Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I wish they'd not used CGI and digital animation though. It's the little touches, but it still looks too clean and modern.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Edmund Lava posted:

The effects for episode one were done with wires and camera tricks except when plot relevant.

Really? Some of the plates during the opening scene screamed CGI.

Where were the wires?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Not a Marvel fan, I find most of their stuff boring and haven't seen a film since Ultron. Hell, I barely remember that film; a mate had to point out that Wanda had a different accent in that film than she does here.

(Thank god I'm not a fan tbh, because if I was I know I'd find that opening scrawl they do cringe af. As it is, it's just kinda obnoxious.)

But this was a lot of fun, because it's not an action show. It's a super weird high concept sitcom, where the plot's equal parts ridiculous and dramatic -- kinda like Kidding or Avenue 5.

At the end of the day I don't know why the show is telling a story about comic book characters becoming sitcom characters, or why they're doing a paleontology of the American sitcom, but I want to know where that's going, and what the show's ultimate conclusions are going to be.

If it's just a high concept gimmick, then the show's a bit crap. But the way the show's been embracing crusty old sitcom scenarios (forgetting about an anniversary, the boss coming around to dinner, the husband and wife talent show), and mixing them with post-modern thriller aspects, makes me hopeful that they're actually going somewhere with it. What are they trying to say about the relationship between the comic and the romcom, and the contrast between 50's television and contemporary television?

What I really don't want is some utterly mundane action conclusion, where people sling magic lights at each other while they try to snap Wanda out of razzle-dazzle-ing the planet into Mister Roger's Neighborhood.

I guess what I'm saying is that I really hope these choices are artistically purposeful, and not just some gimmick-y narrative strip tease.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Speaking as someone who couldn't care less about comics "mythology", and who hasn't seen a Marvel film in about five years (or a single episode of the Dick Van Dyke show, or Bewitched) I think this is perfectly accessible.

The main characters are trapped in a sitcom world, and the exact nature of their entrapment is unclear. That's all you really need to know.

Codependent Poster posted:

I think the show was probably made to be binged

Yeah, I don't think this is true. Episodes are too self-contained, and it flies in the face of the Disney Plus business model. It's clearly episodically structured television.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Desperado Bones posted:

Yeah, by the look of the trailers and advances it seems at certain moment poo poo's gonna hit the fan and HARD.

The advance screenings / reviewers have seen as much as is currently out. Anything else is just speculation and a couple of random press titbits.

The format it currently has is the one it's going to maintain for most of the season, give or take an episode set entirely outside the bubble.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

I just hope at the end Wanda isn't responsible for all this because I don't want Phase 4 being the phase where everyone is trying to kill Wanda.

They could just so some overwrought redemption story, it's not like they don't play those out all the time. They're boilerplate, particularly in contemporary / urban fantasy.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

But yea making this a result of her trauma is a good way to go. As long as there isn't a "oh she just had to get over it" moment.

Surely that imperative is implicit to the narrative? Or am I not following?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Everyone posted:

That said, there's nothing she's done that can't be ended or "undone." Nobody's dead or suffered some horrid, permanent fate yet.

Pretty sure they'll all have horrific PTSD after this. Barring nonconsensual(?) mindwipes.

How many people do you think randomly got into violent accidents and were unable to seek or receive help? Even assuming that the worst of what has happened is limited to the two incidents of violence that we've seen, living with the semiconcious knowledge that you're someone's living Munster doll is deeply hosed.

Emma Caulfield's character didn't seem to understand blood. The only reason her hand isn't an infected pustulent* abscess is because this isn't that kind of show.

*Apparently the word is NOT "pussy".

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jan 25, 2021

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

Because I have no idea how to steal images from instagram, here is a screen shot. Can anyone identify whats in the top TV on Darcy's top? Spoilered just in case

boobs

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Did Marvel release this many trailers for The Mandalorian?

I know there's no real way of telling, but I get the sense that Disney isn't seeing the numbers for this program that they wanted to see.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Every time this show cut away to outside the dome it takes a huge nosedive. It's so exposition heavy, and there's a lot of standing in for audience feelings and some terrible dialogue. The military stuff felt like it was written by a poor man's James Cameron. (Though yeah I got a thrill out of the drone standoff, even if the show seems undecided on how dirty it's going to get its hands -- this isn't going to turn into Servant).

