Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Not sure if this is significant or not, but when Darcy is on the computer:

In addition to the "Project: Cataract" being an obvious play on "Vision," there are other files labeled as medical experiments with different test subject numbers. Implies the director is doing some kind of secret testing on humans. I'm not sure if it is a reference to something or significant. Maybe some kind of easter egg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

There's an interview that said there is still one character in the show that hasn't been shown on screen, but didn't say if they were in episode 8 or 9.

Also, Paul Bettany seemed to kind of confirm Mephisto because he explicitly shot down a couple of theories when asked, but then said he wasn't going to answer a few other questions. One of which was about Mephisto.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

FogHelmut posted:

Saying "No its not Mephisto" is just as bad as saying "Yes it is Mephisto", so he can't really talk either way.

That's true.

It just seems odd that he would shoot down some other theories, but then not answer a question about another.

His actual answer seems very suspicious and was more detailed than his responses to the others:

quote:

"The [head] writer, Jac Schaeffer, she's a bonafide genius. I think it was really fun for her to see all of the fan reactions and fan theories, and some of them are eerily accurate. But this one [theory] that mentions Mephisto? I can't speak to it right now, because I'm worried about getting fired."

Edit: They also confirmed that there is one character that hasn't shown up yet. Which seems to invalidate the (already far-fetched imo) theories about Patrick Stewart and Ian Mckellen or other groups showing up in cameos.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Feb 22, 2021

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

StrugglingHoneybun posted:

Is there a bizarro Vision that could show up?
It'd be cute if the person who Paul Bettany has been waiting his whole life for a chance to act opposite is himself, and he's been playing coy.

I'm pretty sure every Marvel character has about 30 "Alternative" or "Multiverse" versions of their character. There are definitely many different versions of The Vision. But, none that would be anywhere close to famous enough or a fan-favorite enough to make a major secret.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

I hold with those who think that Wanda is just trying to put Agatha in the role of the Bad Guy to avoid feeling guilt. Agatha's attention is only drawn when Wanda starts to quaver and wonder aloud if she really is the villain, at which point Agatha whisks her away for the Big Reveal, which... I'm not sure there's any other compelling reason why Agatha would choose that exact moment? It seems completely arbitrary from Agatha's perspective -- she could have lured her into the basement on any number of pretexts before now. But from Wanda's perspective, it gets her away just before she really starts having to grapple with an uncomfortable feeling.

She was waiting for two things:

1) The twins to be older and unattended.
2) Vision and Wanda to fight causing Vision to begin to think Wanda is out of control and attempt to leave the Hex.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Sanguinia posted:

Surely they've made an evil Vision named BLIND at some point, right? If not, pay me Marvel.

They went with the equally subtle "Anti-Vision."

There's also an undead version of Vision that is a zombie.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Splash Attack posted:

how do you turn a robot into a zombie

He's not a robot. He's a synthoid, you racist.

They made an entire universe where everyone was a zombie and wanted to include Vision, so they said "gently caress it. Vision can be a zombie" for ~*reasons*~

Also, the Zombie universe is identical to ours in every way except for two:

1) Zombies exist
2) In this reality, Captain America was promoted three additional times compared to his normal reality and is "Colonel America"

The reason for why a Zombie virus would change nothing except Captain America's career ladder is never explained.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

BrianWilly posted:

It would definitely be really strange if a random person knew the precise details of the Infinity Stones, along with the exact specific sequence of events that went down in Wakanda and could recite them as if it were just common knowledge...but I can handwave it that Jimmy was briefed on a lot of classified info like a lot of federal agents might be, and Darcy is in Thor's groupchat or something.

Didn't Far From Home and Endgame establish that the news was covering "the blip" and that Captain America/Black Widow had spent most of the last 5 years telling people about what happened/trying to find a way to fix it?

Also, I don't know if it is hilarious or dumb that the official outside of the universe Marvel name for the end of Infinity War is "the snap," but the in-universe world decided to call it the much dumber "the blip."

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Protagorean posted:

thinking abt the movie where they just logic Thanos into doubling the resources in the universe instead

Technically, Thanos' actions were logical. Something can be logical, but still be a bad idea or be illogical to someone with a different set of assumptions.

Thanos thought that increasing the resources wouldn't actually teach anyone the lesson that needed to be learned and would just kick the can down the road. He basically had PTSD from what happened on Titan and was "logically" following through with a plan based on preventing the same thing from happening again. He says that on Titan people couldn't dispassionately make decisions about resources and emotions and greed guided them, so increasing resources would just cause more greed and emotions to drive people to further consume.

