Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Two shots of Nimrod in the opening credits. I'm sure it's nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Nikumatic posted:

The most Claremont stuff yet; Charles confirmed pet play enthusiast with bird mommy

Came to post this

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Pinterest Mom posted:

also we learned this episode that you automatically get a new costume when you get your powers back

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Pinterest Mom posted:

Nimrod inside a Master Mold, at that.

Charles being a huge :smuggo: during his psychic class session was hilarious. "Demerits!" :lol:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

After rewatching the original series recently, I was surprised that the Brood never showed up at all. I guess that's probably too gross for a kid's show, however.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Mooseontheloose posted:

I think the movie does more to help Rouge's characterization, young girl, wants to see the world but is a bit naive and I think the cartoon dovetailed that with falling for the wrong person. She is someone who is literally denied experiencing people and places because of her power and status as a mutant.

Psylocke is the real, I will never get it X-Person for me.

Also, I think Elixir is an underrater X-Team person who could have tons of great stories. Also, bring us Rockslide please.

I knew a couple girls in school who liked Rogue because she was basically Edward Scissorhands, but a lady. "I have so much love to give but I hurt everyone who gets close to me!!!!" is a pretty effective hook.

Xealot posted:

Gambit has a similar “gruff antihero with a sordid past” texture to Wolverine, except he’s hot and suave and clearly fucks (I mean, not Rogue specifically, but they obviously would if they could.) Rogue likewise has a really outspoken charisma, but is an absolute tank in fights, with a ton of tragic history for dramatic gravitas. I get why they’re both popular. Fun as gently caress accents, too.

Though I think the real X-Men sell is that the roster is so varied, everyone has a specific guy. Wolverine is the clear breakout, but everyone I know has the one not-that-important guy they just really like. For some reason, I really liked Angel and Nightcrawler as a kid, despite the latter’s constant goddamn sermonizing.

I've always thought Kurt's been a consistently popular character. He's got a really good hook ("I know I look scary, but actually I'm very nice, so you shouldn't judge people by appearance"), an all-time great design and powers that are cool but not so broken the writer constantly has to write around them.

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Apr 17, 2024

King Of Coons
May 5, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

also we learned this episode that you automatically get a new costume when you get your powers back

you know I thought this too and am totally down as both so far have been amazing but I think this was a dream sequence costume change.

also pretty sure all the X-men are just letting the world think Charles is dead for legal/monetary/sympathy reasons

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I really have to get on with this rewatch of the og show because all of this stuff happening is stuff I've only read about happening in random lore pages in Wolverine UNLEASHED in the 90s and I'm wondering when Stryfe is gonna show up to give everyone Covid or if that's already happened

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Shoehead posted:

I really have to get on with this rewatch of the og show because all of this stuff happening is stuff I've only read about happening in random lore pages in Wolverine UNLEASHED in the 90s and I'm wondering when Stryfe is gonna show up to give everyone Covid or if that's already happened
I think they put Stryfe in the background of a couple of episodes but he doesn’t actually show up

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

King Of Coons posted:

also pretty sure all the X-men are just letting the world think Charles is dead for legal/monetary/sympathy reasons

Or, knowing Charles, he just casually mind hosed them all on his way out the door.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I do have to say I hope they stick with this Sinister and not the one I'm reading in Krakoa in the comics. I know he has his fans but I'm not one of them.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Stryfe is also lame.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.
Sassy, randy Xavier was rad as gently caress. The psychological sequences with Storm were terrifying. I have to say that the show is outstanding at being scary without being gory.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
This was the first episode that didn't do it for me! The Xavier/Storm combo meal meant that all the dialogue in both stories was high-falutin 'what is the nature of a person' type chin stroking, which I get is very X-Men, but when it's all like that it gets a bit cloying, for me at least. It's like the characters didn't have a chance to just be people. All the stuff in space felt like it went on a little too long. struggle, message and tone are always the same, and the 'metaphor made flesh' feels like a cheap way to shortcut any real character journey. I felt very similar about some of the recent Resurrection of Magneto comics.

I also just think it's tough for a show like this when it veers away from the ensemble cast, because that chemistry between the ensemble keeps it feeling zippy and fresh. But I mean one dud out of 6 so far isn't bad!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Defiance Industries posted:

I knew a couple girls in school who liked Rogue because she was basically Edward Scissorhands, but a lady. "I have so much love to give but I hurt everyone who gets close to me!!!!" is a pretty effective hook.

I think it also literalises a lot of the messed up contradictory messaging girls in western society get about their own sexuality and bodies. Like, constantly being told that acting on these desires you have is sinful, or that expressing such desire is destructive to those around you, especially men.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

That's also true, but we were middle school students so I don't think we quite picked up on that. Either way there's a lot of ways you can play that and people respond to it.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

FlamingLiberal posted:

After rewatching the original series recently, I was surprised that the Brood never showed up at all. I guess that's probably too gross for a kid's show, however.