The stuff inside the dome was generally much better, and now you've got fractures forming between the cast, more dramatic and dynamic. Paul Bettany's really good in this, though it's obviously Olsen's show here. I'm enjoying the weird three or four levels of performance here -- you've got (deliberately?) terrible moppets doing historical sitcom acting, Olsen and Bettany playing it straight, and Katherine Hanh desperately vamping it up to keep the masquerade going.

Speaking of, did Hanh's character kill that dog? Probably not, as I seriously doubt this show is going to embrace just how hosed up the premise already is without adding in wanton pet murder, but the thought crossed my mind.

I mean, obviously the situation's hosed up, but it's pulling its punches and leaving a lot to the implication. Not super pleased about that, but what can you do. Disney gonna Disneyfy.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Djarum posted:

Also we never got one of the best looks in comics really at all. I hope the Moon Knight series is good.

Personally I'm excited for Disney+ to start telling stories that begin on the small screen, rather than tie into the big. So I'm keen for Moon Knight and She-Hulk, because it feels like they'll be series, rather than expansion packs.

That's irrational, because there's so little out, I know. But I'm just describing my feelings, not spitting facts.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Combat Pretzel posted:

Just started to watch the latest episode. I sure hope that incompetent gung-ho boss trope is gonna have an actual point.

I mean, it's pretty obvious where this is going, and it sucks. It's very James Cameron in a bad way, writing off all the legitimate objections onto an obvious villain.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Lid posted:

WandaVision not doing Arrested Development is a missed opportunity.

The finale's GOT to be The Good Place tho, right?

I mean: RIGHT?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

The Saddest Rhino posted:

the netflix punisher is coming in to shoot wanda and blow up her family

Weeds.

The ultimate family comedy.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

double negative posted:

what’s up w/ Dottie though

Probably nothing.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Protagorean posted:

It was so underpushed I'd never heard about it until you asked and it apparently sucked so bad Marvel axed it after one ten-episode season (though being the one errant project remaining from the aborted line-up of similarly themed Hulu MCU shows probably had more to do with it)

I think there's still the Modok show, and the filmed but never released(?) squirrel girl show.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yeah, it's not really a narrative event that bears scrutiny.

Mentally I've placed it in a box and I'm basically ignoring it. They'll play it for pathos once or twice, like this story is, or they'll handwave it but, lol, this is a cartoon world.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Sanguinia posted:

That being said I didn't really get that that was supposed to be Salem in the intro anyway. It was literally just "spooky woods and old-timey clothes," it could have been any witches coven anywhere and any pre-industrial post-medieval time.

May I be the first to introduce to you, a little TV show called Salem.

(It's bad, but every so often a grown arse naked man crawls out of a ten year old's bleeding neck hole, or something like that.)

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

"this wonderful actress"

So wonderful you couldn't remember her name or bother to give her a shout out?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Collapsing Farts posted:

Legion is okay but a lot of it is pretty bad

Yeah. Legion's trying, but very pretentious and slow, and often very crap.

There's some cool stuff throughout, but there's also some truly awful stuff that I wish I hadn't sat through.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Who decided to shoot the therapy scenes in nasal cam? Jesus. (She's a villain, right?)

FlamingLiberal posted:

I watched it just a bit ago....and am I the only one who felt like that was all very clunky? A LOT was shoved into 50ish minutes of episode, but not much actually happens. I have been looking forward to this but I hope it gets better from here, as there was a lot of setup but the hook of US Agent showing up at the end was not really that big of a deal IMO.

I'm not going to give up on it but that was not a good start.

also

https://twitter.com/attackerman/status/1373115682083201027?s=20

Yeah, I thought that was garbage, for the reasons you've stated, but also because:

- that opening fight sequence was ludicrous. We've got to keep a low profile. One convoy chase and two exploded flight craft later...
- the money stuff is nonsense. Did I hear that right, and apparently superheroes rely on a fawning public providing donations? So they're poor and supported by donations from a loving public, but apparently also got enough money to support cutting edge (illegal?) international spy operations and expensive haircuts / Japanese sushi bar dates. And you gotta know neither of them pay for public gym memberships. Like, you're not going to be able to genuinely engage with money and work, so don't even loving pretend you are, show.
- that really garbage bit with the Tunisian family. Don't pretend you've got anything to say about race, show. You don't.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Koirhor posted:

No goddammit the fact that Sam doesn’t have the money on hand stretches credulity, loving Stark pays poo poo I guess

They do it because they are heroes. :america:

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Bleck posted:

every criticism you've suggested in the context of sam's finances is contradicted directly by the text of the show, and therefore the only conclusion I can reasonably be expected to reach is that you disagree with the subtext (eg. "hey did you know racism exists")

I don't know maybe I'm just annoyed that after two months of listening to everyone on the internet fawn over WandaVision's desperate, floundering attempts to say anything meaningful we now have a show that flies out the gate with "racism, you know?" and the response I'm seeing all over the place is "uh, unrealistic. really stretching my credulity, here,"

How can anyone engage you in a good faith argument if you're going to assume they're erasing the notion of racism for disagreeing with you.

