Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Everyone posted:

I mostly agree, but will take it a step further. Old Loki plays the Timekeepers via illusions and functions as their representative to the rest of the TVA. Renslayer runs the agents and missions. But the entity that actually runs the TVA is Ms. Minutes. Or, rather, the pitiless artificial intelligence that calls itself Ms. Minutes.

And Ms. Minutes isn't Ultron with his megalomania and daddy issues. "She" is more of a pure AI. If you tell a pure AI you want to reduce poverty in some area by 50%, you're wanting stimulus finding, jobs programs or education. Instead, the AI deploys drone to kill half the households who have incomes below or barely above the poverty line. Because that's how AIs tend to think - the method that will produce that fastest, most efficient solution to the problem at hand.

One of the cooler bits from Person of Interest was how much Harold Finch struggled with trying to teach The Machine ethics and morality so it wouldn't do poo poo like that.

According to what Ms. Minutes told Loki, the Timekeepers' problem was "How do we prevent another Multiverse war?" To Ms. Minutes the obvious solution is to just prevent another multiverse.

lol I'm just finishing up a rewatch of PoI. That was such a good show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

live with fruit posted:

They also pop up in Ant-Man.

I don't remember that, where was it?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Can someone actually say what change is?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Casnorf posted:

I can't imagine any sort of corporate law change that happened around the same time as the crash that could possibly have affected the decision making process in terms of who and how to advertise.

I believe it was literally toys r us having to make a choice on what section of the store to stock the nes in, they went with boys so video games were no longer unisex, but a boys toy. I can't remember what documentary I saw that in our where I read it, but I'm pretty sure that was one of the biggest drives.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
yeah that didn't grab me at all, I turned it off after about a minute

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Doctor Nutt posted:

Yeah but otoh it's important that a comedy series be funny.

Yeah I watch plenty of youtubes that are just a person in front of a green screen. This was annoying and went on way too long.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

The Saddest Rhino posted:

My fav part of deep blue sea is ll cool j surviving to make a rap video of becoming a shark furry hybrid

MY HAT IS LIKE A SHARK FIN

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

swickles posted:

All I want is this vintage University of Florida Gator logo with Loki horns on a t-shirt, but given the various licensing neccessary I am gonna have to bootleg it. Any ideas on how to do that?

photoshop and redbubble

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Show is just cementing that we need more beefy ladies in the MCU.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, if the action is going to be this good, I'm fine with this being the action show.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

holy poo poo yes

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I had a real chuckle at all the little icons, like Hawkeye apparently hating books so much that he shoots arrows through them.

Maybe Clint can’t read.

It's an arrow fletching

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

X-O posted:

Well one of the tie in comics also had Iron Man fighting Fin Fang Foom so I wouldn't take much from that.

did that comic ever finish?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I've actually gotten my dad to watch What If. He loves the MCU and shows, but hates animation.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Big Mean Jerk posted:

They probably won’t review it at all after Black Widow because they’re apparently done with superhero movies. Especially Jay, that little weasel-faced gently caress is determined to poo poo all over any popcorn movie that even vaguely markets itself toward a broad audience.

Jack remains the only good RLM guy aside from Mike, although the latter has had some questionable moments talking about Asian folks.

gently caress Jay, though. That little pimple is a straight-up misogynist.

Are there any you tube movie people who actually like the movies they talk about?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

MikusR posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baba_Yaga The first sentence contains the pronunciation. The emphasis is on the second syllable of second word. I understand why John Wick gets it wrong (those movies use an invented language that has nothing in common with any spoken language).

I was so weirded out when I watched Lost Girl and they pronounced it the right way.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I hope the costume emmy was specifically for their halloween comics accurate costumes.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Bust Rodd posted:

No the heroic CIA guy really undercuts the impact and the message of the film IMO, making a CIA guy the hero in a movie about Africa would be like if Cap had a Nazi on his team in The First Avenger. There were a dozen other ways to add a white American who could positively impact the story, but specifically making them CIA has far reaching implications which does more to make Killmonger’s point for him than it does anything else.

Also the movie looked like poo poo on the big screen, the CGI cat suit fight looks like a 90’s commercial for power rangers toys and I walked out of the theater thinking I needed to get my eyes checked and was relieved when I got home and realized everyone else thought it looked like poo poo too

How many times have you pulled this? We get it, now shut the gently caress up.

