Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

apostateCourier posted:

Paranoid is better than dead, chummer.

OTOH, being a bit too eager about killing mages gets you attention and that attention can turn into Attention and then people whose Attention you have attracted might find your behaviour questionable.

Also any contamination such as rain or fire suppression fluids over the sample will make it decay and become useless within minutes, getting tracked down by genetics is a more serious threat in most cases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

apostateCourier posted:

...I'm talking about not holding back against mages who are trying to kill you, what do you think I'm talking about?

I meant it for players magdumping in downed mages after a fight, yeah, no one reasonable is gonna hold it against someone shooting people shooting fire and necrosis at them.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

The IJN was known for introducing recruits to (relatively, compared to hinterland areas) good food, I don't think those would qualify.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

That's wheat, not compressed sawdust and chocolate colored used industrial grease.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

It's amazing how many societies discovered ways to starve with the larder full.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

RabidWeasel posted:

Like... they knew about scurvy, right?

Actually scurvy has an interesting history, various people and organizations at various times figured out that fresh food was the cure and you have the lemon juice and so on.

And then the RN decided that lemons were from Sicily and weak and non British and that proper lime juice (a quarter of the vitamin C content) from British India was much better and stored it in copper containers that also degraded the vitamin C content. So basically the entire scurvy protection was gone, but at that time journeys were short enough that sailors got to eat fresh food in port and didn't suffer from it. Oops. There's a lot of very funny things, in that meaning of funny, that happened to antarctic expeditions that I'm too lazy to find, like recovering from scurvy by hunting and eating meat, then canning it to ward off pathogens and infections and then getting scurvy because the canning reduced the vitamin C intake.

The real cause of scurvy was only properly understood and verified in the 1920s-30s, I think.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

KWC itself has been razed and turned into a park, there's a couple things left for the historical value of one of the most extreme slums on the planet by a number of measures, but it's just a park now.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Oh, I was told to stay away from it and now I get why. I remember when I thought that 5th was a bit of a trash fire because the limits mechanic means a top of the line mystic adept with literally Excalibur, the actual legendary magical sword, couldn't damage a drunk and sleeping army grunt thanks to mechanic meant to prevent top of the line runners from popping heads from a kilometre away with a blunderbuss.

Also the technomancer shoving a sprite in the blunderbuss and not being stopped from popping heads a kilometre away despite being blind as a bat, having twitching hands and never having touched a firearm before.

(Also the godawful editing, basic combat at page 100 needs limits which are at page 360 sort of nonsense.)

SIGSEGV fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Feb 11, 2021

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Or maybe he's a spike baby elf whose parents were rich enough to get his ears "fixed" and is just playing with his old buddies.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Yeah, the impression I've gotten is that while Harlequin is a world-class dick the majority of the other IEs are straight-out monsters.

They run the Tir nations like they own the place, and they do (with the addition of another few assholes like the big worm), and the population hates the gently caress out of them, the IRA, not-elves and elves alike, has restarted activity to kick them out.

I'm pretty sure there's got to be some decent ones but they are apparently possessed of the power of not really being powerful assholes.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Well, they generally do, yes, except a lot slower, generally.

It makes non zero sense for a backup drive against a threat such as your deck eating poo poo when you slip coffee all over it, it makes less sense if the threat is a civil war or a cyberninja or a toxic free spirit.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Since astral perception is likened to something like a really fuzzy synesthetic experience of spiritual presences, but not material ones, and that outside of it ghouls are genuinely blind, such that our pal can't aim a gun, I wonder how good he's actually going to be at physical combat given that sight is also pretty important there.

That's just my round of "groan, hand to hand isn't that easy", just ignore it.

Also the proper way to bring around an assault cannon or recoilless rifle is to say "The big box? The boss's daughter found that the tankless water heater in her room was messing with her crystal alignments, we're bringing a solution to that." Works well enough.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Yeah, there the only risk is that the thermostat decides it is a god and then hijacks your body by hacking your cyberware or by spraying nanites through the fire suppression system to turn you into a disposable murder drone.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

She's an actress, voice actress and various other things, she's also a gigantic loving nerd, I say, as the bear trap clamps around my ankle.

