Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Diversity is cool, actually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Everyone posted:

Maybe Layla some reruns of the old 70s Isis show and took that as inspiration for her costume. Taweret seems like she'd be cool with whatever costume Layla wants.

Just after Layla accepts the avatar position Taweret says something like "I have such a great idea for a costume! :buddy:" and I can totally see her as having mentally workshopped this super dope costume for any future avatar, maybe sketched it out sometimes when she was bored waiting for souls, and sure it isn't like, hippo themed, and maybe it doesn't need to have wings and swords, but she likes them and darn it her avatar looks cool.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Give me Rogue sucking up Carol's powers as our Marvels villain/plotline or give me loving death

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Bar Ran Dun posted:

This season is about our society now and if it can be salvaged.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

also the importance of snacking.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Nameless Pete posted:

Okay, I've seen it twice on this page now from two different posters and just wanted to jump in and clarify for some goons that the character's name is Miss MINUTES and not Miss Manners. On account of she's a clock.

Sure, in your timeline........

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I want to believe they are using the loom explosion for a huge actual reality reset that affects a bunch of the other properties, since so many of the phase five movies are pushed back / delayed anyway.

I don't believe it.

But I want to.

edit:
I dressed up today and someone several pages back asked if there were still any superfans in the thread anyway, and I don't know if dressing up as A Capeshit for Halloween makes you a superfan but if so,

LITERALLY A BIRD fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Oct 31, 2023

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

That's a valid critique, and I don't have any good pictures of me with the Literal Bird because I tried and she hated the wimple :lol: she was all enthusiastic about the picture-taking game but then as she came close to my face she froze in a weird position and just stayed stuck like that, looking very uncomfortable, until she was disinvited from picture time :lmao:

Thank you for both the compliment and the indulgence :) sort of threw things together last minute and was happy with how it came out.

Back to discussing television, Werewolf By Night In Color was all right.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

She's a good bird :allears:

I thought they used red in particular effectively at times -- his eyes stood out for sure, and also some arcs of blood in the garden fight, all the drama in the cage with the Bloodstone. I did like it overall. The black and white one is just, enormously better, but I don't feel like I wasted my time in having watched the new version once and I think that is a victory :toot:

LITERALLY A BIRD fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Nov 1, 2023

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Maybe it'd be better on rewatch, but they shat the bed bad with Wanda, setting her up for something cool in Wandavision and then ending where her just fast-forwarding to mass murderer and ends up defeated by some rocks being dumped on her. Remember walking away being just really disappointed with that and the few multiverses they actually go to.

I think a lot of this is to do with the fact MoM started filming before even WandaVision wrapped iirc? I remember someone posting some interview where Elizabeth Olsen said she'd have portrayed some things differently if there had been more time between productions. I thought the story they chose to tell about pain and loss turning people into villains was a fine one, and she got a kind of catharsis at the end, but it would have been nice if it felt like she had a happier ending. I have a really soft spot for Scarlet Witch but she is basically trauma personified, her entire character history is a cycle of getting traumatized and handling trauma poorly and getting punished for handling trauma poorly. They could have changed that!*

*new X-man comics seem to have done something about this and it makes me happy

LITERALLY A BIRD fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Nov 3, 2023

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

lmao, yeah, fair, agree with all of that.

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Loki has returned to being fun as poo poo. We got footage of Owen Wilson on a jet ski!

this episode is good

LITERALLY A BIRD fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Nov 3, 2023

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Bar Ran Dun posted:

So the bar, Sylvie just wants to live her life and Loki wants to save the TVA. .

That’s the will-to-live and the will-to-power. And then they show the will-to-power is just the will-to-life in the context of a group “I don’t want to be alone.”

It’s really an incredibly meaning dense conversation.

I mentioned to you in another thread I have been enjoying the weird theology implications of an Asgardian God wearing an ankh but they have given her the ankh earring so consistently now that it's definitely meant as a defining character piece. Obviously it is associated strongly with Egyptian Divinity but it is also at its most basic and in its hieroglyphic form a symbol of life. I was appreciating during that bar conversation just how well wearing the symbol for "life" ties into her desires and motivation.

Also is the spaghettification not the threads of time/reality unraveling? I mostly keep thinking of the spaghettifying of Reed Richards in MoM but I think being unraveled or unmade is more what they are going for.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Zoobtro posted:

where did the lap pad go??

spaghettified/unraveled

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

poo poo, I don't think I ever consciously knew that about ankh -> cross and that is surprising to me! Thank you for that knowledge, and lmao at Mrs. BRD :allears: "new life" definitely fits Sylvie's themes as well.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

CubanMissile posted:

Is Werewolf by Night In Color worth watching or does it kill the atmosphere of the original?

