Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I gotta say, way to show off Tokko in a great light from the start. I never got it to do that kind of power but I also didn't play with the Ultimate Hell Enemies you are :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

If you want to see some real aeronautical insanity look for videos of planes landing at Kai Tak. You basically flew directly at a mountaintop and then hauled over in a hard right turn; if you had the runway in sight better hope you line up fast so you can put it down, otherwise go around and do it again. Not turning was not an option. And just to make it fun, no overshoots allowed, because then you're in the harbor. And it's a busy airport (peak was ~36 planes taking off or landing per hour) and because it was for a busy city, we're talking big jets, too.

Once you've landed of course, you might want to leave: Well, taking off was basically dodging mountains at 1600 feet, so a real thrill a minute ride in or out of that place.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

my 1.0 experience revolved around a piece of equipment being hilariously broken in the player's favor and it was amazing, so the ability issue we're all talking around was less of a problem.

but more on that when we get there.

...am I reinstalling this game right now, probably. Kanfy which patch are you using or would suggest? I'm seeing several community patches and different people's takes on community patches. I don't think I want the enemy to have unshackled AP but a good solid bugfix sounds good to me. I did a ctrl-f on 'patch' and didn't see you post but if you've linked it already, sorry for not seeing it.

Psion fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jan 24, 2021

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Ah, thank you. That's what i get for searching patch and not 'bugfix' i suppose!

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Kanfy posted:

The killer is... alive? Why would you leave him alive?!

For a laugh, mostly. You ever hog-tied a ghoul before? It's pretty fun.

[There is a long, silent moment as Ng looks at you with an expression caught somewhere between astonishment and horror.]

No. I can't imagine any world in which I would want to subdue a ghoul for fun.

See, there's your problem. Broaden your horizons, Ng!

ahahahah

I had no idea this dialogue was in the game. None. It's amazing. Thanks, Kanfy :allears:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Kanfy posted:

the two are extremely distinguishable from each other by their very slightly different word orders.

well I'm impressed at your attention to detail, because I never, ever caught that.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Kith posted:

The most important rule of combat is to geek the mage, and the mummy was very obviously a mage, so there's no other way that could've or should've ended. :shrug:

:hmmyes: someone gets it

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Probably the former. The mummy dimension punch is memorable when it happens.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Kanfy posted:

and have been including PRECISE NUMBERS since I'd like to see that kind of thing myself

I really appreciate these too. Seeing the actual numbers on why some of my level-up choices were really good and/or bad is really cool.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

habeasdorkus posted:

But evolution has produced the pistol shrimp, so can we really ignore the potential?!

how much to get a cyber-pistol shrimp arm scaled up to human size

I uh, no reason. Just curious.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

It's trivally easy to hand yourself unlimited nuyen if you want to go that route. My first run(s) through this game I was actually forced to care about upgrades which I think was a net positive, but eventually I wanted to see what unlimited power was like and that was fun too. The ingame console is easy to activate and there is, I think, a shortcut button which is literally Give Nuyen and you just click it as many times as you want.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

FoolyCharged posted:

Isn't that just shoving yourself full of +ap until you 1 turn the final boss? You can afford that on a normal playthrough.

well yeah you can do that too, but there's degrees to using those console buttons :v:

but what I mean more generally is they had three games to try three different economy balances and none of them really worked as a limiting factor until HK where they went with "fine. your fixer owns you so hard you get nothing, get OVER it" because in DF the Alice money sink which wasn't quite tuned right and SRR had ... I don't even know. weird payouts and a lot of hiring runners?

HK they put you in a scenario where it's plausible (if unfortunate for the characters) that you just don't get a lot. It's tough, but it fits thematically.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

I did appreciate the expanded pistol selection in HK, because among other things they added the revolvers. You can see the intent - high damage without letting you have cool special moves. I found those somewhat useful as a backup weapon and/or to really lean into the cowboy runner character archetype, though I don't know if I ever did that or just thought about it.

Psion fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jun 26, 2023

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

e: i already posted this, brain problems today

Psion fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jun 26, 2023

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Kanfy posted:

in the end we'll be party crashing with Gaichu, Is0bel and Gobbet,

this is gonna be great. Of course, I could say that about nearly every mission. :v:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Wonderslug posted:

I've always thought this was a brilliant-in-hindsight bit of foreshadowing because it's exactly like Ku Feng: trying to be aloof and mysterious, doesn't actually know what it's doing (if you compare it to an actual recording it's only Moonlight-Sonata-shaped even before the obvious mistake), fucks it up, desperately wings it.

this is a good post and you're totally right, imo

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Of course the PC and our crew are badass, otherwise this would be a very different game. genre constraints are just, well, what they are. the vast majority of characters, if you sum up everyone we've met, are not, though.

Lead out in cuffs posted:

The devs are based in Vancouver, which has an excellent food culture, especially for East and Southeast Asian food.

So yeah, it tracks.

HBS is Seattle, not Vancouver. The logic still probably stands, though.

Psion fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Sep 15, 2023

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Obligatum VII posted:

How can you possibly set up chekov's clams and have them not come up? I hope they somehow come up several missions down the line.

you put them in the vase from the Dragonfall intro, and then ...

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Turtle is probably a reference to Logo and I love it

also Logo was originally written in 1967 so for those of you turning into dust thinking about how old an Apple IIgs is, it gets worse :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Mindopali posted:

This being shadowrun, there's a good chance to see some more CEO's to be compared to our real-world CEO's.

I think the age of decadence (there's a screenshot LP on LP archive, I heavily recommend it), has a few to outline how bloodthirsty you can get. Apart from that though, none comes to mind.

ah, I can sing the praises of now-available-in-stores-again alpha protocol!

AP tracks a lot and how you approach missions (including whether or not you enjoy murderin') has effects in quite a few places