Mystic adepts strike me as kinda hamstrung by their polyvalence, first, in order to properly use one, you need to pay out the nose for all the skills and attributes and so on, but once that is solved, somehow, after a long and distinguished shadowrunning career, you will still face the other devil, the action economy. You have more options but you can't use all of them. You can still absolutely be a perfect storm.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Depends on how recently he's fed, I don't think he's stable in our metaplane.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

There's a cybersensibility thing that exists, or existed but it turns out that in a points buy mode, people will take that on their magic users to min max a few more points out of them.

It doesn't really matter because essence used that way is a game development crutch to limit players and force a sort of specialization, while what we're implying is the more thematic Essence thing in cyberzombies and essence draining demons, where it's a crime against the humanity and the universe.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

He's the traumatic hallucinatory aftershock of an Ares Macrotech Enhanced Interrogation Technique BTL chip.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

I dont know posted:

All the corporate greed and government oppression. None of the cool cyberware or robodongs.

We don't have the cool cyberware, but we have the nightmarish body horror societal / legal interaction cyberware failures:

https://twitter.com/msbellows/status/1493657979140276225

https://spectrum.ieee.org/bionic-eye-obsolete

SIGSEGV fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Mar 22, 2022

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

I find the way shadowrun treats essence as a concept both very funny and bad, and embarrassingly granola (as a pejorative), furthermore, I feel that chrome murder machine vs magical murder machine is something that is more easily handled through the action economy, you can't shoot the minigun and shoot the fireball at the same time, and if you could (and you should, because it's cool as hell) the karma costs should be considerable. Bonus points, have players paid for their actions during a turn with attention points so that they have a max complexity per turn as well as max time usage per turn.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

They should be, and are, focus on a domain is generally better, so much better that the SR5e books even propose making a house rule to prevent overpigeonholing, removing essence (and potentially tacking a karma cost on learning and getting used to the implants) doesn't seem like it would impact that.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

It's really funny it came around to that because the original legend for vampires is really, really, really unsubtle.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Is0bel, Gaichu, Gobbet.

It's going to be fine.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

The decker tax is real and it would all be better if your decker could just be on the other side of a mobile phone that you plug in various things when not in the active party. Or you could have enough party slots to bring your whole crew, that could work too, but the game convention is that it doesn't work that way.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

The Silk Road and Alpha Bay got owned by a few accountants who realized that all the cool police investigation poo poo was getting nowhere and started just doing things the hard way. (The hard way was rebuilding the cryptocurrency ledgers in a legible way to see who extracted profit and endlessly googling all mentions of the sites to figure out the history of the spread of the news about them existing, and in both cases, both methods gave up the founders of both marketplaces and mutually confirmed each other. The hard, grinding way.)

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Use of RFID makes sense, guns chatting wirelessly with their own scopes and user comlink instead of using a cable on the gun and a cable through the sling, those are inexplicable.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Do note that the essence costs early on included pretty much everything, fake tits eat you soul. Getting a bone stapled back together does not however despite the fact that the same logic implies it should. It's embarrassing and genuinely bad in that new age way.

As it turns out, in real life, human brains love extending their body plan to incorporate tools, cars, swords, fretwork saws, planes, they just love it, that's not really relevant, what I do find relevant is that approach to game balance zooms right past the action economy which rules the balance of all things in a turn based game. I do understand why they made it so people would stick to the archetype, that is more defensible, every spellcaster having dermal armor and cyber-eyes was not part of the vision but I say it should be included instead as money just enables you to be better, the pain of the downtrodden is knowing that the CEO up there has bulletproof skin that looks, acts, and feels like real skin and they have a coat of brittle shingles because of the corrosive gas leaks.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

I can't believe I missed that and I'm just gonna quietly lmao at it in a corner.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

I don't think prosthesis eat your soul in Earthdawn, so I guess if you throw your cell phone away and poo poo in the wood you'll be fine.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Racter will probably actually enjoy this little trip.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Villiers also really fucks up the lives of his close underlings in incredibly vicious ways, so another match for Steve Jobs.

Does he become the idol and persona to copy for a healthcare technology scammer who will burn billions of nuyen? I don't know, I haven't really followed six ed since it's a bit of a mess, as a pejorative, unlike the rest of shadowrun which is a bit of a mess, but endearing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Obligatum VII posted:

But... what about chekov's clams?!

It's a spelling issue you see, Chekov's clams do not get fired, unlike Chekhov's, which are further served with butter and herbs.