Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I've been playing Hyrule Warriors and thinking about the way the game uses standard enemies, which don't pose a threat, as a way of guiding the player to their goals. A lot of platformers use small collectibles to do the same thing, and even games like Dark Souls do it more subtly with item placements to tell a player if they've visited somewhere before. What are some of the coolest ways you've seen games do this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Wormskull posted:

I like when the yellow dots or arrow show you were to go sir OP. And I love cwafting and upgwading.
I like when there's a compass with a big arrow that points to the icon on the mini map.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

I like when NPCs mention things off-hand like, "I heard there was treasure up around Big Hill Zone, but nobody's ever found it!"
Running into two NPCs in a random field staring at a cliff and saying something like "There's something shiny up there, but I can't reach it" so you search for a way around.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Fungah! posted:

its not 100% the same but the way super metroid uses small environmental clues and out of reach platforms to keep you on the normal sequence is godlike. theres so much care taken in like every platform placement
I wasn't thinking about this when I played it, but you're right. The Metroid games do a great job of making you remember very specific parts of levels. Metroid Prime does a ton of this.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Pac-Man CE DX. It's all about figuring out optimal paths on the fly, and the game has a few different ways to quickly signal to players where to go: the dots, the the ghosts that follow you, and the fruit. It has to convey a lot of information in a fast and simple way, and it pulls it off well.

It's funny that after 40 years of video games a lot of developers still can't figure things like this out.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

mario odyssey was really good about this, using coins and other little clues to point you toward the moons
In Breath of the Wild if you just go from one shrine to the next visible one you always end up somewhere important. I found the Zora area by accident doing this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The Kins posted:

the developers devised a "heirarchy of goals" when designing the world, so that while going from one important goal to another you'd keep getting tempted to go off course

there's a real cool translated summary of a talk the botw team did at a dev conference if you wanna know more about the design philosophy stuff and how the sausage was made.
This kicks rear end