Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Combat Pretzel posted:

I'm curious how long they're going to push this Agatha thing. With what within the series itself alluding that Wanda could have been able to take it up with Thanos, I suppose that the initial confusion of the whole situation is a reason of being powerless over this jealous witch, but I sure hope it doesn't get dragged out in the second season.

I'm not even going to spoil this, but as of now there are no plans for a second season. Whatever strings are left at the end of this season are being carried on in the next Dr Strange and Spider-Man movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Shang-Chi is not Disney Plus. Only MCU film is Black Widow.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Companies are already getting more confident about movies in theaters. Especially after seeing Godzilla vs Kong make money even though it was on streaming much cheaper. By September they're not going to be releasing films simultaneously on Disney Plus anymore.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

live with fruit posted:

If Sharon's the Power Broker, that means she sent goons out to kill the Flag Smashers so why would she be helping them now?

There's nothing in the episode that says The Power Broker communicated with the Flag Smashers in any way. It's far more likely that Batroc was told to find them, help them take out Falcon and then bring them back.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Been reaching the MCU and Tony Stark is so inconsistent from Civil War to Spiderman Homecoming. Like his whole argument in Civil War is that superheroes need regulation and then in Homecoming he gives a child an enhanced techno suit with little to no oversight.

He actually gives him the suit in Civil War. And he's the oversight. There's even a plot point in Homecoming where they have to disable it because he's tracking everything Peter does closely.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yeah the program in the suit is even called Training Wheels.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Organic Lube User posted:

I'm enjoying the new Elon Musk show with Patton Oswalt.

MODOK is a much lesser supervillain.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

BrianWilly posted:

Is there anything substantial at all to suggest that they have amnesia other than rumors someone heard somewhere? The trailer makes no indication of that at all.

People are speculating based purely on the comics where this is the case.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Feels obvious that the "Devil" is going to be Loki with his/her helmet on.

And Loki's gender being listed as "Fluid" on his paperwork is definitely a setup for Lady Loki.

(Do I need to spoil baseless personal speculation?)

The Devil thing isn't speculation. The director has straight up stated the Devil is Loki. There is no Mephisto.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

They cast Richard E. Grant in the show and rumor is he's playing Old Loki so I'm guessing that is the evil variant running around.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

socialsecurity posted:

Didn't Thor say Asgardian stuff is not magic but super advanced technology that looks like magic?

Loki specifically uses magic. Same as his mother.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

"I'll gut you like a fish Casey" has to be a Scream reference right? That's a weird reference to make.

EDIT: Yeah I love The Adjustment Bureau and was getting a lot of those vibes here as well.

X-O fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jun 10, 2021

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

FlamingLiberal posted:

So are the ‘time keepers’ different from the Living Tribunal? I thought going into this show that those three statues represented the Tribunal.

Yes completely different entities. The Living Tribunal is a cosmic entity that judges cosmic level disputes.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Zero One posted:

Sorry, Puck is one of the Eternals.

Nah, not an Eternal, but he had way too much fun in hell one time.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

live with fruit posted:

When they reset a timeline, does that mean that everything goes back to wherever it was at the time of the branch? So for example, those Mongolians would only go back like 3 minutes.

I think that's what we're meant to think. I think it might be a bit more sinister than that.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I think everyone is overthinking the deviation level thing. The TVA lied to everyone. It's not just any deviation that needs addressing. It's deviations that threaten the purpose of the TVA existing. So Loki being born as a girl or crocodile or whatever is not something they'd pursue until there's a turning point in that Loki's life that threatens the TVA in some way. Other variants you see in background shots that obviously aren't threatening and aren't main characters are just window dressing and fodder for making new agents/workers.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I would doubt it's -ii. Probably more odd like -ar, -um, -om or something off the wall.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Nah, it’s 100% Kang because we’ve already got Ravonna, Alioth, and the whole series is about someone making real sure the timeline follows a single path for some reason. Also, this person has assembled an army of people from across times and universes to enforce their plan. That’s Kang.

Plus he’s a complicated enough character that there’s a definite benefit in establishing him in Loki before he shows up in Quantumania.

