Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
in the grim darkness of the near future, fursuit tech has made great leaps forward

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
racter's root beef with eugenics is that it's barking up the wrong tree. there's no amount of selective breeding you can do to give yourself an integrated machine gun. if there was, he might be on board, but it can't, so he's not interested

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
the fact they didn't make Leonization just straight-up "its vampirism minus a couple of the more obvious vampire side effects" was a real missed opportunity

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

NeverHelm posted:

That is what they did, though. The HMHVV thing mentioned before (well, one strain of it at least) is what causes vampirism (the first V is for "vampirism").

Sure, they aren't literally sucking you dry or anything, but most people who get it are corporate executives so they were already metaphorically doing that.

which is why the literally needing to do it would have been a good, also entertaining gag. congrats, we can give you... LEONIZATION! just, uh. come over for dinner. no reason

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
there are parts of Hong Kong that do not rise to the same level as Dragonfall. Gaichu is not one of them

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
every once in a while an RPG decides it's going to take a metaphor and run with it, and they've been kind enough to have Gaichu put his right on the table for you in that chain. between "yeah I was recruited to be a fascist street tough," "my training's philosophy was about Always Choose Death," and the fact he's a ghoul: gaichu is a man whose entire life was leading up to the glorious moment he could fulfill his death drive, and go out in glory on behalf of his masters and duty.

and then the moment came, and he lived instead.

the dead man walks, a violation of all the laws of god, man, and everything he personally had believed. and yet, somehow the world keeps turning.

we are beginning to suspect the laws were bullshit.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Kith posted:

To be fair, most of the characters from Dragonfall were confirmed to be super dead because of the Flux State's collapse.

and if there's one thing we know about Blitz, it's that his mistakes consistently get OTHER people killed

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

The Lone Badger posted:

Are you saying the collapse of the Flux State was Blitz's fault?

look, chief, how was he supposed to know that GreatGoldWyrm@sk.biz might not be on the level

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
Also the climax of the only actual shadowrun in the game features a sudden total collapse of QA. the bit where you talk to the VP after having been smuggled in as a janitor is written at 'enthusiastic teenager' level

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Xander77 posted:

Is that game good, btw? Seems like every LP of it on SA avoids the campaign like a plague, which seems like a warning sign.

game's good, campaign is even pretty good as a narrative! it's just that the campaign doesn't have much replay value and you're going to 'solve' the game strategically pretty fast in vanilla.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Kobal2 posted:

Yeah, pretty much. Also it's a bit repetitive without DLC ; but since DLC and mods exist, game v. good.

the gag behind the campaign is extremely good, too: it is a fully feudal story, with all instances of the word "magic" replaced with "technology," played completely straight. they never so much as wink at it, and it all flows naturally in-universe. you might need someone to point it out to notice that you have just done a quest for a wizard so he'll decipher a magic map for you, and that he has just told you to beware, for while the treasure is as great as legends say it is guarded by a terrible curse.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
gaichu is many things, but above all others, the man commits to the bit

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
to assense is the process of giving somebody a once-over with magesight or in the astral plane. you may recall it from back in Dragonfall, where an Awakened character can try to do this to the cyberzombie, and immediately need to pass a difficult Body check to not vomit and pass out.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

The Lone Badger posted:

Rat isn't actual rats, he's conceptual 'rats'. Rats as imprinted on the manasphere, mostly by humans.

that said, Conceptual Rats absolutely includes "eat everything, do not give a poo poo"

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
an important detail on Adversary that you can miss in Dragonfall is that Harrow is only sort of an Adversary shaman

Shamanism is a two way street, and as totems shape humans, humans can shape totems. there is a phenomenon called Toxic Shamans, who have twisted their totem's ideals into something that is entirely counter to what they're usually about. the Adversary is about rebellion against the Man. yes, he seduces, yes, he manipulates, yes, he knows he's doing right when they call him the bad guy. but when you use the power of the Throne-Breaker to build yourself a throne, you are tapping something into something that's on the Adversary's "dies screaming for mercy that will not come" list.

if you say 'better to rule in hell than serve in heaven' the Adversary is coming at you, very fast, smiling widely, white-hot flame trailing from his fists, at precisely word three. spoilers for the previous game: there is a reason Glory gets some of her shamanic powers back if she kills the motherfucker.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Stroth posted:

To be fair she didn't so much kill them off as fail to save them from their own idiocy. Not quite the same thing.

Also: for all that she's a joker, and I'm pretty sure an actual teenager, she's also a terrifyingly powerful Shaman.

Rat has a soft spot for awful garbage children

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
the noodles are traditional. no further questions