The Grumbles posted:

Does MCU Hawkeye actually have honest to God fans? He seems like just the least interesting character in a franchise that has a pretty low archetype bar already. Is it just that people really like comics Hawkeye and are holding out for the character to finally come into his own on screen? Or do kids today actually love Hawkeye in the way that we loved Spiderman? Does Disney just feel like they need to give Jeremy Renner his due with this upcoming series?

I liked the HawkDad aspect and his bits in Age of Ultron with Wanda. Trading him out for Kate is the right move though, Clint was way too influenced by the edgy Ulitmates Hawkeye.

Soonmot fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Sep 15, 2021

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I clicked a Spider-Man one and now I keep getting more of those headlines

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Bust Rodd posted:

Enjoying the gameplay so far, no really interesting villains yet, but I'm definitely feeling like a comic book hero running and jumping and fighting robots.

Oh, there won't be,that's the whole game.

Honestly, the single player is fun and worth a $30 purchase, but as it strays away from the Ms Marvel storyline into the extended Avengers GaaS multiplayer stuff, it rapidly loses it fun. I reinstalled to play the Black Panther content and uninstalled about twenty minutes in. For what it's worth, if you keep playing you want your builds to spawn as many hero orbs as possible, that lets you recharge your powers and the finishing moves that spawn them give you much needed invulnerability while you're using them.

Kamala is a treasure and G. Willow Wilson's entire run should be up on Marvel Unlimited.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
MCU made the eternals good, with Kathryn Hahn, I'm sure Harkness will be good too

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I finished it last night and hit monkey was solid. Had a few laughs, loved the cameos. I hope they do a session 2

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Hawkeye good. Rogers the musical is as trash as I dreamed it could be, I loved it. LARPing scene is good dumb fun. Renner is fine, I really wish he could do the tired exasperation this Hawkeye needs instead of just dour and annoyed, but Stansfield is great.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Daduzi posted:

As someone who hasn't followed any of the press announcements, who exactly was that?

But even without knowing who it was, you obviously picked up that she was supposed to be a big deal, which is what that scene was about. Knowing who she really is, is a treat for us nerds.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Everyone posted:

One of my never-gonna-happen fantasy moments for Hawkeye is that Clint and Kate get in a really bad spot and are saved by Frank Castle and Karen Page (who are still played by Jon Bernthal and Deborah Ann Woll).

I loved Woll and Bernthal so much together. Matt always seemed to treat Karen like a beloved pet that he'd have sex with. Frank treated her like a person he deeply respected.

That was one of the strangers bits of character work that made netflix marvel so good.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Pizza Dog is Mephisto

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Mameluke posted:

So we're supposed to accept that Yelena bought a second vest?

we really traded up from scarjo to pugh. yelena is a loving treasure

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Desperate Character posted:

Yeah I live in Florida and no way in hell am I going to a theatre here

I was going to go, but when I went to get tickets last week the theater was almost full for all showings and they weren't doing seat distancing anymore. I won't see until christmas now and have kind of resigned myself to spoilers.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

StrugglingHoneybun posted:

It's literally a trailer for Dr Strange.
Like, with cuts and music and its a trailer. It'll be on Marvel's youtube next week I bet.

It has no bearing on the spider-man movie it is attached to.
cool cool so when it's offically released we cantalk about the trailer that you can now only see as a post credit scene, but spoliers in the loving tv thread won't kill you

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Raged posted:

Great finale

Worst loving post credit scene ever

Why god why

that's why it's the best. Right up there with Patience

Rarity posted:

Yeah I liked that they held true to Swordsman not really being a baddie

He's obviously not dead though?

Yeah i mean lol if you think an off screen gun shot actually killed the guy who casually swiped away an arrow from his chest and cannoicaly wears a bullet proof suit

Soonmot fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Dec 22, 2021

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Parkingtigers posted:

Oh my god, that was so much fun. Just an absolute delight. Kate and Yelena are just so good together.

I had to rewatch the elevator scene and the hallway chase three more times, that was magical.

Also when Clint goes "you're my partner" just to cut straight to the point was prime Hawkdad material.

I hope the tracksuit bro survived, escaped, and spent a nice Christmas with his girlfriend and his new year resolution is to give up the life of crime and open a little shop selling sportswear.

On the big guy...

