Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Shageletic posted:

The first year and a half kinda sucks in NYC, then you find your niche

I think that’s what Patty Hearst said about being a hostage, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Haramstufe Rot posted:

Like, you can fault me for not spending my time in new hip coffee houses somewhere in New Jersey, but tbh if your hotel is next to Time Square, are you just going to refuse to go there even once?

YES

The coolest thing about NYC is that it serves as a reaching goal of every weirdo creatively inclined person in America. Those that managed to hang on, tend to do so now in the outer boros bc gently caress Manhattan rent.

The village is still cool tho. LES can be fun when you're young. Some good Jewish delis above 14th street. Can't forget Chinatown.

Ah gently caress I'm hungry now

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Mar 16, 2021

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I think that’s what Patty Hearst said about being a hostage, too.

Lol

E: you want to have Stocholm syndrome in NYC, there's Toronto right there. It's a European's idea of NYC

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Do people in York ever think about New York?

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Shageletic posted:

YES

The coolest thing about NYC is that it serves as a reaching goal of every weirdo creatively inclined person in America. Those that managed to hang on, tend to do so now in the outer boros bc gently caress Manhattan rent.

The village is still cool tho. LES can be fun when you're young. Some good Jewish delis above 14th street. Can't forget Chinatown.

people poo poo on manhattan thinking of fidi or something but man I loved living in alphabet city. It was an absolute blast

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Ben Quebec posted:

It was an absolute blast

Project Manhattan

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Ben Quebec posted:

im a new yorker, have an apt in alphabet city (house in nj, the truest sign of a new yorker) and work in finance ama

Why not pretend to be from a better part of Canada?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

tin can made man posted:

Everything I hear about NYC makes it sound exactly like San Francisco but just, with 1.5x to 2x More buildings/piss/history/insert gripe or praise of us cities here

NYC and San Francisco are both alcoholics, but NYC is the guy who manages to hold down a job while getting blotto every night while San Francisco is the guy who's just constantly passing out and making GBS threads himself in the alley.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Some Guy From NY posted:

Even with the long commute, my quality of life has improved drastically. I have the high income of a job in NYC with cheaper expenses in PA.

I went to college in Philly, and everything in Philly seemed almost exactly like NYC but smaller and less expensive.

I still like living in NYC more, but visiting Philly with a NYC salary is fun as hell. A couple of years ago my friends and I went to a baseball game at Citizens Bank Park, and the beers were so cheap :keke:

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer

Ben Quebec posted:

people poo poo on manhattan thinking of fidi or something but man I loved living in alphabet city. It was an absolute blast

fidi also rules. it’s got some of the narrowest streets in the city.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

Head Bee Guy posted:

fidi also rules. it’s got some of the narrowest streets in the city.

and Go Go Curry, drat I miss that

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

Shageletic posted:

YES

Yeah, but there's tons of places all over the world full of weirdo creatively inclined people. And there's also a shitton of places with good food. I wonder whether tourists simply enjoy other aspects of NYC. For example, there's nowhere in the world where you have that kind of architecture (well okay Chicago maybe, but not in this cohesion). Perhaps that's hard to understand for NYC natives, but I feel like hip artsy boroughs are really not the unique feature of this city. But what do I know - in my next trip I'll be sure to venture everywhere that isn't Manhattan.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Welcome to Queens.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Haramstufe Rot posted:

Yeah, but there's tons of places all over the world full of weirdo creatively inclined people. And there's also a shitton of places with good food. I wonder whether tourists simply enjoy other aspects of NYC. For example, there's nowhere in the world where you have that kind of architecture (well okay Chicago maybe, but not in this cohesion). Perhaps that's hard to understand for NYC natives, but I feel like hip artsy boroughs are really not the unique feature of this city. But what do I know - in my next trip I'll be sure to venture everywhere that isn't Manhattan.

