Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Rabid Snake posted:

The malcolm in the middle intro really made me feel old as hell

i remember when that show came out and was releasing new episodes

gently caress

edit: gently caress my account is as old as malcolm in the middle christ

Dude, I feel your pain. Loved the ep and it was the first era flashback I was alive for and I was shocked how well they captured that. I miss early 00s/ late 90s commercials with rad animals.

Hoping like the one goon that Wanda truly is the big bad. Don’t mind smaller parts by minor villains but always liked when heroes break when they realise all their godlike powers are not enough: see pre Rez 90s Hal Jordan. The execution was meh but the concept I always thought was gold. If this is all a plot by Dormammu or Nightmare I will be so disappointed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Everyone posted:

I stated it up-thread, but I don't have a problem with Agatha being "the villain." The real question for me is "Who is singing the Agatha All Along" song?

I mean, consider the song with altered lyrics:

Who's been messing up everything?
It's been The Jews all along
Who's been pulling every evil string?
It's been The Jews all along

And it's revealed that the person singing this song is Hitler.

What. The. Fuq?
Edit: still not as good as “Springtime for Hitler” but I want Mel Brooks to produce this comedy. Maybe in a remake of “Heil Honey, I’m home”

DogsInSpace! fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Feb 25, 2021

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Hobo Clown posted:

Nobody really knows for sure. The writers say he went the long way back and was always Peggy's husband, silently shaking his head as she goes off to do HYDRA's bidding. The directors say he went and created a new Peggy/Steve timeline that he lived in for a while before hopping back, and all the talk of "trimming branches" was for nothing.

Maybe Old Steve will clarify on FATWS? ("No I don't think I will")

Great. Now every time I see FATWS my brain automatically goes to Fat Winter Soldier which makes me think of a vet I know. Thanks goons.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Barry Convex posted:

I swear to god that when I saw Infinity War on opening night in 2018, a bunch of people in front of me cheered when Falcon got dusted. can't say I share the sentiment but it's hard to forget that

Wait... really? I’m guessing you are in the American south. Texas? Why would anyone hate the Falcon? Dude is cool and devotes his life to helping people. Some people might say boring but I can’t imagine anyone cheering him dying.

Falcon is cool and was a decent first episode. Looking forward to more. Bucky parts in therapy really hit hard and should be a good ride.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Sloth Life posted:

Wyatt Russell is drat fine in this. The helmet makes him look drat stupid.

I liked the 'psyching up' session with his lovely lady friend. It was short but it did a lot to humanize him - he's going to be the poster boy for "the road to hell is paved with good intentions".
So agree. “White privilege? I’m just following the chain of command and trying to help”
I saw a horror movie with him and he can go monstrous and violent. I’m thinking he will take the proffered SS improved shot and go more Nuke than comics US Agent. The system has no loyalty for anyone; especially, it’s cannon fodder. Hope this show sticks the landing as I want more people excited for Sam Wilson to be Cap.

MH Knights posted:

Doesn't Walker mention something about him and Hoskins being on a mission in Chile a couple weeks beforehand at the beginning of the episode? That alone sounds kind of not a good thing considering America's past in Central and South America.

Nice. I missed that and really nice touch.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Tom Tucker posted:

Sam and Bucky were literally trying to rip a symbol away from a man, which would leave him just a man. A symbol they both idolize and he covets.

The scene had such intense weight because of that - the symbol meant more than the man they were fighting. Bucky delivering his line “yeah... we do” while just staring downward at the shield was so drat compelling.

Then the episode turns into Sam confronting what holding that symbol means and it’s amazing and Bucky comes to realize his resentment about the shield came from loss of a man not a loss of a symbol and they bond and it’s just great stuff. These are seriously complex and layered characters because a single symbol means different things to all three of them. Just great writing to let the shield be an externalized manifestation of their own mutually exclusive beliefs.

It really was. Loved the episode so much and it made the preceding episodes have more weight. Next episode is going to be an action fest but this episode set up why they will be there. I still feel for Walker. Dude was used, tossed aside when he made his country look bad and in comes someone definitely shady to make it all better. He’s feeling betrayed, vulnerable and desperate to redeem himself and that is the worst time for a vulture to come by. I really hope he doesn’t become the next Winter Soldier. Loved each character moment in this show so far though I’m still rooting for Karli to pull out a redemptive arc out of nowhere. Anthony Mackie killed it this episode and I want him to be my friend. Really enjoy his compassionate take on a super hero. Most movies kinda forget that heroes are supposed to inspire as much as socking nazis in their stupid mouths. Fitting for Captain America. Probably why Steve wanted him with the shield.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Marsupial Ape posted:

No, Posadists. I dislike being misrepresented.

Posadists as in we should launch nukes before the capitalists to ensure the successful revolution of the proletariat or the later days when they thought a little too much about UFOs?

Bleck posted:

gosh won't anybody please think of the poor bourgeoisie

I will think about the plight of the bourgeoisie... when I introduce them to Madame Guillotine.

Hah!

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Zodack posted:

I was really hoping to see more of Bucky's reconciliation about the son he murdered. It's hard to know from the final shot whether he was just moving on or if they came to an understanding. Almost certainly not that quickly, but I wanted to hear more of that conversation

I'll give it a pass solely on it isn't about Bucky or even us, the viewer. Genuine contrition and making amends is about telling someone the truth that will help them and allowing yourself to be held truly accountable. You are told that this could lead to them yelling at you or whatever happens you let them process their grief, loss and pain. Bucky did what he was afraid to do. He knew he couldn't still be his friend and that he was using the old man for his own needs. He made amends and let that man go on with his life to grieve in private. I thought that was a good touch and felt like the guy who made this show actually knows what that means as opposed to what is more typically fodder for tv. Classy touch.

To keep from large black blocks for at least today but give a mini review: show stuck the landing. I knew I was going to like this show but it is nice to not be horribly disappointed. Any complaints I might have are minor and the show was fairly solid beginning to end. The acting was really good and I always liked Anthony Mackie but this was the first time I really thought he shined.

I'm all in as a Captain America fan... and to see Conservative America lose their mind.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

stev posted:

Yeah I really wasn't a fan of Walker teaming up with Sam/Bucky at the end, or his little hero moment stopping the van from falling. That dude does not deserve redemption of any sort, and I really hope the Veep setup at the end goes into some dark places.