What about the episode where Rogue's boyfriend comes back? I'm pretty sure those aliens were the Brood.

srypher
Jun 3, 2011

Really?
Was that Vulcan towards the start of the episode fighting Kree? Can't imagine he's too cool with Xavier being there

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I Am Fowl posted:

What about the episode where Rogue's boyfriend comes back? I'm pretty sure those aliens were the Brood.
They didn’t look like them to me

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Ep 6 Ending Spoilers + Comics question

Out of curiosity, is Trask in the comics a one-dimensional nutcase? I just thought that ending of Episode 6 seemed to imply some level of remorse on his part, like maybe he didn't intend for his Sentinels to be used in quite such a bloody and murderous fashion.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

He eventually felt bad about everything when he realized he was wrong, then died.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
Real good writing in this episode. The Adversary channeling Shakespeare with Forge made his bed, let him die in it. You get a little poetic with the speech and you can actually cram a lot of meaning into half an hour. Xavier's The rhyme that makes the lie comment made me laugh because the shear amount of alliteration that had gone on before. This show rocks.

Both plot lines are about the relationships between a sky goddess and their respective dark twins and consorts. Storm has a full blown mythological heroes journey complete with traveling into hell to retrieve a magic herb for her lover and it was loving great. Now that the motifs that I have been talking about are now in the forefront and plot structure, really deconstructing this now obvious myth stuff we be me saying "It's important to note that the firetruck is red because it is a firetruck". It's important to note this woman is a vulture goddess because she is space bird lady who likes to kill!

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

MonsterEnvy posted:

Stryfe is also lame.

Yeah maybe a bad example. I'd always read about the Legacy virus and child me got the real world parallels, but child me didn't know it was made by Cable's rear end in a top hat clone brother who looks like the Silver Samurai.

Uh uh I dunno has everyone died and woken up in Australia yet?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

There is a Legacy virus plotline in the original series but it’s not specifically called that

Cirvot
Oct 21, 2012
Yeah that episode didn't do it for me at all. One thing about this series that I liked is that it seemed like it was gonna be a bit bolder and not instantly return to the status quo instantly like comics tend to do. With the combo of Storm getting re-powered and Xavier coming back that does not seem to be the case. I could accept the Storm stuff but Xavier is meh as hell imo. Wouldn't be surprised if we get Gambit back and Magneto as an antagonist by episode 10 now.

It's a pity really. Following up the best episode with one of the worst is a feat I guess.

Cirvot fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Apr 17, 2024

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

srypher posted:

Was that Vulcan towards the start of the episode fighting Kree? Can't imagine he's too cool with Xavier being there

I'm curious what they're going to do with Vulcan down the line, but I can't imagine they're going to straight-up do, "Xavier sent a team of X-Men to their deaths, then mindwiped everyone to cover his tracks," for the cartoon.

God, that was right on the heels of, "Xavier enslaved a self-aware AI being and kept it on the downlow so his students could have a state-of-the-art rec room." They were really making him the worst back then.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Cirvot posted:

Yeah that episode didn't do it for me at all. One thing about this series that I liked is that it seemed like it was gonna be a bit bolder and not instantly return to the status quo instantly like comics tend to do. With the combo of Storm getting re-powered and Xavier coming back that does not seem to be the case. I could accept the Storm stuff but Xavier is meh as hell imo. Wouldn't be surprised if we get Gambit back and Magneto as an antagonist by episode 10 now.

It's a pity really. Following up the best episode with one of the worst is a feat I guess.

I'm genuinely curious if you thought the story was going to be 'Storm loses her powers, leaves the X-Men... the end'? Because that sounds markedly worse

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

The real question: is Xavier going to keep his fancy golden space-exoskeleton legs?

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Unless I misread/misinterpreted it, I wasn't crazy about the way for Storm to get her powers back was just 'believe in yourself, the power was inside you all along!' Storm was never a character that screamed 'self-doubt', and the only reason she felt that way now was because her powers were taken away.

In fact, when she was flying around in her new magic costume after getting her powers back, I started to become pretty sure that the entire 'Forge gets sick, the Adversary is attacking' plotline was taking place in her head while she was in Forge's power-restoring machine. That would have been a good way for them to have the plot where she has to face her demons and come out on top, and ALSO her powers are fixed by Forge's science that took them away in the first place. And yes, I did get this idea from the Futurama episode where Bender has to learn too work with Robot 101.

OldSenileGuy fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Apr 17, 2024

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

it was fun that they made sure Gladiator explicitly used most of superman's iconic powers in the few seconds he's fighting on screen

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Oh yeah btw ep 4 was weeks ago but I only just realised that Mojo having an old Jubilee around is something from an early 90s Wolverine story were they both end up at the end of time with Spiral and Mystique (Jubes having followed Logan and Mystique to a seedy motel and ended up thinking he was sleeping with Jean). Logan rides a nuke into Mojo's face.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Shoehead posted:

Oh yeah btw ep 4 was weeks ago but I only just realised that Mojo having an old Jubilee around is something from an early 90s Wolverine story were they both end up at the end of time with Spiral and Mystique (Jubes having followed Logan and Mystique to a seedy motel and ended up thinking he was sleeping with Jean). Logan rides a nuke into Mojo's face.

quote:

In the Crunch, the missile comes through the vortex and Wolverine hops on and redirects it toward Mojo. As he speeds by fighting off Plasma Wraiths, the skeleton in the past suddenly vanishes, and when Jubilee fights back against Mojo, Abcissa suddenly vanishes from existence as well. Free from her bonds, Jubilee jumps free from Mojo and hops on Wolverine's Harley and speeds by the missile and pulls Wolverine off it. They drive through the time vortex back into the past just before the missile strikes Mojo, allowing the Crunch to happen and preserving the universe.