The actual logic train that might have convinced him would be to mind control all sentient beings to conserve and consume the most minimal amount of resources possible while expanding supply.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

The_Doctor posted:

Oh god, he was the kid in Colour out of Space too. :stonk:

Killmonger was that kid from The Wire.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

This might be a stretch to think they planned this out in advance, but someone pointed out on Twitter that there might be a Doctor Strange connection to Wandavision.

- In Doctor Strange, when he goes to the "forbidden" section of the library there are two books missing. The one Kaecilius took and an unidentified second blank spot.
- The books in the forbidden section are stored on hexagonal mantles.
- The book in Agatha's basement looks like one of the forbidden books from Doctor Strange.
- The forbidden books in Doctor Strange all have some kind of symbol or decoration on the front without any text and Agatha's book also has a symbol in the same style with no text or title.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

When they made the Zombies comic, some people were legitimately upset because the art style was very graphic and dark, but Marvel acknowledged how dumb it was in the actual fiction of the world and "weren't taking it seriously."

This is the actual canon explanation for why Vision can become a Zombie that some people got mad about.

quote:

In spite of being inorganic, he was somehow infected and zombified during the battle.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

In the MCU, why does nobody wish that using the Infinity Stones doesn't kill you?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Darth Brooks posted:

Speculation for this week's episode.

First, that it will be Agatha's backstory. NotPietro is Nicolas, her son. He fights Monica and we really get to see what she does. It becomes clear that Wanda can't beat Agatha and somehow Vision is not able to stop Agatha either but Monica tips the scale and Vision is then able to free Wanda for a big fight in the last episode.Wanda defeats her for a resolution to the story but Nightmare escapes (maybe unseen)

I think the tone of the series will remain light. There's no reason to go to full on horror for the last two episodes.

They better start the episode with an "Agatha's Family" version of the Adam's Family theme, complete with finger snaps, with Agatha, NotPietro, the twins and a transfixed Wanda.

The kids seem to have been conjured into existence from nothing and are the only characters who have been confirmed to be conjured from nothing, but couldn't it be possible that Pietro was just conjured from nothing as well and he doesn't have to actually "be" somebody?

Edit: And from an outside the show perspective, it would be a way to have Evan Peters show up without actually requiring him to be in the MCU permanently. (Both because they always kill off or severely reduce the power of Quicksilver to not break the movies and because they would either have to explain why he is gone or why he is there again to everyone.)

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Feb 23, 2021

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

I know that magic* is real in the MCU, but Agatha's magic is specifically like Wanda's magic and not the "normal" magic from Doctor Strange.

*Note: Not actually magic, but technically biological science that pulls energy from alternate dimensions, blah, blah, and is literally magic in every way.

Since Wanda got her powers from an infinity stone, then how could Agnes have identical powers/witches be real before ~2012 or so when Hydra got the mind stone?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

DrBouvenstein posted:

We do have actual Magic.

They started with Thor's,
"Well, our magic is just fancy technology, and Asgard isn't a realm, per se, it's more like a small planet" for the first couple of his movies because at first, it seemed like the MCU wanted to be slightly more grounded. Probably trying to ape the most recent batman films that were also trying to be more realistic.

But Dr.Strange put actual magic into the MCU, and I think they've also quasi-retconned that yes, some of what we see in Asgard/the Thor movies are MAGIC-magic, too.

Yeah, they started Thor talking about Loki's "tricks" and "illusions" and going on about advanced technology.

But, shortly before Doctor Strange, they just started outright saying Loki "cast spells" and had "powerful magic."

They basically went, "We never explicitly said there wasn't magic! It's actually always been magic."

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

live with fruit posted:

That and Agatha saying "Dottie is important."

She also says that Dottie "runs everything around here," which seems to be obviously not true.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

BrianWilly posted:

The chance of there being a bigger threat behind Agatha isn't too far-fetched, but the idea that the Agatha villain reveal itself is some sort of fake-out, somehow, feels like trying to see twists as being twists just for the sake of there having to be twists behind every twist. Honestly, it'd be kind of emblematic of a story that's insecure about its own writing. You don't need to subvert expectations that you've established just to try and trick the audience.

"And I killed the dog too!" is not them being subtle about this.

Do we know for sure that the dog was not evil?

There is a canonical evil cat in the MCU, so Agatha could have been saving the world from the even more powerful evil dog.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

The thing I can't figure out is the mailman.