I don't think he does. It seemed fairly obvious the guy isn't being redeemed. It's all a dog and pony show by the same guys who wanted to keep using him. The Hydra/Whatever bad guys used it the footage of his minor help and (probably since it is more implied than shown) big PR talking head push to make it seem like he WAS BACK! They get a nice friendly and useful tool in their arsenal that is even more grateful to have a chance to come back. Walker is a grateful puppy just willing to do whatever it takes now that he knows the sting of almost losing it all. I remember literal evidence of cops doing terrible things and they try and spin with these good acts. Worked better in our parents day now that cops are often recorded gleefully gunning people down. But yeah.... I don't think the show was representing that he was truly redeemed any more than Peggy was legitimately grateful to be back in from the cold. As far as Walker showing up to help Cap and Bucky... dude probably was just hinted at just waiting for any chance to find revenge. First sign or hint of Flag Smashers and he was going to show up whether wanted or no. As much as I want to be annoyed by Captain White Privilege he seemed legitimately moved by Sam's words and the guy is just a sad tool by the powers that be. He's still part of the problem but he is someone to be feel some pity for.

Everyone posted:

Exactly. If John Walker had beaten that guy to death in a room with no witnesses, he'd still be "Official" Captain America. Since he did it in public and on-camera - and therefore embarrassed his bosses, not so much. If Sam had button-holed that guy in private, Senator Asshat would have laughed him out of the room. Since he did it in public on TV as Captain America after saving their lives from the angry freckled cute teenage girl terrorist, the GRC has to do the right thing - or at least not do more of the wrong thing.

Absolutely.
Still laughed that the very same room Walker was tossed out in he was invited back to the master's table and almost wagging with glee. "I'm back!" Same room of empty words that Sharon Carter was let back in and she seemed to know they were just bullshit words. As much as this episode had some genuine feel good moments they still didn't seem to gloss over some of the dark.

VagueRant posted:

Wait, were the guys trying to kill everyone in the cargo stacks in ep 3 just bounty hunters? I'd assumed that was the power broker's goons the whole time. And who put the bounty out if not the power broker?

This makes no sense to me given what we now know.
They pulled a John Wick and sent out a blanket reward for killing those guys. A town full of bounty hunters, hit men and criminals of every type just hit a big payday. I wish they could have taken it further but yeah.... those were just rando guys looking to make millions. If I had to guess "why?" Made them super happy when Sharon Carter saved the day and she was invited to help them find Karli, which she already wanted. Why lead them and then endangering the scientist? Er... maybe he was not wanting to just sell to Sharon or maybe it was just a quick way to wrap up a loose end. She didn't say anything but seeds are there and could be spelled out later if they are smart.

To backup that one goon: Captain America literally using drones behind a red, white and blue shield of freedom is really freakin funny

As naive as it was I liked Cap thinking he can convince people to do the right thing with reason and an appeal to their humanity. That bald white guy probably had a chuckle after his chauffeur picked him up and took him to his favourite mistress. As jaded as I can be it is nice to see someone with child's heart full of hope.

DogsInSpace! fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Apr 23, 2021

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Marsupial Ape posted:

I mean, anything you could on any other sandwich, right?

You. Absolute. Bastard.

Thundercracker posted:

So does Condiment King only have yellow mustard and regular ketchup? Cuz that's pretty basic in 2021.

He now has a utility belt carrying over 1000 variations of mustard, ketchup, kraut and onions.
“I’d like an aged Bavarian brown mustard with a dash of hollandaise artesian catsup and cruelty free organic purple onions picked from the urban gardens of Detroit please served at precisely 2 degrees above room temperature.” <fixes my man bun>

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

live with fruit posted:

I've heard he was Marvel's Batman but wow.

He IS but he also is not. He is the chosen of the ancient god Khonshu and he is a crazy man who read comics as a kid and uses the simple fiction of the hero to keep himself out of an asylum. He is a soldier, he is a paladin and he is a spy. He is a rich multi millionaire as well as a street person who crashes in abandoned flops and thinks he is a millionaire and- oh yeah- that brown rat eating a moldy croissant is his best friend and chauffeur Frenchy. He can be charming and debonair, a 4th wall breaking jokester, a grim detective, super goody goody Captain America wannabe and that smelly kid who mumbles to himself but somehow aces the trig test. Weird thing is all these takes are canon. Dunno if I am doing justice to the character but MK is 100% a character that even if you hate him in one comic you might love him in another and (almost) always checking out. I miss the days of Fraction Hawkeye (Pizza Dog krew 4 lyfe), Immortal Iron Fist and the Ellis Moon Knight. I also miss Garth Ennis Punisher but that series has been so tainted by recent real life chuds I'm good with not seeing the Punisher for a good long while... but it's a shame as you could make an insanely stylish and violent neo noir series about old man vet Punisher. <sigh> Effin chuds.

One of my favourite stories from the Ellis MK I want to see on TV is that one shot with the chud aka ANGRY WHITE MAN stereotype who decides to be like Moonie and become a vigilante and... his meeting with his inspiration does not go well for him.

DogsInSpace! fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jun 1, 2021

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Bust Rodd posted:

Everything you guys are saying about Moon Knight is reminding me a ton of The Maxx, which is awesome
You aren't wrong.

Party Boat posted:

Start with the 2014 Warren Ellis run, it's a great introduction to the character and some of the best Moon Knight stories. Ellis only writes the first six issues but Brian Wood takes over from him and is also really good, the whole run is great. After that you can probably go straight into the 2016 Lemire run which is also really good and iirc is a single story.

However when Max Bemis takes over (when the numbering switches to #188), proceed with caution. The tone switches significantly and you may hate it - I really was not a fan of his take on the character. He's at the helm until #200 and there hasn't been a Moon Knight solo book since - there's an Avengers story focusing on him that I haven't read and apparently shouldn't because it sounds really bad.
Good recco and advice. Just caught up on the Avengers stuff (thanks Covid for bringing me back to comics) and while it isn't where I want it to go I look at it more like the 80's West Coast Avengers run... just don't look too deep and if you like the ride then you like it.

XboxPants posted:

I'm gonna be so disappointed when Loki starts airing and all the good posting goes away.

It hasn't all been bad.... I've enjoyed the love for Moon Knight and Oscar Isaac as well as telling people about Matt Fraction. Seriously you guys should check out some Hawkeye, Moon Knight and Immortal Iron Fist trade paperbacks. Pizza Dog is the best and we should be hype for a Hawkeye TV Show because it might actually be charming as all gently caress if they capture even 10% of the comic.