I think it's very clear that this scene is about racism. I think it's very clear that hundreds of thousands of people suffer because banks are elitist cesspools whose entire existence is about controlling the flow of money -- and that leaning into systems of oppression in order to make more money isn't just a thing they're guilty of, but a prospect they actively lean in to.

I also think it's completely loving bugnuts that Sam -- one of the most famous people on the planet -- would walk out of there with nothing, and I think it's actively stupid that the show assumes that not only will see him as powerful and well-connected, but that a bank wouldn't also see it that way. I don't care what the legal statutes say, no bank is going to suffer that PR.

Sure, you can handwave it all away with some off-screen nonsense about how social and economic paradigms have changed because of all the space alien drama, but, like, the show needs to actually engage with that material and do the hard work to tell us exactly what the world is like now, or else it's just guilty of ad hoc rationalisation (something WandaVision was certainly also guilty of -- for the record, I thought that show got pretty bad.)

This is a story that should be told, and could be told -- you could tell this story with Luke Cage. You couldn't tell this story with the man who was instrumentally involved in defeating Earth's first alien invasion, and returned 50% of the population to the planet. That's loving nonsense, and it's one of a number of scenes that beggars my belief that the show has any real idea how to talk about the intersection between race and class.

If it works for you, fine. More power to your elbow. But, for me, it's deeply stupid.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Bleck posted:

if the statement is "racism exists" and the response is "I don't believe this is plausible" I'm not entirely sure what other conclusion you'd like me to reach

I think you're mischaracterising people's arguments in ways that aren't accurate, but, like, I get it? It's loving frustrating to see this kind of gesture -- and it's Disney doing this, so it can only ever be a gesture -- be undermined in the discourse like this. But, at the same time, it's a difficult gesture to engage with because of all the sci-fi gubbins, and the loose way the setting has established its world building, and the way the scene doesn't really examine the privilege of the characters involved, blah blah blah. It just doesn't work for me.

But I think your assessment of other posters is based on a false premise. I don't find the scene plausible, but do you really think I believe racism is over?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Thundercracker posted:

Omg. This is "I don't think Stormfront is a nazi." all over again. Like, I thought it was hamfisted they literally had to find a treasure chest of nazi memorabilia and a literal picture of Hitler attending her wedding, but apparently any text other than the most obvious text is just gonna fly over people's heads when it comes to racism.

Do you think there are posters here who don't think this scene is about racism?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Bust Rodd posted:

Yeah I can’t emphasize this enough. It’s not that we don’t understand or recognize racism, it’s that fame and celebrity of a certain status invalidate the specific type of racism being displayed here, to a degree that it feels extremely contrived, and it didn’t have to be.

Exactly. If the scene had been about the Falcon's anonymous sister trying to secure this loan, and not the Falcon, no one would be having this conversation!

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Bleck posted:

I do not know how else it needs to be explained to you that fame does not render black people invulnerable to racism in the United States of America

people here keep saying "I don't think anyone is denying racism" in between constant repeated denials of a very basic and observable facet of racism

I think the problem here is that Sam's not just famous, he's a superhero; that's not a role that has a one-to-one correlation with the real world, and therefore different people are going to interpret the level of social power he has differently. It's like Barrack Obama: Alien Killer turned up at my local Bank of America. To me, it makes no sense that a bank would even see him in an open room, let alone deny him a loan. But I guess you see it differently?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Lord_Magmar posted:

Is he recognised by Tunisian civilians, or fellow military operators. Because if it’s the second then we’ll, that’s not quite the same thing as being famous, so much as being a known operative by other operatives. I actually cannot immediately recall.