I'm so glad he's back, and Vinny D was perfect as always. Not entire happy about the way they made Kingpin feel so... small. I know he's not dead, and physically he dominated that fight scene and tanked a car hit, an arrow to the chest, and a big explosion. But something about the way he's just strolling around getting his hands dirty with the tracksuit bros when he could/should be delegating all that. And then wandering around a back alley all by himself badly battered, because there's no escape plan in place. It's all fine by itself, but for the Kingpin it all felt a bit low rent. Everything else was spot on, but he came across as a bit goofy and unthreatening in his floral shirt and inability to delegate.

It's that he expected to just pull a quick intimidation move and vanish, only things went tits up

i was so glad that there was no forced romance between widow and hawkeye originally, that they were just close frIENDS. More media needs to show intimate platonic friendships between men and women. But now i'm fully onboard the new hawkeye and widow shipping train

Soonmot fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Dec 22, 2021

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

biracial bear for uncut posted:

That was a malfunctioning Doombot! :doom:

EDIT: As if Juggernaut or Magneto would give a gently caress about 9/11 except to be mad they didn't do it first.

ummm... i got some news for you about the juggernaut...

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

bobjr posted:

So is there being a Broadway show about Loki's attack on New York City kind of like there being a Broadway show about 9/11, based on the response to the attack in universe?

no because the incident ended with the avengers saving the day and 911 ended with america going all in on war crimes and domestic surveillance

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Rarity posted:

She complimented her fighting moves and tracked her mum for her, that's basically the bloodthirsty assassin version of BFFs

i was honestly disappointed that yelena didn't comment on kate's shakey superhero three point landing after she follwed yelena down the zip line

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

twistedmentat posted:

I had no idea that canonically Yelena is Ace, so no Kate and Yelena kiss, oh well, its also important that asexual people need superhero representation too.

But on their fight, I love how its very clearly two people trying to beat each other but not hurt them in the process. Yelena is trying to get past Kate, and Kate is just trying to stop her. Not injure her in any serious way. Why they were both surprised when Kate smacked Yelena right in the face. But the whole Yelena and Clint thing wrapped up pretty much as i expected. He tells her what actually happened, and gets through to her and they both realize they're hurting because of Nats death. They can bond over that.

With Kingpin there's no way he's dead, they don't bring him back just to have him shot in the alley. Even if they don't do the direct comics thing where Echo blinds him, it can still be a "I could have killed you there but I didn't. go don't bother me again. But it was great seeing him as full on terrifying comics Kingpin, tossing Kate around like it was nothing, requiring her to out think rather than outfight him. He had a diamond topped cane!

My pitche for season 2, spoilered because it deals with stuff from the finale Kate opens a detective agency, because that's what she does, Yelena shows up and tells her by not killing Clint, meant she quit her for hire assassian job and not knowing what to do, she came to the one person she likes place. From there we get a team of assassins coming after Yelena, and she and Kate have to defeat them. Here's where you get a street level villains team version of Thunderbolts. You could have John Walker come back, but also like Fixer, Beetle, Absorbing Man and of course Bullseye. Probably keep Moonstone out of it because someone who can go toe to toe with Captain Marvel might be a bit much for the two.

I'm ace and I say let them kiss!

Ace discourse, including my non graphic example of my own attractions: (also, asexual people exist on a spectrum in regards to how much or little physical intimacy bothers or repels them. Romantic feelings towards a partner can be a prime factor in this with some aces engaging in sex because they enjoy pleasuring their partner. This is where I fall. Gross, don't touch me unless I am madly in love with you and then, sure we can, but what if instead we bake an awesome cake an eat it instead?)

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Rarity posted:

Pugh and Steinfeld's chemistry is pretty undeniable so I say put them together and do a make good by making Shang-Chi ace so him and Katy are platonic besties forever :colbert:

this is a good and correct opinion

twistedmentat posted:

You can't have Asexual Herc, because a big part of his character is his raw sexuality that everyone wants to gently caress him and he is happy to oblige.

I really don't think Katy and Shang should be any more than friends because men and women can be platonic friends but also really close. Also every other woman in the MCU should be super thirsty for Shang-Chi.

Yeah, Herc needs to pan AND a slut

Soonmot fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Dec 23, 2021

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

kazil posted:

Or...the watch was a poorly planned subplot and you are doing mental gymnastics to justify is.

Like the murder mystery. They literally wrapped that up offscreen. "Oh yeah, Mom did that one"

it's a loving mcguffin it doesn't matter

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
the eternals f u c k

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
She was also in the guardians video game!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

DarklyDreaming posted:

For a brief but memorable five minute diversion that contributed nothing to the plot

it made me go, "holy poo poo ruby tuesday, wait, thursday" and that was enough