My biggest hope for the Marvel TV is they let the actual directors/showrunners have their own flavour for each of the shows. Wanda/Vision being different from Cap and Winter Soldier was nice. I'd like MK to be a bit gritty violent neo-noir with trippy camera tricks and a large dose of surreal to ... wait did I just describe that show "Happy!"? I miss that weird show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7OYkSgmM-w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggzPWPzLxIc

DogsInSpace! fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jun 2, 2021

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Umbra Dubium posted:

When they go to Pompeii, Loki jumps on an Ox-cart.

Then later they go to Alabama and investigate a "Roxxcart".

Coincidence? I think not.

Mephisto confirmed.

And last episode they mock a division that do nightmares???
Mephisto and Nightmare SuperVillain Team up!
It is Agatha allllll a-long

Jagermonster posted:

The Minutemen being chumps really makes no sense. The people who mess with time are going to be powerful. If a Dr. Strange with a time stone started causing timeline havoc what would these bumbling idiots possibly do?
I know surprise is their thing but I kinda wish the wands/batons had a "shoot a disintegration beam" setting. I can totally buy that you'd have mall cop level enforcers for the lowest level variant scrubs but I would think this all powerful organization would also have some time wizards, teddy bear death ninja kommandos, robot space shark attack squads or something more cool/weird/powerful for the actual real threats. I mean.... "I don't have a card" guy doesn't require anything special but not having something for the occasionally tricksier Loki seems like poor planning and management. What if they had to take down Thanos, Doctor Doom or, heaven forbid, Squirrel Girl?

Kinda hope they do more magic for future Loki fights. Hoping that speech about the difference between duplication and illusion come into play eventually. I don't mind Loki kinda sucking at hand to hand as that really isn't his thing and I'm honestly a bit happy he doesn't do more than c level backyard wrestling moves. Loki's whole MO is mind fuckery, deception, illusion and a stab to the back. Hoping they do more of that in the future and not just settle for beams of light and screaming. Oh well... I'm here for weird retro 70s aesthetic and buddy cop conversations between Loki and Owen Wilson. As long as I have that then the fight scenes are secondary. Almost wish we had more episodes where Loki and Owen solve the case of the week as those shows are 90% chemistry and charisma and we got that in giant amounts.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

ZZZorcerer posted:

lmao
really? that's what you got from that scene?

They do say clothes make the man.

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

It's got to have at least +4 stamina to keep Loki awake

When you roll that 1 it don't matter what bonus gear you have on. I'm fairly sure only a nat 20 would beat that stack of paperwork. Loki needs to level up his bureaucracy and research skills fast. Course he might also bypass using his charm on that one office drone.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Phylodox posted:

I liked this series. It was neat. Felt like the best bits of Doctor Who writ large.

Really liked this and definitely on the whole show feeling very Doctor Who-ish. Not to everyone's taste of course but I like the occasional Sci Fi where it's less about rapid fire and high wire an more talky talky. Problem with talky talky is the charisma and overall talent of the actor has a ton of weight to pull. Loki the show wasn't perfect by any stretch but Hiddleston, Wilson and really everyone in the show were gold. Kinda reminds me of Lucifer where the show is elevated by a great performance. I'm still kinda sad we didn't have more episodes with Wilson and Hiddleston as buddy cops solving timecrimes. Matter of fact that is probably the main weakness of the show.... needed more episodes to breathe a little. To build up the Sophie/Loki romance and the Mobius/ Ravonna friendship if nothing else. It went a little too fast for my tastes but overall really liked the series. Like WandaVision, it had a style and plot I really enjoyed but Loki had a far more enjoyable ending. Still haven't revisited the final WandaVision ep but I remember being very underwhelmed.

Simulation883 posted:

Loved the ending. I honestly think watching week by week and theorizing made it all that much better. I'm curious how it would hold up for people who watch it all at once.

Majors was amazing of course. I cracked up at the "Nice nose." line.

That was a perfect facsimile of a Doctor Who season finale and made me wonder when the Christmas Ep comes out. Not a complaint at all as Loki seemed to revel in being a big budget modern take on classic British Sci Fi. Really enjoyed Majors as a variant of Kang. Definitely hope he is cast as A Richards in some future FF movie. Thought his performance was spot on and I swear I read or saw something once where the heroes meet an old and dying senile version of a future big bad before the actual big bad himself. Either way I really enjoyed it. Last episode was very flashy (Richard E Grant Old Man Loki went out like a G) and glad this one avoided big cgi battle cliche.

Knew I would like this show and happy I wasn't disappointed. Can't wait for more Hiddleston Whovian adventures. Hoping the second season keeps the retro aesthetic as that is one of my other favourite things about this show. I really, really dig the theme song to this show as well.

X-O posted:

I feel a lot more of this show in particular was rewarding to the people that have actually read the comic stories it draws from. A lot of the concepts in this show are largely unchanged from the page unlike other MCU adaptations. This show felt more like a deep dive into Marvel comic nerdery than I feel a lot of the other stuff has. Sometimes even in fan circles not a lot of love is given to those old Stern/Gruenwald era stories from the late '70s into the mid '80s. Gruenwald in particular I find is kind of viewed sometimes as a nerd's nerd in that he was obsessed with detail, canon, history, and weird cosmic concepts like this. And this show really embraces that aspect of his work.
Really good take. This show in general felt like a love letter to not just Marvel nerdery but sci fi and comic nerdery in general. Still get a giant Whovian vibe off the whole show which I could see turning off some.

tweet my meat posted:

Majors was really chewing through scenery, but he still gave a layered performance that really captured the menace, age, and wisdom hiding underneath his youthful looks and cheery tone.

I definitely wasn't sold on the idea of Kang being the next big bad until I actually saw him in action and now I'm 100% on board with the next phase.

loving same. Really liked Seeing this old man variant of Kang. He came of like a guy trying to be playful and silly but using it to disarm you. It was a bit hammy but felt like less of an actor being Nicholas Cage hammy and more like "scary vet grandpa who is trying to convince his grandchild he ISN't scary but somehow becomes even more frightening." I know that is really specific but that is what it felt like to me. That and there was a part of him that genuinely did not care how it ended as he was old and tired. This meeting with the Lokis was a bit of sun sport.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Everyone posted:

I admit that after that I kind of want some kind of "stand-alone" episode to discover how Ravonna Renslayer, schoolteacher variented enough to become Judge Renslayer

Meanwhile Majors's performance reminded me a little of Christopher Eccelston's as the Ninth Doctor as this terrifying, ancient being who was trying really, really hard to be gurny/goofy so as not to scare the holy living gently caress out of everybody around him - and usually failing when he tried.

