Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Gaz-L posted:

Depends on the act, sometimes ice can be fun.

Insert Oglaf comic about the embodiment of Winter here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randabis
Apr 2, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
the new show is great but is a pale figment of the OG show.

Watch the OG show seriously even though new show is okay so far it’s not anything like the original one beyond copycat animation.

Randabis fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Mar 24, 2024

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

LividLiquid posted:

I mean, did you see that crop top?

The one that made all the clueless chuds performatively not remember the 90s so they could rage about Gambit being too gay now?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Randabis posted:

the new show is great but is a pale figment of the OG show.

Watch the OG show seriously even though new show is okay so far it’s not anything like the original one beyond copycat animation.

Can you elaborate? I just rewatched the original series recently and '97 feels like it's doing it fair justice so far. The only real complaint I have is the fakeout at the end of the first episode with Magneto acting all sinister about becoming the heir to Xavier's legacy when he actually intended to honor it all along, that was clearly just written that way to create a cliffhanger moment.

Randabis
Apr 2, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

McSpanky posted:

Can you elaborate? I just rewatched the original series recently and '97 feels like it's doing it fair justice so far. The only real complaint I have is the fakeout at the end of the first episode with Magneto acting all sinister about becoming the heir to Xavier's legacy when he actually intended to honor it all along, that was clearly just written that way to create a cliffhanger moment.

I think i might be jumping the gun a bit honestly.

I think it’s going to be difficult to give this a fair criticism until later in the season.

So far this is a good start but omg the 2 part opening of the original is like 3x better.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I had that on VHS, the version littered with obvious animation and dubbing errors.

The original show was cool, but even as a kid it was obviously many steps below DC's output in terms of quality. 97 fixes most of the problems it had, as far as I'm concerned its a better version of that show.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Mar 24, 2024

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

EC posted:

They got so close in Midnight Suns but didn't go all the way. A shame.

I've seen some posts on various social media that Bucky won't be in the next Cap movie, which seems insane after Falcon & Winter Soldier.

That can't be right. It would be absolutely mental to rip away the only thing that even counts as a supporting cast for Sam. Anthony Mackie is superb, but he needs a straight man to bounce off and the dynamic of these two all the way back to Civil War fighting for the attention of their boyfriend has been one of the best things in the MCU.

If Bucky is out then I'm suddenly very nervous for one of the upcoming films I actually gave a poo poo about.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Bucky's the lead in Thunderbolts so it's not that surprising

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Parkingtigers posted:

That can't be right. It would be absolutely mental to rip away the only thing that even counts as a supporting cast for Sam. Anthony Mackie is superb, but he needs a straight man to bounce off and the dynamic of these two all the way back to Civil War fighting for the attention of their boyfriend has been one of the best things in the MCU.

If Bucky is out then I'm suddenly very nervous for one of the upcoming films I actually gave a poo poo about.

I believe they're going with the new Falcon (you know, the one Latinx guy whose in the show for like 2 scenes and never gets the suit or anything?) and the Bradleys as the support crew for the film.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
It cuts into the significance of Sam being Captain America if he has to always have Bucky, who's older and more powerful than him, around.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

LividLiquid posted:

I mean, did you see that crop top?

The one that made all the clueless chuds performatively not remember the 90s so they could rage about Gambit being too gay now?

https://x.com/datadavetv/status/1770798644930740615?s=46&t=_t3R3O4inwGCyXxW88QslQ

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

show good!!!

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Show quite good!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Gambit was meant to come out as bi a decade ago but the execs put the kibbosh on it :(

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...

live with fruit posted:

It cuts into the significance of Sam being Captain America if he has to always have Bucky, who's older and more powerful than him, around.

I don't disagree with this, but I'd kind of want it to be explained. I know "Why don't they just call up the avengers or Goku or whoever" is something you shouldn't worry about (for obvious reasons), but I still think I'll be asking "where's bucky" by the end if they don't address it somehow.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

live with fruit posted:

I get it and can even agree for the most part but Bucky and Sam have such great chemistry and, more importantly, history there should at least be a cameo where they hang out. Bucky can even offer to help but Sam is all “Nah. I got this fam. Also stay away from my sister.” Just feels a bit disappointing. Doesn’t tank anything but makes me a little sad. Just a little character moment or two and I’d be ok.

I want more X-Men. Not saying the show is brilliant or anything but it’s good enough to make me look forward to more.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Like Woody (in the original Quantum & Woody) said, you can either have high boots or fingerless gloves, but not both. People will think you're gay.

Obviously Gambit is and always has been a fuckboi.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
I just finished watching episode 2 of X-men '97. I am guessing that is Madeline Pryor at the end?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Yes? I'm honestly not sure, because Maddie should be the pregnant one, but we've seen that Jean use powers and go by Jean, so they're changing something up. I mean Scott's not even in Alaska.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
With the hint of Sinister in the openings, Sinister and Madelyn Pryor would make sense especially with Cable being born. He has always been obsessed with Scott and Jean.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Soonmot posted:

Yes? I'm honestly not sure, because Maddie should be the pregnant one, but we've seen that Jean use powers and go by Jean, so they're changing something up. I mean Scott's not even in Alaska.

