Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I was surprised that they immediately explained why SWORD stands for something different now compared to what it does in the comics, which is due to the Snap (no, I am not calling it The Blip, that name sucks).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Yvonmukluk posted:

Yeah, wasn't Trials & Tribble-ations super expensive given the DS9 production crew's determination to 100% match the TOS sets as much as possible (obviously the greenscreening to insert the actors into existing footage wasn't cheap either). If they're going all out for the period sets (not to mention all the CGI) it's going to add up.
Yes and they also rebuilt the Enterprise model from scratch

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Re Hulk, spoilered just in case Tim Roth is going to show up in the She-Hulk series.
He was also going to show up in Civil War but his appearance ended up being cut out of the shooting script because there was too much going on already

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Look, all I'm asking is that this series ends with original bathrobed Beyonder appearing out of nowhere

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I guess, but the bathrobe is just so much better

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

First look at the Zemo and US Agent costumes

https://twitter.com/IGN/status/1356278904764440579?s=20

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

That picture is too dark to even make out what you are pointing at

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/getFANDOM/status/1356738576055037952?s=20

It's probably going to be Dr. Strange.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

It’s going to be the return of Terrence Howard as Rhodey for some reason

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I guess someone is a fan

https://twitter.com/complexpop/status/1357015682823708673?s=21

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

zoux posted:

I'll note that Olsen didn't say "there will be a cameo on par with the Mandalorian", the interviewer was like "Oh are there any surprises in store, like with Luke" and she was like "oh, yeah." So I'd moderate my expectations and not expect Iron Man and Steve Rogers to drop in.
It’s probably the Quicksilver thing then

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

Is it me or is it odd that the character of the postman seems to have been given some very significant lines despite appearing in 2 episodes and having about 3 lines in total?

Episode 2: "I'm just the messenger!"
Episode 5: (knowingly) "Your Mom won't let him get far!"

He appeared so briefly in Episode 2 that I thought he and the commercial pitchman were the same actor but they do appear to be two different people.

It's something that may or may not be significant in retrospect once the series is over, but either way, what an odd pacing of the character's appearances.
Something's up with that character and it's not clear what it is yet, but like with Agnes there is something else going on there

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

If Crossbones can come back from being loving exploded into a million pieces I guess we can bring lots of people back

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I thought the main reason that Howard didn't return as Rhodey was over money

in that he wanted an absurd amount to come back after Iron Man was a hit

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Did he finally have an epiphany when he made the Holy Terror book on his own after DC refused to let him do a Batman story where he beats up Muslims?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

So apparently the character reveal that Paul Bettany had previously teased was not Quicksilver or Dr Strange

https://twitter.com/esquire/status/1362534443139891202?s=21

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

So did that whole Wakandan plotline regarding Vision's body from Infinity War just go nowhere? Because the implication is that nothing worked in restoring Vision until they got access to some of Wanda's powers.

I do agree with the consensus that Heyward has planned this out for awhile. I'm not convinced that he is another character masquerading as Heyward, but that he wants to bring Vision back for reasons probably involving the post-Endgame status quo where several Avengers are dead and/or inactive and SWORD feels like they need Vision back. It definitely feels to me like they couldn't get anything to work in resurrecting Vision, but somehow Heyward figured out that Wanda could pull it off, so he started this whole ploy to get her to bring him back. I guess having access to her powers is the next best thing. My general thought right now is that her kids, who are clearly a creation of Wanda (or possibly even Agatha since they have indicated a few times this season that Wanda can't directly make them do things with her powers like she can with the other people in the town) will probably go away by the end which causes her powers to grow even more. Based on that 1600s scene at the beginning of this episode, I get the feeling that Agatha has some kind of compulsion to seek out sources of magic that are strong, and that is what led her to Westview in the first place.

I'm really struggling to figure out how they are going to wrap everything up by the end of this final episode. It feels like they need two more.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

McCloud posted:

So wait a second. Agatha has what amounts to a Wanda-safe bunker where she can't do magic, and instead of dealing with her there, she chooses to face this nexus of chaos magic out in the streets where she can do whatever she wants?

Bold strategy Cotton
I'm very convinced this is intentional

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Just got around to watching it, and I would echo a lot of what others are saying about this finale being kind of rushed. Part of the problem is that the entire last episode was basically the 'we explain what REALLY happened' episode, along with a bunch of backstory. So we had almost nothing from the SWORD end of the series at all, which has to be very quickly resolved here.