Really the twist here is that even the TVA was pretty much on a "sacreder-than-thou" timeline. He-Who-Remains pretty much allowed/orchestrated this whole business as a kind of weird job interview for Loki and Sylvie. The choices he offered was pretty much "Leave me in charge and I'll give you some version of the 'happy endings that you think you want" Or "take over for me (whether you kill me or not) and run the TVA in maybe a better, more humane way if you can find one." Or. "Kill me and don't take over for me and after yet another horrifying multiversal war yet another version of me, which might well be worse than I am, will eventually be back in charge eventually.

Well summed up and agreed about Eccelston's 9th Doctor. I was always a bit sad it only lasted a season as I liked his take on the Doctor; also I am a sucker for male and female relationships in tv/movies that don't involve romance but more of a respect between people.

Gavok posted:

It reminds me of a Justice League episode where Superman went centuries (possibly thousands of years) into the future where Vandal Savage is the only around and has been since accidentally destroying the Earth. Normally entirely stoic, Savage is so excited to see anyone that he's like a child inviting a new friend over to see his cool toys.

That was such a great moment... especially Supes feeling a friendship with a guy that full on admitted to genocide and atrocities on an almost undreamt scale but here he was, thousands of years later, a broken old man alone and in pain. The fact that Superman felt sympathy even for him was such a good Superman chracter moment that I wish more people would remember. One of the best parts of Superman isn't the power and abilities but the fact that someone with those abilities still ends up somehow keeping a compassionate and generous heart. To Superman saving kittens in trees and giving a uplifting speech to children is just as, if not more important, than punching Darkseid in his ugly mug. Like the LEGION told him.... Superman's true gift is hope to be better and create a better world. I'll stop gushing about Superman now.

Azhais posted:

That would be the Interdimensional Council of Reeds, tyvm

That was the arc with the "fixed" Dooms right? Can't remember who wrote that but I loved that arc. Reed Richards as always been more frightening to me than Doom. Doom is held in check by ego which limits him... Reed Richards doesn't have that flaw. My personal take is the rest of the FF are the main thing that keep Reed from turning into the most dangerous villain in the 616.Majors could pull off an amazing Reed Richards. Is it wrong I kinda want him teamed up with Idris Elba as Benjamin Grimm?

On topic: rewatched again and still love it. The final episode closing credits Loki theme again felt very Dr Who.

DogsInSpace! fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jul 14, 2021

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

X-O posted:

That's not even really subtext or a theory. It's in the text of the story. The 616 Reed is the only recorded Reed that doesn't go evil. Because he's the only one with a family. It's a big part of the arc.

Hah... it feels like I read that a century ago and sad my memory forgot that rather important part. Thanks X-O. Who was it that wrote that or the name of the arc so I can find it again in TPB? I want to say Hickman but it really feels like centuries ago. I always loved my comics since I was a toddler but took a long break until recently. Trying to find TPBs of all those cbrs I used to have. Still want to find those old hard drives as I had like every Batman, X-Men, Avengers, FF, Thor and so on from the start. Was like a treasure trove of comic archives that are probably sitting in some relatives basement/attic.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Hickman was the one that did the council of Reed, yes. They've shown up a couple more times after. His run starts with Fantastic Four #570

X-O posted:

Jonathan Hickman.

Thanks guys. I remember really liking where that went but can't remember much more than I enjoyed it. Going to go find that and order. Still need Strazynski's Thor as well.

MixMasterMalaria posted:

Yeah, it was in the excellent Hickman run on Fantastic Four and Future Foundation. Majors would def work for Reed but I'd hope they'd avoid erasing Ben Grimm's Jewish heritage since I think it's relevant to his character. Elba could be good as Doom, but again, it would come with a set of issues from erasing a prominent Romani character's ethnicity.
Hmm good point. I remember both characters ethnicity feature heavily into the character itself so yeah.... very good point. Now if they could only make a good FF and Doom movie/series that embraced the cool aspects instead of what has come before.

Jetrauben posted:

Loved that enraged-guilty-self-justifying: "I...weaponized Alioth. I ended the Multiversal War!"

Because in that one statement he's admitting to being a greater monster than any other in creation.

There were several moments of his performance I really liked. That was one. That and GROW UP! GROW UP SYLVIE! There feels like thousands of times in stories where the hero is puffing their chest full of short sighted righteous indignation when I wish someone would call them on their BS. I did like Loki hearing him and out taking his time. I know it seemed passive but really... in the face of all of that monologue the reasonable response is to find out more information before leaping forward with sword in hand.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

tsob posted:

I'm sure it is common, but it might be common because people's lived experiences differ and I'd hope that simply noting it while asking if other people perceive it differently doesn't make you lovely. Just because you feel it's blatant doesn't mean other people do. I certainly didn't. If this thread hadn't pointed out that it's homophobic I genuinely would never have known, and even with it pointed out I'm still unsure

I’m going to give you the benefit of the doubt. Sometimes it’s not my personal reaction/life experience or the people’s I know reaction/life experience that matter. If I’m travelling to the southern US and see a sign that says “Jesus Saves” as much as I might like to spray “disclaimer: offer only valid for straight white men” I still wouldn’t. My friends would find it funny but I don’t want to be a jerk so I just think it, chuckle and move on. Why? Because it might make people upset. I would not like to make people upset, even those people. I try and think that maybe I don’t understand how someone who was born and raised like that might feel so try and empathise and see it from their side, even though I don’t see anything wrong with it. Say I meet a guy who has become sober and a big part of his 12 steps is a higher power giving him strength to overcome his addiction. Do I try and force him to realise the power to overcome was in him all along? If I see a woman wearing a hijab do I go into the benefits of feminism and talking about she doesn’t have to wear that in the West? If I see a kid excited about Santa should I tell him that Santa is not real, his parents place the presents and suck it up crybaby? Answer is no to all of those if I want them to feel happy and comfortable. I don’t have to agree and understand anything aside from the simple fact that, if I want to be a decent person then maybe I shouldn’t make them uncomfortable and upset.