He was being mind controlled by Agatha to act suspicious to get Vision to leave to find the truth. That seems to pretty definitely indicate that he isn't "in on it" and he doesn't seem to have any special powers or other significance.

But, he was also one of the three people who SWORD couldn't identify that were likely not originally from the town.

Were he and Dottie just not identified yet by SWORD in order to keep it from being too obvious that Agatha was the only one not originally from the town? Was he just there to have a consistent character that they could show changing through the years? Intentional red herring?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Infinitum posted:

Hey guys does anyone have any cool opinions on what sort of songs Hitler would sing ITT?

Garagecore, Triphop, and Mumblenoise.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

BurritoJustice posted:

We are getting a Salem witch trial scene from set photos, and I think it's likely it's not a coincidence that there is a coven of witches in Westview. Geographically it might be a site of The Nexus (which in the comics is in Florida), or the site of a witch massacre or something similar. If that's the case Dottie is likely one of them

If you rewatch the trailers there is a scene of Wanda looking at a floating exploding/imploding soul stone so I think it's very likely the stones reforming will be a plot point.

It's the mind stone, which is in Vision's head.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

There's a probable spoiler for Black Widow from the new Hawkeye show. It's not super surprising, but Florence Pugh is guest starring in an episode and is credited as "Black Widow" on the cast sheet.

So far, all of the Phase 4 projects have some sort of connection to the cosmic/multiverse; except for Falcon and The Winter Soldier and Hawkeye. Is there any way they could be connected or probably just off on their own contained stories?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Electric Phantasm posted:

Speaking of HYDRA is there any chance they infiltrated SWORD too?

In the comics, SWORD is compromised by a different group.

Civil War seemed to indicate that Hydra is basically dead.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

live with fruit posted:

It was alive in Ant-Man, unless that guy Pym beat up in the 80s was the last of it.

Hydra isn't completely dead, but in Civil War Zemo says that he has been going through the remnants of Hydra's leadership to find the guy in charge of the Winter Soldier project. And when he finds him, he's just holed up alone in a house by himself and doesn't expect anyone to be contacting him.

Seems to indicate that it is a shell of what it was and probably not taking over the government again.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Codependent Poster posted:

Falcon and Winter Soldier is probably gonna help set up mutants in the MCU.

Is this based on something? I haven't really been following the Falcon and Winter Soldier news, but the trailer doesn't seem to imply mutants. Would definitely be interesting.

I'm hoping there is some type of hook or twist for the show, because a buddy action comedy could be entertaining, but doesn't seem to move the story forward. All these COVID delays and rescheduling are making the already fairly long gap between story beats painfully long. We are at close to two years from when Phase 3 ended and Phase 4 was supposed to kick off almost a year ago.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Would a Skrull know about magic or what Wanda's powers could potentially be?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

I'm kinda of bummed that there may not be another major character/actor reveal, but if there isn't, then Bettany's word choice and phrasing is some masterful trolling.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Spader has been listed as "Ultron (Voice)" on Google's Wandavision cast list for weeks, but it's not clear if that is an issue with Google's algorithm or not.

https://www.google.com/search?sa=X&...w=1824&bih=1038

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

How come Billy and Tommy didn't inherit any of their dad's features and have a different color hair than their mom?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

jassa posted:

The Mind Stone which Cap took back in time still ended up atomised by Thanos, right? There's no (known) alternate timeline duplicate floating around like there is with Loki's Tesseract/Space Stone?

In Endgame, they spell out the time travel rules with "Back to the Future is bullshit."

Anything that gets sent back in time or changed in the past is effectively in a split timeline that exists separately from the original timeline. Banner says that you can't actually change the past and it just creates a cascading series of alternate timelines.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

mind the walrus posted:

Not a spoiler b/c it's in the advertising-- the Loki series is literally about the TVA (agency that deals with time travel shenanigans) so we'll probably get more clarification on that. No idea how it'll square with the multiverse poo poo coming up.

The description of the show says that the TVA monitors all possible realities and that time travel creates separate realities that branch off from the "main" reality, so it should be exactly like Endgame. Loki is traveling to different realities/universes and not just different points in the main timeline.

quote:

Says Feige, “Loki is coming to Disney+, and I know what you’re saying: ‘Didn’t I see Loki die in Infinity War?’ You did, but what else did you see in Endgame?” The answer is that during the “time heist,” the mainline Avengers we love created a variety of alternate timelines when they changed the past, one of them included accidentally giving Loki back the Cosmic Cube after his capture at Stark Tower, which we first saw in 2012’s first Avengers movie. Instead of being taken back to Asgard to await punishment though, Loki teleported off-Earth to whereabouts unknown.

quote:

The Time Variance Authority is an infinitely vast bureaucracy that governs a significant number of realities in the ever growing multiverse. The organization has dedicated itself to keeping tabs on every reality that exists. Endgame established that you can't change your own past, so each potential outcome exists in a different universe on its own.