Wolverine suddenly finds himself at the Four Freedoms Plaza in the evening playing a poker game with Nick Fury, Gambit, Beast and the Thing at another one of the Thing's roving poker games. He is doing poorly and already owes Gambit 5 grand when suddenly Mr. Fantastic enters the room and tells Logan he has a collect call from Jubilee. Answering the phone, he learns that while he was transported to this poker game, Jubilee found herself transported to Japan where she was arrested for not having a license, speeding, and driving a vehicle that was smuggled into the country.
https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Wolverine_Vol_2_53

Maybe I do need to read some Larry Hama Wolverine after alll....

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
I begrudge no woman her Sailor Moon costume change moment.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

NikkolasKing posted:

Ep 6 Ending Spoilers + Comics question

Out of curiosity, is Trask in the comics a one-dimensional nutcase? I just thought that ending of Episode 6 seemed to imply some level of remorse on his part, like maybe he didn't intend for his Sentinels to be used in quite such a bloody and murderous fashion.

Trask in the comics was an anthropologist who greatly feared the mutants becoming the tyrant rulers of earth once their numbers increased and more started abusing their power. Trask created the Sentinals to defend humanity but screwed up the programing resulting in them becoming hostile.

After this he quickly realizes that Master Mold and the Sentinals are a far greater threat than the mutants were and that he was wrong to act on his fears in that manner, he sacrifices his life to destroy Master Mold while the X-men fight the Sentinels. Other successors have been the primary ones continuing his work with Sentinels. Most notably his son first who blamed Mutants for his father's death as Trask died before publicly renouncing anything and the circumstances of his death were not known.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Apr 18, 2024

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

OldSenileGuy posted:

Unless I misread/misinterpreted it, I wasn't crazy about the way for Storm to get her powers back was just 'believe in yourself, the power was inside you all along!' Storm was never a character that screamed 'self-doubt', and the only reason she felt that way now was because her powers were taken away.

In fact, when she was flying around in her new magic costume after getting her powers back, I started to become pretty sure that the entire 'Forge gets sick, the Adversary is attacking' plotline was taking place in her head while she was in Forge's power-restoring machine. That would have been a good way for them to have the plot where she has to face her demons and come out on top, and ALSO her powers are fixed by Forge's science that took them away in the first place. And yes, I did get this idea from the Futurama episode where Bender has to learn too work with Robot 101.

Forge's machine did work. She's had her powers back since episode 4, the self-doubt that was exacerbated by losing them was creating a mental block which she overcame this week leading to that costume change moment.

Rubber Chicken
Mar 13, 2024

OldSenileGuy posted:

the machine DID work.. AND she had a mental block caused by the trauma of losing them. both can be true

efb'd but agreed

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

Trask in the comics was an anthropologist who greatly feared the mutants becoming the tyrant rulers of earth once their numbers increased and more started abusing their power. Trask created the Sentinals to defend humanity but screwed up the programing resulting in them becoming hostile.

After this he quickly realizes that Master Mold and the Sentinals are a far greater threat than the mutants were and that he was wrong to act on his fears in that manner, he sacrifices his life to destroy Master Mold while the X-men fight the Sentinels. Other successors have been the primary ones continuing his work with Sentinels. Most notably his son first who blamed Mutants for his father's death as Trask died before publicly renouncing anything and the circumstances of his death were not known.

I appreciate this very thorough answer, thank you.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

NikkolasKing posted:

I do have to say I hope they stick with this Sinister and not the one I'm reading in Krakoa in the comics. I know he has his fans but I'm not one of them.

Your propensity for terrible entertainment opinions is truly uncanny and astonishing.

Gaz-L posted:

I'm genuinely curious if you thought the story was going to be 'Storm loses her powers, leaves the X-Men... the end'? Because that sounds markedly worse

To be fair, in the comics it is an actual journey for them. There's the mourning period followed by uncertainty, then she just gets on with being the leader of the goddamn X-Men because she doesn't need powers to do it. It was literally 2 years worth of stories, whereas here it's all wrapped up in a mere 4 episodes, which feels way too fast and cheap.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I think this show's Sinister has a fair amount of his modern self's flamboyance and drama.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I've watched the first 4 episodes of X-Men 97 and it's been fun and good and all, but I don't really understand why it's gotten all the high praise it's had. Anyway, I'll just watch episode 5 now and...

:stare: