Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
Maybe I am the dumb consumer but I did like the breather episode to see what's going on the outside world and the fact that the FBI agent is actually doing his job in a way that makes sense.

Also, I wonder if this is also to set up more of Secret Invasion because if you were trying to understand human culture their broadcast are a start?

I do appreciate they are doing House of M with having to use Mutants though, its very well done. Also seeing dead Vision with that zombie like appearance. yuck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

tsob posted:

I presume it's supposed to be part of the sitcom format. Wanda is supposed to be a Sokovian immigrant but talks with a perfectly normal accent too, as another example of people within the world of the sitcom accepting something strange as normal. It's not like the wife in the first was likely to buy Wanda's negligee as a dress in a different style either. The magic show has people accepting a lot of abnormality under the guise of "oh there's an explanation, no matter how thin, so we can accept that". The doctor in episode 3 made no real fuss over Vision running at super speed either. It's just supposed to be something the audience can be in on, but has a thin veneer of acceptability for the people of the show, like Samantha being a witch in Bewitched I'd imagine so they can play around with the differences between what's seen and what's accepted.

Also that he saw Wanda at like 4 months pregnant to giving birth in a day.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Everyone posted:

I kind of love that if Stark and the other Avengers had just, I don't know, helped Wanda get a GED and let her go to college for a couple of years and experience actual normal life this probably wouldn't have happened.

I mean its interesting right: Cap, Tony, Wanda, Banner, Black Widow, and bucky clearly all have unresolved trauma and they'd rather punch their feelings away. But with Wanda, Cap of all people should of known better and got her help.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Alchenar posted:

Yeah it's only Chris Evans and Robert Downy Jr who wanted out. The film focusses on them so the story is about letting go and moving on, but everyone else is around in some form.

oddly though, Chris Evans left a backdoor for him to show up if he changes his mind. I feel like he just needed a break.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

I bet its Quicksilver. Either one.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

The X-man cometh posted:

It could be Mary-Kate and Ashley deepfaked into a Full House 90s scene.

No joke, I would give MCU/Disney all the props on this one.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

That’s where Wanda blows up the Embassy and starts the whole Civil War mess

Also the commercials are essentially going through Wanda's life events.

1. Stark Industries weapons were used in the Skovian war.
2. Strucker experiments on her giving her powers.
3. She joins Hydra.
4. Lagos kicks off the Civil War.

so my two theories are

1. The town is just Wanda's guilt made manifest.
2. If the rumors are true Mephisto needs Wanda to do something for her and is torturing her and Wanda is trying her best to put shine on the situation for the townsfolk.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Terror Sweat posted:

How does he go down steps super fast, you are limited by the speed of gravity when you move downwards, don't give me no speedforce baloney either

fine. Whenever you see that a witch did it.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
Other random bits I liked:

Jimmy Woo actually trying to "work the problem." Instead of you know trying to kill Wanda.
Hex as a nod to her comic powers.
Great acting chops at the end by Paul Bettany and Elisabeth Olsen.
Elizabeth Hahn's acting and 80s work out gear.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

twistedmentat posted:

I'd not be surprised if they go for a late 80s sitcom for the next episode, as there is a good differance between the late 80s/early 90s from the early 80s, and then we get 2000s.

That and there were so few family sitcoms from the mid 90s to like the mid 2000s.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

sticklefifer posted:

Unless they're going for a full recast for the inevitable X-Men integration, I can't believe this would be a one-off. Disney knows fans want them in the MCU, and their promotional material hyping Phase Four is going all-in on Multiverse (Dr. Strange, the next Spider-Man cast, and obviously this show). They already gave us a Multiverse fake-out with Mysterio in Far From Home, so they're not going to do it again with this reveal or it'll piss everyone off.

It seems like they want to bring the popular parts of the previous properties and integrate it into the MCU, a little like Secret Wars. I also think they want to close the book on some of the other movie universes and give Maguire and Garfield better movies to end on.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Desperado Bones posted:

Surprisingly we are gonna have a Vulture cameo in the Morbius movie. So they are already establishing that all these other characters are part of the MCU universe (or maybe another universe similar to MCU). I'm just laughing my rear end at knowing that Venom is part of it. All I have is wondering if Sony is allowed to use Thanos' snap in their movies.

Disney is just subsidizing Sony at this point it feels like.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

radlum posted:

Considering how unlikely a crossover in the comics is, I guess we could rule out a movie crossover...but maybe one day; I wouldn't rule it out entirely

I guess Stephen Amell and Clark Gregg were trying to figure out a way to crossover Arrow/Agents of Shield but alas.

Also, DC would actually have to like I dunno have a super hero be happy but since they are "adult" that is never going to happen.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
Also they should make a Hulk mini-series where he travels the country as Mark Ruffalo. I just made you billions more Mouse.

Also also, maybe SWORD hates SHEILD and the Avengers?

I was going to say based on timeline Spider-Man might be on the run from the law but we are only a few weeks after the blip so...who knows?

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
Me a dumb person shoveling: Man they are focusing a lot on the fact that no one knows how they got there.
Me connecting the dots: Wait...that's Fox X-Men Pietro...we don't know how he got there.

MY GOD, it's all coming together.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
A few things I noticed:

1. I think one of the movies in the background is Night of the living dead.
2. When Wanda starts talking to the community watch guy, did anyone notice the person in the plague mask is looking at Wanda the whole time?
3. I think they are playing both sides with Agnes because she is dressed as a witch and has white hair. Much like Emma Caufield's character who was suppose to be the whole center of this or Pietro who feels like he is trying to manipulate her. On the other hand, she was just passing through might also be true as her car is not from NJ.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It turns out there's a secret seventh infinity stone to summon a wish granting dragon, episode 8 is mostly screaming powerups, and 9 is a coda for time travelling... I dunno, Deadpool, let's go with Deadpool.

Is the Gold Infinity stone still in Marvel continuity?

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

swickles posted:

Honestly suprised it wasn't that for obvious reasons, but I think MitM fits the aesthetic and worked for what they were going for. It does make me want Bryan Cranston in the MCU now though.

Also, I am starting to think this Hayward guy is a bad egg.

I mean MitM fits because the charade is breaking down right?

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

QuoProQuid posted:

Yeah. It sucks to see reasonable objections to the woman who took over an entire town be put in the mouth of a stock villain so that we can accept the questionable logic of Rambeau and others

Eh...I mean all Monica has asked for more time and Jimmy has asked to work the case before they make a rash decision on whether to kill Wanda.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Spacebump posted:

The Simpsons had 1 episode in the 80s. Out of all the decades that could claim it, that's the least likely. Home Improvement would have worked. They could have just done a riff of all the 90s era TGIF family shows. Dinosaurs would have been inspired. Really wish we could have gotten some fake Seinfeld music in the episode.

I think the better way to think about this that even something like Home Improvement while in the 90s is still heavily influenced by the family comedies of the 1980s. Malcom in the Middle is the only fairly unique thing in that genre from the mid - 90s to early 2000s. It's why Modern Family is the 2010s because it revived and modernized the family comedy genre.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Vintersorg posted:

Wish Life in Pieces was well regarded - loved that show. :(

That's the Donal Louge and Megan Pryce show right?

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

massive spider posted:

I’m fairly sure quicksilver got killed off on his first appearance because he’s absurdly overpowered. In the fox movies it’s a bit of a plot hole that the x men really should just use him for everything.

eh my guess is that MCU before the merger had to pick which twin they wanted long term and Fox got to use the other one.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

enki42 posted:

I don't think the issue was that Valkyrie is a woman, it's that having a character have relationships with two successive Asgardian monarchs is a little weird.

To be fair Asgardians are ridiculously attractive.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

seaborgium posted:

Why a sitcom is easier if you ask "Why not a movie?" Movies end. There's a "Happily Ever After" but that happens off screen and so does it really happen? Sitcoms can go on forever, they can change form, change format, even change characters, but you can keep going. There's been soap operas on the air for 40 years straight with the same storyline and sometimes the same actors. If she doesn't want the happiness to end, it needs to be a TV show not a movie.

Also sitcoms play based on the reality that you know, idealized (for the most part) but somewhat familiar. So its reality but just slightly off from real reality.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Azhais posted:

The Multiverse of Madness is just a used car sale as it turns out

Why are they all yellow classic cars?

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

swickles posted:

They are all Bumblebee. Transformers are in the MCU now.

Fair enough.

Also in case my joke was poor.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

QuoProQuid posted:

Deeply disappointed with this direction. I guess I’ll watch the finale but I can’t help but feel this show wasted its potential.

Reveal was fun though.

What's disappointing about this?

So...during the advertisement this week Was the nexus symbol the bifrost symbol?
Also, I love the transition from Modern Family to modern horror with the lighting and letterboxing. They certainly get ambiance down.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Infinitum posted:

It's literally the Nexus. It's a gateway to alternate realities

So...Man-Thing?

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

QuoProQuid posted:

I've always viewed the theorizing about a chessmaster controlling everything from the background to be more about absolving Wanda of culpability than about thematic consistency. Having it be "Agnes all along" lets both the show and the broader franchise argue that Wanda was not responsible for the worst aspects of Westview, avoiding uncomfortable questions that might make audiences question her inclusion as a hero in the broader franchise.