It's a civilian family.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

King Of Coons posted:

They had the banker not be able to place Sam to answer this

Or he's just a racist who didn't expect to see one of the most famous people in the world wander into work. Could just be cognitive disconnect.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

sticklefifer posted:

Kind of depends on if they're all 45-50 minutes long. If it's 6 episodes of the same length, that's about as long as 3 movies. They can afford to spend that kind of time on the first act.

I mean, not really. Spending ages on an opening act is a classic genre show problem.

That said, I didn't have any problems with the structure of this episode. It's fairly good.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

achillesforever6 posted:

If I recall correctly there was this cancel Marvel Comic with the whole idea about a scrap iron man to take down Stark Industries; I think it was being a written by a semi-famous leftist genre writer.

China Mieville, yeah.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Barry Convex posted:

fun fact, the AOS showrunners said in an interview around the time the finale aired that they did have plans for MODOK at one point, but Marvel Studios pulled rank and they ultimately weren't allowed to use him. not sure when/where in the show's run this would have been though

Season 4, instead of Agents of HYDRA.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Liked it way more than last week's episode. The psychology stuff continues to be a bit wonky, and the show seems to be brushing up against the spectre of queer baiting, but it was decently paced, made some smart choices. I thought the cop scene was handled far better than the bank scene last week, though the move I thought was smartest -- and the one that I've not seen anyone talk about -- was the decision to introduce a Falcon knock-off into the mix, since it sets up the potential to confront the tokenism both of the role and of the role.

(I find it a bit off that he and Wyatt Russel's character have apparently been best friends since highschool, but in the sense of it being a massive coincidence rather than anything else.)

If the Flagsmashers aren't meant to be villains, then someone really should have told the composer that. The echoing chanting over their scenes removes a lot of the nuance there, but I'm reserving judgement on the show's take until I work out what the series is doing with its female characters.

So a B to last week's C.

MH Knights posted:

Doesn't Walker mention something about him and Hoskins being on a mission in Chile a couple weeks beforehand at the beginning of the episode? That alone sounds kind of not a good thing considering America's past in Central and South America.

I don't think this tracks with the Libyan airspace stuff from the previous episode, unfortunately.

Generally I'm a little unbelieving of the idea that this show could ever truly criticise the actions of the American military when it's taking so much of their money.

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Flagsmashers good, the misdirect about them in the first episode seemed to get a bunch of people since them being the antagonists due to their ideology was a complaint I saw people bring up. I do hate the heroic sacrifice part, just knock the loving telephone pole down and peace out of there, knock a few of them down and just leave instead of running directly into their gunfire. I did think it was funny that Bucky decided to run to the first truck and open the back, like the guys in the other truck DIRECTLY BEHIND HIM wouldn't notice?

Yeah both of these things bothered me, particularly the truck sequence. The former I can excuse as being a subject of that elastic quality of emotional editing -- the same sort of reality bending powers than any lead character seems to have whenever they need to say some lengthy emotional goodbyes during what's meant to be a split-second life-or-death situation. But the former's hilariously egregious -- a shame, given some of the more inventive staging going on elsewhere in the episode.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

mind the walrus posted:

The "actual" villain of the Avengers 1 movie isn't Loki, or even Thanos. It's all the naysayers who said the Avengers as a cinematic concept wouldn't work.

I... what?

No, I'm pretty sure it's the shooty smashy bad man?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Bust Rodd posted:

Rewatching Avengers has really cemented in my mind that the Loki show is a really stupid and weird idea. He’s a terrible murderer whose super power is lying, that’s not an Anti-Hero, that’s literally just a villain

I suspect Disney would rather forget about associating Loki with all that Nazi imagery.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Cage Kicker posted:

This goon is so advanced they've come up with a way to decide if something sucks in advance!

But, uh, you're gonna say the same sort of thing to anyone who's excited for the show too, right?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
It's because they filmed in Prague and she's a German film actor.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Two questions, since I'm not planning on watching any of the films any time soon:

1. Zemo's HYDRA, right? And HYDRA are, what, Nazis? That's the vibe I got from SHIELD / Winter Soldier.

2. The made up pirate city they went to this episode has never been seen before, right? It's not somewhere I'm expected to have heard of, it's just some made up comics city, yeah?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Hellbore posted:

1. Hydra are indeed Nazis, but Zemo was unrelated other than using old Hydra info to accomplish his plans

Ahh. I was confused as to why no one else was reacting to what seemed like the Nazi was getting all the good lines in this buddy cop team up, but this makes more sense now.