Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
I did it. I finally caught up with this thread after finding the Dragonfall LP in the archive a couple of weeks back.

Given Shin's mediocre combat abilities I think she can't put her finger on this, nor on anything else.

Also Big Texas, because what's the point of Shadowrun if you can't pick the stupid option?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
I had forgotten just how wordy this game is until now - the multiple updates Kanfy needs to get through the bits of between-mission dialogue really drives it home.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

Isobel, Gobbet, Duncan

The mission isn’t to cat-burgle the loot undetected leaving only a monogrammed calling card for the curator to discover the next morning; we need to make this look like a crude smash and grab. Racter and Gaichu simply can’t match Duncan and Gobbet for sheer levels of crudity.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

Hwurmp posted:

let backer OCs stay in the trashbin where they belong

It’s the character portraits I find the most jarring. Yes, sure, you’re a hardened career criminal who just happens to look like you dropped $2k on Funko pops last month.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

On the flip side, I was really disappointed to hear that Luca Duerr from Dragonfall apparently isn’t a backer character, because I hate that portrait so very, very much.

Sorry, but that is not a rising star of the illuminati, that is a loving web developer and active /r/incel poster.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

GhostStalker posted:

I thought something was missing, but I chalked it up to my eyes sliding off of the dialogue’s mention of the two texts as our retrieval goals and my brain just filling in something I remembered from when I played this run myself.

I also remember the gimmick of this particular run being a lot of fun.

Nearly all of the runs in Shadowrun HK have have some sort of fun gimmick, it’s one of the reasons it’s my favourite of the series.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

Well that explains why I was so underwhelmed with metal stance.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

JustJeff88 posted:

I'm sad that there's no mage in this game, PC or otherwise. They're my favourite.

The dragon lines make mages particularly hilarious.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

The thread lives!

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

The thread lives!

Also echoing that I like lifting the lid on what the skills actually do.

Beefeater1980 posted:

The chat between participants on Shadowlands BBS *is* Shadowrun to me. It’s 99% of the appeal of the splat books and among the best bits of the games.

Yeah it really isn’t cyberpunk without a bunch of pleasingly anachronistic usenet threads.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

Is0bel, Gaichu, Duncan, because I can’t think of a less appropriate group to bring for a low-key infiltration gig.

Shiawase cowl, because I’m a simpleton easily pleased by pouches.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I’ve been idly flicking through the old Numenera LP over the last few days and the difference in writing quality between that game and this is mindblowing. Harebrained Schemes becoming a viable dev studio has to be one of the best things to come out of the kickstarter gaming era (jfc that was over a decade ago :corsair:)

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

In-universe isn’t the Kowloon walled city we’ve seen in game the second walled city? So fitting Shadowrun’s general theme of ‘the 20th century happens all over again, only this time with dragons and cybernetics and poo poo’?

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

The Lone Badger posted:

… manasphere …

I read this aloud in my head and it’s a good job there’s no incel spirit

(Please tell me there’s no incel spirit)

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I think I picked Duncan when I played this through years ago, so I want to see what Racter does here.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

The vase was eventually shattered along with the rest of the flux state

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Oh, I didn't know the AoD guys put out a new game. Thought they were still mucking around with Dungeon Rats

Even though AoD had [body check] going the talky route seemed like a better option given how unfun combat could be at times

Their follow up game makes things even more rage inducing with a mechanic where skills increase based on how often you use them. So if talk yourself out of too many combats you’ll suddenly find yourself woefully underlevelled when one of the unavoidable fights rocks up!

(Unlike the poster above, I *really* do not recommend Colony Ship - it is a terrible game for a whole host of reasons)

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

Servetus posted:

Do they at least have random encounters/grinding areas?

You get one guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I do like short updates like this - really shows off just how much characterisation there is even in the small snippets of incidental dialogue. Really amazes me every time just how rich they managed to make the characters in these games.