I watched it under the assumption it was made for the kind of person that categorically refuses to watch black and white movies / TV shows. It was fine. Watch it if your expectations are low anyway and you don't really care. Otherwise skip it and watch the original again

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Taear posted:

I guess I can't imagine a godly alien who hasn't got huge experience of 1980s america just deciding "okay this is fine" and staying there
She's got all the choice and freedom in the entire universe.

Sometimes if you've had a real lovely life, having one that might seem boring and tiny and mundane to other people ends up being your heart's desire. I don't find that unimaginable at all. Further, I think the fact that she has all the choice and freedom in the universe is part of what empowers her to live that small life that she wanted/wants right now. You are focused on the negative aspects of working a fast food existence because most people who do it in real life do feel trapped in it. Even if you choose not to accept that she was genuinely happy living the life she is shown living, she does have the ability to leave or change it at any time. That's huge. It makes what she is spending her time doing truly a choice, and not a sentence.

And also, something that I don't think has been pointed out yet is that, in canon, Lokis want power. Power, glory, worship, all those things are things that the standard Loki seeks and craves. It's a character trait. Sylvie wanting a life that is devoid of any of that is another demonstration of her being an individual, being her own person, regardless of her origin.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Taear posted:

At least move to Sweden
Go somewhere decent, AT LEAST

And it'd be thematic

Hm I dunno, I feel like there are several ways to justify choosing to stay in Idaho or wherever from the character's perspective. She could exposit to someone that the bright logo colors fundamentally appealed to her, felt like a beacon after a long darkness. She could tell the audience it felt like her beacon, like a place that could be her home. Her reasons would be some kind of lovely compelling prose, I am not a writer. I can think of a bunch of reasons Sylvie the character might choose to put down roots wherever she did but also I don't really care enough to want to watch a scene detailing them so I am fine giving the benefit of the doubt and making them up myself. Also as you say she's unfamiliar with that timeline, she has no reason to think going to Sweden (or wherever) might be the place to be instead of where this dice roll of Fate has landed her. I don't know if it's me making excuses for the writers or you maybe not fully engaging with them :lol:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Jedit posted:

Or it could be that she's been a god, and now she just wants the most simple, ordinary life she can find. There's very few things less complex or more mundane than a McJob.

I mean yes definitely that idea, that has been covered extensively even prior to my post in agreement up thread. But then Taear objected specifically to her choice of 1980s America. I have liked the glimpses we had into Sylvie's life. She has a community :)

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Yeah exactly. I can totally see a person being like "here I am, and so here will be my new life." It doesn't seem that mysterious.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Here is a mediocre cell phone picture, in case nobody does better :buddy:

https://i.imgur.com/PWQOO9B.jpg

LITERALLY A BIRD fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Nov 5, 2023

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

The Finn posted:

Awesome, thank you. The "Who what where when why" one jumps out
You're welcome!

Jerusalem posted:

There's a close-up during the credits too:

Thank you!

code:
-BRIDGE OF WORLDS
-THE BROKEN HERON
:hmmyes: of course

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Taear posted:

Whereas I feel like an immortal alien wouldn't. Especially an immortal alien Loki although it's clearly shown us how different to Loki she is.
Service jobs are nightmare shits. Although maybe if you live in the middle of nowhere it might be better? Being a woman in the 80s also isn't exactly great. She just has so much more choice for "better and not difficult". It feels like a very middle class american idea of "This isn't a bad place to be" I guess. Also a ton of places she's experienced because of her moving around all the time, not like she wouldn't have the knowledge.

I want to point out first of all that I suspect you read my use of "person" as a synonym for "human," which it was not. Sylvie is a person. You are adamant that it does not make sense for a person like Sylvie to choose and be happy in the life she was living, while several people in the thread have tried to describe the ways that, from their perspectives, her choice does makes sense with the person we know and is believable.

I only continue to engage you on this point because it really seemed to bother you / affect your enjoyment of the show and I would have liked to help you enjoy the narrative more! But I think you -- you, personally -- just totally, fundamentally disagree with the choice she made. That's fine, but you aren't demonstrating a willingness to allow personal or narrative concessions or perspective shifts that support Sylvie making this choice that you feel is a bad one. I hope that changes, or at least it begins to bother you less, because being willing to shift perspective to better understand a fictional person is a skill that can be brought to bear in better understanding and connecting with real people too. It's worth engaging in for that reason, imo.