The question I got asked more than any other after Endgame is where did Loki go? What happened to Loki? This series will tell you what happened to Loki right after that. He goes to a number of places.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

The tl;dr version of time travel is:

Terminator/Back to the Future: Time Paradoxes can exist.

Endgame: Time Paradoxes can't exist.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Firebert posted:

So Captain America built a second time machine in an alternate timeline and then old Steve Rogers time traveled back to the MCU main universe in a different area, then drove to Tony's house and hid in some bushes for a couple of hours until his young self left and then sat on a bench?

:psyduck:

He was supposed to come back originally, so he would have still had one charge left to return.

The best thing with any time-travel fiction is to not think about it too much.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Did the Avengers just leave Vision's dead body on the ground and Wakanda let some foreign military agency just haul billions of dollars of vibranium out of the country? Tony Stark never even tried to revive him on his own?

Kind of a dick move, guys.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

JoylessJester posted:

I know the thread's moved on but,

Isn't the point of the Banner/Anicent One conversation not that putting the stones back would avoid the creation of split timelines but that without infinity stones the new timelines would be 'doomed' in someway?

I though that statement was intended to build up to whatever wacky phase 4 stuff happens in the now stoneless Main MCU timeline.

Yes, Banner says that they can't change their own timeline, but that they will return the stones to the exact moment they were taken in that timeline to avoid ruining the alternate timeline.

:350:

quote:

Time travel in Avengers: Endgame is based on a popular time travel theory in the field of quantum physics. At one point, Iron Man even drops the name David Deutsch — that’s the guy who came up with the “Many Worlds Theory” or “Multiverse Theory.” Basically, he argues that the place we conceive of as our universe is just one of many parallel universes. And if you change something in the past, you create a new timeline, branching out from the original timeline. So nothing they do in the past affects their main timeline.

For example, in the original timeline, Loki was captured and taken to Asgard by Thor in 2012. In Endgame, the 2023 Avengers accidentally facilitate Loki’s escape with the Tesseract (the Space Stone). But when they travel back to the future, Loki hasn’t used the Stone to wreak havoc for a decade. That all happened in a separate timeline. This logic eliminates the option of simply traveling back in time and killing Thanos as a baby, as Rhodes suggests, because it would not change their future, only an alternate universe.

The Ancient One (Tilda Swinton) insists that in order to maintain the reality of each universe that they visit, the Avengers need to return the Infinity Stones to the places they found them after they are done using them. It’s fine if they create separate timelines, but if they deprive one timeline of the gems that maintain its reality, then they essentially break that timeline. Captain America does return all the stones at the end of the movie. (He also returns Mjolnir, the hammer that Thor took from Asgard, back to Thor’s home planet for the same reason.)

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

live with fruit posted:

What kind of fights do the Young Avengers typically fight? Like, do they have to rescue the grown Avengers or something?

lil' Thanos and Namor.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

OldSenileGuy posted:

What’s the method of time travel in Agents of SHIELD? Is it the same kind of quantum realm fuckery they use in Endgame, or something else? I feel like I finally have a unified time travel theory as it works in the MCU in my head, but AoS could screw it all up. (and if it does, then screw it, they don’t count)

Ancient alien rocks.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Desperado Bones posted:

If I'm not wrong there's gonna be an openly gay couple in one of the new movies.

Two of the Eternals are a gay couple. I don't really know anything about those characters, so not sure if they usually are or if it was a change for the movie.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

OldSenileGuy posted:

Boy that show really went places, huh?

The last season features Phil Coulson going to hell and then being reborn as a sentient robot that gets stuck in a time loop and fucks Ming-Na Wen.

Also, they go back in time to find a young Bill Paxton who gets teleporting powers after a nazi injects him with the blood of a man with no eyes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Have they ever elaborated what powers Vision has from the mind stone and what his body normally has?

Seems like flying and the beam are obviously because of the stone. But, was the Ultron able to phase? Seems unlikely.

Is White Vision essentially just a very strong and very durable walking dude?

Somewhat related: Why did the mind stone make Quicksilver super fast?