When I was 12 I used to use a word many of us did in the early 00s. Later on a friend came out and I wondered why it took him so long. Why was he so nervous? Part of it was his family, part was general society and part was us, his friends. He was worried we would judge him. Why? Partly the language we used growing up. Yes it was commonplace at the time but maybe it’s better if we don’t stick to things as they were back in the day. Part of making a new and maybe far better way is trying to understand things from the point of view of others and accounting on how our actions and words effect them. I’m not white and the people I grew up around were very old school so this was all unknown to me. I had to learn. I’m hoping you were genuine in your lack of understanding as well as not wanting to be a jerk so I am wishing this helps. Funny thing is when we cast aside the old ways and question ourselves we might find out that maybe we share more than we thought at first. Maybe we will also be happier trying to do differently. The old world kinda sucked yaknow.

As an aside I loved Otto Spidey but Goblin’s face and reaction when he realised it was Parker really was the best part of the joke. Mocking Gobbo’s purple hippy hat so far from the 90s would have also been valid. When will we get Pizza Dog?

DogsInSpace! fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Oct 28, 2021

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Parkingtigers posted:

That final 60 seconds alone made season 2 of Punisher worse than all of Iron Fist. All of it.
I'll agree, especially in retrospect but in a completely different way than Iron Fist. Iron Fist and Inhumans was sloppily made by an inept failson. Hellstrom was awful because it couldn't manage to do anything anyone could care about. Punisher S2 was profoundly mediocre but the worst thing about had little to do with the actual show.

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Yeah, well, the "true to the comics" fans are morons when it comes to cops using his logo given how he reacted to the cops that did that in the comics (he ripped the logo off the car and threatened to come after those cops next if he saw them using his logo and doing what he does, because cops are supposed to be upholding an different oath).

Always liked that moment.

Years ago I used to be a Punisher fan. You can blame Garth Ennis Max series with the old rear end Vietnam Vet broken as gently caress Marine but yeah... even back then teen me saw that yeah he was a "badass" but utterly and completely doomed and anyone sane should never want to end up like him. Reminds me how around the time I was reading the comic the movie Sin City came out and had friends talking about how Marv was the coolest and they wanted to dress up as him. Again, you can be a fan of the comic and the character but I would hope that someone would realize they are loving tragic people who have serious issues. Nothing wrong with liking tragic anti heroes but I always felt they didn't really GET they were tragic and/or flawed anti heroes. Worse yet it seemed people into Punisher always got way into "yeah I wanna gun down some of those thug and criminal type" which wasn't even that disguised a decade ago. Even IF the guys making it didn't care enough to realize letting that one bad dad go while cutting to Frank gunning down a bunch of somehow ethnic "thugs" was a bad look, it still was. What made it somehow worse to me, is the show was trying to still be a smart show and not schlock like Punisher:War Zone. They had a successful season and the cameo in Daredevil setting up a great character dealing with relevant and smart themes. Season 2 managed to piss most of that away until the end where we get a "cool" edgy Punisher doing what many of his fans loved. What bothered me most (especially looking back on it) is there was literally no setup for these guys to establish they were another bad group. It wasn't some guys who played a part in the main plot who got away or had any ties to the main bad guys. They also did nothing to establish they were "bad guys" aside from ethnic urban youths. You can insert like a snippet of conversation talking about gunning peeps down or maybe some women in chains being sold in the background to establish that but nope.... just some young guys who look gangsta that summon Castle gunning them down. Something gross about that, especially how the past few years have gone around the world and especially America. I don't even have to go over the various real life reasons why as we know.

Lots of words about Punisher but I still like noir and tragic, broken characters. Love that alcoholic burned out gumshoe who manages to overcome his demons if only to do a little good in the overpowering darkness. But Punisher? He's like the Charlie Chaplin moustache. Yeah you MIGHT think it looks cool and that Chaplin was hilarious but you don't want to go around wearing one as it will just not lead to anything good. Just let it be retired for a century or so. Buster Keaton and the Marx brothers were better too.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

BrianWilly posted:

Nah it's aiight.

Yeah it’s not as bad as the internets said but a goon, Rarity maybe, mentioned the Eternals were messy bitches and they really are. I actually liked the pace and the tone of some of the film. Parts of it are a very non MCU feeling film and I liked that but the whole was a bizarre hodgepodge of a ton of ideas that just didn’t mesh well. Good idea and poor execution maybe? Glad I finally saw it but what the heck do I know as I saw Thor: The Dark World and didn’t consider it a war crime. Definitely thought making Sprite mortal was a bit silly. I thought she just wanted to be older so maybe just age her to an adult before making her “human.” If this was a mini series they could have had some time where she realised that looking bigger wasn’t the issue but the problem was eternal life in stasis as opposed to just being a kid. Would have had far more weight too. My main view was still would have been a really cool high budget/concept Disney series. Hopefully this reaction doesn’t spook investors and they decide people don’t want weirder space adventures as I want more Cosmic fun. Give me more Celestials and, most importantly, best boy Cosmo the mighty psychic Soviet Space Puppers.

Also as pretty as the scene was I giggled at homeboy flying into the sun.

DogsInSpace! fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jan 18, 2022

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Hah MiracleMan was so good.

Marvel Main Genius talk:
For a long time usually Reed Richards and Von Doom’s genius were often shown to be comparable with Reed’s edge being that he was not as trapped or limited by his ego. Granted, later on Reed was also shown to have an ego that led him to make HUGE reality shattering mistakes. Still sad I stopped reading comics regularly after Doom stopped being god and became Iron Man. But yeah traditionally Doom can care for people but his ego tends to make him force people to follow his way as his way is the best way and if you don’t agree then you gotta go. Reed until the 90s was mostly just a perfect nice genius. Doom was also proficient in magic and COULD have been a contender for Sorcerer Supreme but for that same ego limiting him (via Doc Strange himself). Those two are so brilliant as to be considered alien by most humans. I know comics has its own reality but these guys have mastered EVERY scientific field and discipline, discover new things all the time and can master new ideas or inventions faster than we tie shoes. They are more like gods than men. Reed finds an ancient dead civilisation and needs to figure out their greatest achievements? Give him a week and he will translate the language and figure out how their things work AND maybe make some improvements. Gods.