I would have liked more of Heyward being driven by what happened with the Blip and Thanos being the reason for him resurrecting Vision. That's reasonable. But instead they just make him into a cartoon villain who ends up having little importance in the end.

My biggest issue is that we really don't get a lot of 'why' in this series. They do resolve everything with Wanda, but in the end we never really get why Agatha wants her power other than for power's sake. Heyward also just wants to take out Wanda for....reasons. I think the reason is supposed to be because she's going to interfere with his Vision resurrection plan, but that's not very fleshed out.

I'm wondering how Spectral Vision is going to figure into things going forward. He just kind of fucks off and that's it, but I don't know if this is a case of them actually having a role for him going forward, or if it's a way to bring him back if they need him for something. I'm just not sure what movie he would turn up in unless it's Dr Strange 2. They did some setup here for Captain Marvel 2, even if it was brief.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Mirage posted:

I understand why Wanda wouldn't want to turn herself in, because in the MCU any ultra-powerful being who submits to authority is gonna be brainwashed and exploited by a corrupt shadow cabal of some sort. 100% guaranteed.
Well that, and look at what Heyward just did.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

It definitely doesn't absolve her....a good chunk of the last episode is about how hosed up what she did is, which I think was necessary.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

MechaSeinfeld posted:

I just watched it. It was dumb that quicksilver turned out to be nothing. what’s the deal there

I didn’t keep up with whatever the theories were but it seems dumb to just hire a guy to reprise his role but ohhh you were tricked. like if they did that with Michael Fassbender playing an unnamed man who controlled metal it’d seem pretty strange.

show was fine. it was better than xmen: apocalypse.
I mean they did straight up tell you in Ep 8 that he was just a random guy so I’m not sure why people expected more than that

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Ouhei posted:

The show is really an origin story for Scarlet Witch. I think if you view the plot with that mind it makes a lot more sense overall. I think there's valid criticisms to be made around the details, but I don't think they're any worse than you could lob at most MCU stories.
Yeah I didn’t expect that but you’re right

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

So since WandaVision ended up being a Scarlet Witch origin, is The Falcon and the Winter Soldier going to end up being an origin for Falcon Cap? I have to assume so.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

tsob posted:

That's certainly my assumption, yea. It's strange otherwise that we haven't even gotten a photo of him as Cap for promotional purposes, when Steve personally named him as his successor. So I assume the story is about building to it, about Sam feeling like he's worthy of it since he told Steve he didn't feel that when Steve gave him the shield.
I'm also wondering what they are going to do with the Captain America adjacent characters after this series, because I don't believe there are any other upcoming movies announced that would be appropriate for them.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I'm just looking forward to more Captain America adjacent stuff since we may never get another Cap movie

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Geo Fixer posted:

I consider fatws to be the next cap movie
It's probably the last Cap stuff we'll get for awhile, because I struggle to see how any of the other characters are going to be involved in the other movies going forward

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I find it odd that the only appearance of US Agent in any of the trailers is that scene on the stage. Almost all of the combat stuff seems to be Bucky/Falcon vs. Flag Smasher/goons/Baron Zemo

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The kids are a construction of the Hex like Vision is. What’s up in the air with the end stinger is whether some entity made them real, or something. For certain we haven’t seen the last of them since they are well established characters in the comics now.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I watched it just a bit ago....and am I the only one who felt like that was all very clunky? A LOT was shoved into 50ish minutes of episode, but not much actually happens. I have been looking forward to this but I hope it gets better from here, as there was a lot of setup but the hook of US Agent showing up at the end was not really that big of a deal IMO.

I'm not going to give up on it but that was not a good start.

also

https://twitter.com/attackerman/status/1373115682083201027?s=20

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Electric Phantasm posted:

It'a gonna turn out Flag Smasher only robbed that bank because he too was turned down for a loan.
Like are we supposed to be concerned that a Swiss bank got robbed? I think that is one of my biggest problems with the episode, that the Flag Smashers are some mysterious nefarious group, but all we've seen them do is rob a bank.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

It was the first episode, plus they didn't just rob a bank, they lured in random people from online postings and then used them as cover to escape capture. They clearly don't have a problem using random, innocent people to cause chaos, potentially leading to a lot worse things in upcoming episodes.
It's just concerning because this series is only 6 episodes and they spent like a third of the episode on the Louisiana stuff

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

sebmojo posted:

i really liked it, nice camerawork too. It's a good counterpoint with the films; i think they're knocking it out of the park in terms of what they choose to do with these TV shows so far, especially compared to the painfully dull (e.g.) Iron fist.
I couldn't finish Iron Fist, it was just too dull and everything was so dark all the time. Which fit with something like Daredevil or Punisher, but Iron Fist shouldn't look exactly the same.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Azhais posted:

Technically Hawkeye used to be a thief so that ranch could have come from anywhere (and we have no idea what his wife does), and Cap was probably a government employee.