Try some good tourist stuff next time you're here, like go to a food mall in Flushing, or get Thai food in Elmhurst or Indian in Jackson Heights. Asian food trucks in Sunset park or hot dogs on the boardwalk of Coney Island. That's actually a pulsing living architecture that blows away the staid dead buildings hosting a bunch of embittered ad people who hate their jobs.

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Haramstufe Rot posted:

I live in outside of a rural town in the south island of New Zealand and the area is filled with weirdo creative types.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

New York. City of Apples.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica

numberoneposter posted:

New York. City of Apples.

Horse apples cause they don’t clean the horse poop from the carriages

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

Animal-Mother posted:

Do people in York ever think about New York?

People of York: what does it feel like to be replaced? How are you coping?

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

EEEEEEEEEYYYYYYY

AH BADAH BING

BADAH BOOM

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

FUHGETABOUTIT

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Babbabooey!!

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

Hello yes I would like to know who has the best slice in town.

Some Guy From NY
Dec 11, 2007
Once while walking down a street in Brooklyn, as I passed a bunch of middle aged Italian guys sitting outside a coffee shop, I overheard this;

"so I know a 70 year old guy who stabbed a 40 year old guy OVA' A DOLLA!"

a debt is a debt I guess...

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Prof. Crocodile posted:

Hello yes I would like to know who has the best slice in town.

New Park Pizza in Howard Beach

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

WFMU is good but that's Jersey City. During one of their pledge drives some guy pledged to donate every time Todd-o-phonic Todd called somebody a jagoff. Yo La Tengo Plays the Hits every year is fun, too

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
last time i was in NYC, before COVID, visiting a friend we went to see Sleep No More, then got really drunk and barhopped around manhattan doing blow in the bathrooms.

then we got halal at like 3am.

excellent time. would do again

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
*takes off hat, holds it to his chest and bows his head as he walks by the former site of the twin towers*

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Chinatown posted:

Sleep No More
The promo materials and reviews and stuff all said it was completely up to you where you went and what you saw so I broke off from the group at the earliest opportunity and immediately got lost, it was a good 15 minutes before I saw anyone again :v:

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

My Lovely Horse posted:

The promo materials and reviews and stuff all said it was completely up to you where you went and what you saw so I broke off from the group at the earliest opportunity and immediately got lost, it was a good 15 minutes before I saw anyone again :v:

lol i did this

i also had 2 pre-show cocktails and then had to pee really bad for like the last 45 minutes of the show.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
I've lived in NYC for 3.5 years now and I know it's the place for me bc every time I see someone who doesn't live here complain about it I'm like "good, gently caress you anyway don't come here"

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Brosnan posted:

I've lived in NYC for 3.5 years now and I know it's the place for me bc every time I see someone who doesn't live here complain about it I'm like "good, gently caress you anyway don't come here"

Conversely, people in NYC should stay there at all times because when they're anywhere else they cannot shut the gently caress up about the place they currently are not being exactly like NYC.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Can we hear about the bodegas again Brosnan? :allears:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

bodegas

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

I'm really sorry, your avatar is giving me a boner and while that is perfectly OK and I don't want to kink shame anyone, its making me feel really weird getting a boner in a Trump thread.

Sincerely,

Jailbrekr
I enjoyed Ugly Americans.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

WFMU is good but that's Jersey City. During one of their pledge drives some guy pledged to donate every time Todd-o-phonic Todd called somebody a jagoff. Yo La Tengo Plays the Hits every year is fun, too

Hell yeah!

It’s the best

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

Conversely, people in NYC should stay there at all times because when they're anywhere else they cannot shut the gently caress up about the place they currently are not being exactly like NYC.

People from NYC don't even realize they are in a containment zone set up by the rest of us. :getin:

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
come on, let's go to Union Pool and get laid

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Snowy posted:

Hell yeah!

It’s the best

:respek:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I moved to New York one month before covid hit and then I managed to catch it by March.