MCU Stark is a step below that but barely. Comic and MCU Stark again understand multiple fields but not the same mastery as Richards or Doom and not as quickly. Comics Stark was often confounded or disbelieved magic back in the day and more currently just thinks it’s another science but has it mastered it. He did tinker some things to work depending on the writer. Smartest human around but not a god. 100% comic reality super genius.

Banner - comic Banner is smarter but focuses mostly in Biology and chemistry. Dabbles in other fields but far less than his specialty. More real super genius than comic super genius but still.

Pym - Pym is hosed by the MCU and Comics. Depending on the age he masters EVERY field, which doesn’t happen in real life, and has a genius level intellect that has created multiple superior life forms but routinely takes a back seat to the Genius A Team of Stark, Banner and Richards. MCU gave his ultimate Dr Frankenstein arc of ultron to Stark. I know by but still… poor Hank. In the comics it was always hilarious to me as Reed or Stark would figure something out and say “well I couldn’t have done it without my buddy Hank here.” Good boy Hank! Good boy! Now don’t smack any more women. My canon is Comics super genius held down because his pals are jerks and think it’s funny.

Beast - Super Biologist, Chemist and Geneticist with advanced knowledge of everything else. Pre- eminent guru of all things mutant. If Stark or anyone NOT Reed needs some insight they call Beast or Professor X.

Professor X - same thing I said about Beast applies here. He taught Beast. One thing that is often overlooked about Xavier is he can absorb knowledge and life experience. Think about that. You can read or experiment yourself and gain knowledge but reading about, say, the works of Reed Richards is probably like trying to learn another language. Professor X needs to learn Basque? Give him a minute around a native and he can not only learn the language but expressions and local flavours. He can get around Captain America and understand not only tactics but the battlefield experience. He could scan Reeds mind and not only understand his answer to “x” but how and why he got there. Comics don’t go there enough but Xavier is a genius who can absorb the life experience and knowledge of every genius. That is god tier.

Strange - Sorcerer Supreme and doctor. Brilliant and shown to be adaptable to other fields but below those above guys. Still wise and super smart.

Spidey (Parker) - MCU and Comic Stark talk about how he’s gifted and he ran his own company highlighting his inventions and discoveries. Sometimes has figured out Stark and Richards miss. Has knowledge in multiple fields aka polymath but never seems to breach the levels of Stark.

There are more but I don’t wanna waste more time nerding out obnoxiously.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Ror posted:

That’s the classic list, but some of the more recent characters have shot up the rankings pretty fast. Amadeus Cho is usually given a top ten spot and I believe that the technically “smartest” humans currently in the comics are Valeria Richards and Moon Girl, but neither has fully come into their own yet.

Rarity posted:

Everyone forgets about Shuri smgdh

Granted I’ve only recently dipped my feet back in comics but Doom himself mentioned Valeria surpasses him. Still newish and whatnot but if Doom and Reed Richards give you props you have to listen. Riri was talked about being Stark like but, again, doesn’t have decades of building their genius. Same with Moon Girl, Cho and Shuri. I feel bad for Shuri as she’s got the MCU creds to be among the Richards level but nerfed by her actress real life views. Comics Shuri has had over a decade of being at least Stark level if not beyond. Blue Marvel is at least Pym level but, again, kind of relegated to the B team with the occasional A lister saying he’s smart. They really need a Venture style cartoon of the Illuminati guys just being dicks to anyone not in their club. A Robot Chicken skit at least. Yes I still watch Robot Chicken.

Weirdly the guys like Diablo, the Wizard, the Leader, Arnim Zola and Doc Ock get shafted most by the A club. Arnim is a Nazi so gently caress him but the rest are shafted. I remember as a kid reading about the Wizard as a guy who taught himself most of what he knows and that is even more impressive. I think his main issue is he spent years teaming up with a guy called Paste Pot Pete. Nobody is gonna take you seriously if you team up with a dude called Paste Pot Pete.

I miss the days of far out there Future Foundation. FF should be a natural book for high science theoretical fiction that makes Morrison confused. They should regularly consult the top minds in science for the most way out there notions possible. I think it was as Hickman that spoiled me.

Edit: Amadeus Cho was a favourite of mine back in the day and yeah… I like his top 10 status. He was a cool Hulk too despite his mind taking a back seat to his brawn. Skaar, Son of Hulk, had it worse tho.

DogsInSpace! fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Feb 22, 2022

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Technowolf posted:

Does anyone actually like Sentry as a character?
I did at the time; granted, I thought they “borrowed” hard from MarvelMan but still… enjoyed it somewhat. The whole Dark Reign era was one of my favourite and I felt captured the zeitgeist of the time. Loved Norman Osborne as the proto Trump and laugh now as fans online thought the masses going whole hog into following Normie’s “Saviour of Murrica” was totally unrealistic. Sentry being his mentally unstable heavy that Osborne was having increasingly more trouble manipulating was good stuff, or so I thought. Like MG said…

Megillah Gorilla posted:

An interesting idea, done poorly
I wouldn’t have minded more. I still have that copy of his epilogue where his robot pal closes up shop and said we were all dicks. Made me sad.

Infinitum posted:

oh oh, now do Starbrand.

This is still fuzzy memory from long ago but I loved that whole title. Blue collar gently caress up stumbles through his early days of superheroing and goes right to Hiroshima. Oops. Then the title got weird with a burned messiah starting a doom cult and leads to a baby going 2001 on us. Other comics have covered the ground better but still surprised to see that happen from a young pup reading someone’s faded early 80s comics. Kinda blew my mind at the time in 2003-04. Again, good idea and so so (at best) execution. Now I want to revisit both and see how they hold up.

DogsInSpace! fucked around with this message at 02:00 on May 2, 2022

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Infinitum posted:

If you are going to be weird and white knight anything in that post you quoted, please white knight ham instead

It's delicious

Yes he is... oh wait

Only registered members can see post attachments!

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

twistedmentat posted:

I'm trying not to think about when people became Skrulls because that way just lays madness, and its also really dumb.

Somehow i think the US president going "hey kill all the aliens" and that happening in countries that are not the US is really going to go over well. Every gun nut in the world is going to use it to start blasting, at least they made a point to show these people are just going to plug anyone they think might be a Skrull.

Man this was over all quite bad, a handful of decent scenes wasn't going to make up the complete sluggish pace of the entire thing. Honestly, this could have been 2 episodes, your average Star Trek two parter had more going on.

Golden Bee posted:

Like...Asgard. The entire town.

They already showed people just strait up America-ing random people in the streets.