They were laying it on pretty thick on this episode with The Sphinx, Alioth, Castle Limbo, and even Qeng Enterprises so if it's not that they are intentionally misdirecting us. It almost has to be some version of Kang/Immortus/Gryphon.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Someone with more marvel lore knowledge than me said that Ravonna is connected to Kang, so maybe she's behind it all, and the Ravonna that is working at the TVA is a variant.

The more I've thought about it during the day the more I've actually landed on this idea as well.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I imagine he was very confused.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Loki has not been dumped in an alternate universe TVA. There is no alternate universe TVA. The TVA exists outside of the multiverse because of how it functions. Loki has been dumped into a TVA that has been retroactively taken over by the Conqueror variant that was mentioned earlier in the episode.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

This never would have happened if Tony Stark had made a Hulk size elevator.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I think if there hadn't been a season two announcement with this the villain out of nowhere would have been kind of narratively disappointing. But I've seen tons of TV shows that have introduced a new villain in the last episode of a season. It's done all the time on shows with multi seasonal arcs.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Phylodox posted:

I know you’re not joking, but it’s got to be Reed. Nobody else’s ego could compare.

:doom:

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

live with fruit posted:

Like this all ends with Majors playing Reed Richards in F4?

I mentioned in the BSS thread that I'd love for this to happen. He doesn't have to be Reed's descendant, just let him be Reed. Everyone is familiar with the variant concept now. Let it fly. More Majors is a good thing.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I feel a lot more of this show in particular was rewarding to the people that have actually read the comic stories it draws from. A lot of the concepts in this show are largely unchanged from the page unlike other MCU adaptations. This show felt more like a deep dive into Marvel comic nerdery than I feel a lot of the other stuff has. Sometimes even in fan circles not a lot of love is given to those old Stern/Gruenwald era stories from the late '70s into the mid '80s. Gruenwald in particular I find is kind of viewed sometimes as a nerd's nerd in that he was obsessed with detail, canon, history, and weird cosmic concepts like this. And this show really embraces that aspect of his work.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

stev posted:

I feel like I have so many logistical questions about how Kang works and how he does what he does.

Like, how does killing him instantly causes the timelines to split? I got the impression that the 'end of time' is still happening linearly (which is why he didn't know what would happen after a certain point). Is his death supposed to undo all the work he's done previously and instantly cause all of those branches to reappear? So is he a regular dude with time travel technology or does he somehow have some inherent power? And how has this version of him lived for millennia?

I don't know if not having read the comics makes it harder to understand. Either way I liked it - and I really hope this is a setup for the next few phases of the MCU rather than just a setup for Loki season 2.

This is just another one of those things where I think comic readers are more primed for the events of the series than your average viewer. I watch this and it clicks with me immediately. But I've had nearly 30 years experience reading timeline changes like Age of Apocalypse, Heroes Reborn, Secret Wars, all the Infinity and Kang events. This kind of upheaval is like second nature to me because all of my favorite Marvel books deal with these kinds of bigger cosmic concepts. I can understand why someone who doesn't have that knowledge might be rather confused. The actual ending didn't really shock me because as soon as she stabbed him my first though was that now the Conqueror is going to be the one in charge of the TVA. Mobius being reset did surprise me a little but I knew as soon as one Kang was dead another would have already taken his place in the time stream. And that's just from years of reading this stuff.

X-O fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jul 14, 2021

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Klungar posted:

I mean, the latter is just a rip-off of/homage to the former/the Council of Reeds

Which in itself is a direct reference to the Council of Kangs.

Robot Style posted:

There's also the statues of the timekeepers in mansion, with a fourth statue toppled and broken. I'm guessing that those were just put there as a red herring to imply that the man behind the curtain was a fourth time keeper who had killed the other three and replaced them with robots, but there also needs to be a reason in the narrative for them to be there. Maybe He Who Remains is just be the last survivor of a small group of Kang variants that started the TVA or something, and the timekeepers were real at one point.