LITERALLY A BIRD fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Nov 5, 2023

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

You also point out repeatedly though she is super fuckin magical.

quote:

ultimate poverty, since she has no money or support network in this place when she starts and would have to struggle to even get employed since she's effectively an illegal immigrant

None of this would be a real problem for her. Anyway, your mind is pretty made up and I got no more arguments left to make. But I think your perspective is narrow, bordering on biased.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

:lmao:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Technowolf posted:

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > TV IV > MCU TV: CIVIL WAR (OVER MCDONALD'S)

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

StrugglingHoneybun posted:

I'm gonna be watching the Loki finale on my phone Thursday during the intermission of a 6p The Marvels and an 8:45 The Marvels

Am very excited!

I'm gonna wear all my nerd poo poo and be overstimulated for the whole night I can't wait!

I hope you have the best time :kimchi:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I do not have words for how much I loved Sylvie and Loki both turning directly to the camera and saying "sometimes it's okay to destroy everything, if you use that space to make something better." Perfect. Spot on. Full agree. No notes.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Loki: trickster god, leading expert in several sciences with centuries of training by the best minds in the multiverse, god of all time. Quite the resume.

True G.O.A.T.

I also truly loved that he immediately buckled down for centuries of learning because circumstances demanded it. He had to and he could so he did. Perfect, and the willingness to do things the hard way instead of giving up and loving off is another character growth illustration. The "Centuries later." title screen was flawless dramatic comedy :lol:

LITERALLY A BIRD fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Nov 11, 2023

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Bar Ran Dun posted:

But he also doesn’t destroy everything. He prevents the destruction of the TVA. That also not being the ending of everything, is also part of apocalyptic thought.

:hmmyes: I would argue however that the TVA as it has previously existed was destroyed. As people have been discussing, it had a specific purpose which has now been dismantled and repurposed and is fundamentally different -- all the way down to magic being usable on TVA grounds now, which had not previously been the case. The previous identity of the TVA was destroyed and a new identity was allowed to grow in its place. New life, BRD!

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Cage Kicker posted:

I’m disappointed in all this spaghetti talk. The whole show is about a loom and everything comes apart like cloth unweaving itself.

Fake edit: I now want to see the Kang variant that creates a Temporal Colander

I liked that it all looked distinctly more thread-like in the climatic and ending scenes. It also looked more expensive, which I expect is the practical reason it didn't look that good all season, but I will accept a narrative reason of all the previous time strands depicted having been overprocessed by Kang/the Loom's interference. There is a whole different texture and heft of an organic unprocessed timeline :hmmyes:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Gavok posted:

KangDog!
KangDog!
He Who Remains as a little KangDog!

:allears:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Bar Ran Dun posted:

So thinking about Loki more…

They explicitly drew a distinction between science and fiction. They explicitly identified Loki with fiction. And the story was resolved with Loki becoming the God of Time (and Stories).

Earlier in the season they were framing within the series to be about the problems we face now in society. That’s always what any good science fiction as a genre is about. Good sci-fi is about now.

The show is asserting the solutions to the problems of now, are found in myth, in story.

I think it’s correct

Edit: and that the content of that myth is being-for-others

Eiba posted:

it's supposing that the fundamental nature of the universe is narrative.

I vibe with all this

Elendil004 posted:

Saw the Marvels last night, only group in the theater but frankly it was a solid as hell movie. Short, funny, moved itself along and didn't try and do too much but still built some on the characters.

this too

dingo with a joint posted:

Movie sucked, so I'm all for that.

not this though, first Dr. Strange is great, what the hell :mad:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Parkingtigers posted:

You know, having them start in the '60s and then timeslip to the present could be a great motivation for Doom. Sokovia being in a state of civil war and in such a mess because he wasn't there to hold it together would be a great reason for him to become the welcomed returning hero to Make Latveria Great Again. When you think of everything that ever happened to the country, Doom could legitimately feel that none of it would have happened if he had been there to stop it, not the civil war, not the Ultron stuff, not Thanos, and blaming Reed for him not being there would be a far greater motivation than just mere jealousy.

:pray:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

SimplyCosmic posted:

So, yeah, MoM could have used a bit more of a transition, but WandaVision could have also used a little more acknowledgment of how Wanda was messed up before the start and certainly was compromised and corrupted before she ran off into the woods with the Darkhold.