Yaknow if this was done far better I could see this leading up to my favourite Marvel arc from back in the day: Dark Reign. US Prez declares war on the invaders and big CGI army battle where humans are not doing that great versus Gravic when *BOOM* Norman Osborne “saves the day” and becomes the hero of the people. Of course this would have meant introducing ol Normie already but they could have given him a Justin Hammer 2.0 introduction before but whatever. This leads to the very worst of humanity using xenophobia and fear to take advantage and gain power. That feels far more relevant than *whatever* this was. Instead we get more than a bit gross half arsed take that feels like “outsiders are bad unless they can be useful tools.” The big hate speech gets a “well you are gonna be a one term President” rebuttal? Fuuuuuuuuck you.

What a waste. You guys have nailed so many points so I won’t repeat but Jesus. Boring waste that didn’t really do or say anything. There wasn’t even any cool dumb fight scenes. Definitely worse than Kenobi and Kenobi was terrible. Worse than Iron Fist as at least IF had Colleen Wing, the Drunken Master fight and Luke Cage cameo. Only shows this bad are Picard and Inhumans. Picard had nothing but Nostalgia but it least it had that. Inhumans, like SI, also had some good actors and wasted them and had NOTHING going on the entire show. Only excuse Inhumans had was it was an Ike Pearmutter directive that had zero budget and nobody but the actors gave a poo poo. SI had Disney money and somehow still couldn’t even manage to be mediocre or entertaining bad.

Don’t watch it. Not even worth a hate watch. Hopefully Disney Zaslav’s this as fast as they did the far more entertaining (albeit flawed) Willow. Willow was aiight.

DogsInSpace! fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Jul 28, 2023

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Parkingtigers posted:

I went straight into episode 2, and that too was watchable. If the whole series was only this bad it wouldn't have gotten such a poor reputation.

Definitely curious to see how bad it goes downhill from here.
It’s bad. No effort put in almost every aspect. Feels like hardly anyone gave a poo poo to begin with but definitely mid through realised what a POS they were working on and just went through the motions to cash their checks. Anson Mount was cool but there was only so much you can do with silently emoting. He did the hell out of it but the plot was so poor it’s just didn’t matter.
I liked Iwan Rheon in the past but, again wasted. The SFX was fairly mid even in the first two spa but just wait till the end. Again me saying earlier that SI is worse is not praise for Inhumans. I made it to the end and anything is better than wasting time watching such a nothing of a show. It’s not entertaining bad…it’s just lazy, cheap and boring.

twistedmentat posted:

Thank God Anson Mount was cast in Star Trek so he won't be known from Inhumans.

The thing that killed Inhumans for me was when Maximus's coup is on going, he shaves Medusas hair with the same clippers the barber has while she goes "I'll never forgive you for this". It was just such a bad scene.

The only good thing about the show was the lush tropical scenery of Hawaii, I swear it was paid in part by their tourism department.
I don’t know if you remember but the twist at the very end was she could just magically regrow her hair all along which made me remember the haircut scene and groan. It was bad. At least it didn’t waste Disney money and Olivia Colman.
Anson Mount was also a broody cowboy in a fairly decent western show before along with Common and Colm Meaney. Can’t remember the name.

DogsInSpace! fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jul 28, 2023

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Parkingtigers posted:

Episode 7 of my InHumans binge, and Maximus is bringing some actual pathos as someone sad that they are getting everything they wanted. Also, are we getting a "they came back wrong" story? I love a good "they came back wrong" story.

Even for InHumans dislikers, Karnak's powers are one of the most interesting in the MCU, and the pre-visualization of how he dies, highlights all the variables, then recalculates his actions is quite unique in a world of punching and power beams. I want more weird stuff like that.

I am glad you liked it. This isn’t sarcasm btw. Somehow the fact that someone appreciates it would probably make the people behind it feel better. I mean nobody really wants to create something that everyone hates.

I will backup Karnak’s powers being cool. There was an early or mid 00s Karnak mini I enjoyed where he is rocking a more monk like attire that I remember being cool. Loony entropy Monk that can see the weak points in the universe I always thought was rad as hell. Always considered Inhumans being a more twisted mirror of the X-Men a really neat concept that sadly I never really saw a good execution of. Also a giant teleporting Space Bulldog amused the hell out of me. No this isn’t a gimmick post.. I just love me some space dogs.

Cosmo 4 lyfe!

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Bar Ran Dun posted:

They might not know the dark secret of bright green key lime pie. I think that mostly stopped being a thing in the late nineties as dyed food starting being something seen as of poor quality and “natural “ became popular.

I did not know any of this so that is another cool detail. So was dessert back then often strangely coloured? My memories of food back in the late 90s was limited to juice packs, cereal (coooooookie crisp), candy and lunchables. Maybe hot pockets as well (thanks big sis). I feel like the 00s didn’t have strange bright food and food was just food.

maybealabia posted:

Even beyond that, it was obvious that Mobius was eating and enjoying and Loki was being polite company

I thought that was incredibly obvious. Like who hasn’t done that before for family and friends? People get weird about eating alone.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Arist posted:

this mfer just learned tv isn't real and he's very upset about being LIED to

If Mobius and Loki finally gets to ride dual jet skis I will be unnaturally angry if someone comes to post “It’s fake!” I will become like that DS9 meme of Avery Brooks crying myself “it’s real” as I curl into the foetal position.

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Food coloring in general and especially in children’s food was much more widespread. They used to sell flats of brightly colored sugar water in cheap plastic containers. Ice pops with enough dye to change the color of one’s poo poo. Several important dyes red 3, red 40, and blue 1 have been linked in some studies to worse symptoms of things like ADHD. In the states they were widespread for a lot longer than in Europe.

Some people when they don’t like a thing have to construct a reason to not like the thing.

Ahhh… I did not know that. I did see some pictures of crazy jello moulds that were the rage back in the day and it made me glad I wasn’t older. Like ham, oranges and olives suspended in jello. Think the pic was from the 70s.

DogsInSpace! fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Oct 16, 2023

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

TK-42-1 posted:

owen wilson’s earnestness would carry it for 74 seasons

All I ask is the series finale have Owen Wilson and Loki bouncing around on a lake with jet skis. Skis? Skis’? Skises? Ski? Calling English major Goon to the thread.