This might be a super obscure reference to the comics as well as there was a fourth one who was exiled.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

DogsInSpace! posted:

That was the arc with the "fixed" Dooms right? Can't remember who wrote that but I loved that arc. Reed Richards as always been more frightening to me than Doom. Doom is held in check by ego which limits him... Reed Richards doesn't have that flaw. My personal take is the rest of the FF are the main thing that keep Reed from turning into the most dangerous villain in the 616.Majors could pull off an amazing Reed Richards. Is it wrong I kinda want him teamed up with Idris Elba as Benjamin Grimm?

That's not even really subtext or a theory. It's in the text of the story. The 616 Reed is the only recorded Reed that doesn't go evil. Because he's the only one with a family. It's a big part of the arc.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

That's not entirely it. Other Reeds have had families but they always lose them to the work. 616's Reed works because he's the only one with a father who steers him back to his family

Well I didn't want to get into the details. But yeah.

DogsInSpace! posted:

Hah... it feels like I read that a century ago and sad my memory forgot that rather important part. Thanks X-O. Who was it that wrote that or the name of the arc so I can find it again in TPB? I want to say Hickman but it really feels like centuries ago. I always loved my comics since I was a toddler but took a long break until recently. Trying to find TPBs of all those cbrs I used to have. Still want to find those old hard drives as I had like every Batman, X-Men, Avengers, FF, Thor and so on from the start. Was like a treasure trove of comic archives that are probably sitting in some relatives basement/attic.

Jonathan Hickman.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

What if...? is supposed to be episodic. So, if there is a coherent narrative conclusion at the end, then that would be weird.

Nah, it's not totally episodic. There's been merch leak referring to the Guardians of the Multiverse in the series with the team consisting of pretty much all the main characters we've seen in the trailers. They were also in the trailer together for a split second.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

stev posted:

Bear in mind that we don't know exactly what diversion in the timeline caused Sylvie to be born a woman. She might be genetically a completely different person who was simply where Hiddleston Loki was when Odin adopted him.

Beyond that she is for all intents and purposes a different person. She only shared Loki's upbringing until age 8 and then spent her life isolated and on the run. So it's not surprising that she didn't develop Loki's snark, wit or arrogance. He spent hundreds of years being raised and groomed into royalty!

Yeah her insistence, and one of the things demonstrated over and over, is she's not Loki. It's even the last thing she says to Loki.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The Dave posted:

I don't want to publicly admit this but I don't have D+ and I "watch" these MCU shows by second-hand through youtube reactors. I watch about 2-3 and I get a pretty good idea of what has happened and the story.

That being said I had a question I was hoping to get verification on for my own understanding:

The "sacred" timeline is sacred in that it keeps that Kang in power right? Not pruning the branches does introduce chaos, but the chaos is coming in the form of the other Kangs reintroducing the multiverse war and potentially a worse Kang becoming the He Who Remains (though technically a better Kang could also win, it's unknown).

It goes back to the comment about Thanos and the snap and how it was per-determined. Pre-determined events exist because Kang is allowing them to, to protect himself.

Come on. Just pirate it. It's fine. This sounds like some seventh level of hell torture. Don't subject yourself to youtube reactions. Nothing is worth that.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

euphronius posted:

My interpretation of the end was the difference at the end was Loki chose not to become the ruler of the world “take the throne” which caused things to change rapidly

No. The death of He Who Remains allows the other variants of him to run rampant and one has now gone back in time and retroactively usurped control of the TVA.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

euphronius posted:

What was the (metaphorical) thunder in the distance and then HWR saying “I don’t know what’s going on now”

His knowledge of events is based on being in the 'sacred timeline' and knowing what happens there. The decision about to be made breaks that. The timeline starts branching and now events are no longer under his control or knowledge.

euphronius posted:

I thought that was Loki using “free will “ which was referenced many times in the show

Nothing that happened there was free will. The only free will exhibited was by He Who Remains who let a choice be made. But even in that choice both outcomes were already determined.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

live with fruit posted:

This is my understanding. The "sacred timeline" is the one that leads to HWR and anything that doesn't lead to an alternate Kang is fine.

