Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

The guy who would eventually be imperial japan's naval commander-in-chief during WWII was reassigned from naval ministry on shore to a shipboard command earlier in his career partially to protect him from Army-backed assasination attempts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

He got significantly less powerful once put into a larger group, so that checks out too

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Essence is kind of a mess.

It was originally invented as a mechanical game balance thing so that players couldn't have magic and cyberware at the same time. Then it got put into the setting as a narrative thing, even though it isn't really in any of the cyberpunk stories Shadowrun's coming from and is also kind of against theme. Molly Millions is ruthless and cold for mundane human crapsack world reasons, then turns herself into a weapon in response. Shadowrun essence has the causality backwards, with bonus problematic implications ("You, the player playing this game, are less human if you have a prosthetic arm"). Some of the later changes in emphasis towards how augments would change everyday life are better, but it still doesn't make that much sense for "I have a cell phone built into my hand (and so do 99% of the people you interact with)" to be inherently alienating from human society, but "I am part of the 0.1% magical elite. With a twitch of thought, I can explode anyone in this room" isn't.

I think most people just completely ignore all the intrusive narrative parts unless you specifically want that character (Glory). Game balance expects that a street samurai character is going to use most of their essence budget, but nobody wants to have every cyberware character be the same dispassionate beep-boop meat robot. This game does that too; if we had made cyberware Taz running around with 0.5 essence left, it wouldn't be trying to enforce (and doesn't even really offer the options for) the personality the narrative says 0.5 essence implies.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Gun Jam posted:

Why, tho?
I mean:
"it's cyberpunk plus fantasy! dragons as CEOs, wizards and hackers work side by side!"
"Can I play a cyborg mage?"
"no"
Doesn't fit with the jive.
How is the game balance upset by that? Isn't needing to invest resources twice enough?

For :shadowrun: reasons, cyberware and magic use mostly different resources. Cyberware costs money & essence (either during a campaign, or at character creation by putting the 'Resources' category at a high priority to get a bigger 'you may start with equipment that costs up to X' limit). Magic wants high priority spent on your magic rating at character creation, and costs karma/xp during a campaign. After character creation, they don't compete with each other that directly; without essence, there's no mechanic stopping you from spending all your money on cyberware and all your karma on magic.

It would probably end up with most mildly optimized characters kind of homogonous. Everybody would want at least a little bit of magic and at least a little bit of cyberware. Forcing you to pick a niche leads towards everyone in the group having a specialty, the same way that D&D says "By default, a wizard can't cast a fireball while wearing plate mail and a hits-people-with-big-axes guy doesn't know how to backstab someone"

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

What I wonder is if HBS somehow missed the "I'll be back for you, vase"/"you go back there" intro/ending bookends and were surprised that people remembered the vase, or if something got cut