Extremely.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Spider is a human's conception of Spiders - they're shaped by that belief, so they're a clever, patient, industrious schemer who cleans the world of vermin.

Invae are spirits shaped by the beliefs of insects. They're what an ant colony or a beehive believes in.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

FoolyCharged posted:

Should have taken the aspects of anasazi type spider beliefs imo.

There are multiple versions of the same totem. There's a Wolf who's a proud lone hunter, and there's a Wolf who is a fierce pack defender.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Xander77 posted:

On the one hand, I dread the torrent of opinions that is likely to erupt. On the other hand, you kinda have to explain.

You know how when people do work that you hire them to do, you pay them? Imagine if you didn't do that and spent all the money on house additions instead.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

kaosdrachen posted:

... And they're still active and operating.

Have you heard the good news about the Path of the Sun? It's Aztlan's state religion, and it involves regular blood sacrifices.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Kobal2 posted:

Right ! Therapy, schmerapy : hit someone hard and repeatedly enough that any internalized trauma or self-doubt of yours oozes out of *their* ears !

Reconciliation is for people without natural armor plating.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

apostateCourier posted:

It's not really something you achieve, in this case. Some elves just stop aging in their mid twenties.

They only stay immortal as long as they have enough magic to keep themselves from aging - in a high mana environment like the sixth world, it's just there. But in a downswing like the fifth world when the astral plane is far away, they need another way to get it.

You know what works great for getting a charge even in a low mana environment, provided you have the right tools, a little skill, and absolutely no morals? Blood Magic.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Dareon posted:

So what you're saying is Vlad Tepes was an elf.

No, he was a vampire. Vampires get their powers from consuming the Essence of others (or, more accurately, burning up their own Essence and replacing it with Essence they drain) and that works just fine in a low mana environment.

They also tend to be blood mages.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

There's a bounty on vampires, so it's typically not a dilemma at all.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Shen is a cool person who can also kill you with a toothpick.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

This run illustrates something I really like about SRHK, which is that all of your runners contribute something. They're not just along for the ride with the PC, they're solving the mystery too.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

GhostStalker posted:

Or maybe they just moved the station underground in the intervening decades? I think HK doesn’t have a station map like Dragonfall did with the U-bahn.

Not moved underground, but built over. The concrete just keeps going up and up, forever.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

The relationship between the Resonance realms and the wireless matrix is a little complicated, but they aren't a factor until the 4th edition timeline. People were just getting weird about tech for a while, they weren't actual technomancers yet.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

The richest of all can actually get their essence repaired. It's ruinously expensive, but when you're megacorp royalty and you buy and sell small countries, what does money matter anymore?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

I disagree with the people who say that HK's runs aren't as memorable as DF's, but I'm a sucker for a good murder mystery.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

What really sets corporate elite apart from the regular security grunts in the sixth world (besides higher stats and probably having Edge like a player) is that they're proactive, not reactive. Red Samurai or Firewatch will use the kind of offensive tactics that runners do - they won't blink at setting off explosives in public, for example.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Going nonlethal is just good business. The corp you hit last month is going to hire you to hit their competitor next month.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Zero Zone thinking is not "how many movable turrets should I cover this corridor with." It's "when intruders roll into cover here, the flamethrower traps spring open."

Runners are crazy, so they'll tool up and hit a Zero Zone anyway. It just means that MCT is setting a baseline of required violence to get into their secure areas.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Broken Box posted:

Surprised Gobbet doesn't sense more about the teriyaki long pork, you'd think she'd notice the lingering metahuman spiritual presence.

Astral reading is a pretty deliberate thing. Gobbet is a full magician so she can project her astral form, but she's Gobbet so she probably doesn't practice much.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Like all ghouls, Gaichu can astrally perceive. He can't see well enough to aim a gun, but he can throw at living beings with no problem.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Comrade Koba posted:

Cool, they made Elon Musk Big Yud an insufferable Silicon Valley techbro into a playable companion!

Is there a way to have Gaichu eat him? I'm willing to write the mod myself if there isn't.

Racter actually builds things himself.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

achtungnight posted:

I recall a legend about a deleted scene from one of the Terminator movies where they break into Skynet's core and find... drum roll... an HP printer hooked up to a drum of ink.

DUN DUN DUN DUH-DUN
P C LOAD LET-TER

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

The Pentagon Wars is not a particularly accurate movie. Of course a Bradley won't withstand getting hit by an AT weapon, they're meant to kill much heavier targets. Of course it's going to have a lot of development issues, all new vehicles do and the IFV is a new concept in the army at the time.

Later in its life, in the real world, the Bradley performed well against contemporary opponents. What more do you want out of a piece of equipment?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Xander77 posted:

Yeah, and the M-16 is a perfectly fine weapon, if you're picking it up in the 21st century.

It was good when it was introduced, too - when you put the right ammo through it. Yeah, m16s have problems when you don't properly gas them, film at eleven.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

F-35 has sort of failed in its original mission to be a ubiquitous LO f-16 replacement, but the plan seems to be to use sheer economy of scale to put LO strike fighters in the hangars of everyone in NATO.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

The Truth

The Dowager Empress

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

There's a reason why Duncan's lethal force tree is better than his nonlethal tree.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

The Viennese model of social housing is evidence that we can address the crisis of availability and affordability, while also giving people nice places to live:

The people with the power just don't want to.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Dareon posted:

That's the second time I've seen that reference, and it still mystifies me. I can't tell if it's insinuating that 30 bucks is too much or too little to pay for a haircut, primarily because I haven't used a professional haircare service for 25 years, and they only charged me $5 as a friend of the family.

It's insinuating that your haircut is cheap and looks bad because you're too poor to do better

And only a rich rear end in a top hat would say it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Also, BTL traffickers are goddamn monsters and need to be lined up on a wall and shot.