My interpretation is the the sacred timeline isn't just one timeline. There are millions of timelines in the sacred timeline but they all lead to the same conclusion with multitudes of variances along the way. But certain key events must play out in a certain way so that this particular variant of He Who Remains comes into being. Branches are when events pop up that threaten the timeline from reaching the same conclusion and thus need to be pruned. When a branch happens and you prune it, you're not resetting that entire timeline to be an exact duplicate. You're resetting the diverging event and basically forcing it back onto the path. So Sylvie being born a girl, or Gator Loki being an alligator are fine. As long as the events that need to happen do in fact happen. That's why they aren't pruned out the minute they exist. If Sylvie's life had led to the the same events as our Loki then she would have continued existing no matter that she was female. When you're dealing with infinite possibilities some small variances along the way will still lead to other non affected things happening the exact same way.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

He Who Remains literally says that they have to take to the journey to make the change. Resisting that temptation for all they would theoretically want is part of their growth.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Retrowave Joe posted:

Pruning the condescension and snark, we agree on a lot more than you might think.

Not quite. It’s eliminating the variances that would eventually lead to a Kang being created.
If there were only one timeline, then Dr Strange wouldn’t have been able to do what he did in Infinity War.

That doesn’t mesh with what was shown in this series. Endgame still happened, Loki still vanished with the Tesseract. He got heisted by the TVA and, like you said, those people got punted to the end of time to be Alioth food (or at least I think they did, I’d have to go back and watch it again to see if it actually showed them being pruned). What didn’t happen was them retroactively adjusting the timeline so that Loki *didn’t* get away with the Tesseract.

People, land, buildings, tanks, etc. do not equal an entire timeline. It’s just a conglomeration of all the pruned things. As shown, Alioth eats people pretty well, but leaves inorganic matter behind (the ship from the Philadelphia experiment, Old Loki’s crown, everything else lying around in the Void, etc.), probably because a building can’t create a new Kang.

Look at the Sacred Timeline for this like a rope made of tens of millions of fibers, and at the end of the rope is He Who Remains. Throughout time, one of those fibers might come loose. The TVA is there to remove whatever caused it to slip and tuck the thread back into the rope’s fibers. That’s how Strange was still able to sort through 14 million whatever timelines and find the one that led to victory.

I’d continue the analogy but I gotta get back to training. Uhhhh multiverse isn’t just different timelines it’s different dimensions (universes), which is what was colliding at the start of ep 6. Back later.

This post is pretty spot on with what I was saying earlier as well. I completely agree.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

A.o.D. posted:

Fixed that for you.

Only if we get a 10 minute Fred Hembeck animated portion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

What Ifs are great. Two of my favorite issues ever were What Ifs. There are two main series. The first volume ran from 1977-1984 for 47 issues and the second volume ran from 1989-1998 ran for 115 issues. After that there were sporadic one shots and minis up to present day.

Some of my favorite issues:

Volume 1
#1 What if Spider-Man Joined the Fantastic Four?
#3 What if The Avengers Had Never Been?
#22 What if Dr Doom Had Become a Hero?
#24 What if Spider-Man Rescued Gwen Stacy?
#44 What if Captain America Were Revived Today? (Personal favorite of V1)
#45 What if Hulk Went Berserk?

Volume 2
#4 What If the Alien Costume Had Possessed Spider-Man?
#15 What if the Fantastic Four Had Lost the Trial of Galactus?
#26 What if the Punsiher Killed Daredevil? (Personal favorite of V2)
#27 What if Namor Had Joined the Fantastic Four?
#39 What if the Watcher Saved the Multiverse?
#49 What if the Silver Surfer Possessed the Infinity Gauntlet?
#64 What if Iron Man Sold Out?

Other One Shots
What If Doctor Doom Had Become the Thing?
What If: Annihilation (The Annihilation Wave makes it to Earth)
What If: Spider-Man vs. Wolverine (Spider-Man and Wolverine become like a mercenary team, it's really cool)
What if: Newer Fantastic Four (New Fantastic Four vs Thanos)
What If: Secret Wars (Doom wins Secret Wars) (Another personal favorite)
What if: Infinity Thanos (Thanos joins The Avengers)

These are all quick reads. Most of them are on Marvel Unlimited (most of the V2 issues aren't there).