Other than Stark are any of the avengers, comics or otherwise, shown to have any money?

Spider man is either a broke photographer hawking selfies or supported by mj
Black widow is a shield employee and I doubt paid much more than other government people
Banner tends to live in the middle of nowhere to avoid hulking
Strange and Thor have their own thing going on

Extended roster has a lawyer and someone that charges for hero work and a bunch more vague people like falcon
I want to say that Stark and T'Challa tend to be the big bankrollers for the Avengers most of the time in the comics

also tangential to the Avengers, but Xavier seems to have money

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Yeah I'm seriously struggling to figure out why anyone would be excited that Falcon died other than racism, I guess

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Barry Convex posted:

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1374066127702257666

this is curious given that the character hasn't exactly had much of a profile in the comics in recent years, and has never even had a solo miniseries. gonna guess she isn't going to become the host of the Phoenix Force like she looks to be doing in Jason Aaron's Avengers run
I've never heard of this character before but that article description makes her sound like Taskmaster but a woman and deaf?

The article also mentions that Yelena Belova shows up in Hawkeye which kind of lines up with the rumors that she is going to be the new Black Widow going forward since ScarJo is gone

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Disney is now saying that the premiere episode of The Falcon and the Winter Soldier is the most watched premiere of any Disney+ show, beating out The Mandalorian Season 2 and Wandavision.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Finally had time to watch the new episode and it was 10x better than the first one. We actually got plot and some nice backstory stuff to go along with the introduction in full of US Agent.

From what I have read about US Agent it seems like they are sticking reasonably close to his comics origin as the tougher, but more government friendly version of Cap who will do as ordered most of the time. I'm thinking that we'll see more of the character's anger issues going forward as it was in the comics but we're not at that point yet. Apparently Battlestar is a pre-existing character who was one of John Walker's Vietnam buddies in the comics who also gets powers thanks to the Power Broker. I had not heard of him before but he has an interesting history-

quote:

Battlestar was created by Mark Gruenwald and Paul Neary, and was originally introduced as a nameless member of the Bold Urban Commandos in Captain America #323. In Captain America #327 he is called "Lemar" for the first time, but generally is still treated as interchangeable with the other BUCs. He rises from anonymity in Captain America #334, in which his full name is revealed and he adopts the identity of Bucky. Gruenwald later explained:

'I get several letters every month asking when Bucky's coming back. And I said, "Well, if the government's getting a new Captain America, maybe they'd want to get a new Bucky." I had previously introduced three Buckies as the friends and partners of the Super-Patriot, the Bold Urban Commandos, and rather than create someone new, I decided one of them would be the Bucky. There were two white guys and a black guy, and I said why not the black guy. He at least stood out in the group. Cap had a black partner before in the Falcon, but he's had three other white partners so I said it's time for another black one. Thus, Bucky was black. Now I'm getting a lot of bad mail, and deservedly so, for my ignorance.'[1]

Writer Dwayne McDuffie informed Gruenwald that "Buck" is considered a derogatory term among African-Americans, as it was a term used before the American Civil War to refer to male slaves, and said that it was also racially offensive to have an adult black man taking on the identity of a teenage sidekick.[2] Writer Mark Gruenwald had not known of the racial connotation of "Bucky", having grown up in a region with very few African-Americans,[1] and worked with McDuffie to create a story to address the problem and give Hoskins a new name.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battlestar_(comics)

I'm curious to see what they are going to do with Zemo in this series. He's almost certainly going to end up as the main villain but I'm curious what his link to the Flag Smashers is (I assume that they will tie together soon, as I have a strong feeling that the Flag Smashers are probably on their way to bust him out of UN jail or wherever he is now).

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

tsob posted:

Scourge, or whover that mook from Ragnarok watching the Rainbow Bridge gate room's name is would be fun too.
Skurge died

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I'm also going to echo what others have said, which was that the 'couples' therapy' scene kind of stopped the episode dead in its tracks for me, and was the only negative part of the episode. Otherwise it was great.

I did not expect them to go into the Isaiah Bradley stuff but I'm glad they are.