Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Rawkking posted:

Female troll adept named Taz

:emptyquote:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

resurgam40 posted:

So this is the opposite direction entirely, but I think I have to throw my hat in for the Ballistic Cloth Suit. Yes, I know the Securetech is more suitable and more cyberpunk, but daaamn.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

StillFullyTerrible posted:

a lot of these problems are feature creep caused by needing to justify your continued employment by adding new bells and whistles to an already serviceable product
simply continuing to sell the same product, occasionally updated to work with newer systems, would require a much smaller staff
so UIs are hosed with, features nobody wants are added, and project managers tell their bosses "look we got out a new version for the next financial quarter"
that's capitalism!

And bug fixing, making the code more maintainable, or even becoming more skilled as a developer don't count as things justifying future employment.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

Paper's pretty dead in Shadowrun, for better or for worse. So thankfully very few people have to deal with an Ares-HP Deskjet All In One Armored Printer or a MCT-Canon Color Printer Defense Turret Combo Device. I'm not sure they even sell that last one; I think they just make them for their Zero Zones.

FWIW I have had dealings with military-grade printers before. No defense turrets fortunately/sadly. But the Ares-HP Deskjet All In One Armored Printer description is surprisingly apt.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

I was gonna say something like "of COURSE there's military grade printers" but thinking for a second it makes sense. Plugging some loving plastic box on a classified network, which immediately goes ballistic making GBS threads out icmp packets the moment it can't connect to the public internet, with who-knows-what hardware/firmware in it and a driver package that tries its best to install a norton antivirus trial by any means necessary, seems like a sub-optimal plan. And that's before you get to the fact that someone has probably already demonstrated an attack that lets you recover all text being printed using a pie pan, a raspberry pi, and a metal coat hanger from 15 miles away using the stray EM waves from the ink level sensor in the magenta cartridge. Then there's the actual intelligence agencies.

So, sadly the ones I toughed weren't that developed. They were HP printers (from back when HP printers were the most durable) with a more robust power supply, the plastic casing pulled off, and everything stuck in a properly Milspec-grade box and painted military green. No network to connect to (or not anything that'd be recognizable to non-specialized malware) at least. My involvement was sending a regular patch disk/reimaging disk for all the s/w, because there was no internet at all touching these. So I was able to keep the bloat down too.

Probably there was a built from scratch for the military printer around somewhere, but I never saw that. Wouldn't want to see the price tag on it, for sure.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Seeing the world how it really is.

Defiance

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

achtungnight posted:

Fire solves all problems? Tell that to people in a certain area of California, see what sort of response you get.

I’d like to see what she says if you ask what point there was to that story. The proper response- “I like stories.” :D

I mean, part of the problem is that we aren't doing enough controlled burns and that we spent about a century blocking all the natural burns. Climate change is making our mismanagement more pressing, but an appropriate use of fire would in fact solve many of those problems.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Lynneth posted:

We live in the cyberpunk world. It's just the shittiest, most boring and least neon-coloured one.

Me, several years when I read REAMDE and realized it wasn't a thriller, it was cyberpunk with the serial numbers filed off. Except we don't even get that MMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Welcome back!