WandaVision's need to fit inside the MCU (both in terms of the world and the studios plans for it) have always been the weakest parts of it. It isn't surprising that the writers went this route but I cannot help but feel there was a more elegant, complex way to explain the Maximoff Anomaly in a way that didn't undermine the show's central meditation on grief.

E: I kind of expected the show to go this direction with how much it has coddled the main character. It's hard to go more than five minutes without some character reminding the audience that Wanda really loves Vision or what a good person she is. The only people who dislike Wanda or question her motives are clearly villainous psychopaths.

I dunno man, Both things can be true, Wanda could of started this off in her grief and also be manipulated if people were attracted to her power. Grief is a complex thing that very few people know how to handle.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
Also with the reveal that it was Agatha all along!~ I am wondering if Agatha is also under the control of someone else because she is also breaking the 4th wall, kinda implying there is something controlling her too. Also isn't she traditionally a hero? My other theory is that Westview is and is residence are natively supernatural? That is why magic users are drawn there but Agatha isn't from this universe since she is quiet after all.

Also, if you haven't seen Modern Family, Elizabeth Olson is doing a great homage to the delivery of Julie Bowen who is the main mom of Modern Family.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

StrugglingHoneybun posted:

Cut 4 ways.
The fantastic 4!

And the piles of cut off crust are the Thing

A bit early for Secret Wars 2?

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

DukeofCA posted:

It's crazy because I've just been binging Modern Family since the whole series went up on Hulu and this was my exact thought.

Yah its not a parody or an impression but its so in the spirit of how Julie Bowen talks on Modern Family.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Sanguinia posted:

At least since bringing everyone back involved ultimate space magic you can imagine "and also Tony accounted for all the bad things like

and resource related problems and productivity concerns and made sure they'd all be covered magically."

Like, Thanos obviously didn't care, which is why they go out of their way to portray things like plane crashes in the wake of his snap, but Tony would.

I assume that Banner's thought was everyone who was directly killed or taken away by the blip is brought back safely and closely as possible to their old lives.

Also, Thanos could of wished for INFINITE resources since Infinity Stones are magic anyways but he is a bad person so that is why he picked the other route. Like, I wish they had shown that he was kinda of insane before Titan went under because then his whole motive would of been clearer.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

swickles posted:

I feelnits disinguine to say the Hilk brought back everyone safely but also Thanos's actions led to more than a 50% death rate. All the stones together confer omniscientents as well as omnipotence, so snapping out birds and bugs probably wasn't an issue. In fact it probably solved a lot of endangered species since the breeding pairs were survived

Honestly, the writers should of basically kept it to all sentient life because "half of all life of all species" seems like the ecological devastation is too much. Also, i think they could of explored a little bit that Thanos didn't put himself in the random genocide because he clearly used the stones to survive. I KNOW why he had to from a narrative stand point but it would of been an interesting way to end his quest.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Thing is, the whole idea that they basically go 'we're not going to prevent it in the first place, we live with the consequences' gets kinda silly.

Eh I get it with their theory of time travel, they can't prevent it, it already happened. All they can do is restore the people who were unceremoniously killed.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

feedmyleg posted:

Hello I would like a low-stakes Spider-Man movie where he takes on Scorpion or Kraven or Chameleon and nobody else with no cameos from other Marvel characters and no tying up of plot threads from other movies, please. Thanks.

I'm sorry, that's not on the menu. Can we give you a Spider-Man movie with all the Spiders-Men?

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
So my guess is the next two episodes are one dealing with the internal fight in Westview, Agathan and then finding out there is some big secret about Westview that Heyward wants and Wanda and Vision fighting SWORD in the last episode.

My other off the wall theory is that Agatha is from a dimension that is destroyed or dying and that is how she was able to pull Fox Pietro and is mad that no one helped her saved her universe or something.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Infinitum posted:

If anyone is going to be revealed as Mephisto, it will likely be Hayward.

Yah this is where I am with it.

Next episode is the last episode and hast to resolve all of this and set up the MCU Phase 4 movies right?

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Thundercracker posted:

He had the 3star version. Of course he wants the 5star limited time version.

This is a foil rare Vision. It plays the same but looks so cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
I mean Heyward is a manipulative bastard, he shows the video to everyone of Wanda breaking into SWORD and it turns out Whoops she had a relatively civil and clam conversation with him. She didn't break in and steal vision, he made it look that way. And it keeps the troops map and not focused on what he is doing.