Also loved the pie scene. Maybe I’m just a part of the problem but it was a nice scene of Loki being an actually good friend to Mobius. Mobius was verging on a mental break and Loki is just letting his bro have a quiet moment of peace eating a lovely pie to feel normal. Spoilers for next ep: Kang calls hot dogs sandwiches and talks about the delights of the Fahrenheit system of reading temperature.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The early 80's and late 70's were a hell of a time to be a kid.

Wtf man. NMS that! Seriously old people… what was wrong with you?

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Soonmot posted:

The Anti-Food Porn thread

We have such sites to show you

Oh god… I’ve been reading for days now and have no desire to eat again. I both hate you and love you.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

maybeadracula posted:

OB is the R2 of the MCU

So who is Chopper?

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

It's the Mengele effect.

He probably doesn’t believe anyone when they tell him it’s the Berenstein Bears either.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Alhazred posted:

I would argue that the first one is still the best. For all it's qualities, Prey is still pretty straight forward. Predator is a satire over 80's action movies (there's literally a scene where they fire their guns impotently into the jungle) while still managing to be a great 80's action movie.

One thing I didn't like about Prey though is that the Predators probably managed to kill her after all. Considering the predators in Predator 2 has her pistol.

Really liked Predator, Predator 2, Predators and Prey. You guys didn’t mention Predators but always thought that was decent. Robert Rodriguez directed it so it’s very much one of his films but you got a really good cast (Danny Trejo, Walton Goggins AND Mahershala Ali? Yes please) and the action is fun.

AVP 1 and 2? AVP 1 was the worst thing a film could be: boring. AVP 2 (or AVP: Requiem) is a profoundly dumb popcorn b movie that is a bit fun. Definitely something you’d catch on a c tier channel for free after the bar closes and you are high as hell. They did one thing right: put the humans in the background while Aliens and Predators kill each other. Again, it is not even remotely good but it is entertaining if you like b movies. I hated the Predator (the one from a few years ago with Key from Key and Peele) more than any of them for a bunch of reasons.

Side note: got a slice of Key Lime pie and thought of this thread. Was a little sad it wasn’t radioactive green in colour. Mobius would have been proud…

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Nybble posted:

Harvey Birdman will never be surpassed, but I’d love to see them try

I personally think that She Hulk could have done a decent job at that. My favourite episode is still when she goes to the retreat of the B tier (I’m probably being way over generous here) super villains.

As far as Daredevil goes - I know it’s not that exciting and kinda cliche but I’d love to see him occasionally realise punching goons isn’t always as effective as effective as being a good lawyer. It’s weird as I don’t have that much faith in any real life legal system but it would be nice to see Matt Murdock realise the system can still work. Again this is weird me saying this as it does NOT meet any of my real world feelings.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

That was the major plot line of the Netflix season with The Punisher.

Matt literally has a long scene where he pulls a Dark Knight Rises and tries to get the police to take in The Punisher to show that people need to believe that the system is still capable of bringing people to justice so everyone doesn't become a vigilante like The Punisher and him.

Oh god. I thought I just remembered a couple of comic arcs but that happened on one of the shows? <sigh>

I still wouldn’t mind seeing it now and then. Queue some new lame super hero who defeats Ultron because his day job is IT janitor and he turns the main avengers server off and on. His name will be Son of Triathalon.

Marsupial Ape posted:

You guys ever watch the Alex Jones deposition videos that were released on YouTube? I did and I want to see C-List Spider-Man villains get interrogated and lose their poo poo just like that. Paste Pot Pete just ranting about Hillary Clinton when asked why he robbed a bank.

Wilson Fisk finally and totally defeated because his new layer, Rose II, accidentally forwarded ALL the texts and vids of crimes to Matt Murdock and Foggy. Matt tried to let them know they sent it to him and they had 30 days to respond but somehow… just didn’t respond so Matt gets to use it all as evidence for the prosecution.

Wilson Fisk somehow still not in jail but decides to make videos about how Steve Rogers is a secret Atlantean and plotting an undersea invasion - please buy these patriot survival packs for 599.99

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Soul Glo posted:

no i’m sorry but you’ll have to visit your local comic book store and beseech the nerds there to catch you up

If he was serious: We also have a subforum called BSS where there’s a QA thread. If this was sarcasm just pretend I said something clever and added a lol afterwards.

Still hoping Thunderbolts ends up decent as I was a sucker for Marvel’s take on the suicide squad. I remember back in the day being horribly amused by Norman Osborn trying to keep it together before going full goblin. Also the arc where they used Man Thing as a teleportation device. It would never happen but I’d love a full Dark Reign saga. I was probably the only person to really enjoy that whole period in comics. Speaking of: they should make both an Ares and Sentry show. The Ares mini was great and I liked him being around. The execution of the Sentry’s story wasn’t the best but the Legion showrunner could make a hell of a show about him. Just wish Disney would go weird more with their properties. Most of Wandavision, Loki and Moon Knight were cool. That Werewolf by Night special was a decent amount of cheesy fun. Oh well.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

EC posted:

The "wrong thread" post above mine was a super long effort lost about digimon characters, so we're just goofin.

Now I want to read the digimon post.

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

It wouldn't be the same because the MCU has an extremely boring version of Taskmaster.

Can we just memory hole that one and bring about comics Taskmaster? Trainer of henchmen and wanna be super villains with a side hustle of Deadpooling it would be a lot of fun. He could even replace TJ Miller and be Wade Wilson’s pal and complain about his students.

Side note: I really hope the D Listers in recovery from She Hulk make a return somehow. Loved that episode. I guess with comic shows and movies we had variety. Give me some weird, some dark, some artsy and some silly among the action scenes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

According to Daniel Richtman, Marvel has trashed the script for the planned Nova TV series and is debating whether to start from scratch or just cancel it.

They also plan to significantly limit the amount of new live-action D+ shows to focus on animation. The new live-action D+ shows are all intended to be "street level" stories and grounded without much CGI (i.e. much cheaper).

Daredevil and Agatha: Darkhold Diaries are the only planned live-action D+ releases for almost two years.

https://twitter.com/DanielRPK

Was this Richard Ryder or Sam Alexander Nova? Sam Alexander Nova was a decent series back in the day but I’m guessing they were going to do Richard Ryder in a Spider-Man like origin story/early days.

Animation has seen a bit of a resurgence so this is good news to me as long as they don’t Zaslav half the product. I’ve enjoyed the What Ifs quite a bit at least and animation could be cheaper to do the more out there ideas.