Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I've been playing Hyrule Warriors and thinking about the way the game uses standard enemies, which don't pose a threat, as a way of guiding the player to their goals. A lot of platformers use small collectibles to do the same thing, and even games like Dark Souls do it more subtly with item placements to tell a player if they've visited somewhere before. What are some of the coolest ways you've seen games do this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I like when the yellow dots or arrow show you were to go sir OP. And I love cwafting and upgwading.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
I like it when I go forward. FFX is the best game, ever.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Wormskull posted:

I like when the yellow dots or arrow show you were to go sir OP. And I love cwafting and upgwading.
I like when there's a compass with a big arrow that points to the icon on the mini map.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
It's very simple but I remember thinking it was really clever as a kid how in Donkey Kong Country, random bananas out on the edges of the screen would indicate that a jump would be safe, and not land you in a bottomless pit or something. Good way to work with the tight zoom those games had compared with a lot of other side scrollers

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

its not 100% the same but the way super metroid uses small environmental clues and out of reach platforms to keep you on the normal sequence is godlike. theres so much care taken in like every platform placement

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

CyberCrap 2077.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

I like when NPCs mention things off-hand like, "I heard there was treasure up around Big Hill Zone, but nobody's ever found it!"

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Wormskull posted:

CyberCrap 2077.

Oh I posted this in the wrong thread.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

I like when NPCs mention things off-hand like, "I heard there was treasure up around Big Hill Zone, but nobody's ever found it!"
Running into two NPCs in a random field staring at a cliff and saying something like "There's something shiny up there, but I can't reach it" so you search for a way around.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Fungah! posted:

its not 100% the same but the way super metroid uses small environmental clues and out of reach platforms to keep you on the normal sequence is godlike. theres so much care taken in like every platform placement
I wasn't thinking about this when I played it, but you're right. The Metroid games do a great job of making you remember very specific parts of levels. Metroid Prime does a ton of this.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Wormskull posted:

one thing I don't like is insider joke posting.

I've already called all the mods at home so get ready.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I like the things pawns in Dragon's Doge say but otherwise I usually hate hearing NPC chatter I think.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

A white wolf... 'twill be red soon enough!

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Wormskull posted:

Bones...walking bones!!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Pac-Man CE DX. It's all about figuring out optimal paths on the fly, and the game has a few different ways to quickly signal to players where to go: the dots, the the ghosts that follow you, and the fruit. It has to convey a lot of information in a fast and simple way, and it pulls it off well.

It's funny that after 40 years of video games a lot of developers still can't figure things like this out.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I remember when I first got my GBA on launch day in 2001 and a copy of Mario Advance 1 (SMB 2 USA) and I thought it was really lame they changed the first screen in the game (the one where you fall out of the door). I remember thinking "why did they change nothing in the game besides the first opening room? Are they trying to trick people into buying it thinking it's a new game if they only played it for a few seconds or saw it in screen shots?" until a much longer time later I realized it's different because that first "room", even in the original, was always an introduction to all the things you can do in the game, and the GBA one was different because they were showing off new stuff like huge enemies that give you hearts, platforms that bounce, etc.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

I remember when I first got my GBA on launch day in 2001 and a copy of Mario Advance 1 (SMB 2 USA) and I thought it was really lame they changed the first screen in the game (the one where you fall out of the door). I remember thinking "why did they change nothing in the game besides the first opening room? Are they trying to trick people into buying it thinking it's a new game if they only played it for a few seconds or saw it in screen shots?" until a much longer time later I realized it's different because that first "room", even in the original, was always an introduction to all the things you can do in the game, and the GBA one was different because they were showing off new stuff like huge enemies that give you hearts, platforms that bounce, etc.

My favourite use of breadcrumbs is when Hansel used them to save Gretel from your attempts to crack and modify her.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

mario odyssey was really good about this, using coins and other little clues to point you toward the moons

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Arrhythmia posted:

My favourite use of breadcrumbs is when Hansel used them to save Gretel from your attempts to crack and modify her.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

i also like the opposite, like in the old dragon quest games where they'd hide a lot of the map in caves and the only clue to go back for a treasure was seeing stairs when you hadn't taken every path, and boxes that had clues were usually empty or mimics

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

My favorite version of this is going to the Pub in a new town in a JRPG to find out where the nearest cavern is.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

one great, but subtle, use of breadcrumbs is when the zelda games provide a companion who screams where to go periodically like they're someone standing behind you when you're playing solitaire.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Getting a drop of a weapon type no one can use so you you realize there's another party member coming soon

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

mario odyssey was really good about this, using coins and other little clues to point you toward the moons
In Breath of the Wild if you just go from one shrine to the next visible one you always end up somewhere important. I found the Zora area by accident doing this.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

FactsAreUseless posted:

In Breath of the Wild if you just go from one shrine to the next visible one you always end up somewhere important. I found the Zora area by accident doing this.

the koroks are cool because eventually you can see some of the common set ups even from the big map, like rock circles and lines of trees.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Wormskull posted:

i like the tail is severed

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

the koroks are cool because eventually you can see some of the common set ups even from the big map, like rock circles and lines of trees.

Do you think they're all members of the same family? I need a family tree of all 900 Koroks.

Hizke
Feb 14, 2010

Wormskull posted:

I like the things pawns in Dragon's Doge say but otherwise I usually hate hearing NPC chatter I think.

Wormskull posted:

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I also liked it in A Link to the Past when you could tap your sword against a wall and if it sounded hollow it meant you could bomb it.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

FactsAreUseless posted:

the developers devised a "heirarchy of goals" when designing the world, so that while going from one important goal to another you'd keep getting tempted to go off course

there's a real cool translated summary of a talk the botw team did at a dev conference if you wanna know more about the design philosophy stuff and how the sausage was made.

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

I also liked it in A Link to the Past when you could tap your sword against a wall and if it sounded hollow it meant you could bomb it.
another fun similar one was in illusion of gaia, where when you were in front of something you could smash through, your hair would start animating like you were outside, from the breeze blowing through the cracks in the wall

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
in the Left 4 Dead commentary they explain that they realized players instinctively move toward light sources without realizing it, so they dimmed all the dead ends and wrong turns and basically made the critical path in every level a string of lights
so the reason you were probably able to rush through the large unfamiliar levels on your first play is you're basically a moth

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The Kins posted:

the developers devised a "heirarchy of goals" when designing the world, so that while going from one important goal to another you'd keep getting tempted to go off course

there's a real cool translated summary of a talk the botw team did at a dev conference if you wanna know more about the design philosophy stuff and how the sausage was made.
This kicks rear end

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
also, blowing up the barrels in doom so you know you've been there before

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

The Kins posted:

thats so loving cool

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

The Kins posted:

another fun similar one was in illusion of gaia, where when you were in front of something you could smash through, your hair would start animating like you were outside, from the breeze blowing through the cracks in the wall

One of my favorite parts of Illusion of Gaia (besides the whole game) was that weird area where you had to use a computer mouse arrow to point out the differences in 6 different rooms and the last two the difference was your hair was blowing.

What a great game

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The Kins posted:

loving awesome. i hope they put this kind of effort into the sequel

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Arrhythmia posted:

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

looking at a rock ledge streaked white with generations of bird poo poo, thinking "ah, so this is a climbable ledge"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hizke
Feb 14, 2010

FutonForensic posted:

looking at a rock ledge streaked white with generations of bird poo poo, thinking "ah, so this is a climbable ledge"

so youre looking at your lovely loving POSTS???? BIIIIIIITCH