My perspective is colored by knowing the MCU Scarlet Witch's story is just the most recent in a long series of emotional disasters inflicted on the character called the Scarlet Witch (narrative multiverse indeed) but I feel like WandaVision maybe underemphasized all that past trauma because in this case the narrative did in fact expect the audience to have done homework / had background. Losing Billy and Tommy was just the most recent loss after losing her husband, losing her husband again, losing her brother, losing her parents, losing her home, being abandoned by her support network, being demonized by the public, all the child soldiering, you know, the usual for her but quite a lot for most people to take without a villain turn and/or nervous breakdown. The compounding trauma is the narrative foundation of the show, and then the show provides the foundation for Multiverse of Madness to exist / continue the Scarlet Witch narrative cycle of trauma-induced villainy and its consequences.

LITERALLY A BIRD fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Feb 22, 2024

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

show good!!!

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Marsupial Ape posted:

Before I do my weird mythic imagery observation, I just gotta say this is some great poo poo. I'm 43, the X-Men cartoon was a big part of my child hood, and they are somehow just nailing it.

Wherein I babble about goddess and bird imagery:

A very old and sticky motif in mythology is the goddess and her consort, who is often a vegetative or agricultural 'year king'. Isis and Osiris, Cybele and Attis, so and so for. For our purposes, I'll be reductive and say that the general idea is that every year the consort dies and is resurrected by the goddess. Usually, this involves gathering and recombining the consorts dismembered body. I talked about this over in the Halo thread concerning John and Cortana The Storm/Forge dynamic is reversed because the goddess is the one who needs to be fixed by a consort who has already put himself back together. There's also layers of Hephaestus and Pygmalion in Forge, too. I don't want to comment too much on the Native American mythology aspects of forge because a) that's not my area of TurboNerd obsession and b) it's Native American mythology as Claremont understood it in the 90s.

Anyway, Storm, the flying storm goddess gets into a fight with a loving Owl Death Goddess. As esoteric expressions of the divine feminine and life/death cycle of regeneration go, it's definitely sledgehammer shaped. I really am beginning to believe that the writers' rooms at Disney are full of people who either took the same weird classes in college or are going to the same fruity writing seminars.

edit:that said, Storm being 'faked' out by the birds rustling the trees when she attempts to use her powers is now much ore ambiguous, considering the Adversary is a bird...and maybe Storm? Ok, I'm back in. The auspices are promising.

All this and you don't observe the way Jubilee literally resurrects her consort in the premonitory half of the episode?!

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

:allears: 💯

In all sincerity I think a lot of writers lately are tapping into the idea of mythotheological narrative as expressions of reality. I picked up the The Trial of Magneto (no, his other trial) collection last year and the majority of the story turned out to be Scarlet Witch going through a Goddess cycle and uniting her three aspects of self to spiritually evolve and heal with even less subtlety than is usually involved with her narrative cycles (I loved it).

edit:

LITERALLY A BIRD fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Apr 4, 2024

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Marsupial Ape posted:

I’m just glad I’m not the only one that sees this stuff. I’ve read most of Marija Gimbutas’ English work and I just see these very old motifs and symbols everywhere, now. I’m not 100% with her on all her admitted conjecture about Neolithic matriarchal societies in Old Europe, but I’m with her on her art and symbol interpretation. I’m not just talking out my butt when I do these critiques, but I do worry that I my own recency bias colors what I think I see.

I’ve just seen it so much it the last two years and out of Disney owned properties that I think the stable of writers rooms and show runners may be all drinking from the same inspirational well. I’m afraid they are already taking an interesting idea and beating it to death. Just squeeze it thin like they did Joseph Campbell’s “hero’s journey”.

I've actually been interpreting it far more charitably than that, maybe I'm more an idealist than I realize :lol: I think maybe a lot of these writers are people who have connected with similar ideas and perceive them as true and get excited about it and want to tell everyone who doesn't know; so being creative types, they began to develop these truths in all the stories they tell with their work. And in superhero-style storytelling in particular an outlet is available to tell stories similar to and inspired by stories in mythological realities, because we have this world where the extraordinary happens, where magic is real, where Gods are reborn and that's just the facts of life, no need for additional suspension of disbelief.

of course you're right that a lot of people seem to be all realizing this at once

LITERALLY A BIRD fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Apr 4, 2024

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Marsupial Ape posted:

[...] Wings and flight are the ultimate form of agency.

hey, yeah!!!

e: and thank you for the link, this book looks dope :)

LITERALLY A BIRD fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Apr 4, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Show SO good