In episode 1 she has a weird vision after diving into Gyrich’s mind and says “someone else is in here.” Now I acknowledge I’ve got no evidence for what I’m about to speculate, but in my mind she is in fact Madelyne Pryor and the whole Jean persona and memories are a construct implanted in her mind by Sinister.. The “someone else” is her true self poking through.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

1st AD posted:

In episode 1 she has a weird vision after diving into Gyrich’s mind and says “someone else is in here.” Now I acknowledge I’ve got no evidence for what I’m about to speculate, but in my mind she is in fact Madelyne Pryor and the whole Jean persona and memories are a construct implanted in her mind by Sinister.. The “someone else” is her true self poking through.

oooohhhhh I did not think about that! The Shadow King? I dunno. Or it could be the Pheonix.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

A dude posted:

In “Spiderman and his Amazing Friends” or whatever it was called, there was an episode where ex-X-man Firestar goes to a reunion at the mansion which Juggernaut crashes. That iteration was strangely faithful, sticking to the mystical backstory as Xavier’s brother. Also Wolverine was Australian, which lol how prophetic considering Jackman.

I remember this episode, I'm going to chalk it up to 'crappy voice actor' rather than any sort of conscious decision.

And I also remember back in the 90's when BBSs would go "hey why don't Rogue and Gambit use Leech to nullify her powers so they can make whoopie?" every month or so. The discussion would run for half a dozen pages before someone would suggest that maybe they shouldn't use a twelve year old kid as a sexual aid.

Gynovore fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Mar 25, 2024

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

"Why don't two adults kidnap a homeless child and imprison him against his will for whatever reason then discard him like a sack of garbage? I just don't know."

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
As a kid I never thought of Rogue using a collar or power-dampening character to help her get it on with Gambit, but thinking of it now I tend to think her being Gambit’s beard the whole time makes more sense :cawg:

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Isn’t Maddie the one who just had the kid? The comics, I believe, have Jean come back from the bay in a cocoon, Scott sees her, and immediately ditches Maddie and the kid. This turns her into the Goblin Queen.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

IUG posted:

Isn’t Maddie the one who just had the kid? The comics, I believe, have Jean come back from the bay in a cocoon, Scott sees her, and immediately ditches Maddie and the kid. This turns her into the Goblin Queen.

Yeah it's why Cyclops is just the worst. He finds out his girlfriend from college is in town and abandons his family.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

McSpanky posted:

"Why don't two adults kidnap a homeless child and imprison him against his will for whatever reason then discard him like a sack of garbage? I just don't know."

No obviously they just wait until he's old enough to be a consenting third party

Randabis
Apr 2, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

McSpanky posted:

My last post had to be edited due to commenting that normalization of child slavery like this is autoban worthy and bordering on condonment of pedophilia in context of why these 2 mutants would need or want this child mutant to use his powers so they could engage in sexual interactions.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

1st AD posted:

I think she just saw sinister, and he cloned her - because comics - I think it is as simple as that.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

LividLiquid posted:

Show quite good!

Hell yeah. I watched the first 2 episodes while eating a bowl of cinnamon toast crunch and am now rewatching the original series. It hits differently watching it in order and also not being a not child

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

RC Cola posted:

Hell yeah. I watched the first 2 episodes while eating a bowl of cinnamon toast crunch and am now rewatching the original series. It hits differently watching it in order and also not being a not child

Are you a Benjamin Button?

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

97 is pretty loving good.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Creative team somehow found a way to balance 90s cheese with a gentle update that feels like an extension instead of a diversion. It also nails the two key ingredients.
First, there's a Trump-tainted edge to the world's bigotry .The animated series riffed on the AIDS crisis and the live action stuff steered into LGBTQ allegory ("have you ever tried not being a mutant?") This time out we've got villains flat-out quoting Great Replacement Theory and very thinly veiled January 6th references.
Secondly though, it remembers that great X-Men stories are... well... messy soap operas that cheerfully traffic in melodrama and hormones. So. many. hormones.
It's a LOT. But god, it is so good to have a superhero property that doesn't feel like a clumsy Whedon Xerox.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

1st AD posted:

I mean she is really set on not being an x-man and dragging Scott with her. Suspicious.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNmnkVOh9wc So they're just straight up doing Goblyn Queen poo poo. Rad.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
Welp, watched the new episode over breakfast. Animation is still really tight, that hallucination sequence was appropriately trippy. Don't like them throwing out both Nathan and Jean and going straight back to the status quo though.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Three episodes in and we're already in with confusing timelines . cool

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Skios posted:

Welp, watched the new episode over breakfast. Animation is still really tight, that hallucination sequence was appropriately trippy. Don't like them throwing out both Nathan and Jean and going straight back to the status quo though.

The show's been pretty good about feeling serialised so I doubt this is back to the status quo at all. I'm sure there'll be plenty of appropriately hammy 'you're not my Jean' type stuff. And they're almost certainly setting up a particular character with Nathan's departure into the future .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

The Sailor Moon transformation sequence, incredible.